The Mötley Crüe Thread

wfuckinga

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the guy who might not be a blatant cupcake.

Ok. Well to his point, I do think that the original members of Crue and KISS are FAR more recognizable than say, bassist and drummer of, well, Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd was known for Roger and David.. Just like with The Who...they were known because of Pete and Roger. The Doors: Jim and Ray. Ask people on the street to name members from those three bands: If they say another name that I didn't list, I'd honestly be schocked. I'll give you Sabbath, everyone knows who Sabbath is. I'll give you Led Zep as well, because they are considered one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

KISS: everyone knows them for the makeup and pyro and the "Showy" part of what they were, and that's great, that's what they wanted. They'll all know Gene's tounge, Paul's voice and possibly his seeming hatred of covering his chest, they'll know what Ace and Peter look like, Space Ace and Catman.

Motley Crue: Like it or not, they are a big band. While yes, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc are big bands, how recognizable are the members to people compared to Motley Crue or KISS?

To people slagging the band: Motley Crue are currently the most iconic 4-piece band in the world where all original members are widely recognized (3rd in the history of music after The Beatles and KISS). You don't achieve that if the players don't have amazing chemistry together and make a great sound.

MetallicaLed ZeppelinBlack SabbathU2Pink FloydVan HalenThe DoorsThe WhoAnd besides, the only reason anyone knows Tommy Lee is the sex tape.
I just checked with a 17 and 16 year old. Both are into rap only.

The bands they heard off:

Metallica

Black Sabbath

Kiss

Beatles

Rolling Stones

van Halen

U2

They never heard of Motley Crue, but did heard of Tommy Lee (how can that be? :awesomeface: )

They never heard of GNR as well, but did hear off NR and SCOM. GNR were nr. 1 again in one of ours top 1000 ever this year.

Edited by MB.

Van Halen vs Motley (since some douche thinks Motley is a better 4 piece)

Alex Van Halen > Tommy Lee

Eddie Van Halen >>>>>>>>>>>>>Mick Mars

DLR>>>>>Vince

Nikki Sixx> Anthony/Wolfgang (so they get 1/4)

Led Zeppelin vs Motley

Page>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mick

Bonham>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tommy

Plant>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vince

JPJ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nikki

Umm...Ya, fuck Motley.

Or lack thereof :jerkoff:

You're an ignorant little boy and you wouldn't know shit from clay until you bit into it.

This place needs a kids section so you can pretend to be Izzy and sprout bullshit without interrupting the adults :drool:

:rofl-lol:

It's fucking hilarious. Some people like Mötley Crüe, and that makes me an ignorant little boy? It's called music taste. All of us have it, and some is different than others. If you don't like Crüe, don't post in my thread. And don't refer to me as a child, I've got a job, pay for rent, and have a baby.

To people slagging the band: Motley Crue are currently the most iconic 4-piece band in the world where all original members are widely recognized (3rd in the history of music after The Beatles and KISS). You don't achieve that if the players don't have amazing chemistry together and make a great sound.

MetallicaLed ZeppelinBlack SabbathU2Pink FloydVan HalenThe DoorsThe WhoAnd besides, the only reason anyone knows Tommy Lee is the sex tape.
I just checked with a 17 and 16 year old. Both are into rap only.

The bands they heard off:

Metallica

Black Sabbath

Kiss

Beatles

Rolling Stones

van Halen

U2

They never heard of Motley Crue, but did heard of Tommy Lee (how can that be? :awesomeface: )

They never heard of GNR as well, but did hear off NR and SCOM. GNR were nr. 1 again in one of ours top 1000 ever this year.

and there we have it. indisputable proof that wfuckinga and machinegunner are full of shit. thanks for your help mb

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the guy who might not be a blatant cupcake.

Ok. Well to his point, I do think that the original members of Crue and KISS are FAR more recognizable than say, bassist and drummer of, well, Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd was known for Roger and David.. Just like with The Who...they were known because of Pete and Roger. The Doors: Jim and Ray. Ask people on the street to name members from those three bands: If they say another name that I didn't list, I'd honestly be schocked. I'll give you Sabbath, everyone knows who Sabbath is. I'll give you Led Zep as well, because they are considered one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

KISS: everyone knows them for the makeup and pyro and the "Showy" part of what they were, and that's great, that's what they wanted. They'll all know Gene's tounge, Paul's voice and possibly his seeming hatred of covering his chest, they'll know what Ace and Peter look like, Space Ace and Catman.

Motley Crue: Like it or not, they are a big band. While yes, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc are big bands, how recognizable are the members to people compared to Motley Crue or KISS?

No. The Who are the epitome of a band that is truly a sum of all it's parts.

Motley Crue were a great band for the type of music they performed.

But they were probably one of those bands that you needed to experience first-hand to understand how good they were or what they meant to the rock world.

Motley is like the girl that all the guys at your high school lusted after during your senior year.

But twenty years later when you show her picture to your teenage son, he's like "dad, she isn't even that hot."

And maybe her picture isn't really even that hot compared to the Kate Upton's and Scarlett Johansson's of the world.

But he didn't experience her in real life like you did- he didn't hear her voice, see her personality, party with her and see how funny and smart she was.

It's easy to look at Motley Crue and listen to a few youtube videos in 2014 and go "ya, they look gay and the songs are pretty cheesy." But in the 80s, these guys were pretty great. Has their music held up and stood the test of time? Naw, most of it didn't. But in the late 80s, they were as important as any other rock band out there.

