Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

I get that its completely selfish, but yes, another warm up gig would completely ruin what many of us have dreams of for Vegas. Obviously they'd still be good shows, but it negates all the excitement leading up to it. Especially considering they outright said this will be the first time you see them on stage.

Listen, they can do whatever they want. We can't really be "mad" about more real GNR shows. But the bottom line is they have told us nothing. People have spent a premium to be at these gigs, whether it be the purported first gigs in Vegas or Coachella. They have spent that money based on about 10% of information given out to them. To then spring a surprise warm up show would be pushing it. Eventually it will be one thing too much for many fans, and personally I think if you do anything before Vegas its gonna really turn off a lot of people. It would really spoil what many have spent money on to make a historic weekend.

• Like 1

Also, I'm not really sure where they are pulling the Eddie Trunk quote. If he did say that, I love the guy but he's gotta shut the fuck up. But all I've seen him say was he will be there: 

Eddie Trunk Retweeted greg davis

Thanks. I may have some @gunsnroses pre Vegas stuff going myself. Details if confirmed

I take that to mean his book signing stuff. I know he's friends with the guys, but I don't believe he's getting any exclusives with them and I also doubt HE announces something. I take what he means to be solo stuff, ie. a book signing, a meet and greet for HIS fans. Nothing GNR related, but just happening around that time in the area. I think the quote from his blog, which I have indeed checked and is there, is more along the lines of the same thing. A stupid way of wording that HE might be having something, not Guns.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

I gotta say, some of you are making too much of an issue over rehearsals. These guys are all professional musicians, they don't need to play these songs everyday in order to be ready. They practiced them earlier in the year, just to get used to them, now they are taking some time off. They probably only need a couple run throughs before the gigs in order to be ready to go at this point. Yes of course it would be nice to know that Axl attended a rehearsal or two, but we don't know that he didn't. He might not of attended every single one, but perhaps he listened to recordings of them or something?

I say all this as a former gig playing musician, and once you have the song down, it's down. You don't need to play it every single day after that. Usually once a twice before the show, just to make sure it's good is all you need. Plus we forget that Slash and Duff (especially slash) have been playing most of these songs fairly frequently anyways. Not to mention they have been playing them for 30 Plus years. Like really, how many times does slash really need to practice paradise city or SCOM at this point? Even the guys like Fortus and Frank have these songs so memorized at this point, it's really not something to worry about.

To quote Allen Iverson "we ain't talkin' about the game, we talkin' about practice."

• Like 1

I would be surprised if there was no warm up show, for members of the band from different eras, with different inturpretations of songs to get up and play an arena when they have never played together in front of audience. Wouldn't you rather they had a live run through first?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Archtop said:

I would be surprised if there was no warm up show, for members of the band from different eras, with different inturpretations of songs to get up and play an arena when they have never played together in front of audience. Wouldn't you rather they had a live run through first?

Not really. And I truly just think the Vegas arenas shows are considered the run through. In my head, which doesn't account for much, it makes sense that this "warm up" is bigger than the previous ones. We had Vegas HOB in 2000 before the Rio 2001 shows, which sounds awfully similar to the Vegas arena warm ups before Coachella we're experiencing right now. There's also Hammerstein Ballroom in 06 before the tour started like a week later. Neither of those had "warm ups" before those warm up gigs, although I certainly understand why people think there would be. I just think this makes natural sense, that these are the warm ups and its a bigger venue simply because this incarnation of the band is a bigger deal than the ones we've had before. Had they done small secret warm ups before those other big show openers, or really any secret shows BEFORE a tour, I'd say it makes sense. But for better or worse, Axl seems to like to go out there and prove it for a paying audience.

4 hours ago, Archtop said:

Springsteen does full run-thoughs of several different setlists before a tour starts. In an arena, with the full lighting rig and everything, just without a crowd. I don't think there needs to be a crowd to do a live run to make sure the band is on target.

• Like 2

If this was going to be the 3rd and 4th show in Vegas the place would not have sold so fast and tickets wouldn't be so much.  Hell I would just stay home and wait for the tour to come close by. So yes, it is fucked up because I am paying top dollar to see Slash and Axl on stage FOR THE FIRST TIME in 23 years. 

• Like 2

If by chance they do a surprise gig before Vegas, and there's a specific invite, and someone on that list is qualified and can get an interview out of the band, that is the only way I would be for it. If they do it just to test out how things would go, idk that would seem like a bad move. 

Edited by Billsfan

9 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Also, when was the last time Izzy said anything? Seems to me he went quiet.. Hmmm

He's posted a few videos of artists singing/covering songs, but that's about it. Maybe he's just getting bored of Twitter already, or there's some other reason behind it.

I think that would be a great thing to see, the reunion happening first in the Whiskey or Troubadour of all places. What could be more fitting? You only have to flick through Canter's Reckless Road to see why this would be the perfect relaunch - history comes full circle; Whiskey, Troub, Roxy - these are the Mecca and Medina of Guns N' Roses' past (and rock n' roll past). It would be a much better introduction than some unplayed historyless (currently unfinished) Vegas complex. The gig will be better than the arena gig because, club gigs are inherently better than arena gigs, and the action will be close-up and intense. Even people not present in person - the great majority - will see up-close photos and clips (perhaps it will be filmed for official consumption?). I cannot believe some spoilt brat would deny the world this opportunity just because they splurged little Tarquin's education fund on Vegas.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Failing to capitalise Muhammed's holy cities
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

He said what he wanted to say. What else is there to do?

I'm just glad he had enough respect for the fans to clarify things which the management of GN'R/affiliated parties weren't going to.

Or throw a diversion. Or play a negotiating tactic. You never know.. But I'll agree that even if he lied at least he communicated with the fans since no one else appears like they want to