Are Axl's "no shows" exagerrated?

In Glasgow 2006 when I was 16, (it was probably the first decent sized gig I'd been to) he was on 2 hours after the last band played, and it was shit standing there waiting near the front, aching legs n back, fuckin' roasting with the heat of the crowd, dying of thirst, the crowd constantly having these massive surges where you're barely touching the ground and praying you're not gonna go under, and not knowing whether he's actually coming on at some point.

EVENTUALLY, those WTTJ notes kicked in and there's Axl standing just a few feet away looking cool as fuck, braids n shades, leaning back, screaming into the mic as the music builds. Then the main riff kicked in n everything got worse!

You couldn't breathe, you couldnt stand, or jump, or do anything, you were just getting crushed, listening to the crowd covering Guns N' Roses tunes. I lost my mate within seconds. It turned out we both lasted 3 songs at the front, until he got carried out and I somehow managed to get back through the surge, then we met up n watched from afar. I remember when I was walking back, Axl's telling everyone to calm down n take a step back cause it was just mental.

Ok, that's not all down to the fact that he was late on stage, but that certainly added to a shite experience, that should've been a great one, cause they were actually good in 2006! Those few seconds of seeing Axl up close though was one of the best things I've seen at a gig.

I've been to loads of gigs with rowdy crowds (been to Download 4 times) but it's never been as bad as that GNR gig. And just before GNR came on there was a guy with two young kids and a heavily pregnant woman beside us! Fuck knows what happened to them.

My mate told me... As he was being lifted over the crowd his shoe was slipping off and to get it back on he pushed his foot into someones face hahaha that always makes me chuckle.

Edited by MrShankly
  • Like 1

In 91 I thought that's why the show was delayed. Every time the PA louder there was this surge and people were going over the barriers. They were asking us to take two steps back. I was at the front because I was in the Slave to the Grind mosh thing. But after a while my legs got tired so I dropped back. There these travellers wearing army fatigues using their comatose friend as a battering ram to get the front. But amyway I thought it was the crush that delayed the show not that Axl was getting massage back at the hotel watching Bill n Ted's. Enter Sandman was epic on the PA. chicks were getting their tits out on big screen. It wasn't all bad. But it was hot and I gave up on beer. But when they hit the stage playing Perfect Crime you couldn't say it wasn't incredible. I couldn't actually believe they could play that amazing. Look that cool doing it. Holy shit.

• Like 1

Many people work hard, they have kids to feed, complaining wives etc etc. Those people save money to buy a ticket for their favorite artist which is Axl Rose in this case. Money doesn't grows on trees.

Many people travel from another city by bus/plane/car.

If Axl shows 3 hours late and the last train leaves at 12.30 am, then the person has to wait for 5 to 6 hours to catch the first train in the morning. IT IS NOT FAIR.

A Fan as every right to Bash Axl in this case.

They have the right to be pissed off... but it's to be expected. As they said, it's part of the package. If you can't risk the 3 hour bs, then it's better if you don't go.

Just read what Russ said, he said it in a better way.

He may come to the stage a little later than most performers but he always gives 110 percent. So it's so totally worth it.

Lol

Which Axl are you talking about?

I loved all the shows I saw. And giving 110 percent is a metaphor for somebody who puts their heart and soul into a performance!! Even at the BrooklynBowl when he had to cut the show short due to illness it was an unforgettable night!

M

He may come to the stage a little later than most performers but he always gives 110 percent. So it's so totally worth it.

Lol

Which Axl are you talking about?

I loved all the shows I saw. And giving 110 percent is a metaphor for somebody who puts their heart and soul into a performance!! Even at the BrooklynBowl when he had to cut the show short due to illness it was an unforgettable night!

M

Being late gives Axl more mystique, more rock star cred. Its his calling card- like Pete's windmill or MJ's glove. I'll be disappointed it he doesn't no-show at least one show on a reunion tour.

