Your concerts in 2014

Powerage5

Just got my Tom Petty ticket. 15th row at the PPL Center in Allentown. None of the seating charts are really worth anything though, as they don't show the real seating arrangement. I got seats like 7-8, which I'm guessing are probably closer to the left or right side, but whatever. Happy to finally have tickets to see the guy. $300 for the pair though..

So far:

2014-02-09 - Maria Mena, Jurgen de Visser @ Oosterpoort, Groningen

What was this show like? I love her music, but I think she's only played here in the UK once or twice at a festival.

Very good! I've seen her 4 times now. Her shows were very different though. Her earlier shows are like her earlier albums. Very fragile small songs. Fantastic though. Her new album has much more experimenting with electro-pop. I didnt like it much first, but it bles me away live. She is putting her older songs in more electro-pop arrangements too on her current tour. Very succesful imo, but different from the way you might know them. Definitely go see her if you can. Great yet modest performer and an amazing voice! :)

Ringo was... Ringo :lol:, but I enjoyed seeing him. His current All Star Band is pretty good and I can now say I have seen both living Beatles

I also bought two really terrible seats to see Queen in 2 weeks, but I'll be there!

So my year is shaping up as-

-Jimmy Page/ Valarie Simpsom/ Thara Memory/ Geri Allen/ Berklee Students, Bands, and Faculty (Berklee Commencement Ceremony and Concert)- Agganis Arena, Boston

-The Monkees (Summer Tour)- The Fox Theater, Detroit

-Ringo Starr and his All Star Band (2014 Tour)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkson

Upcoming-

-Queen + Adam Lambert- The Palace of Auburn Hills

And then gigs I would like to go to but probably won't since I have a new job coming up and will be moving up north. I'll really try for the AeroSlash tour though

-Avenged Sevenfold (Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkson (Probably will skip as the other bands suck and I can catch A7X some other time)

-Nine Inch Nails/ Soundgarden- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkson (Will probably skip, I'd love to see both bands but money's tight and I chose Queen as my big show for the summer)

-Motley Crue/ Alice Cooper (The Final Tour)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkson (Already saw crew and will hopefully see Alice another time, only will go if my friend wants to)

-KISS/ Def Leppard (Monster Tour)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkson (Seen both bands, will probably skip)

-Fleetwood Mac (Reunion Tour)- The Palace of Auburn Hills (Would like to go, too far to tell)

-Aerosmith/ Slash ft. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (Let Rock Rule Tour)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkson (I'll have moved away by now but will still try and go)

So this will be a year with a short gig list for me and even if none of those listed after Queen happen, I won't mind. Jimmy Page and Queen in the same year? Fuck yeah! :headbang:

Edited by ZoSoRose

Stupidly, Calling Festival have put Walking Papers on at same time as Joe Bonamassa tonight (2 different stages) :/ I think it's because of the late addition of Richie Sambora. Already seen Walking Papers so I'll check out Bonamassa, but was hoping to see them again.

So far:

2014-02-09 - Maria Mena, Jurgen de Visser @ Oosterpoort, Groningen

What was this show like? I love her music, but I think she's only played here in the UK once or twice at a festival.

Very good! I've seen her 4 times now. Her shows were very different though. Her earlier shows are like her earlier albums. Very fragile small songs. Fantastic though. Her new album has much more experimenting with electro-pop. I didnt like it much first, but it bles me away live. She is putting her older songs in more electro-pop arrangements too on her current tour. Very succesful imo, but different from the way you might know them. Definitely go see her if you can. Great yet modest performer and an amazing voice! :)

I see. Sounds interesting. I'd definitely like to see how she reinvents the older stuff. Mellow is my favourite album of hers. Might have to settle for youtube to see how she's doing them now. The more recent albums have been a bit patchy, but there's a lot of great songs too.

