Rock in Rio 2011 Axl Rose maybe not such a disaster comparing to this

Axl's singing on WTTJ and it's so easy in Vegas with duff was fucking incredible, full of rasp and power. No point going all out for a couple of songs though and doing a half-job on the other 20+ songs, thats where his weight comes in. As for motley, they don't even deserve our attention on a GNR site, can't stand them. I do like the women in their 2015 live performances though, I must say

tommy Lee is one of the best drummers in hard rock tho and Mick mars a hell of a guitarist

Axl has been an embarrassment since 2011. There were few exceptions where he showed the great singer he once was but that doesn't change the fact that his voice is pretty much gone -- which is understandable considering how old he is. ...

I mostly agree with you, but I think we often put too much weight on Axl's age. Dude's only 53. If he wanted it, he'd have another 10+ years. He's still young, and nowhere near as old as guys that did it before him. Best example is Steven Tyler, but Dan McCafferty of Nazareth was a really apt comparison, too.

Axl could/can still do it, at least I think so. Whether I think he will or not is another matter.

Edited by smoke

I think we often put too much weight on Axl's age. Dude's only 53. If he wanted it, he'd have another 10+ years. He's still young, and nowhere near as old as guys that did it before him. Best example is Steven Tyler, but Dan McCafferty of Nazareth was a really apt comparison, too.

Axl could/can still do it, at least I think so. Whether I think he will or not is another matter.

You're completely right. Axl is still young. He just looks and sounds way older because he's out of shape and his voice is very weak, specially compared to those singers you mentioned.

Axl fans will always find something to blame: his age, the weather, lawsuits, Salsh, the internet, Youtube but truth is the only one to blame is Axl himself.

Edited by maynard
  • Like 1

A shitty Vince Neil gig doesn't magically make a shitty Axl gig better. I think Axl at least tries when he's on stage. Vince Neil obviously stopped trying a long time ago. I wouldn't pay to see either but was never a fan of Crüe to begin with.

Axl has been an embarrassment since 2011. There were few exceptions where he showed the great singer he once was but that doesn't change the fact that his voice is pretty much gone -- which is understandable considering how old he is. ...

I mostly agree with you, but I think we often put too much weight on Axl's age. Dude's only 53. If he wanted it, he'd have another 10+ years. He's still young, and nowhere near as old as guys that did it before him. Best example is Steven Tyler, but Dan McCafferty of Nazareth was a really apt comparison, too.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I'm not saying that Axl's age is an excuse for him to be a complete sad joke on stage. I'm saying that it could be one of the issues. In 2006 and 2010 which are considered his best years since REAL Gn'R broke up, he sounded great, but he didn't sound as good as he sounded in 1993. There's a difference between the voices, which was acceptable considering he aged.

If Axl is truly having vocal issues, fans would understand that. Fans are not obligated to understand why he's all fat, overweight, out of breath on stage, though -- unless they're sad, blind, fanatics.

• Like 2

I love Motley Crüe albums. At least before their last three.

They never rehashed the prior album. The band experimented with different sounds each time. You have to respect that.

But I would never pay money to see them live. Vince has always been subpar.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I'm not saying that Axl's age is an excuse for him to be a complete sad joke on stage. I'm saying that it could be one of the issues. In 2006 and 2010 which are considered his best years since REAL Gn'R broke up, he sounded great, but he didn't sound as good as he sounded in 1993. There's a difference between the voices, which was acceptable considering he aged.

If Axl is truly having vocal issues, fans would understand that. Fans are not obligated to understand why he's all fat, overweight, out of breath on stage, though -- unless they're sad, blind, fanatics.

IMHO Axl sounded better in 2006 after he got a few shows under his belt. The best I have ever heard him sing was in late 87 no a whole lot of rasp but the power was there.

After the 87 show heard is how I rank the shows I attended.

1. 87 really 87 and 06 is very close to a tie

2. 06

3. 88 to much rasp early 88

4. 91 way to much rasp

5. 88 way to much rasp late 88

6. 92 again way to much rasp

I really don't like when he signs with rasp that is heard in every word, but yes rasp has it spots in songs but to hear it for the full song is not really singing it gets to point it is screaming and not singing

IMHO Axl sounded better in 2006 after he got a few shows under his belt. The best I have ever heard him sing was in late 87 no a whole lot of rasp but the power was there.

2. 06

4. 91 way to much rasp

I really don't like when he signs with rasp that is heard in every word, but yes rasp has it spots in songs but to hear it for the full song is not really singing it gets to point it is screaming and not singing

We need to invent a scale for measuring Axl's singing: ''raspometer'' - you can credit me later. Something like,

(100% Mickey Mouse) 2002------------2011-14--------1985-88--------2006-07---------1991-3 (100% Rasp)

Bold the preferred.

• Like 1

Jagger doesn't have Axl's range.

Axl isn't consistent that's for sure.

Ive seen Jagger and Brian recently and they arent much better than Axl live. They have no range either so its tough to compare. If they want join GNR and sing that set I'd be on board.

• Like 1

Never seen that before. Completely awful, but better than Axl's atrocious 2011 performance.

You must be trolling

You must be mentally incapable of understanding that those are my genuine thoughts. Axl Rose was an embarrassment and a sad joke in Rio 2011. If you don't consider it to be that way, that's cool. Nobody is going to point a gun at you for that. ;)

C'mon Nosaj, really? Axl was awful that but, but these performances of Crue are better than Axl at RiR 2011? I don't think so.

Never seen that before. Completely awful, but better than Axl's atrocious 2011 performance.

You must be trolling

You must be mentally incapable of understanding that those are my genuine thoughts. Axl Rose was an embarrassment and a sad joke in Rio 2011. If you don't consider it to be that way, that's cool. Nobody is going to point a gun at you for that. ;)

C'mon Nosaj, really? Axl was awful that but, but these performances of Crue are better than Axl at RiR 2011? I don't think so.

Not sure when I said that people should think like me. You're free to disagree.

To me, Axl was completely awful, an embarrassment of an immeasurable caliber and no amount of Crue sucking donkey balls will change that. :shrugs:

2. 06

4. 91 way to much rasp

In my humble opinion, I think after 87-88 the best he has sounded is 1993.

Lol motle crue

Saw them years ago just to say i did. It was ok, not memorable in any way

The thing is, their shows used to at least be fun even if the band wasn't great. Now even the shows are boring. The last Crue show I saw that I really enjoyed was Cruefest 2, when they did the whole Dr. Feelgood album.

Can we list how many 70 year old are still going strong like Mick Jagger?

I mean, yes he's impressive but he's not the rule.

Not going to deny that Axl isn't in the best condition - but his singing is also quite different than what Mick's requires so I can understand the downgrading.

Can we list how many 70 year old are still going strong like Mick Jagger?

I mean, yes he's impressive but he's not the rule.

Not going to deny that Axl isn't in the best condition - but his singing is also quite different than what Mick's requires so I can understand the downgrading.

steven tyler or Bruce dickinson are better to compare with axl as they sing with the same requirements of power their songs call for and they can still deliver above average performances almost every show where Axl can't or won't at this period of the past 4 years with some high shots here and there when ge felt like it