Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 7:04 PM, ToonGuns said:

Fair play to RHCP if they’ve got another new album coming already.

On another topic - does anyone understand the score with Discogs postage? I ordered a vinyl almost a month ago and still haven’t received it. I emailed the seller and he told me something along the lines of “of course you haven’t received it yet, postage is slow these days with strikes etc”… but as I said it is almost a month. Can I get my money back or do I need to wait?

Just as an update to this the guy, finally, gave me a refund after 2 months. Tough going though. He referenced USA in one of his replies to me, I corrected him advising I’m in the UK. I think he posted to the wrong country. Anyway all resolved.

• Like 2

George Michael’s Older boxset pushed back once again to the end of the month, citing Auld Liz’s passing as the reason, though I’d guess it’s because of the overwhelming demand!

Toying with the idea of pre-ordering The Miracle boxset from Queen. A single should be dropping this month called Face It Alone with Fred on vocals to promote the boxset (think that’s due in November). It never made it onto the album but was then worked on again for Innuendo, so I’m sure they’ll have pretty good takes to use. 

Hey guys,

I noticed the pitch seemed off on one of my records, so I downloaded a RPM app to test out and sure enough both 33 1/3 and 45 were off. I got the speed fixed for 33RPM, but I’ve had no joy with the 45 and I can’t for the life of me seem to locate the screw within the variable resistor. I’ve stripped the casing back so it’s just the control board in the hopes that it’d give me a better look, but it’s proved unsuccessful. It’s got a felt covering for both holes, however 33 was a breeze and the screw seemed to stop the screwdriver dead. Not the case with the 45 hole!

Is this potentially end of life for the turntable? I’m due an upgrade but was hoping to get more use out of this one! 

I spent a stupid amount on this record, easily the most I've spent on an album in years, but I'm glad to have it. The CD has been in my truck since it was released 6 months ago, and I plan to spin this several times in the coming days. Signed and numbered (mine's #20/1000), nice packaging and it most importantly, it sounds good :D

STN8BJ4.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Hey @RussTCBI saw in another thread that you stopped collecting vinyl earlier this year. What let to that? The ridiculous cost of records over the past few years (and getting worse)? What's the newest vinyl you have purchased?

Thanks for keeping up with my YouTube channel 😂 (I kid, I kid). I just explained this all months ago on my channel, so I had to go for the easy joke :)

In any case, the very short version is that I moved 1000 miles away from where I was living. With the value my record collection was sitting at, I made a deal to sell the whole thing off and not move it with me. 

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Thanks for keeping up with my YouTube channel 😂 (I kid, I kid). I just explained this all months ago on my channel, so I had to go for the easy joke :)

In any case, the very short version is that I moved 1000 miles away from where I was living. With the value my record collection was sitting at, I made a deal to sell the whole thing off and not move it with me. 

You have a YT channel? You really should promote it here more often to let people know (I kid, I kid lol)

Wow thats huge! I've listened to a bunch of your reviews but, obviously, missed that one. Hopefully you can still keep the channel going! Did you sell it all or keep a few keepsakes? 

Just now, Coma16 said:

You have a YT channel? You really should promote it here more often to let people know (I kid, I kid lol)

Wow thats huge! I've listened to a bunch of your reviews but, obviously, missed that one. Hopefully you can still keep the channel going! Did you sell it all or keep a few keepsakes? 

Kept a very few things. 

The channel is going strong than ever actually. We put a new audio podcast out every Monday. Then I have new YouTube videos that are different content from the podcast every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple of Moz records, Your Arsenal and Low In High School. I had a 2020 reissue of Goats Head Soup from The Stones arrive today and it sounds amazing. I also had MOV's reissue of A Nod Is As Good As A Wink...To A Blind Horse arrive today and once again they have blown me away at the quality of the pressing. Totally blows my original out the water. Ronnie Lane was and forever will be an absolute champion. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:19 PM, Cosmo said:

Screenshot-2022-10-21-at-14-14-21.png

Got a glass platter upgrade for my Rega P1 at a good price. Looking for a good cartridge upgrade now. Kinda afraid to upgrade it by myself after watching some tutorials, though.

Hey - I also have the RP1 👍

I changed the cartridge myself around 6 months ago, was quite straight forward actually. But I didn’t think upgrades were possible on the RP1? Possibly I am wrong. I just replaced it like for like as the prior one had worn out it’s use.

14 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Hey - I also have the RP1 👍

I changed the cartridge myself around 6 months ago, was quite straight forward actually. But I didn’t think upgrades were possible on the RP1? Possibly I am wrong. I just replaced it like for like as the prior one had worn out it’s use.

