The Gear Thread

On 11/20/2021 at 6:43 PM, Mendez said:

not going for robins tone exactly, but how does he get this synthy guitar tone in this video? according to that rig rundown he did in 2018 he was still using amps when he rejoined NIN in 2008. I assume he is using the Marshall TSL100, and a noise gate, but what is the effect that makes it sound like more than just a Marshall? a fuzz?

Yeah, I believe he uses a fuzz and a dynamic compressor like the MXR to get there. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had one rehearsal with the OR50 and it was a lot better than the mini Jubilee tbh. The Jubilee is a sweet amp but it didn’t work for what I wanted it for. Some days I’d love it, others not so much. For an amp that expensive, it should be a home run. With the tube change and amp stand the power did improve, but it still sounded thin in a band setting. For loud groups, 20 watts and saturation through a 1x12 just might not cut it.  Maybe I’d like the head better with a 2x12. Anyways, I don’t regret trading it. Seems like I had a similar experience to @James Bond with the Jubilee and his AC30 a few years back.

The OR50 has a lot more thump and clarity in the mix, and it honestly isn’t overkill. I can run the master half way up or more in the band comfortably. Lots of tones in it with the HF knob and gain control. The EQ was a lot more responsive on the Jubilee, but since the OR50 sits in the mix automatically, that doesn’t matter so much. Not having a loop is a bummer, but time based effects sound pretty good even at the front of it. Besides, for some reason the loop on my Jubilee wasn’t good. Had that weird latency when I’d put my guitar volume down for cleans and stuff. 

Guess I’m an Orange guy now! 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 9:14 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Had one rehearsal with the OR50 and it was a lot better than the mini Jubilee tbh. The Jubilee is a sweet amp but it didn’t work for what I wanted it for. Some days I’d love it, others not so much. For an amp that expensive, it should be a home run. With the tube change and amp stand the power did improve, but it still sounded thin in a band setting. For loud groups, 20 watts and saturation through a 1x12 just might not cut it.  Maybe I’d like the head better with a 2x12. Anyways, I don’t regret trading it. Seems like I had a similar experience to @James Bond with the Jubilee and his AC30 a few years back.

The OR50 has a lot more thump and clarity in the mix, and it honestly isn’t overkill. I can run the master half way up or more in the band comfortably. Lots of tones in it with the HF knob and gain control. The EQ was a lot more responsive on the Jubilee, but since the OR50 sits in the mix automatically, that doesn’t matter so much. Not having a loop is a bummer, but time based effects sound pretty good even at the front of it. Besides, for some reason the loop on my Jubilee wasn’t good. Had that weird latency when I’d put my guitar volume down for cleans and stuff. 

Guess I’m an Orange guy now! 

Ultimately I think I had built up the Jubilee in my head to be more than it was before I finally pulled the trigger the first time. I've had the opportunity to play through an original from 1987 through a 4x12 with V30s recently and it was a world of difference. I'm thinking the reissue just didn't end up translating as well for whatever reason, especially in miniature form. Either way, I'm with you. I never bonded with it as much as I was expecting. There are a ton of other options for portable amps that do much better. The EVH lunchboxes in particular sound like what I was expecting the Jubilee to sound like which seems to a similar experience that you're having with the Orange.

I was actually thinking about picking up a Micro Terror for small gigs for the portability. Those things are beastly for the size.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Beautiful man, where did you get it?

I had it made! It’s a Teye Apache. The metal etching and mosaic is all pre selected because it’s acid etched, but the back was painted as one of a kind!

Has custom wound lollars in it. They sound awesome

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt Excellente, however, I’m expecting a considerable wait as it was advertised as available to order. To keep me occupied in the meantime, I bought a Yamaha FG 335 on eBay for £55. It looks like it’s been sat in the attic for 40+ years and most likely has the original strings given how corroded they look! I’ll be picking that up next week. I’m looking forward to getting it set up as I’ve been binge watching a load of videos on it and I’m genuinely astounded at the reviews it’s getting considering it has a laminate top.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As a teen I fell in love with the sound of Slash and started playing guitar (cheap mexican strat at the time, couldn't afford anything else). Later on I became a professional composer and sound designer and didn't play much guitar, except for recording some stuff when needed. 
A few years ago I picked up playing more again and bought some more guitar gear again.

Currently on the guitar end I have a Gibson Les Paul Tribute, bought recently my dear precious Gibson Les Paul Slash November Burst. Furthermore a cheap Ibanez Bass guitar and a Tanglewood Acoustic. My other guitar beside the Slash one that I absolutely love to play is the Strandberg Boden Prog 7. A more modern guitar, but what a sound! For both the clean sound (very modern crisp clean) till the very heavy stuff.

