Tension in the early 2000's lineup

It all comes down to bad management and weak (if any) leadership.

The only ones in that lineup with leader quality were Axl and Tommy, so perhaps Tommy might have gone a little too bootcamp on the freak-section of that lineup when Axl wasn't around.

Robin and Bucket...their overall approach in GNR was actually kinda similar - both are expressionists and have cultivated their own unique "act", while at the same time not even trying to copy Slash.

I loved that lineup, still do. The musicanship was absolutely excellent.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

I know this is very “I know a guy who knows a guy” but my buddy runs sound at a venue bucket played in the past couple years and he got to talk with Bucket’s tour manager. Bucket really liked Axl but hated being in Guns N Roses because he can’t stand drinking or drugs. He’s never touched the stuff. Essentially up until 2009 Axl had been calling him and offering ungodly amounts of money (evidently Ozzy does, too). 

Bucket also stays in cities minimum 30 minutes away from where he is playing that night so he isn’t recognized. All Bucket wants is to play guitar and be left alone. His tour manager has to take him to the store just to make sure he gets some social interaction, otherwise he wouldn’t at all. But by all accounts he is a super sweet and gentle guy. He gave my buddy a toy, he assumed it was bucket’s way of saying he liked the sound.

Of course, take this all with a grain of salt. The tour manager has no interest other than making his artist look good, and I’m sharing this through another person, but it seems to track with other things we’ve heard.

So I guess the anonymity thing doesn't work if he wears the mask all the time😄.

28 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I get why people don't like Chinese and I understand that no single album could ever be worth "trading in" the old band, but Axl really captured lightning in a bottle again with Bucket and Robin. The early NuGNR lineups are interesting to say the least.

Agree. I thought it was interesting.  Axl didn't hire some backup band that stood in the background. For most of the world, the first look was at the 2002 MTV awards, I'm sure most people were like "wtf is this". I know a lot of people were turned off by it, but I loved it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ratam said:

Maybe Bucket have autistic syndrome.

You are probably thinking about the outed term Autistism Spectrum. Just a reminder that none of us are in a position to label or make judgement. Just going off what we know, maybe something similar to Asperger Syndrome. Remember our personal opinion is not a professional opinion by a medical professional in the mental health field. 

2 minutes ago, Billly B said:

You are probably thinking about the outed term Autistism Spectrum. Just a reminder that none of us are in a position to label or make judgement. Just going off what we know, maybe something similar to Asperger Syndrome. Remember our personal opinion is not a professional opinion by a medical professional in the mental health field. 

Was only a supposition for my part , not was my intention label or judgement, just my feeling, i know people very talented with this Asperger syndrome, i not mocked about Bucket :unsure:

• Like 1

There was an interview with Buckethead not too long ago where you could hear him speak as his real self, the actual person behind the act - came across a pretty normal and quite sane dude, nothing too freaky at all.

Edit: found the link -

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, adamsapple said:

There was an interview with Buckethead not too long ago where you could hear him speak as his real self, the actual person behind the act - came across a pretty normal and quite sane dude, nothing too freaky at all.

Sure, in so much as doing a podcast with your new age life coach wherein you disclose the 'work' you've been doing on yourself is pretty normal. 

But I take your point. He seemed like a sweetheart.

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Only Axl would recruit Buckethead into his band and then have him play second fiddle to Finck. :facepalm:

He squandered the potential of that lineup.

This, This and fucking This.

Bucket must have been there scratching his kfc bucket, looking at Finck playing guitar, in complete and utter disbelief.

Edited by marinergtfc

34 minutes ago, Creed said:

Finck sucked Marilyn Mansons dick and Finck and Freese recorded in the Polanski/Tate House + installed the 'pig' door in the other studio. 

And don't forget the guy with the jersey, the braids, the mickey voice and the botoxed face, who called these guys 'guns n' roses'

Axl was just letting his freak flag fly, I guess.

Although I'm glad that Nu GNR no longer exists  and that Slash and Duff are back in the band, it makes you wonder why Buckethead needs a gimmick and can't talk without his mask nor puppet. There's some sort of issue there and you hope that he is getting the help that is needed. 

1 hour ago, Creed said:

musically you can add brain as well. he is not a rock n roll drummer.

Brain did say about deciding to join Guns that he 'wasnt sure if he wanted to play rock.' But he's done some incredible rock music elsewhere prior to Guns. I think he's an amazing rock n roll drummer even if thats not his main passion. Must piss off drummers who are focused on rock that he's such a natural. He's better then Guns current drummer at rock n roll to say the least.

This is him rockin pre Guns. I cant decide if this should be counted in 4's or 6/8 (I think both - I think its polyrhythmic) but either way, Its Five O'Clock Somewhere has some odd meters too and is squarely a rock n roll album.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Edward Nygma said:

I'd love to hear what remains of Bucketheads recorded Guns material & Finck's but I'll be very surprised if we hear any of it & without it being rehashed or whatever.

Same.  I would have liked to have heard songs more in a direction of Oh My God, Silkworms, Shackler's, Madagascar. While I loved Velvet Revolver, I was kind of getting sick of "rock" music, in general.  I would have liked to have heard a Moby produced album from this lineup.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Robin and Bucket...their overall approach in GNR was actually kinda similar - both are expressionists and have cultivated their own unique "act", while at the same time not even trying to copy Slash.

That's why those line-ups from 1999/2000 2001/2002 are my favourites. Every musician had his own signature sound and stage presence. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 3