MYGNR EXCLUSIVE: BREAKING NEWS ON GNR PLANS FOR 2014

Guest NGOG

Everything about Vegas residencies works our for the band and the fans, I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't like it.

Vegas is the graveyard of artistry. It is where bands go to die as artists. The surest sign that a band is now solely a nostalgia act is that they are playing Vegas. I actually cannot imagine why anyone would like it (unless you are happy with your band being a cheesy nostalgia act)?

Everything about Vegas residencies works our for the band and the fans, I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't like it.

Vegas is the graveyard of artistry. It is where bands go to die as artists. The surest sign that a band is now solely a nostalgia act is that they are playing Vegas. I actually cannot imagine why anyone would like it (unless you are happy with your band being a cheesy nostalgia act)?

Elvis had an amazing run in Vegas and basically put the city on the map as a entertainment destination. Artists at the top of the charts, including the artist with the number one album in the US this week consistently do Vegas residencies as well.

• Like 2

Elvis had an amazing run in Vegas and basically put the city on the map as a entertainment destination. Artists at the top of the charts, including the artist with the number one album in the US this week consistently do Vegas residencies as well.

Let's put Elvis aside for a second. What band or artist that we wouldn't mind associating GNR with has done a Vegas residency?

Let's put Elvis aside for a second. What band or artist that we wouldn't mind associating GNR with has done a Vegas residency?

Even though I'm not a fan, I see no other reason that GN'R shouldn't be associated with Motley Crue.

Everything that was good about GNR was everything Mötley Crüe wasn't, so Crüe doesn't count in my book. But if we're putting GNR in the same box as Crüe, then I guess both have sucked from the start and Vegas is about right. I happen to think GNR used to be a great band, legitimately so. Crüe never was.

I hope they do at least one acoustic night in Vegas. Don't announce it beforehand, just do it.

Without jams, they played an average 27-29 songs a night. Without staples they have about 10-11 songs to play around with (including covers). They *should* be able to mix the setlist up by at least 6 songs every night. Bust out a deep cut on each night, Locomotive, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession, Prostitute? An additional new song that they don't play in SA should be added too.

Everything that was good about GNR was everything Mötley Crüe wasn't, so CrCrusn't count in my book. But if we're putting GNR in the same box as Crüe, then I guess both have sucked from the start and Vegas is about right. I happen to think GNR used to be a great band, legitimately so. Crüe never was.

I agree with you, but there's a whole shitload of people that don't. Especially around the height of both band's popularity.

This really isn't something that I feel like debating though, because as already stated, I'm of the same opinion on Crue. I'm the last that is going to try to convince you that they don't suck.

Everything that was good about GNR was everything Mötley Crüe wasn't, so CrCrusn't count in my book. But if we're putting GNR in the same box as Crüe, then I guess both have sucked from the start and Vegas is about right. I happen to think GNR used to be a great band, legitimately so. Crüe never was.

I agree with you, but there's a whole shitload of people that don't. Especially around the height of both band's popularity.

This really isn't something that I feel like debating though, because as already stated, I'm of the same opinion on Crue. I'm the last that is going to try to convince you that they don't suck.

I hear ya, but I think most people's understanding of music history distinguishes between GNR and Crüe pretty easily.

I hear ya, but I think most people's understanding of music history distinguishes between GNR and Crüe pretty easily.

So who would have to do a residency for you to be satisfied then?

I guess that comes down to personal preference. I've been a Garth Brooks fan for around 20 years. He currently has the number one album in the US which is based around his Vegas residency that is still running. While a lot of people might cringe at the mention of Garth, but I've been a fan for about 2 decades as I said so he's good by me. Elvis and Garth are great company to be in by my book. I know that even those who are ok with Garth can throw Cher, Britney, Celine, Crue and hell, even Criss Angel back at me though.

Not sure how to answer that question cuz it's not that one artist would legitimize Vegas residencies, rather it's that Vegas residencies seem to inherently signify a sort of washed-up, bloated irrelevance.

I guess that comes down to personal preference. I've been a Garth Brooks fan for around 20 years. He currently has the number one album in the US which is based around his Vegas residency that is still running. While a lot of people might cringe at the mention of Garth, but I've been a fan for about 2 decades as I said so he's good by me. Elvis and Garth are great company to be in by my book. I know that even those who are ok with Garth can throw Cher, Britney, Celine, Crue and hell, even Criss Angel back at me though.

