Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

When I first moved down here, I was thinking I'd rebuild the collection to some extent. After a few months, I'm starting to think I won't bother. That collector was a LOT to keep up with and I don't see trying again going well 😂 

it's always hard to to justify like 500 dollar records sitting in the bins. I've already gotten away from a lot of collector stuff and sold off high dollar things. I don't need them just sitting there when that can be my car payment or mortgage, or fund a trip or concert or something. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

When I first moved down here, I was thinking I'd rebuild the collection to some extent. After a few months, I'm starting to think I won't bother. That collector was a LOT to keep up with and I don't see trying again going well 😂 

Will you miss just spinning a record, as apposed to firing up the album on Spotify? 

2 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

it's always hard to to justify like 500 dollar records sitting in the bins. I've already gotten away from a lot of collector stuff and sold off high dollar things. I don't need them just sitting there when that can be my car payment or mortgage, or fund a trip or concert or something. 

That's one thing I always made sure to do: we spun as much as we could all of the time. I had a lot of high dollar stuff that we spun constantly. I wasn't interested in owning it just to own it, ya know? I wanted to hear all of it. 

2 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Will you miss just spinning a record, as apposed to firing up the album on Spotify? 

Yes and no. We had people over to spin records every Friday for about 9 years. So I got a ton of use out of the records. These days I've got enough else going to where I'm honestly just fine with the faster, more convenient option of streaming. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's one thing I always made sure to do: we spun as much as we could all of the time. I had a lot of high dollar stuff that we spun constantly. I wasn't interested in owning it just to own it, ya know? I wanted to hear all of it. 

Yes and no. We had people over to spin records every Friday for about 9 years. So I got a ton of use out of the records. These days I've got enough else going to where I'm honestly just fine with the faster, more convenient option of streaming. 

Happy for you. Good luck with it, the move, and podcast changes. 

Feels somewhat like losing a trail blazer of sorts to the digital realm though I must admit. 

35 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Happy for you. Good luck with it, the move, and podcast changes. 

Feels somewhat like losing a trail blazer of sorts to the digital realm though I must admit. 

Thank you and I totally get that. I don't remember when I started this thread but it was probably 10 years ago or so. That's a long time. 

Don't get me wrong, I alwsys love vinyl. I have an undying passion for music and that will never, ever change. Just know that as a person, I'm a lot happier now then I've been in a VERY long time. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a quiet few months for me, haven't picked up anything in a while, though that has changed!! I picked up a 7" single of the Celtic Song by Glen Daly, it was a hard one to find in recent times so luckily stumbled across a chap selling it in Oz with cheap postage! When I'd been documenting John Doc's music, I ended up finding a bootleg recording of one of his performances and there was a punter up doing the song Love Is All (made famous by Malcolm Roberts, Engelbert Humperdinck) and it blew my mind. What a song, so I stumbled across two records from performers of similar ilk to Doc that were released on the Nevis record label also and both have done a version of Love Is All, so I'm looking forward to dropping those on the turntable. The artists were Jean Bennett and Johnny Duffy. 

I've a £100 gift voucher for HMV from Christmas that I've still not used. You can't use it online and has to be used in store only, but I'm debating on holding off to see what the damage is on this potential UYI boxset if HMV end up stocking it. I was going to use it on the George Michael Older boxset, but they were selling it for £20 more than everywhere else so decided to just stick with my Amazon pre-order.

• Like 2

Foxy Shazam, one of my favorite bands, just announced they're re-releasing their debut album on vinyl. They've been teasing this for what feels like a couple years and it's awesome that it's finally being released... it won't ship for 8 months though <_<

Original copies of the cd have gone for stupid amounts of money over the years, but I just ordered the vinyl and cd bundle for $40 so I'm pretty happy :D

I know there's some other Foxy fans on here, so here's the link if anyone wants it https://foxyshazam.bigcartel.com/product/flamingo-trigger-remastered-lp-presale

FOXY SHAZAM's Flamingo Trigger” (Remastered)— LP
This is the first vinyl release of Flamingo Trigger ever. We recorded Flamingo Trigger in 2004 as we were starting Foxy Shazam and are extremely excited about this remaster. Classic Black Vinyl comes in a single album jacket and full-color inner sleeve. EEEOOOAH releases album release 003.

Limited Pressing Teal Vinyl Available (only 200) with exclusive matching Flamingo Trigger Shirt. This shirt can only be purchased in combination with the Teal Vinyl. All Teal Vinyl orders also come with an original flyer from the 2005 CD Release Show... Yeah we recently found an old stack of the original flyers and want to share them with you.

*** THIS IS A PRESALE ***
Vinyl turn around times are approximately 8 months currently so expected vinyl shipping date is March 2023. We know this is a long time to wait for your vinyl and appreciate your patience. Presale helps us to remain independent artists and keep putting out special releases for you. THANK YOU TO OUR FANS.

• Like 2

Dear Dean,

It’s my pleasure to gift you this master tape of John Doc’s first L.P. which I produced and recorded.

I was sad to hear of his passing but his wonderful voice can still be heard by future generations, preserved forever on this recording for which you are now the deserving guardian.

Kind Regards,
Jim McLean

AD05D581-8915-4CCC-85DD-7D77B815BF54.thumb.jpeg.5aa3de4bb0b54da0b0d10b6606f41f7f.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/14/2022 at 12:35 PM, Dean said:

Dear Dean,

It’s my pleasure to gift you this master tape of John Doc’s first L.P. which I produced and recorded.

I was sad to hear of his passing but his wonderful voice can still be heard by future generations, preserved forever on this recording for which you are now the deserving guardian.

Kind Regards,
Jim McLean

AD05D581-8915-4CCC-85DD-7D77B815BF54.thumb.jpeg.5aa3de4bb0b54da0b0d10b6606f41f7f.jpeg

Holy shit. That's rad! 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Holy shit. That's rad! 

It was some buzz my man. Jim is a legend in the Scottish Folk scene and gave Bob Dylan the opportunity to perform in a London Folk club back in the early 60’s. While not a chanter himself, he’s written a vast amount of songs that have featured heavily in the Scottish folk scene from the 60’s and beyond, to eventually having his own Record Label.

I’d found out that his wife passed away last year to cancer and he sent me up a CD of 3 songs he wrote in memory of her and holy fuck, it tugs on the auld metaphorical strings!! An 84 year old man doing what he done best to help with the grieving process. It’s quite incredible.

The tape, I’ve just sent away to hopefully get digitized, after that, I’m going to get it framed. It’s fucking nuts to say that, but with the time I’ve invested and The Doc being a huge part of my Grandad’s life, it’s the perfect opportunity to celebrate the two of them together. Right in the feels!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dean said:

It was some buzz my man. Jim is a legend in the Scottish Folk scene and gave Bob Dylan the opportunity to perform in a London Folk club back in the early 60’s. While not a chanter himself, he’s written a vast amount of songs that have featured heavily in the Scottish folk scene from the 60’s and beyond, to eventually having his own Record Label.

I’d found out that his wife passed away last year to cancer and he sent me up a CD of 3 songs he wrote in memory of her and holy fuck, it tugs on the auld metaphorical strings!! An 84 year old man doing what he done best to help with the grieving process. It’s quite incredible.

The tape, I’ve just sent away to hopefully get digitized, after that, I’m going to get it framed. It’s fucking nuts to say that, but with the time I’ve invested and The Doc being a huge part of my Grandad’s life, it’s the perfect opportunity to celebrate the two of them together. Right in the feels!!!

I don't have much to add other than the fact that I fucking love this. Very happy for you!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fair play to RHCP if they’ve got another new album coming already.

On another topic - does anyone understand the score with Discogs postage? I ordered a vinyl almost a month ago and still haven’t received it. I emailed the seller and he told me something along the lines of “of course you haven’t received it yet, postage is slow these days with strikes etc”… but as I said it is almost a month. Can I get my money back or do I need to wait?

17 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Fair play to RHCP if they’ve got another new album coming already.

On another topic - does anyone understand the score with Discogs postage? I ordered a vinyl almost a month ago and still haven’t received it. I emailed the seller and he told me something along the lines of “of course you haven’t received it yet, postage is slow these days with strikes etc”… but as I said it is almost a month. Can I get my money back or do I need to wait?

Depends where you're from and where the record is shipping from, I guess. One month for international postage is annoying, but not too surprising. Sometimes I'll check tracking numbers, and my records are sitting in a shipping facility for a few weeks, but once they actually start moving they arrive in a few days.

37 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Depends where you're from and where the record is shipping from, I guess. One month for international postage is annoying, but not too surprising. Sometimes I'll check tracking numbers, and my records are sitting in a shipping facility for a few weeks, but once they actually start moving they arrive in a few days.

Cheers. That’s the problem though, the guy didn’t give any tracking. It’s shipping from France to UK. Maybe Brexit causes them to go intentionally slow. Wouldn’t surprise me.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, ToonGuns said:

Cheers. That’s the problem though, the guy didn’t give any tracking. It’s shipping from France to UK. Maybe Brexit causes them to go intentionally slow. Wouldn’t surprise me.

I bought a record off Amazon France last year and it was around 3 weeks til it appeared. Maybe give it til the end of the week/early next week and if nothing, contact the seller about your concerns and that you wish to proceed with a refund. It may be worthwhile asking if he got tracking for his own records or what courier he shipped it with.

If you paid via PayPal, you can go direct to them, but I’d give the seller a few days to make the effort first. Don’t worry about negative feedback if he leaves it, you can dispute it and it’ll be removed. Keep us posted!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I just streamed it front to back today. I like it a great deal. 

4 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Yup. It's awesome. 

Thanks. I really liked Fear of the Dawn (works really well listening to it as a full album) but I know this one is more acoustic- which Jack does very well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...