Jump to content
Live Like a Suicide

What is your quintessential Guns N' Roses song?

Recommended Posts

On 3/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, El Guapo said:

Interesting that about nobody (me included) here thinks of SCOM, which most people would probably choose.

 

People don't wanna pick it cuz it's the cliche choice, but it would be a strong #2 in my book next to Rocket Queen. Both of them show how the band could kick ass in a gritty hard rock kind of way, but they could also nail the more emotional stuff as well as any rock band ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estranged, this song is just perfect in so many ways, eargasm and I use Reckless Life/Out Ta Get Me when I want a boost of motivation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Creed said:

Well, correct me if i'm wrong, but CD is the most expensive album ever made. In 2004 the production costs were 14.000.0000$. How much copies did they sold? 6 million? 

I thought that was the main motivation for the record company in doing a greatest hits. The RC recouping money incase  CD was a commercial failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% Nightrain

The song got everything that I need in a song. Good groove straight on rock n roll!
I do believe it is the first Guns song i heard. My brother got the Tokyo gig on VHS, and that tape got it's fair share of reruns!

Nightrain is the only song I can play on repeat all day long and never get bored!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Snytefant said:

My brother got the Tokyo gig on VHS, and that tape got it's fair share of reruns!

For the life of me I'll never understand why the fuck they put that dud gig out as a DVD, its fuckin' crazy.  They have so many wild stonking performances that'll blow your fuckin' hair back like a trip in the DeLorean and the best they could fuckin' think of was that shit, it very nearly put me off rock n roll as a genre for the simple fact that I was really little when I got into Guns n Roses and being of limited resources I'd only seen like three videos and listened to the albums and the rest I had to like, imagine what they must be like live and then I see this gig and its like...wow, OK, thats kinda...lame.  I mean don't get me wrong it has its moments and when you're a kid any fuckin' thing'll do, especially when you have nothing to really compare it to but when i got older I saw like The Ritz, Indiana 91, Chicago, even St Louis (which everyone slags off but its not like it was cut short after 3 songs, they got the majority of the gig done) and what do they release?  This pile of Japanese shit, it makes you think like there's someone on the inside trying to sabotage this band or something, I mean for a band that spends SOOOOO much time working out what to release its like c'mon lads, fuckin' hell, what point were you trying to make releasing that?  To a little kid just like getting into rock n roll the last thing you want is a Matt Sorum drum solo.

 

Now thats a performance!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm a song that represents GNR.. with reference to the 80/90 s: Dont damn me or Back of Bitch and Get in the ring. Those songs represent their "fuck you all" attitude and great rock songs. My favourite of these: Don t damn me. 

which song represents GNR nowadays: no idea... they have become "toothless" . no more anger. always punctual.. double talkin jive maybe. I think 90 s Axl would laugh at 2019 Axl regarding several things (selling vip tickets for tremendous prices without even meeting a member of the band instead of writing new music, having become a  predictable act and so on) . haha.. I sound quite frustrated now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, Sosso said:

Welcome to the Jungle 

I agree. Welcome to the Jungle is my go to song for GNR. Never get tired of hearing this song.

At the time of it's release, this was the one song that everyone knew represented GNR to a T!

I'm sure it still does!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

For the life of me I'll never understand why the fuck they put that dud gig out as a DVD

It was most likely the plan before they even played the shows. They filmed and recorded the Tokyo shows specifically for release.  They took the best of both nights and released it. It would have had to of been pretty bad for them to just scrap the whole thing.  Them knowing it was being filmed probably made it less spontaneous than most Guns shows.. All in all I still thought it was pretty good. I prefer the audio over the video though just because Axl looks so foolish in those outfits...

It is just a damn shame that they don't give us some more shows from the classic era though.  Such a waste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It was most likely the plan before they even played the shows. They filmed and recorded the Tokyo shows specifically for release.  They took the best of both nights and released it. It would have had to of been pretty bad for them to just scrap the whole thing.  Them knowing it was being filmed probably made it less spontaneous than most Guns shows.. All in all I still thought it was pretty good. I prefer the audio over the video though just because Axl looks so foolish in those outfits...

