Pick a song to kick off the show

I have seen guns twice on the AFD tour and another 2 times for UYI and 3 times for the decade long CD tour.

During UYI days both times it was Nightrain and it was kind of a bummer for me to kick off a show it just didn't get everyone fired up.

CD days WTTJ and CD, WTTJ was better as an opener than CD but I just feel WTTJ should come later in show around song 5, CD is a good opener too but most there just don't get the song.

AFD days both times it was ISE and to me it is a perfect opener and really got the crowd going but didn't overshadow the other rockers, kind of like they were building on the excitement of ISE later in the set with the other rockers . They followed it the first time with WTTJ and the 2nd time Mr. Brownstone. Both shows flowed so good as far as the setlist order they put together.

My pick

It's So Easy

Edited by bigcountry

I have no problem with Nighttrain/ISE or CD as the opener. I was just looking at the set list for the Paris gig that was on Sky in 1992, I must have watched that gig a thousand times when I was a 15 year old kid but my copy missed the first song! So I was wondering what it was. It was ISE.

I remember I was in the park playing football and I was like 'shit I forgot to record the GnR gig!' I had to cycle about four miles to get home! Good memories for me.

Back on topic, WTTJ should come later in the set.

As an opener, it's hard to beat Perfect Crime. But it'd kill Axl nowadays.

I think WTTJ was especially awesome in 2006, the delay-driven intro is great to pump your blood up.

I think it'd be kickass to open with You Could be Mine. Frank could do an extended drum solo to start the show and it could just morph into YCBM. U2 on the first 2 legs of the 360 tour opened with a song called Breathe and it was Larry Mullen doing an extended drum solo before the guitars kicked in. It was actually pretty badass. Would be even better with a kickass tune like YCBM.

WTTJ just feels like the perfect opener. The lights finally go down and people who have been waiting for hours hear those opening chords in the darkness, it's chilling. Then the spotlight goes on DJ and that excitement goes away quickly, but still an awesome song to begin a show.

WTTJ has been and always will be the safest bet. Chinese Democracy wasn't bad either when I saw them a few years ago.

I know this may sound crazy to a lot of you but I always wondered what it would be like to all of a sudden begin to hear the intro to Paradise City to begin a show....I think the only problem would be that the crowd would go ballistic....so the noise could muffle the intro guitar riff.

Depending entirely on the type of show. Stadium show then it's paradise city, Jungle, My Michelle, YCBM at a up close and personal they can play deeper cuts as an opener with many people attending being GnRManiacs so they could open with Pretty tied up, Shacklers revenge, Out ta get me. I'd be happy if Cd was thrown to mid set and Paradise city was moved to the opener. I'd also like to see the Appetite quartet broken up... it's a great 1234 punch but they have so many. Paradise city, my michelle, think about you and Sweet child.... followed by LALD, SOD,YCBM, You're crazy, Gtr solo 1, Brownstone, Yesterdays, CD, Shacklers, Solo II, Sorry, Estranged, Don't cry, November rain, KOHD, Rocket Queen Solo III, Better, Dead horse, Nightrain, Encore: WTTJ, Pretty tied up, Used to love her, Patience, TWAT, Its so easy .End. I'd be pretty happy with that set, think it covers all the corner stones and still gives the diehard fan a lot of what they would want in a set.

I've always been of the mind that GN'R could walk out on stage and open with any song they wanted to outside of My World. I truly believe they could just waltz out on stage and open with Patience if they wanted to.

I personally don't mind the CD/Jungle combo and I actually really like CD as the opener. It's more the ISE/Brownstone thing right after that slows the shows down for me. It's a weird feeling to have because I truly love ISE & Brownstone, but when they both come right after Jungle every time, it almost gives me a feeling like I have to wait for them to be over for the actual show to start.

If they seperated those two or even moved them further back in the set, it would make a big difference for me. Not sure if any of that makes sense, but that's how I feel.