BBF on leaving GNR: "The reign of doom is over"

What's the over/under on number of musicians who have to leave the band before everyone just admits that Axl is nuts and impossible to work with?

Is anyone saying Axl isn't impossible to work with? :huh:

Me. Every single person he has worked with in the past has come back (or tried to come back) except for Buckethead because he's afraid of Tommy. If Axl was impossible to work with that simply wouldn't be the case. I'm sure the lack of every single thing a functioning band should do besides an occasional tour gets old, but working with him doesn't seem to be anybody's problem. Not working with him seems to be most people's actual problem.

• Like 1

So it is official, BF is out of Gn'R

As person he seemed like a good guy, he seems like a good guitarist also. When it comes to Gn'R, BF, like DJ, Stinton, Frank, Pittman, Finck, Brain, Buckethead, will never be Gn'R. Gn'R are Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler. Gilby, Sorum helped smooth over the cracks for a while, but once Gn'R becomes Axl + hired=hands, there's too many cracks to fill. R.I.P Gn'R.

I can't wait for Axl fans to start trashing Bumblefoot, a member of the band they completely loved up until the point of his departure. :)

That's them all over. They love'em until they quit. Got to laugh. Hipocrites.

Edited by star

What's the over/under on number of musicians who have to leave the band before everyone just admits that Axl is nuts and impossible to work with?

Me. Every single person he has worked with in the past has come back (or tried to come back) except for Buckethead because he's afraid of Tommy. If Axl was impossible to work with that simply wouldn't be the case. I'm sure the lack of every single thing a functioning band should do besides an occasional tour gets old, but working with him doesn't seem to be anybody's problem. Not working with him seems to be most people's actual problem.

No, I get it. I was going along with magisme's wording. If we change it to "difficult to work with", which is more or less what I expect magisme meant behind his always polemic rhetoric, then I think most here would agree based on what we know from both the making of UYI and CD. And yes, not working with him seems to be an ever bigger problem.

• Like 1

:rolleyes: Semantics at it's finest.

The dude is impossible to work with. That's why everyone leaves. Every single person he's worked with in the past has come back? Interesting. I guess we've been following completely different bands all these years because the band I've been following, not one fucking person has ever come back.

• Like 1

The dude is impossible to work with. That's why everyone leaves. Every single person he's worked with in the past has come back? Interesting. I guess we've been following completely different bands all these years because the band I've been following, not one fucking person has ever come back.

Bono,

There is a selection of people on here who find a way to paint Axl in a positive light - regardless of what common sense and facts would indicate. And there is a population of people on here that just like to argue with others - Soulmonsters falls into that category. You could say that Guns n Roses released November Rain, your forum screenname is Bono and that a grilled cheese sandwich contains bread and cheese - and he would find some weird off-shoot point to argue with you about all three things. So keep that in mind when interacting with him.

Axl is extremely difficult to work with. His career has proven this, even back in the early days. His arrogance and attitude have angered and driven off many people - from bandmates to people behind the scenes.

So why do people come back? Pretty simple. Friendship, loyalty and Axl's amazing musical talent.

I have a cousin that I don't get along with. We've fought since we were kids. We had a family Christmas back when he was 6 and I was 5. I woke up Christmas morning and went into the living room. I had ONE toy under the tree, while he had like 30 toys on his side. Why? Because the little dickweed got up an hour before everybody else and MOVED all the toys to his side of the tree, took off tags that had my name on them and replaced them with tags that said his name.

But if he was in trouble or in need, I wouldn't hesitate to come to his aid now. That's why Duff/Izzy have came back and played again with Axl. Those guys were brothers for about a five year period and created something really magical together. You can't create the greatest rock debut album of all time, four of the best rock albums overall of all time in a six year period, and not always share a bond with each other.

Secondly - Axl's talent.

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that not very many singers out there have the same kind of presence - or history making ability - that Axl does. Even at this stage of the game, Axl is still one of the most dynamic frontmen alive. And even if you didn't like working with him, it's very hard to turn down the opportunity to work with a genius (a genius in your chosen profession).

Why do people like to go fast in cars? Or risk their lives climbing mountains? Or jump out of perfectly safe airplanes? The thrill of the adventure. And musicians know that if they step into a studio with Axl Rose (or into a band) there is that CHANCE of being part of a magical moment.

If LA Guns or Ratt or Great White puts out an album next month, they know their ceiling (if everything falls into place perfectly) would be to sell a million albums. They are hoping to sell 100,000. Realistically, they know they are looking at 50,000 at best. But when you step into a studio with Axl Rose......you know you are giving yourself the opportunity of potentially being part of a .....well, of an Appetite or Illusions. You could be creating something that will stand the test of time musically. You are hoping for the next Jungle or SCOM or Nov Rain. You might not get it........but there is a chance. With Ratt - there is no chance of changing the rock world, of releasing an iconic piece of music, of selling 10 million albums, of having a couple number one hits. With Axl Rose - there is.

And that, my friends, is why people go back and work with Axl Rose. The chance to potentially be part of something that ends up being historically special. BBF took his shot for 7-8 years and gave up. Buckethead/Fink - left sooner. Stintson and Fortus are just collecting their paychecks and seem to be happy with that. DJ seems like be interested in creating with Axl. Will be interesting to see how long he sticks it out if he never gets his chance.

