GNR to headline The Governors Ball in New York: June 8, 2013

highend88

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that Axls voice isn't going to live up to everyone's expectations. Some songs he's pretty good others he struggles, but I don't think it's due to a lack of effort. Seems he can pull it off when he has some anger in his voice, but who wants to be the one who pisses him off before he goes on stage everynight lol.

And someone needs to cut that curl off his head while he's asleep. Wtf happened to his straight hair?

Edited by T.wa.T

Just thought it was interesting to read a completely unbiased and very positive review of GNR and the Gov Ball.

It took an act of God at Governors Ball on Friday – an assailing, miserable rainstorm and frightening flooding – to create a miracle on Saturday night. And yet one happened, it really did.

Axl Rose started a show early.

Indeed, the Guns N' Roses frontman bucked his own proud tradition of intractability – one that has led to countless hours of empty stages and show delays since the band’s 1985 formation – by taking the New York festival’s main stage seven minutes before the headlining band’s scheduled start. What’s more, Rose actually appeared engaged with his surroundings; he and his hard-rock cohorts barreled straight into the largely under-30s audience with a throaty and joyously grandiose introduction of "Chinese Democracy" (title track of the hysterically overlabored 2008 album), unleashing flames from the drum riser as Rose slid into that famed falsetto with impressive ease. From there, the band kept no cards at their chests; their second song was their career-maker, 1987’s "Welcome to the Jungle," delivered with the revelation of their entire arsenal of stadium tricks, the silly staples of the hair-metal era that they rightly make no apologies for: the videos of scantily clad dancers, the double-necked guitars, the liberal stage fireballs and fireworks, even that snake dance.

10 Things Duff McKagan Learned on the Summer Festival Circuit

Guns N’ Roses nonchalantly played all the hits for the mud-caked Governors Ball masses, and kicked in early with a slew of Appetite for Destruction immortals. "It’s So Easy" boasted even more fireworks (those were frequent enough in the set to double as kick drums) as Rose dipped down an octave-and-change with aplomb. (He truly does sound great, still, even if he insists on wearing cheesy t-shirts of women with cartoonish bare breasts. Or perhaps these are his Samson-esque source of vocal strength.) "Mr. Brownstone" slid sludgily into their stalwart 1991 cover of Paul McCartney and Wings’ "Live and Let Die," fireballs roaring from the stage again. Then came the short sprint into "Rocket Queen," which boasted an extremely Eighties video montage of models gyrating in leather and fishnets before a stark white backdrop, and a comfortable spin through "Sweet Child o’ Mine" that was matched by the audience’s rapturous participation. (Lead guitarist DJ Ashba, clad in a familiar top hat, sported a distinct "I crushed that" smirk at the end of "Child." Rose, as always, remained unimpressed.)

This familiarity is what allows any iteration of the band to headline a festival 26 years after the release of Appetite for Destruction; the best and worst to be said of them is that they sound exactly, resolutely, safely like their records. There is no experimentation wanted or received from anyone onstage (and it’s not of interest to fans either). Guns N’ Roses is, famously, Axl Rose and whoever he hasn’t fired that month; his iron fist and business savvy in the current lineup is apparent in every note they play. He is the only original member left (keyboardist Dizzy Reed dates the next furthest back as a contributor to 1991’s Use Your Illusion I and II) and the rest of the musicians are, while clearly technically talented, expected to play with note-for-note faithfulness the familiar chords and solos of classic-lineup stars Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan, etc., like a cover ensemble of their own catalogue. "November Rain," one of the many Illusion I offerings, broke down with precise familiarity, from Rose’s soft piano intro to the plaintive Slash guitar solo, to the frenetic coda of foreboding chants and cataclysmic strings. Their glimmering cover of Bob Dylan’s "Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door" (from Illusion II) still sprawled near healthy double-digits; "Nightrain" chugged along right on schedule, without brakes or extra coal.

The highly enjoyable, completely predictable set ended with the group’s longtime finale fromAppetite: "Paradise City," an entreaty to the libidinous that Rose remains skilled enough to have already made redundant. At its bawdy, bright close, confetti canyons spread glitter across the crowd and fireworks lit the night, the latest in a healthy half-dozen times in the set. Rose almost seemed to grin back at the crowd, but there was no need – he’s seen this all before, and he knows he will again.

