Terminator Genisys

I thought the movie was good. 6/10. the time travel aspect was different than I expected. The story was fine but they should have went back in to the T2 timeline.

A few points were weird to me. At one point John Conner was supposedly killed by the MRI machine and then he walks into a room perfectly fine in the next scene.

Arnolds' Character was being destroyed in the time machine bubble, he was thrown out and dies, then he walks into the room perfectly fine in the next scene. Didn't

make sense. But as a whole, I like the movie, had action and decent story. Just the feel of the movie was different. I'll buy it on blu-ray just because I am a fan. This

movie is 1000 times better than Salvation.

I thought the movie was good. 6/10. the time travel aspect was different than I expected. The story was fine but they should have went back in to the T2 timeline.

A few points were weird to me. At one point John Conner was supposedly killed by the MRI machine and then he walks into a room perfectly fine in the next scene.

Arnolds' Character was being destroyed in the time machine bubble, he was thrown out and dies, then he walks into the room perfectly fine in the next scene. Didn't

make sense. But as a whole, I like the movie, had action and decent story. Just the feel of the movie was different. I'll buy it on blu-ray just because I am a fan. This

movie is 1000 times better than Salvation.

Old Terminator fell into a vat of the mimetic polyalloy nanobot shit and it rejuvenated him.

I'd like to know who sent the Terminator to a young Sarah Connor.

Did I miss something? How did Skynet attacking John in 2029 change Judgment Day from 1997 to 2017? And Miles Dyson and his son still create Skynet?

Skynet attacking John didn't change Judgement Day. Judgement Day was changed by old Arnold destroying the young Arnold terminator. Remember, the young Arnold was supposed to find Sarah and eventually be destroyed by her and Kyle, leaving its arm and CPU to be recovered by Cyberdyne. But since that didn't happen, the date for Judgement Day was pushed back.
  • Like 1

I'd like to know who sent the Terminator to a young Sarah Connor.

Did I miss something? How did Skynet attacking John in 2029 change Judgment Day from 1997 to 2017? And Miles Dyson and his son still create Skynet?

Skynet attacking John didn't change Judgement Day. Judgement Day was changed by old Arnold destroying the young Arnold terminator. Remember, the young Arnold was supposed to find Sarah and eventually be destroyed by her and Kyle, leaving its arm and CPU to be recovered by Cyberdyne. But since that didn't happen, the date for Judgement Day was pushed back.

Yeah, I picked that up after posting that and thinking more about it. They dissolved the T-1000 and T-800 in 1984 and used the T-800 chip for time travel. Since 1984 Sarah skipped to 2017 she was never in 1994 to attack Miles Dyson and stop his work. Miles and Danny still made Skynet, but they were extremely behind old schedule because the 1984 T-800 was completely destroyed.

movie is basically a big flop in North America but huge hit internationally -- it's made 80% of its cash this weekend from overseas, where in 22 territories it was the highest opener of Schwarzenegger's career.

we're entering a really weird (and kind of scary, tbh) era of movie-making where suddenly the overseas figures are what make or break a movie. this didn't used to be the case...but just look at figures for the marvel movies, jurassic world, or any other big action film in recent memory -- overseas is where most of the business is done.

so what we might start seeing more often are films that flop in north america but make so much overseas that sequels are made and just aren't pushed as hard here. if terminator 6 and 7 actually happens it should be interesting to see if they change the promotional rollout at all...

movie is basically a big flop in North America but huge hit internationally -- it's made 80% of its cash this weekend from overseas, where in 22 territories it was the highest opener of Schwarzenegger's career.

we're entering a really weird (and kind of scary, tbh) era of movie-making where suddenly the overseas figures are what make or break a movie. this didn't used to be the case...but just look at figures for the marvel movies, jurassic world, or any other big action film in recent memory -- overseas is where most of the business is done.

so what we might start seeing more often are films that flop in north america but make so much overseas that sequels are made and just aren't pushed as hard here. if terminator 6 and 7 actually happens it should be interesting to see if they change the promotional rollout at all...

I think what is killing Terminator in the US is Jurassic World. It remains to be the number one in the US. By the end of the week Jurassic World will pass the $600 million mark and there's no telling when it will stop.

So far it is doing well overseas, it has opened number one in Russia, Korea, Hong Kong, Mexico, Malaysia and Ukraine. Those are hardly big box offices. It made $2 million in India but that is a nation of computer nerds who rather watch it for free. Germany and Japan haven't opened yet. U.K. is a big market but I think it is only number 2 or 3.

China doesn't even had a set release date and that will fuck them. Their only hope for a sequel if they break it overseas. In the US it has only made $44 million which is poor compared to what Salvation made in 5 days with $65 million and that doesn't count inflation.