It is just a damn shame that they don't give us some more shows from the classic era though.  Such a waste

I dunno, even the sound was kinda...tinny a bit, I’m not sure why.  Perhaps my childhood impression of like, y’know it was the first live thing I ever saw and it sound so much less beefy than the heavily overdubbed album version...but at that age you dunno what an overdub is, you think the shit just sounds like that...then when you get something as crap as this its kinda a big letdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

For the life of me I'll never understand why the fuck they put that dud gig out as a DVD, its fuckin' crazy.  They have so many wild stonking performances that'll blow your fuckin' hair back like a trip in the DeLorean and the best they could fuckin' think of was that shit, it very nearly put me off rock n roll as a genre for the simple fact that I was really little when I got into Guns n Roses and being of limited resources I'd only seen like three videos and listened to the albums and the rest I had to like, imagine what they must be like live and then I see this gig and its like...wow, OK, thats kinda...lame.  I mean don't get me wrong it has its moments and when you're a kid any fuckin' thing'll do, especially when you have nothing to really compare it to but when i got older I saw like The Ritz, Indiana 91, Chicago, even St Louis (which everyone slags off but its not like it was cut short after 3 songs, they got the majority of the gig done) and what do they release?  This pile of Japanese shit, it makes you think like there's someone on the inside trying to sabotage this band or something, I mean for a band that spends SOOOOO much time working out what to release its like c'mon lads, fuckin' hell, what point were you trying to make releasing that?  To a little kid just like getting into rock n roll the last thing you want is a Matt Sorum drum solo.

 

Now thats a performance!

I couldn't agree more, I never understood it either.  It just had a sterile, antiseptic(if that makes sense) feel to it.  My favorite part of that vid is probably a drunk Duff trying to explain his role as conductor in the band.😄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I couldn't agree more, I never understood it either.  It just had a sterile, antiseptic(if that makes sense) feel to it.  My favorite part of that vid is probably a drunk Duff trying to explain his role as conductor in the band.😄

The musical performances were no problem for me but axls wardrobe changes have gotten more of a joke over time. Duff off his face talking about his role as a conductor, and slash giving the finger out of the limo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I saw like The Ritz, Indiana 91, Chicago, even St Louis (which everyone slags off but its not like it was cut short after 3 songs, they got the majority of the gig done)

Real Guns nerd secretly, aren't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Real Guns nerd secretly, aren't you?

The live gigs of theirs I’ve seen on video are Rock in Rio 2001 i think it was or 04?  Plus Indiana, St Louis (got em bootleg DVD off ebay), the CBGBs one, Ritz...plus saw em for myself in 2006 in Hammersmith.  I think I’ve seen the Chicago one, if not all of it then a fair bit of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Len Cnut said:

The live gigs of theirs I’ve seen on video are Rock in Rio 2001 i think it was or 04?  Plus Indiana, St Louis (got em bootleg DVD off ebay), the CBGBs one, Ritz...plus saw em for myself in 2006 in Hammersmith.  I think I’ve seen the Chicago one, if not all of it then a fair bit of it.

Proper nerd. We all know what you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Proper nerd. We all know what you are. 

I been into em since I was 10, thats longer than some forumers have been alive :lol:  Might've even been 9 actually, I remember it was proper young.  The friends sister who copied the tape for us deliberately left out Get in the Ring cuz apparently we weren't old enough.  She left Shotgun Blues in though, oddly.  That was like one of my favourite GnR songs as a kid, surprised to find it was/is considered something of a shitter in the Guns pantheon.  I loved em from 92 to 95, got a little back into em after the VMAs and around the time Chi Dem came out then it all died again when it became clear that it was just same old fuckeries.  This forum has a great deal to do with my resurgence of interest for them.

Edited by Len Cnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I been into em since I was 10, thats longer than some forumers have been alive :lol:  Might've even been 9 actually, I remember it was proper young.  The friends sister who copied the tape for us deliberately left out Get in the Ring cuz apparently we weren't old enough.  She left Shotgun Blues in though, oddly.  That was like one of my favourite GnR songs as a kid, surprised to find it was/is considered something of a shitter in the Guns pantheon.  I loved em from 92 to 95, got a little back into em after the VMAs and around the time Chi Dem came out then it all died again when it became clear that it was just same old fuckeries.  This forum has a great deal to do with my resurgence of interest for them.

What's kind of strange reading about some of these songs is that it has been years since I've listened to a lot of them.  I should revisit them, would sort of be like hearing them anew. Maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Don’t Damn Me

heart on sleeve lyrics and Slash ripping up

’If I damned your point of view would you turn the other cheek?!’

The song nails GNR 

I love slashs solo in that song.

Smokem if ya gottem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best example of everything they do that I can think of is Move To The City. It has the horns and extra instruments that the Illusions and Chinese are known for. But on the other hand it is also a short rock song with personal lyrics like Appetite and Lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

The best example of everything they do that I can think of is Move To The City. It has the horns and extra instruments that the Illusions and Chinese are known for. But on the other hand it is also a short rock song with personal lyrics like Appetite and Lies.

Hm.  Interesting choice since you explained why.  I'd never even think of that song to 'define' GNR, but you made some valid points.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×