So your answer to my question is no one? :P

Edited by magisme

Not sure how to answer that question cuz it's not that one artist would legitimize Vegas residencies, rather it's that Vegas residencies seem to inherently signify a sort of washed-up, bloated irrelevance.

Why is that? They're obviously successful, or people wouldn't do them. The production seems to me to be top notch, and even better than touring production. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a few nights in Vegas and seeing Guns each night, that seems like a win on all levels to me. :shrugs:

The issue with a residency... Is that a lot of the crowd are people who just happen to be in Vegas the night of the show.

The last residency (while the shows I attended were excellent) catered primarily to those fans. It would be cool if they advertised a few shows this time as catering more to the hardcore fans that want to make the trip there. Put them on weeknights if need be. Play all of CD, or some deep cuts off the Illusions and throw in a few unreleased tracks. Some kind of experimental set list.

Then just make the rest of the shows more like the typical sets we've seen the past few years where all the hits get played. I'd love to see them take advantage of the residency format this way.

• Like 3

The issue with a residency... Is that a lot of the crowd are people who just happen to be in Vegas the night of the show.

The last residency (while the shows I attended were excellent) catered primarily to those fans. It would be cool if they advertised a few shows this time as catering more to the hardcore fans that want to make the trip there. Put them on weeknights if need be. Play all of CD, or some deep cuts off the Illusions and throw in a few unreleased tracks. Some kind of experimental set list.

Then just make the rest of the shows more like the typical sets we've seen the past few years where all the hits get played. I'd love to see them take advantage of the residency format this way.

That's why I thought was going to happen during their first residency.

Didn't happen.

Vegas killed Elvis off. His last burst of creativity was 1969 when he had that amazing spell of recordings. By 1973 you could not get the guy in the studio (sound familiar?). That is why a lot of Elvis's later songs are live, because it was so hard to get the guy into a studio. Elvis could have continued having significent recording sessions and played in places like the UK and Japan for the first time, instead of playing gambling joints to bored housewifes with too much blusher.

I tell you what I associate with Vegas? Pat Boone. Fuckin Pat Boone, Englebert Humperdick or whatever he is called, Tom Jones, The Osmonds. That is what Vegas represents.

The place is an artistic graveyard. It signifies that your artistry is 'up-the-shitter' and you are now a golden oldies act.

• Like 1

Cant disagree that shitty bands play vegas... but the way i look at it, shitty bands played vegas till last year... for me gnr (axl) raised the bar, they (he) didnt lower theirs (his)

Call me a fanboy, nuttswinger, "axl worshipper" or wtv the fuck you want but i respect vegas acts more since appetite for democracy, and i hope they blow the roof off that motherfucker this year and raise the bar even higher

And here is the disconnect between the hardcore forum people and the general public: the vast majority of people who would pay to see Axl's version of GNR are casual fans who just want to hear the hits. The simple fact is that the money is coming from people who want to hear SCOM or what have you, people who aren't even sure if Slash is in the band anymore. The people who want to hear what Bumby or DJ can write are in the extreme minority, and from a business standpoint, it makes no sense to cater to that tiny percentage, or else Fernando will be booking the next tour at high school auditoriums, not ever-shrinking clubs and dinosaur-rock nostalgia festivals.

Edited by niceguy

I tell you what I associate with Vegas? Pat Boone. Fuckin Pat Boone, Englebert Humperdick or whatever he is called, Tom Jones, The Osmonds. That is what Vegas represents.

The place is an artistic graveyard. It signifies that your artistry is 'up-the-shitter' and you are now a golden oldies act.

Your idea/impression of Vegas is outdated by roughly 40 years or so.

Vegas killed Elvis off. His last burst of creativity was 1969 when he had that amazing spell of recordings. By 1973 you could not get the guy in the studio (sound familiar?). That is why a lot of Elvis's later songs are live, because it was so hard to get the guy into a studio. Elvis could have continued having significent recording sessions and played in places like the UK and Japan for the first time, instead of playing gambling joints to bored housewifes with too much blusher.

pretty much sums up my thoughts about residencies

pretty much sums up my thoughts about residencies

Britney Spears is about to start a Vegas residency. I don´t think she is wash up. My guess is it is good business for any kind of artist :shrugs:

It's harder for Axl, Axl has to write his songs. Elvis hardly wrote anything.