The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

Had an Old Fashion (Don Draper's drink) at a bar the other night. Never had bourbon before. Delicious.

Weren't you the one saying you always drank a pint of Jack to calm your nerves or was that a load of bullshit?

I thought Jack Daniels is whisky? It says Tennesse Whisky on the container? I'm not exactly an alcohol expert, so is there some difference between bourbon and whisky?

Had an Old Fashion (Don Draper's drink) at a bar the other night. Never had bourbon before. Delicious.

Weren't you the one saying you always drank a pint of Jack to calm your nerves or was that a load of bullshit?

I thought Jack Daniels is whisky? It says Tennesse Whisky on the container? I'm not exactly an alcohol expert, so is there some difference between bourbon and whisky?

Ah, this!

They're all whisk(e)y.

Bourbon, Scotch, Tennessee, Irish, Japanese, whatever. Whisk(e)y is pretty much malted grains that are mashed, fermented, distilled to at least 40% alcohol and then matured for a minimum amount of time (depending on region and type of whisky) in oak barrels.

Bourbon law is pretty strict.

- It must be produced in the USA

- It may be made from any mixture of grains, as long as at least 51% of that grain is corn

- It must contain at least 40% alcohol

- It must be put in the barrel which at the most 62,5% alcohol (125 proof)

- It must be aged in the USA in new (never before used) oak barrels

- It must be produced from grains, yeast and water

Funny thing is, there's no restriction on how old it must be. Might be 3 months, might be 25 years. To call your bourbon Straight Bourbon though, it has to be at least 2 years old.

Jack Daniels initially does all of this. But after the spirit is distilled, they filter it through charcoal to take the rough edge off and making it more smooth before they put it in the casks. Bourbon law sees this as adding an additional ingredient and thus Jack Daniels isn't allowed by law to call itself Bourbon. So they decided to call it Tennessee Whiskey instead. That's what whisky writer and member of the Jack Daniel's Tennessee Squire Association Hans Offringa told me in a Jack Daniels masterclass anyway. :)

I'm not sure if that's entirely true though. I've also read that they can call it Bourbon, but simply choose not to. I've even heard they're trying to put that charcoal filtering down as a legal requirement to be called Tennessee whiskey. There might be some legal dispute there...

Edited by username
  • Like 3