That's actually a very, very good comparison, Groghan.
  • Like 1

But they were probably one of those bands that you needed to experience first-hand to understand how good they were or what they meant to the rock world.

Motley is like the girl that all the guys at your high school lusted after during your senior year.

But twenty years later when you show her picture to your teenage son, he's like "dad, she isn't even that hot."

And maybe her picture isn't really even that hot compared to the Kate Upton's and Scarlett Johansson's of the world.

But he didn't experience her in real life like you did- he didn't hear her voice, see her personality, party with her and see how funny and smart she was.

It's easy to look at Motley Crue and listen to a few youtube videos in 2014 and go "ya, they look gay and the songs are pretty cheesy." But in the 80s, these guys were pretty great. Has their music held up and stood the test of time? Naw, most of it didn't. But in the late 80s, they were as important as any other rock band out there.

I agree with all of this.

I used to really like them, but like you said there music hasn't aged that well.

When I would rather listen to the following bands (and I don't consider myself fans of these bands)

Def Leppard

Ratt

Great White

Bon Jovi

Poison

Cinderella

(I think all these bands wrote better songs than Motley, which is what it boils down to. Just my opinion)

Edited by Mike420

And that's all really any of this is, is an opinion. It's my opinion that Crüe is a good band, it's opinions they aren't. Whatever. Their opinions aren't gonna stop me from liking the band :shrugs:

Great post Groghan. And to those saying "I really liked them in high school, but..", you gotta remember I am in high school

They are just an awful band and awful people.

I remember reading The Dirt and just being baffled that four grown men could be so shitty and stupid. They have nothing interesting or thoughtful to say, and it's all just a spiral of shittiness, backstabbing, and borderline bragging about their drug and alcohol intake.

Their only POSSIBLY credible release was their first album. From then on they took on this phoney self indulgent image that ruined the credibility of their music.

And like I said, on top of that they are just awful people. Their interviews and writings make me cringe. The Heroin Diaries was worse than Slash's book somehow.

Edited by LiveFromNormal
  • Like 1

well fuck, that was awesome

• Like 1

I understand what you are trying to say and maybe it's different in the US, but they were already considered 'cheesy' in the late '80s. Just like every other 'hair' metal band by the way. Not that I have a problem with that, cause actually GNR was considered 'cheesy' in the early 90s as well in my country. Just wanted to mention it. I don't want to call them 'important' as well, better use the word 'relevant'.

Anyone else hoping for an album or an EP or something before/during/after the Farewell Tour? Sex was great, I would love to hear more. I actually got the free download of Sex from Crüe, loved it so much I bought it on iTunes anyways.

I just want a proper new album

Plus i just want to see MC with a proper Vince Neil (this means: when he can sing properly not like a dying out of breath cat)

Generation Swine is a very underrated album

and that being said, Dr Feelgood is completely overrated

Generation Swine is complete garbage, the only good song is the 97 version SATD

and Dr. Feelgood is a very good record

Edited by Crash Diet

I understand what you are trying to say and maybe it's different in the US, but they were already considered 'cheesy' in the late '80s. Just like every other 'hair' metal band by the way. Not that I have a problem with that, cause actually GNR was considered 'cheesy' in the early 90s as well in my country. Just wanted to mention it. I don't want to call them 'important' as well, better use the word 'relevant'.

well fuck, that was awesome

Thanks!

I grew up in that era, still listen to tons of music from that era, have a blog about that generation of music, so I'm pretty passionate about it.

MB - ya, it was different in the United States.

In the late 80s, hair metal ruled the rock world. And Motley were one of the Kings of the era. Bands like poison and winger followed the popular trends.......but the trends were made popular by bands like Motley Crue. Kind of like Anthony Michael Hall in 16 Candles when he tells the hot chick that he might be a dork, but he is the king of the dorks.

Motley's two late 80's releases were their most non-cheesy releases. Girls Girls Girls and Dr. Feelgood. The make-up and cheesy costumes were gone. Those are two pure hard rock albums, by guys wanting their music to represent them more than their looks.

Songs like Feelgood, Kickstart My Heart, Go Away Mad, Wild Side, Girls Girls Girls......those are pure hard rock songs that don't really even fit in the hair band category.

Your GnR comment is relevant, as there were a lot of bands that get lumped into the hair metal era simply because they were active during the time period. GnR, Aerosmith, and even Motley.

TFFL was before the era even started, nothing hair band about it at all.

Looks that Kill came out right when the era was getting started, but those bands were still considered more Heavy Metal than Hair Metal. Bands like Crue, Scorpions, Quiet Riot were popular - not Winger and Poison.

Theatre of Pain could be considered a pure hair band cheesy album - I won't argue that.

But their two late 80s albums weren't really hair band either - they were pure hard rock albums. Girls Girls Girls and Dr. Feelgood. Those were guys riding their motorcycles and rocking out, not guys in spandex and make-up. There is a huge different between Kickstart My Heart and She's Only 17 or Down Boys.

Just for those who weren't around......Dr. Feelgood sold over six million copies, went to number ONE on the billboard chart, had four top 20 songs.......that's overall, not the "rock" chart. This album was huge.

I will admit that they weren't a great albums band, but more of a singles band.

For fans of the band today...........what did you think of the songs "If I Die Tomorrow" and "Hollywood Ending." To me, they were kind of a perfect combination of the two best Crue albums - Feelgood and TFFL.