Ron Thal: Whatever I Say On GN'R Is Distorted By The Media

He was acting like he didn't need the gig when he was in GNR. Everyone knows that GNR is his greatest medal in the music biz, which is a shame cos he's really talented.

I think he thought that everything will be alright with that band with Weiland, like he'll be touring the world and shit. Poor Ron.

I agree that he was acting like he didn't need the gig. In fact, in my opinion, he was acting like his employment with Axl was actually holding him back from his own remarkable, incredible solo career.

And I disagree wholeheartedly that he's really talented. Sure, he can play a million miles an hour, but I'd rather hear three really well-placed notes than the sloppy, slippery mess he shat all over the Shacklers solo, for example.

• Like 3

Its amazing to read this thread.

The way some of you act towards past members of this band is just extraordinary. People begged for years that this was a legitimate lineup, and once Ron left everyone shit all over him. Mainly for not being straightforward. Have you ever stopped to think you have no idea what Axl and TB are making him not say? Clearly its something, and clearly he hates it as much as us. But its what he has to deal with for joining this fucked up trainwreck excuse for a band, which you all defend.

I wish I could pull quotes from these people saying how sick they are of Ron that loved Ron just 3 years ago. No one in this band was ever that good, and we see it every time that member leaves. I can't believe the people that put stock into these lineups.

This. I mean, do the words non-disclosure agreement mean anything to anyone? We know the band members sign NDAs. We know that Ron in the past has come out and said that he has been asked not to discuss certain things. We also know that other former band members have kept their mouths shut. NDAs are a serious thing, and if a band member were to breach one, they'd likely be sued out of existence.

And Ashba? He hasn't given any insider secrets or disclosed exactly why he left either. I don't ever recall hearing anything about the inner workings of the band from him. He made a very gracious, diplomatic statement about moving on, which is what you say when you don't want to burn bridges or start a flame war. The difference between Ashba and Ron in this respect is that Ashba is more media and marketing savvy and knows how to sugar up whatever he says.

So all of this nastiness about how Ron equivocates is uncalled for IMHO. In this interview he didn't deny that he was no longer in the band. He just didn't want to talk about why he didn't say something about it sooner, and he might not be at liberty to say that.

He might actually be on retainer with the band still. As a backup plan on Axl's part so he can get back to touring with New GNR in case the reunion plans with Slash end up falling through. If that were the case, he'd obviously be under instructions not to explain the situation, because it would spoil the surprise and the hype they're trying to build about the reunion plans.

And maybe this whole reunion is being put together because the label only agreed to release Axl's next albums if he went through with the reunion tour. Maybe.

It's not even the media that distorts it. It's the fans.

We'll get an article or interview on GN'R and fans with over react and distort what it says into what they want to hear

Exactly. Spot on.

He tired all the fans of the band with saying nothing at all,take your footguitar and go play gnr tribute songs to make some noise.

Sometimes posts on here make me embarrassed to be a forum member and GnR fan.

'i used to respect Ron, he used to be so cool with the fans, whys he acting like this?'

For all the good being cool with the fans done him, he was called a pussy, 'not right' for GnR, soft, boring, didn't fit the bad boy image, well here you go, he's being a bad boy now, he's being 'rock n roll', not giving straight answers (even though you've already fuckin' had one), this is what you wanted right, a little dose of Axlian 'rock n roll behaviour', enjoy ;)

• Like 3

is it possible to interview a Nintendo?

That would be the same in guitar playing quality/musicianship and the benefit would be less annoying bullshit in the interviews as "answers"

'i used to respect Ron, he used to be so cool with the fans, whys he acting like this?'

For all the good being cool with the fans done him, he was called a pussy, 'not right' for GnR, soft, boring, didn't fit the bad boy image, well here you go, he's being a bad boy now, he's being 'rock n roll', not giving straight answers (even though you've already fuckin' had one), this is what you wanted right, a little dose of Axlian 'rock n roll behaviour', enjoy ;)

good point Len

Lol. Everybody on here hates the music media and says how they distort everything involved with Axl.