As an amp I use the Neural DSP Quad Cortex. I first was using the Positive Grid Bias stuff, but switched to the Neural DSP plugins (the Plini one is amazing!) When they released their hardware modeller I got grabbed and it's stunning. Very realistic captures and amp models of all the great amps and I can really get some great GNR tones out of it (and tons of other stuff).

Furthermore I have on my work computer for my work tons of plugins etc and love to experiment with all kinds of things like running the guitar through granular fx or a nice stack of Soundtoys plugins for example.

Here my Gibson Les Paul Standard Slash November Burst

IMG_20220727_185033.jpg

Edited by Jaap1978
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

I borrowed a 1982 Hiwatt Custom 50 SA112 for some gigs I had over the weekend.

Never played a Hiwatt before but I know this particular iteration of it is somewhat maligned because it's a post-Reeves variation and gets away from the expected Hiwatt soundof loud cleans and tons of headroom. Generally not my preference - I like amps that drive sooner.

But... god damn. This might be the best sounding amp I've ever heard. It's definitely more "boosted JCM 800" than the traditional Hiwatt sound (even has a stock Celestion instead of the usual Fane speakers). It feels like what I expected of the Jubilee amps. It's in that ballpark but warmer, smoother, and yet still enough midrange bite to cut through.

I always thought AC30's were loud but this thing was next level. Master on about 2 was more than enough for these clubs and even then I probably could have turned down. Fortunately, it sounded great at a more respectful volume.

Super cool old amp.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Haven't gotten much since I received my custom guitar and the Orange half stack almost 2- years ago! I am happy with what I have! I did get the little Headrush MX5 to take to rehearsal so I can keep my Helix at home for recording, and I just ordered a new bass today! These Made in Japan Aerodyne Fenders are on blowout on Reverb. Looks like they are all new ones for only $600!! Could not resist. Hoping my other guitarist buys the Strat. I bought this P- Bass and will probably sell my cheap Sterling (which is great) to offset the cost. Shipping was free, too-

image.png.425b5248135e095059e27c9ac2e77262.png

• Like 2

Because I'm never satisfied with amps and my tastes are always changing, I went on the hunt once again. I had been rocking a JCM 900 half stack for a couple years again while I did some more stuff with various local rock bands. Quickly got tired of that. So tired that I even used my Orange Micro Terror at a couple of gigs through a borrowed cab. :lol:

Decided it was time for a proper combo again. I tried the newer Marshall DSL40CR against the Studio Classic JCM 800. I liked the idea of a 1x10 combo. Super lightweight amp that could plug into a cab if needed but just as easy to grab and go. The problem? It's double the price since it's made in England (even though the boards and build quality seem identical). Honestly, when I did an A/B in my local music store the DSL40CR on the Crunch channel sounded nearly identical. At half the price and with additional conveniences, it was an easy choice I'm officially back in Marshall land with the DSL40CR. Stock V-Type speaker sounds great, and the Emulated Line Out is actually pretty decent. I'm sure many people would prefer their own IRs for direct stuff, but for a quality "one amp to rule them all" I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. To my ears it has more of what I think of as the "Marshall bite" versus the more compressed sound of the Jubilee.

See you all again next year.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

Because I'm never satisfied with amps and my tastes are always changing, I went on the hunt once again. I had been rocking a JCM 900 half stack for a couple years again while I did some more stuff with various local rock bands. Quickly got tired of that. So tired that I even used my Orange Micro Terror at a couple of gigs through a borrowed cab. :lol:

Decided it was time for a proper combo again. I tried the newer Marshall DSL40CR against the Studio Classic JCM 800. I liked the idea of a 1x10 combo. Super lightweight amp that could plug into a cab if needed but just as easy to grab and go. The problem? It's double the price since it's made in England (even though the boards and build quality seem identical). Honestly, when I did an A/B in my local music store the DSL40CR on the Crunch channel sounded nearly identical. At half the price and with additional conveniences, it was an easy choice I'm officially back in Marshall land with the DSL40CR. Stock V-Type speaker sounds great, and the Emulated Line Out is actually pretty decent. I'm sure many people would prefer their own IRs for direct stuff, but for a quality "one amp to rule them all" I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. To my ears it has more of what I think of as the "Marshall bite" versus the more compressed sound of the Jubilee.

See you all again next year.

Is your Second Jubilee long gone?:lol: