MTV master of Ritz 88 now on Youtube

Slash was rough around the edges for sure on this gig, he messed up all of the first solos... that's Dj quality, and we'd rip Dj to shreds if he played like that now. Steven sped up every song, but you've got to love his enthusiasm and his cymbal use. Axl, Duff and Izzy are on form though.

This film catches the band warts and all, before they really honed what it was that they did.

I think Slash is bloody great on that show and you are all nuts. It has just become trendy nowadays as a point of elitism to put down the Ritz show and say things like, ''actually, that was a poor night''. If 'honed' means, Axl in white shorts, tracy and roberta, you can stick that 'honed' and place it in a garbage can.

• Like 2

I think Slash is bloody great on that show and you are all nuts. It has just become trendy nowadays as a point of elitism to put down the Ritz show and say things like, ''actually, that was a poor night''. If 'honed' means, Axl in white shorts, tracy and roberta, you can stick that 'honed' and place it in a garbage can.

Spoken like a true blind Slash fanboy. Well done. :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

Anybody nit picking Axl's voice or Slash's playing need to have their heart checked. That is a rock show right there. Would you trade all that raw energy so Axl could sing pitch perfect all night? Would you trade the fresh off the street attitude so Slash could play note by note by the book? I wouldn't. One of the best GNR shows of all time. I can feel that performance and wasn't even there.

• Like 1

Anybody nit picking Axl's voice or Slash's playing need to have their heart checked. That is a rock show right there. Would you trade all that raw energy so Axl could sing pitch perfect all night? Would you trade the fresh off the street attitude so Slash could play note by note by the book? I wouldn't. One of the best GNR shows of all time. I can feel that performance and wasn't even there.

The Ritz '88 is not a great Guns show. There are much better Gn'R shows from that year and others.

It's still really good, cause the energy is insane. Even an average Guns show from that time was always full of energy, but that doesn't make it any better then it really is.

There were shows where you got all the energy and wild ride thing, and still it was amazing technically as well cause Slash didn't fuck up and Axl gave a top performance.

So the Ritz was good, it's just that compared to many, many Guns shows it wasn't amazing.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Axl has NEVER been a great singer live. this show was business as usual for Axl, why are people being critical and acting surprised? I've expected this kind or singing since I first started hearing lots of live GNR around '91 or '92.

Axl has NEVER been a great singer live. this show was business as usual for Axl, why are people being critical and acting surprised? I've expected this kind or singing since I first started hearing lots of live GNR around '91 or '92.

This is simply not true. He was a great singer live, only he was never a consistent one. There were Guns shows that were showcases of how great he really was. Insane range, control, and power when he's having a good night.

Edited by Rovim

If this was "mediocre" for a GNR gig then were the support shows for the Rolling Stones worse?

A singer and lead guitarist can get away with being a little sloppy but they'll show no mercy to the rhythm section. I think that's the case with a lot of bands. I don't know if there's much audio of Duff being a sloppy player, even if he looked like a big mess.

This is simply not true. He was a great singer live, only he was never a consistent one. There were Guns shows that were showcases of how great he really was. Insane range, control, and power when he's having a good night.

That's the problem, when you see how good he could be on his good nights, it's a real bummer how much he doesn't match up to that standard on a nightly basis either thru wear and tear, or just phoning it in that night.

This show just brings back good memories from that time. First heard Appetite Nov. 1987. Was hooked right away. Then they just got bigger and bigger as the months went on. Finally saw them in Aug. 1988 opening for Aerosmith. Incredible show. By then they were playing really well, in my opinion.

Yes, I agree the Ritz show was kind of sloppy, but I think it showed that there was more to come from these guys.

Slash is an animal on that show.

A sloppy animal.

Rovin you are too good of a poster to let yourself get dragged down to DS's level. His entire gimmick here is to bash slash at every opportunity. Even Axl will tell you that Slash is an amazing guitar player and is greatly responsible for why GnR was so amazing.

Live rock n roll isn't about being technically perfect on every note. It is about raw energy and emotion. There are thousands of guitar players that can "copy" what Slash has created.

VR did better than CD

Anastasia is fantastic. Lots of people love that and several other solo songs.

Most rock publications/websites and journalists put World on Fire on their top ten lists of the year.

And the dude regularly communicates with his fans and puts out music every couple of years.

It isn't a competition but Slash fans have clearly "won" over Axl fans.

Or, of course, you could just bash every thing that slash does and ignore the actual facts.

Ex-fcking-actly.

The need by some to constantly bash Slash is just idiotic.

Rovin do you have links to what shows were heads and tails better than Ritz?

• Like 1

I fucking hate the american idol era. I miss the good ol days when sloppy is part of the good show. Not everything has to be perfect.