You can upgrade the cartridge, but it's a not-so-simple process. Nothing too different from any turntable, though. I don't think it's possible to upgrade the tonearm, though.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, Cosmo said:

You can upgrade the cartridge, but it's a not-so-simple process. Nothing too different from any turntable, though. I don't think it's possible to upgrade the tonearm, though.

Great. Post a reply with how you get on, I’m thinking of doing the same. Was tempted to upgrade to an RP3 maybe next year. Let us know what cartridge you go for and how it sounds.

• Like 1

I'm kind of hoping this is a good place to ask. 

I'm looking to buy a new music system. My cd/dvd player is nearly dead and my speakers aren't that good either. My turntable is fine and I intend to keep it. But for the rest I have a limit of roughly 1000 euro. My demands are:

- Good full warm room-filling sound from my vinyl and cd's 

- Hook up the TV through optical cable

- Hook up the bluray/cd/dvd player through coax or HDMI, probably coax

- Hook up turntable through RCA plugs

- No need to natively support airplay, google cast or any of that, I just want to be able to cast bluetooth to it

- Music is definitely the main focus. The only type of DVD/Bluray I really watch are music-related, so anything home cinema and/or surround sound doesn't matter much to me. 

Looking to buy: 

- bluray/cd/dvd player

- speakers

- possibly a new receiver. Currently I have a Sony STR-KS1100 from 2007. I don't know much about receivers. So I have no idea whether I should replace it. 

I was looking at a Sony BDP-S6700 Bluray/cd/dvd player and Yamaha NS-F 51 speakers. Not sure if I['d need a seperate subwoofer to go with that, since I've read good things on it's built in bass reflex port. I was considering a Marantz NR1200 or Sony STR-DH590 receiver, but I don't know if I really need this. Plus I've heard the latter is mainly good for home cinema setups, which isn't what I care most about. 

Any advice/thoughts? 

On 11/6/2022 at 12:40 PM, username said:

I'm kind of hoping this is a good place to ask. 

I'm looking to buy a new music system. My cd/dvd player is nearly dead and my speakers aren't that good either. My turntable is fine and I intend to keep it. But for the rest I have a limit of roughly 1000 euro. My demands are:

- Good full warm room-filling sound from my vinyl and cd's 

- Hook up the TV through optical cable

- Hook up the bluray/cd/dvd player through coax or HDMI, probably coax

- Hook up turntable through RCA plugs

- No need to natively support airplay, google cast or any of that, I just want to be able to cast bluetooth to it

- Music is definitely the main focus. The only type of DVD/Bluray I really watch are music-related, so anything home cinema and/or surround sound doesn't matter much to me. 

Looking to buy: 

- bluray/cd/dvd player

- speakers

- possibly a new receiver. Currently I have a Sony STR-KS1100 from 2007. I don't know much about receivers. So I have no idea whether I should replace it. 

I was looking at a Sony BDP-S6700 Bluray/cd/dvd player and Yamaha NS-F 51 speakers. Not sure if I['d need a seperate subwoofer to go with that, since I've read good things on it's built in bass reflex port. I was considering a Marantz NR1200 or Sony STR-DH590 receiver, but I don't know if I really need this. Plus I've heard the latter is mainly good for home cinema setups, which isn't what I care most about. 

Any advice/thoughts? 

Update: I went for a set of Dali Spektor 6 speakers and a Marantz PM6007 aplifier. Hoping this will bring out a great new sound out of my records! :) Can't wait for it to get delivered. 

• Like 2

Wow that was quick! I had my eye on the Dali Spector speakers last year as well (6, same as you). Have paused for the moment just until I get a better understanding of inflation etc (pay rise at work was only 3%) but would be very interested in how they sound. I’d also need a new amp with them which is another reason why I paused for the moment as that would mean pushing £1000 total.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Queen's new Miracle boxset and had GNR's UYI boxset arrive last week, have yet to get fired into that though! The Miracle boxset puzzles me. I can't help feeling annoyed at the total amateur work on "remastering" the music videos, which were fairly iconic at the time! If you've not seen it, watch I Want It All in full glory, remastered from the original master tape, however, Queen lost the masters for the others and it looks like they've upscaled with AI software from the VHS tapes. Shoddy work. The LP includes Too Much Love Will Kill You, which was originally meant to be on the album, but scrapped as there was a disagreement on royalties as Brian had written the song with other people - though he suspects the songs meaning had significant impact on where Freddie was in his life at that particular time. That said, it's a highlight on their Made In Heaven album, so it feels really out of place on The Miracle because we've heard it included elsewhere for 27 years. That's enough negativity for today, ha! Hope you've all had a great weekend. Slainte!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up Slade's new singles boxset. Sound of Vinyl were doing it for £29.99, so it would have been obscene not to treat myself! Caught the bug with CDs again, so I've had considerable growth in that regard over the last few months., I find myself playing a lot more CDs than vinyl of late too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...