Is Axl being honest in his interviews in regard to new music?

ShadowOfTheWave

In 12/11, Axl told the LA Times "Once I get the next things sorted out with the label, then I feel I can get to that creative place that I've been fighting to get to, and to use Guns N' Roses to do so". He basically told Eddie Trunk the same thing a few months earlier. In 10/12, Axl told USA Today "All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about".

My question is, considering the consensus is that Axl isn't interested in moving forward with this band at all, do you believe he was being dishonest with these statements? Do you think there are actual negotiations that have gone on with the label in the past 2 years, or that Axl is seriously planning to go through the songs they "recorded over the years", let alone write lyrics to the songs "all the guys are writing?"?

I have always leaned towards him being honest, but either way new music is not coming out so Axl is either honest yet unable to get anything out or he is just bullshitting. I don't personally think he is lying though, I do think he is honest about his intentions.

I think he means what he says at the time he says it. I think it's possible he then feels differently about things a few months down the line then differently again a while after that and so on...ad infinitum. It's alleged he was going to legally disband GnR not too long ago so who knows how quickly and frequently future plans change? He's a charismatic and strong headed person so I imagine those around him probably have no choice but to go with whatever direction the wind is blowing even if they know it's liable to change again before long.

Good intentions but he doesn't have a support group to get it done, he needs someone to drive him, he's not going get anything done with his nicey nice management that pull back when they should push and vice versa. Any person with a brain would realise guns are only relevant if they continue to release new material. 5 year anniversary of Chinese and no sign of a new album makes me think it's unlikely we'll have a new album by the 6th anniversary, maybe the 7th.

Also, he's looking for a deal from the label that is probably way too ambitious... he doesn't have the same pull that he used to and any other deal is an insult for him - if a deal is made I'll be shocked as Axl would have to settle for less than what he's looking for.

I don't think Axl intended on never releasing music again. Nor do I believe Axl meant for chinese to take a hundred fucking years to release. Shit happens, life happens, things change.

That being said, Axl hasn't said anything in the last two years about new music being released so there's no doubt he could care less about releasing new music ever again.

How do we know Axl doesn't want to do anything with this new band? I'm no fan of Ashba, but we could have easily said the same thing between 2004 and the months leading up to CD's release.

They did record alternate versions of better. So ashba has recorded something with GNR. I'm sure it was something Dj really wanted to do.

Axl could care less about releasing music.

If he means what he says there, how do you reconcile Ron saying the band has yet to write anything together?

Is Axl basically saying that he assumes the other are writing on their own time? Because there is no collaboration going on here.

There's something really messed up about that part too. Maybe Axl expects them to re-write parts for songs already recorded? Then he could just mix them and release them then monumental promotion will star...

Sorry I almost started to believe myself on that one.

In 12/11, Axl told the LA Times "Once I get the next things sorted out with the label, then I feel I can get to that creative place that I've been fighting to get to, and to use Guns N' Roses to do so". He basically told Eddie Trunk the same thing a few months earlier. In 10/12, Axl told USA Today "All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about".

My question is, considering the consensus is that Axl isn't interested in moving forward with this band at all, do you believe he was being dishonest with these statements? Do you think there are actual negotiations that have gone on with the label in the past 2 years, or that Axl is seriously planning to go through the songs they "recorded over the years", let alone write lyrics to the songs "all the guys are writing?"?

I believe Slash has got it right:

"It takes Axl an indeterminate amount of time to decide what he is going to do from the inception of an idea to the point of carrying it out" [bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.259]

I dont see GNR as ever moving forwards, its more like resetting the clock and rebuilding the DeLorean again.

I dont think they have started a new project so its CD II to all tense and purposes.

They might have some material ready to go, working titles have been thrown around.

So id say its a label/deal problem. Coupled with no real interest in a GNR right now out there in the real world. Imagine a journo getting a copy of a new GNR cd just thinking wtf they only just put one out.

I dont see GNR as ever moving forwards, its more like resetting the clock and rebuilding the DeLorean again.

I dont think they have started a new project so its CD II to all tense and purposes.

They might have some material ready to go, working titles have been thrown around.

So id say its a label/deal problem. Coupled with no real interest in a GNR right now out there in the real world. Imagine a journo getting a copy of a new GNR cd just thinking wtf they only just put one out.

Fair point, but I can't see Axl having any interest in releasing new music...That usa today interview you mentioned in a previous post- when was that? Maybe his opinion is subject to change?