Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

12 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

According to Wikipedia they are both 49. Turning 50 this year.

Essentially, they are old enough to have been in a successful band of their own, did not have luck with that, and are now the same age as old Guns members and playing their music on a "reunion" tour.

Ok. Thank you. 

I don't get why you added extra information, actually opinion, in the answer to my question. Lol.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My deal remains this; Frank is my favorite drummer they've ever had, so of course I'm totally down with him being involved. Fortus, though not Izzy for sure, is a bad ass in his own right so I'm cool with him doing the job especially if Izzy doesn't want to for any reason. Dizzy doesn't matter to me one way or the other outside of the fact that they probably DO need a keyboardist to do many of the songs I like, so it might as well be him. On top of all of that, I'm (of course) down with Axl, Slash & Duff being at the helm of the whole operation.

HOWEVER..............

I can totally see how any number of those people wouldn't make someone else happy. I honestly DO think some folks across the forums are bitching just to bitch, but I also think there's a great deal of people who are just plain concerned and voicing their concern.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I honestly DO think some folks across the forums are bitching just to bitch

That is the majority of guns "fans" my dear Sir, especially on this forum :D

Just now, shjtjustgotreal said:

That is the majority of guns "fans" my dear Sir, especially on this forum :D

Nahhhhhhhh, I honestly don't believe that.

I do think we have some here, but I think the userbase here as a whole is just really invested. Take me for example; I can come off as very negative at times but I assure you, it always comes from a place of hope. I'm literally always hoping for things to turn out well for GN'R so a lot of times when I complain, it's because I truly don't understand how so many things can go so wrong. I could be wrong, but I feel like a good cross section of our user base is the same way.

@RussTCB is totally right.

Let's be real here: Adler was NEVER gonna be the permanent drummer. There would always be a second and more likely primary drummer.

Sure, Frank is DEFINITELY not my pick, but if they did Sorum, I firmly believe JUST as many would be upset and voicing their concerns that he is just as deserving as Frank. Anyone out of the original 5 are kind of on the same level, lower. Sorum is the only one that can get away with it, and I think he should, but I see why he isn't to some. He's still "the replacement", the same way Frank is to people like myself.

Bottom line, you can't make everyone happy. It was always gonna be a second drummer and it would NEVER have pleased everyone. When I get too caught up in that I just think "I'm fucking seeing Axl and Slash!!!!!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

No one is telling you to stop ball washing. This has the potential to be great or suck. It could go either way.. This personally isn't what I was hoping for when I bought the tickets.. I bought them on the chance I would get to see the original band again. (yes I realize that was never promised) I could give a rats ass about hearing Slash play with Fortus or any backbeat that Frank has anything to do with.. I just want it to sound like Guns N' Roses, not like the crap NuGuns has been spitting out.

Slash and Duff always said if they were going to do it, it would have to be with the original line-up. They are letting a lot of people down they way they are going about this whole thing.. If Izzy, didn't want to be part of it, then fine. But it is starting to look like that isn't the case and they didn't even ask him which is fucked up.. 

If Axl comes out looking and sounding like he usually has the last 15 years than this is all too late. If he sounds like ass the novelty is going to wear off real fast. If he somehow miraculously sounds killer (which I am hoping for) then it could be awesome.. Having Izzy or Steven there would make up for some of his shortcomings..

If Axl comes out Fat, winded and sounding like a dead cat with this line up then this is all 10 years too late.. I would rather see Slash,Izzy,Duff, Steven and some random singer in theaters than that.

People aren't just bitching to bitch. We care tremendously about this band and want it to be as great as it can be. To a lot of us, this just isn't it.

All that said, I am still hopeful this lineup can prove me wrong. I'll be at the first show in Vegas which will be a special night in it's own right. 

That's your problem if you purchased tickets on the chance that Izzy and Steven were going to be involved. Rumours were around for months prior, that the lineup would instead have Richard and Frank. Further, Richard and Frank are both professional musicians, so i'm sure they will jive well and change things around to suit Slash and Duff.

Who know's what's happening with Izzy, but yes, i agree it would be fucked up if they screwed him over. Back in 2012 though, Axl made it absolutely clear that any reunion would only consist of Slash and Duff:

All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion. And these guys have been here a long time, whether the public knows it or not because we haven’t done the media like that. Tommy’s been on 14 years, Richard’s going on 11. That’s as long as Duff was in the band. Chris has been in going on 11, Dizzy’s on since "Illusion," Frank’s going on six, and so’s Bumble. These guys have been here. And DJ’s going on three.

Plus, we can have our differences, and everybody in the band can be like, ‘I don’t understand that guy’ and point at one of us, you know? But at the same time, we get along. I don’t have to tell these guys what to do onstage. I can suggest something at times, but that’s very little. 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

Personally, I think this will be a great lineup! It's gonna sound incredible live. As was said before, Duff & Frank/ Richard & Slash seem like they're gonna have some great musical chemistry to me. They're all awesome players & I expect them to sound tight as hell. Just can't fuckin wait to hear them live!