With a budet of $155 million and probably just as much as marketing, $129 million in its opening week is pitiful.

they've also downgraded the production budget in the weeks leading to release. it was originally pegged much closer to $200 million.

and if you consider how much they paid for marketing (which isn't included in that base budget) then it's probably much, much higher. i wouldn't even be surprised if all-in, they paid close to $400 mil. the campaign started back with the superbowl spot and those ads aren't cheap, and they were pretty aggressive with commercials and stuff.

i think the bottom line is this is the perfect kind of movie (at least in north america) where critics do still matter. it isn't a marvel-type movie with an automatic built-in fanbase. the first two terminators are well respected and revered films but, especially because they're so different from each other, this has never really been a series built on mythology with a rabid die-hard fanbase. they tried to do that with salvation and sarah connor chronicles (and now with genisys) but the series wasn't built on that to begin with, and i think that's where there's a miscalculation. the judgment day war was purposely vague in the first two because it wasn't about that, and we didn't really need to know connor - he was more of a christ figure. the sequels have all just kind of misjudged what made the series appealing to begin with, imo.

anyway, long-winded way of saying: i don't think the series has a younger fanbase who will flock to see it regardless of quality (e.g. transformers), and arnold isn't a huge box office draw anymore in north america. so if the reviews had been enthusiastic, i think this could have easily made a higher amount opening weekend and stood a chance to have greater legs; but because it received the same mediocre CinemaScore as the last two sequels, and because its reviews were so poor, i think it turned off many people who might have been "on the fence" and doesn't stand a great chance of improving in the coming weeks. i'd be surprised if it even makes it to $100 mil in north america.

I keep hearing reports of movie theater attendence being so low. I would see Mad Max two weeks after release and the theater was packed. You wouldn't think Mad Max had so many American fans compared to Terminator. Terminator has a lot of fans in the US, but at you said, they loved the first two. The idea of more Terminator films is just silly to us. Still, Schwarzenegger still means something in Asia.

The guy who plays the T-1000 is one of the most beloved actors in South Korea so it will make some money there. I think South Korea's box office market is third behind Japan and China. The last Transformers film cast Chinese actors and set the last quarter of the film in China. It paid off because the film made over $300 million there.

Sometimes filmmakers need to realize that some franchises are not meant to go on. T3 may have been unnecessary but assured us that the myth will go on. If they need to make another film, make it good. Otherwise just cast all Asian actors next time with the aging Arnie.

Made $127 million over the weekend when you tally international and domestic box offices. It will likely make Paramount money in the end, but not much. Wonder if those two sequels are still green-lit?

It would be humiliating for Paramount if they are forced to cancel. This is the kind of thing that ruins careers of studio executives. Maybe they will contact Spielberg asking when Indy 5 is coming out? Maybe they are going to realize they were betting on the wrong horse and should have thrown their support behing Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation even if Tom Cruise was a little shit and is apart of a strange occult.

They fucked up.

The sad thing about this whole ordeal is that originally, T- Genisys wasn't a David Ellison/Skydance production. Terminator was picked up by his sister Megan Ellison and her wunderkind company Annapurna. The company that has bulletproof artistic integrity in Hollywood.

Obviously, when Megan was holding the purse strings, her idea was to go after auterial directors and get them interested in the posibilites of Terminator. Who knows how many doors she knocked on that closed in her face before she washed her hands of the project and gave it to brother David, at which point, it really became about action figures in a sandbox.

For a while at least, it seemed like Terminator couldn't lose as long as Megan Ellison was calling the shots. She even promised an "R" rated film, before the film went into production. God Bless you Megan, we know you tried.

All of these franchises should be put out their misery. The ending of T2 was perfect. It was tight. It had a sense of logic. And since they made a dog's dinner with the dating, it rather described why we were not battling Skynet in 1997 rather than listening to the Spice Girls. Why ruin it with inferior films played by different actors (I hate it when that happens by the way; there has been three different Nick Platts!).

Aliens, again perfect: Queen Mother destroyed.

God bless Back to the Future.

Well, it was definitely better than Salvation but that's not saying a whole lot. I guess I'd be inclined to rank it close to T3 if it had a huge, drawn-out action scene like the car chase through downtown LA near the beginning of T3. The casting of Jason Clarke as John Connor was also better than T3, I found.

Wow Megan and David Ellison are young! Megan is 29 and has three Oscar noms under her belt. I think it was poor judgement on their part. They made a lot of mistakes with this film. Poor casting, spoiling the surprise in the marketing, just what were they thinking?

It seems a lot of thought was put into getting this franchise back on its feet even though it should have been left alone after T2. Why go through the effort to make a terrible movie? You have two charismatic leads. There was talks of Tom Hardy getting the role of Kyle Reese. Now if they got someone other than Emilia Clarke know for getting naked on Game of Thrones, you would have had two actors you enjoy watching on screen.

When I read about the concept I thought it was interesting, but they blew it.

You're right. Surprised Mega joined this turd after her other successful movies. Still, movie is doing great overseas.

She stayed on as "executive producer" whatever that means. Her brother would be the bigger loser but he will redeem himself with Rogue Nation.

Saw it last night. I really liked it. I went in with low expectations. Not as good as first 2 but defiantly better than 3 and Salvation. People say there is too much humor in it but I thought there was just right amount. No more than T2 really.