This was on a home page of Yahoo

Guest cbgnr666

So i'm guessing they never got boo'd or bottled like a lot on this forum were expecting?

Yeah and how bout that petition.Remember that?Seems too have had a huge impact on the show.

ARX77 - Were you the one with your son, both wearing Guns shirts, your sun was about ten? So cool!!

Yep that was us. He's 11. 2nd time he's seen gnr. Crowd was great they were all very respectful of him.

Guest cbgnr666

Showing up early even by a minute or two seems to work well.4 for 4 on the reviews even if a bit inac.

Edited by cbgnr666

A very decent yet predictable show. Crowd was basically a bunch of drunk people who have obviously never seen GNR before getting a kick out of hearing those classic old hits. Who can blame them.

For me, it was old news. I can pretty much say I won't be seeing them again. I've seen GNR 9 times since 06 and the novelty has officially worn off. One thing I can say though, I've seen them 9 times and Axl has never given it less than 100%, well except for the Dublin show but we all know that story.

Oh and even though he seems like a really nice guy, DJ Ashba irritates the fuck out of me.

Edited by axl_on_drums

I have heard way worse live versions of RQ from Axl. Watching the one from this show,you can hear parts/words where he somewhat sounds the way it's suppose to sound.

The ending actually wasn't that bad this time. Was it his best performance of RQ from recent yrs no. Maybe if he knocked it down just one range/level it would sound as bad. To me it's like he is singing it too high up. And I'm by no means a singer lol

I hate stupid auto correct on this phone!! Ugh

Edited by SweetRose

I can pretty much say I won't be seeing them again. I've seen GNR 9 times since 06 and the novelty has officially worn off. One thing I can say though, I've seen them 9 times and Axl has never given it less than 100%, well except for the Dublin show but we all know that story.

Oh and even though he seems like a really nice guy, DJ Ashba irritates the fuck out of me.

Pretty much how I feel, seen them a bunch of times since '10, only times I feel like Axl didn't give it his all were at the last couple of gigs (Abu Dhabi '13, one or two of the '12 gigs). And yeah, as nice as DJ is to the fans, a lot about him just bothers me.

Things that'd get me to see them again (only one out of four would get me to pay again):

1. New album

2. Mix up the setlist

3. Axl gets back to '10/'06 shape

4. DJ replaced by Robin/Slash

I actually started out trying to like DJ, but the way he messes up a lot of the guitar parts and the endless posturing got to me. I really wanted to give him a chance, and in a way, I'm still holding out hope that if he is on the new album, he brings something to the table worthy of the GNR name.

Edited by Amir

I can pretty much say I won't be seeing them again. I've seen GNR 9 times since 06 and the novelty has officially worn off. One thing I can say though, I've seen them 9 times and Axl has never given it less than 100%, well except for the Dublin show but we all know that story.

Pretty much how I feel, seen them a bunch of times since '10, only times I feel like Axl didn't give it his all were at the last couple of gigs (Abu Dhabi '13, one or two of the '12 gigs). And yeah, as nice as DJ is to the fans, a lot about him just bothers me.

Things that'd get me to see them again (only one out of four would get me to pay again):

1. New album

2. Mix up the setlist

3. Axl gets back to '10/'06 shape

4. DJ replaced by Robin/Slash

I actually started out trying to like DJ, but the way he messes up a lot of the guitar parts and the endless posturing got to me. I really wanted to give him a chance, and in a way, I'm still holding out hope that if he is on the new album, he brings something to the table worthy of the GNR name.

I think DJ irritates a lot of people. I don't actually dislike the guy, on many levels there is a lot to admire about him but he does annoy me. It even annoys me that he annoys me. It's possibly a bit irrational but I don't think I am alone. Lol.

I certainly don't feel like I missed anything special.

Well, you did. I've seen GNR 3 times in 3 years and they were awesome every time. I actually think this last show in Dallas was just a little better. Axl sounded and looked great as did the rest of the band. The fans had a great time at the HOB.

If you're a fan, you NEED to see GNR live! There's nothing like it and you'll be so happy you did! It's an experience you won't forget.