My gigs this year so far:

February 3rd - Less Than Jake/Reel Big Fish (Manchester)

February 5th - Sepultura (Manchester)

February 17th - Beth Nielsen Chapman (Liverpool)

March 12th - Soilwork (Manchester)

April 26th - Magnum (Manchester)

May 7th - Janelle Monáe (Manchester)

May 10th - Tori Amos (Glasgow)

May 11th - Tori Amos (Manchester)

May 12th - Tori Amos (Birmingham)

May 14th - Tori Amos (Nottingham)

May 15th - Tori Amos (London)

May 19th - H.e.a.t (Manchester)

June 27th - Kacey Musgraves (Manchester)

And to come:

June 28th - Fen (Liverpool)

July 23rd - Immortal Technique (Liverpool)

August 2nd - Reel Big Fish (Liverpool)

September 2nd - Kate Bush (London)

September 11th - Wolf (Manchester)

September 12th - Edguy (Manchester)

October 30th - Sheryl Crow (Manchester)

November 15th - Lykke Li (Manchester)

December 8th - Morbid Angel (Manchester)

Saw Aerosmith last week, pretty good, all the hits so a casual like me could get into the show, my main gripe was with the audience: fucking cameraphones throughout the whole damn show. Could not see a thing. Wasn't even like where I was standing was particularly close, so all those photos and videos are gonna look like ass.

/grumpyoldmanrant

Motorhead + Faith No More + Soundgarden + Black Sabbath today, really looking forward to it, first time for them all apart from FNM.

Drake has dropped out of a festival show here on Saturday which means today's headliner, Kanye, will be performing double headlining duties and filling in. Debating going as I've been meaning to see Kanye again, but tickets aren't cheap, don't exactly have the money to justify it, and I don't like any of the acts that day, so I'll probably pass unless I see tickets for less than face value on eBay (saw some for half price but they were for the Birmingham show and once I factor in travel costs that wouldn't be much cheaper than just going to the London show :/ ).

Faith No More were pretty good, but I thought it was awkward debuting 2 new songs at a festival show. Soundgarden did Superunknown in its entirety, which again, while cool, seems to misjudge the festival audience. Enjoyed Sabbath a lot. Will avoid outdoor festival shows for the most part, though (apart from seeing Neil Young there next week), I find it hard to get into the music.

Gonna pass on Kanye. Was thinking of seeing Hans Zimmer but all the decent cheap tickets are gone. Think I'm done buying tickets for the next year or so, will see about 2nd Slash show in Paris while I'm there, doubt it'll sell out so if I can afford it on the day I'll go for it.

Think the only two live acts I really want to see that I haven't yet are Fleetwood Mac (missed out on London shows last year) and Daft Punk (Alive 2017, perhaps?).

Pearl Jam later this week. In spite of my username being the title of one of their songs I've never seen them live before. (I had a ticket in 2010 but couldn't make it :() I'm quite excited!

Have fun! Should be great, newspaper today named PJ's the best concert of the 4 day festival in Werchter. They played for three hours!

i saw Sebastian Bach last night, damn that guy is great really! his voice is so powerful and he gives 300% the whole show absolutely amazing, it was somewhat short only an hour and a half i guess, but Baz is great, he was in such a good mood, did lots of interaction with the crowd, took a kid on the stage during youth gone wild and was laughing and joking with us between the songs he is really full of energy and passion great performer!

18 days til Jack White! Then 2 days til Jack White AGAIN!

One of these days I really have to see Jack

Going to Queen?

Queen is a solid "maybe" at this point LOL. Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary so I figured she'd wanna do dinner and all that jazz. Last night she asked why we never got Queen tickets and I was like "They're still available, ya know!" haha.

So.... we'll see. I'll let you know if we end up going though!

Got tickets for the Mayhem festival. Couldn't get pit tickets for Scranton so ended up getting tickets for the Bristow, VA show, then realized I have my NIN / SG show the next day in Bristow :lol: Screwed the pooch on it a bit in terms of what I'm doing for the shows, but whatever. It'll work out.