Slash was sloppy, Axl wasn't even there for some parts of the songs.. but it was a good show, something you can enjoy over n over. It's not a performance of American Idol, you know, those you can hardly watch only one time.

• Like 2

Considering how many people kept touching Slash's hands and guitar as he was trying to play, it's a wonder he kept going as well as he did. During Mama Kin someone in the audience actually starts turning the knobs on the Les Paul...

I fucking hate the american idol era. I miss the good ol days when sloppy is part of the good show. Not everything has to be perfect.

Slash was sloppy, Axl wasn't even there for some parts of the songs.. but it was a good show, something you can enjoy over n over. It's not a performance of American Idol, you know, those you can hardly watch only one time.

My brother is a huge GN'R fan but doesn't frequent the boards. I end up talking with him about some of the topics over the years just because he knows all the back story.

He and I were talking about exactly your point yesterday. He said "That show is a great example of how "bad" a band can perform and still be amazing at the same time". I totally agree with him on that.

Exactly.

Unfortunately there are a few dickweeds here that do nothing but bash on everything that Slash does. It is weird to see adults act this way, but these guys are hardcore and will defend their mighty Axl at all costs. Hardcore to the core. Smh.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Unfortunately there are a few dickweeds here that do nothing but bash on everything that Slash does. It is weird to see adults act this way, but these guys are hardcore and will defend their mighty Axl at all costs. Hardcore to the core. Smh.

No one here is bashing Slash. People here know what he's capable of which is much more then how he played in the Ritz '88.

Just because you're a fan, doesn't mean you can't be objective. Slash was sloppy that night. This is a fact. I still like the show and it doesn't ruin it for me, but it wasn't one of the best Guns shows ever. Not even of that year imo.

Honestly, I think some people are biased cause we have a good quality video of it. :shrugs:

Exactly.

Nice to see you're showing your true class and calling people "dickweeds" just because their difference of opinion hurts your little feelings.

This is a fantastic show, energetic and they sounded fantastic and IMO tight. Slash may have been "sloppy" but IMO it was the good kind of sloppy. Not the sloppy that is drenched in botched notes, the kind of sloppy that created a sleazy and raw and rocking vibe

Edited by WhazUp

This is a fantastic show, energetic and they sounded fantastic and IMO tight. Slash may have been "sloppy" but IMO it was the good kind of sloppy. Not the sloppy that is drenched in botched notes, the kind of sloppy that created a sleazy and raw and rocking vibe

The best kind of sloppy can never match a focused guitar player that has sufficient amount of control over his instrument which is why the Ritz '88 did not represent fully what Slash could do.

His talent and expressive way of playing carried him on average nights. It's a rock show, I get it, but he proved many times he has the chops to deliver much better shows.

Even when he was sloppy back then, his playing was always soulful and energetic which is the most important element imo, but when you get both, the feel and the accuracy, it becomes ideal and sounds so much better.

Edited by Rovim

Exactly.

Nice to see you're showing your true class and calling people "dickweeds" just because their difference of opinion hurts your little feelings.
That's rich coming from the kid who insults people in 83% of his posts and openly begged for the shtposter of the year award. Funny, I just read a post where you were bashing people who liked Slash's last album. Something about pig vomit and such.

Lol, you take the internet and rock forums way too seriously if you think that opinions from complete strangers actually hurt people's feelings. Nothing you have ever said has hurt my feelings. I think you are a joke that tries way too hard to be clever. What kind of person tries to create a character for a rock forum?

Now you better call me a bunch of names and then get back to insulting slash and everything he does and insulting all Slash fans. You are hardcore!!!

Exactly.

No one here is bashing Slash. People here know what he's capable of which is much more then how he played in the Ritz '88.

Just because you're a fan, doesn't mean you can't be objective. Slash was sloppy that night. This is a fact. I still like the show and it doesn't ruin it for me, but it wasn't one of the best Guns shows ever. Not even of that year imo.

Honestly, I think some people are biased cause we have a good quality video of it. :shrugs:

A couple people are bashing Slash, so you are wrong about that. But on this forum that's to be expected.

But anyway, more importantly, can you point us in the direction of shows that GnR were better than they were at this show. You said shows from the same year, can you please give examples. Thanks In advance.

A couple people are bashing Slash, so you are wrong about that. But on this forum that's to be expected.

But anyway, more importantly, can you point us in the direction of shows that GnR were better than they were at this show. You said shows from the same year, can you please give examples. Thanks In advance.

These are just a few examples. I think I've watched or listened to most 1988 shows, but there are many, many examples of better shows from 1988.

He wasn't as technically good then compared to just a few years later, but he didn't fuck up as badly as the Ritz at least. Check this out:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2