No, we're following the same band. You are just at the unfortunate disadvantage of not having the ability to understand things that happen right in front of you. I'm sure you were born that way though, so I accept you the way that you are.

No, we're following the same band. You are just at the unfortunate disadvantage of not having the ability to understand things that happen right in front of you. I'm sure you were born that way though, so I accept you the way that you are.

When a former member rejoins the band get back to. Until then STFU because nobody who has ever left has ever come back.

When a former member rejoins the band get back to. Until then STFU because nobody who has ever left has ever come back.

Everyone that has left has come back to play with him which nullifies your dumbass argument the he is unbearable to work with. Until you learn to figure out what happened in the real world instead of being blinded by your undying and pathetic bitterness, STFU because nobody cares how much you wish you had a point.

BBF was a breath of fresh air in guns. He talked to us, and he seemed to care about the fans.

He was also clever and a little manipulative when he communicated, which must've pissed Axl off quite a lot.

But critically, I just didn't like his guitar playing. It was weird and not very soulful to me. It seemed a bad fit for guns.

• Like 2

Everyone that has left has come back to play with him which nullifies your dumbass argument the he is unbearable to work with. Until you learn to figure out what happened in the real world instead of being blinded by your undying and pathetic bitterness, STFU because nobody cares how much you wish you had a point.

If he's not unbearable to work with, what has driven so many away? Sure many come back for a visit or a tour even but never back into the fold full time.

The the old line up found him unbearable that has been documented to death, resurrection and back to death again but then again he said he found them to be the same way.

It more recent decades (did I just write that?) it would be more correct to say that he has not been unbearable to work with, he just doesn't work at a creative pace that someone who wants to write and release new music and be known for such can hang around for.

Just because Finck/etc are still on good terms with Axl ( well, at least enough to show up and play a show or two ), and weren't thrown under the bus ( ala Bucket ), doesn't mean they would be willing to work with him again. Finck's quote on getting frustrated with having done "Instrumental Track #303 (whatever it was)," without ever getting to see (er hear) the fruits of his labor, does kinda point to Axl being "impossible" to work with. It's not that Axl does anything to make people hate him ( aside from Bucket / Slash ), it's that his process ( if you can call it that ) for making music is draining/frustrating/ not very reciprocal. It's the same reason most of the guys in the band have an outlet where they actually get to create music.

Just because Finck/etc are still on good terms with Axl ( well, at least enough to show up and play a show or two ), and weren't thrown under the bus ( ala Bucket ), doesn't mean they would be willing to work with him again. Finck's quote on getting frustrated with having done "Instrumental Track #303 (whatever it was)," without ever getting to see (er hear) the fruits of his labor, does kinda point to Axl being "impossible" to work with. It's not that Axl does anything to make people hate him ( aside from Bucket / Slash ), it's that his process ( if you can call it that ) for making music is draining/frustrating/ not very reciprocal. It's the same reason most of the guys in the band have an outlet where they actually get to create music.

It's more of a selfish artistic need to write an album that reflects what Axl personally likes, and releasing it whenever he wants to on his terms. He's probably still writing, and has many songs in the vault.

New Guns is a vehicle to express what Axl wants musically. It is different in that way from old Guns, and in many other ways.

So normal musicians that join Axl's band for whatever reason get frustrated when nothing is released for years and they have no artistic control. He even copy/pastes a lot of the solos, if not most.

He controls it fully, and the pace is slow cause he's not a well adjusted human being. Prolific he is not. That doesn't mean that he doesn't write music, but he's rich as fuck so he gets to do it in his own time, and rarely share his work with the fans which is not common among rock musicians. They actually enjoy sharing music every few years.

I also think the kind of music Axl is trying to make takes a lot of time cause the nature of the process is unnatural to begin with.

He's using every guitar player and every member of the band in the studio like tools to paint the picture, or the vision he imagines to be what a modern Guns album supposed to sound like, and everytime he loses a member cause it's taking too long, he adds the new member to the project, and beyond that comes back to the songs years after they were written to add more layers of new ideas and more detail always perfecting it to reach a certain personal standard.

It's less inclusive then what most musicians will do, and it takes up a lot of resources to do it on that scale, with that much control.

I don't think Axl will attempt this again on that scale, or with this line up. He'll just release the rest of the Chinese project (CD ll) and the remix album and it will take years before anything new can happen if ever. He's not getting any younger and 7 years is not too long between releases for him. In 7 years he'll be 60.

Edited by Rovim

I like Ron as a person and as a musician. Fortus should be given ALL lead duties from now on simply because of the fact that he is a good enough player to cope with the material and if Gashba is relegated to rhythm or better still, Axl's towel boy, the songs will be represented accurately live without any needless changes to make them easier to play.

Gashba really is going to cop it massively if they keep a two guitar format and make him the lead player. That would be like reforming Led Zep and sticking Meg White on the drum kit.

Good luck Ron, all the best, thanks for the awesome shows and hospitality.

The Gashtag era begins now!

• Like 1