But then Ron says it and people freak out and call him names?

Some of you really do change your opinions on whether or not Axl is involved.

If Axl came out and said he doesn't do media because they distort everything he says, the same people bashing Rom right now would be praising Axl for speaking the truth.

Too funny.

The guy always came off as a whiny bitch

I agree. I mostly liked what he brought to the band but all the whining I definitely could have done without. But NUGNR seemed to cultivate that kind of whiny attitude so which came first, the chicken or the whiny guitar player I mean egg.

Considering the guy went on tour and did full shows with some fairly serious and painful injuries, I'd hardly call him a whiny bitch. Many players wouldn't even have gotten onstage in that condition.

But he can't win. When he was open about his grievances about the band, he was called names. When he's declined to talk about his grievances with the band, he's still called names. When TB tells him not to talk about something and he complies, he's the bad guy. He mentions GnR in his solo tours, so he's riding on their coattails. If he didn't mention them, I am sure it would be considered a snub. No way to please the fans with this one, is there?

Edited by stella

That's my thing. Some guys like ashba would just optimistically bullshit and Ron always seemed to speak the truth and some of the comments he made suggested that he almost didn't give a shit. Some of the stuff he said made me think he'd be fired. And I think even rons admitted he's had issues with axl...

I don't understand why he can't just say "I'm done with guns n roses. No further comment". That alone would get rid of the madness

He is on a swing... Highs and Lows.

The guy always came off as a whiny bitch

I agree. I mostly liked what he brought to the band but all the whining I definitely could have done without. But NUGNR seemed to cultivate that kind of whiny attitude so which came first, the chicken or the whiny guitar player I mean egg.

I used use that Avatar about a decade ago. :thumbsup:

He might actually be on retainer with the band still. As a backup plan on Axl's part so he can get back to touring with New GNR in case the reunion plans with Slash end up falling through. If that were the case, he'd obviously be under instructions not to explain the situation, because it would spoil the surprise and the hype they're trying to build about the reunion plans.

I think your right... OR he could tour with the reunion lineup but can't comment because of what's going on behind the scenes.

I also think bumble was hoping to be able to make a name for himself with AOA but weilands comments and lack of support killed that project, which sucks because its a solid album and Ron is really talented.

I think your right... OR he could tour with the reunion lineup but can't comment because of what's going on behind the scenes.

I also think bumble was hoping to be able to make a name for himself with AOA but weilands comments and lack of support killed that project, which sucks because its a solid album and Ron is really talented.

I could easily believe that something is still happening behind the scenes. I honestly don't think Ron goes through his life thinking "well, let's see how vague I can be today so I can piss off the fans." There's a reason he's not said more, and he can't share what that is.

I could also easily believe that even if Ron was determined to leave after the last Vegas run, things might have changed. TB/Axl might have negotiated to get him back. They still might be trying, especially since they're down to 0 guitarists now, what with Fortus's injury. Reunion or not, they might need Ron. And given all the secrecy about what is going on with the band right now it makes perfect sense that Ron can't disclose what exactly is up.

Considering the guy went on tour and did full shows with some fairly serious and painful injuries, I'd hardly call him a whiny bitch. Many players wouldn't even have gotten onstage in that condition.

But he can't win. When he was open about his grievances about the band, he was called names. When he's declined to talk about his grievances with the band, he's still called names. When TB tells him not to talk about something and he complies, he's the bad guy. He mentions GnR in his solo tours, so he's riding on their coattails. If he didn't mention them, I am sure it would be considered a snub. No way to please the fans with this one, is there?

Great post.

People on this forum just love to hate.

My thing is this: How could someone possibly distort "I'm not in GN'R any longer"

My guess is that GnR is still paying him on a retainer. If Izzy doesn't join the tour then GnR still needs a guitar player.

At that point Ron could tour with the band and make a bundle of cash. If Izzy wants to join or the band decides to go with just two guitar players - then Ron will get his official walking papers.

So my amateur guess would be GnR is paying Ron to keep his status unknown and to be ready to tour if needed.