Hopefully Axl gets excited about the whole thing... Gets inspired to kick ass live and want to release new music with them. I think there's a great chance of those happening.

Izzy & Adler guest spots for a couple songs would of course be awesome. But this is the lineup to move things along into new territory...

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Back in 2012 though, Axl made it absolutely clear that any reunion would only consist of Slash and Duff:

All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion. And these guys have been here a long time, whether the public knows it or not because we haven’t done the media like that. Tommy’s been on 14 years, Richard’s going on 11. That’s as long as Duff was in the band. Chris has been in going on 11, Dizzy’s on since "Illusion," Frank’s going on six, and so’s Bumble. These guys have been here. And DJ’s going on three.

Plus, we can have our differences, and everybody in the band can be like, ‘I don’t understand that guy’ and point at one of us, you know? But at the same time, we get along. I don’t have to tell these guys what to do onstage. I can suggest something at times, but that’s very little. 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html

That quote is EXCELLENT. That quote says it all!!

How come people don't get it? People are so dumb sometimes, and most of times, selfish. They can't accept the fact that Axl feels good with these guys and he didn't like Sorum and Clarke. Why should Axl privilege some sort of stupid convention to bring those people back if he doesn't like them?

It is his fucking band, he's the boss, he earned it, he wrote the lyrics to those songs, he wrote those songs, he put his voice on them. There is a point in life, when you get older, when you no longer hang out with people by obligation. You choose your friends and oftenly shorten your circle. There is a point in life when you don't owe anything to anyone. Axl is at that point where he can choose who to play with, do not have to beg for money or fame anymore.

Its funny he mentioned Izzy and Adler and totally forgot about Sorum and Clarke. Says a lot. I will never understand why people want to shove those two down Axl's throat. As if they were important.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

Its funny he mentioned Izzy and Adler and totally forgot about Sorum and Clarke. Says a lot. I will never understand why people want to shove those two down Axl's throat. As if they were important.

He actually does mention them....

"I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones"

He basically said he doesn't want to work with Sorum or Clarke in that sentence.

It doesn't look like any official word on Fortus is coming down the pike, so maybe they can just cut and paste from Axl's 2002 Chinese Democracy press release. It almost sounds like it could have been written in 2016. 

"We’re fortunate to have found Richard who has this vibe kind of like Izzy but with amazing feel. The first thing I heard Richard play was the beginning of 'Stray Cat Blues' by the Stones and he did it with the right feel. Richard likes to play rhythm. He’s an amazing lead player and very technically skilled...basically, Richard’s the guy that we always were looking for. I think that we’ll go on to write some very interesting things with Richard and he’s already done some rhythm work and some leads on the album.”

Edited by hayabusa401

51 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

He actually does mention them....

"I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones"

He basically said he doesn't want to work with Sorum or Clarke in that sentence.

Axl is really being pretty damn nice about it, too. He's mentioning who he is even viewing as relevant to the discussion, and quietly letting down the others without dragging their names into it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

Adler will make a cameo in Vegas. I think Slash promised him an appearance at one of the upcoming shows. 

Is that based on something? I believe it and I wouldn't be at all shocked, but I'm just wondering when you think Slash might have promised that. To my knowledge Steven has not spoken and no one has mentioned his name.

8 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

Is that based on something? I believe it and I wouldn't be at all shocked, but I'm just wondering when you think Slash might have promised that. To my knowledge Steven has not spoken and no one has mentioned his name.

Steven is quiet because he will have his moment. 

Just now, smoking guns said:

Steven is quiet because he will have his moment. 

Oh, I am SURE he is going to get his moment. I just feel it could be Vegas as easily as it could be Coachella. In fact, I think Coachella is way more likely cause its the festival and the more widespread press opportunity. They'll make the news regardless for Vegas. Its their first shows back and those shows are THEIR thing. Coachella will be something different and Steven guesting there gives them something new to write about.

But again, just my two cents. I'll be in Vegas so I'm fighting against Steven being there even though I want nothing more in the world than for him to show up!

2 hours ago, supercool said:

i knew there would be a reunion with slash when axl said that.

Knowing it, is a pretty strong word. But I gotta say I had similar feelings when I read that quote back then too. For the first time Axl was actually talking about a reunion like it could be a possibility in the future. And it sounded like he had really put some thought into it. Like he's actually considering it. When Ashba left the band, the first thing that popped to my head was that quote and since then I've been expecting the "reunion" lineup to consist of Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy Richard and Frank. (Maybe Pitman too) Still expecting guest appearances from at least Steven and hopefully Izzy too at some point.

• Like 1