Occasionally I entertain wild ideas. Let's just imagine Slash is actually returning to the fold, how long do you think he would last if Axl returns to his ways of not showing up on stage on time? How baaad does Slash want this gig?

Edited by SoulMonster

In Glasgow 2006 when I was 16, (it was probably the first decent sized gig I'd been to) he was on 2 hours after the last band played, and it was shit standing there waiting near the front, aching legs n back, fuckin' roasting with the heat of the crowd, dying of thirst, the crowd constantly having these massive surges where you're barely touching the ground and praying you're not gonna go under, and not knowing whether he's actually coming on at some point.

EVENTUALLY, those WTTJ notes kicked in and there's Axl standing just a few feet away looking cool as fuck, braids n shades, leaning back, screaming into the mic as the music builds. Then the main riff kicked in n everything got worse!

You couldn't breathe, you couldnt stand, or jump, or do anything, you were just getting crushed, listening to the crowd covering Guns N' Roses tunes. I lost my mate within seconds. It turned out we both lasted 3 songs at the front, until he got carried out and I somehow managed to get back through the surge, then we met up n watched from afar. I remember when I was walking back, Axl's telling everyone to calm down n take a step back cause it was just mental.

Ok, that's not all down to the fact that he was late on stage, but that certainly added to a shite experience, that should've been a great one, cause they were actually good in 2006! Those few seconds of seeing Axl up close though was one of the best things I've seen at a gig.

I've been to loads of gigs with rowdy crowds (been to Download 4 times) but it's never been as bad as that GNR gig. And just before GNR came on there was a guy with two young kids and a heavily pregnant woman beside us! Fuck knows what happened to them.

My mate told me... As he was being lifted over the crowd his shoe was slipping off and to get it back on he pushed his foot into someones face hahaha that always makes me chuckle.

Great read,I had to walk home with one shoe cos i lost the other one in a White Stripes concert while they were doing Boll Weevil, just at the end. Keeping your position on the front is hard work and sacrifice, but it's worth it(unless it's this

) .

Many people work hard, they have kids to feed, complaining wives etc etc. Those people save money to buy a ticket for their favorite artist which is Axl Rose in this case. Money doesn't grows on trees.

If Axl shows 3 hours late and the last train leaves at 12.30 am, then the person has to wait for 5 to 6 hours to catch the first train in the morning. IT IS NOT FAIR.

They have the right to be pissed off... but it's to be expected. As they said, it's part of the package. If you can't risk the 3 hour bs, then it's better if you don't go.

this, i expect them to be late as possible, i love the ritual thing going on.

I can get the complaints about the late starts to an extent. Now that they ticket the shows to start at 9 or 10 as opposed to 6 or 7, you absolutely know what you're getting yourself into.

The cancelled shows are blown way out of proportion though. I actually read a comment on Facebook today where someone said they've had tickets to see GN'R 5 different times, and every single one was cancelled. Without doing a massive amount of traveling, there is no way someone could have tickets to 5 different shows that got cancelled. It's not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

When was the last cancelled show anyways, Albany 2011 I think? And that one was the promoter pulled the plug on it a few days in advance.

To elaborate on my earlier post:

I've been able to work my schedule around GN'R shows pretty much every time they tour, so I think that's one of the reasons I've never had complaints with the late starts. I also live in a place where I don't have to rely on mass transit in any way, so I've never been stuck due to trains stopping for the night or anything.

Having said that, many many other people aren't in my position and even if they were it doesn't make the shit Axl pulled right. There's nothing "rock & roll" about not giving a shit about your fans. And no, a good/great performance doesn't excuse it either. You paid to see a good/great performance, so you're owed that when you pay Axl, not if/when the spirit moves him to live up to his end of the bargain.

So again, there's no way to exaggerate something like that. Was he on time a lot more in the past several years? Yes but again, that doesn't erase the past track record.

Right on the money with this.

I can get the complaints about the late starts to an extent. Now that they ticket the shows to start at 9 or 10 as opposed to 6 or 7, you absolutely know what you're getting yourself into.

ITA, if they ticket the shows with an accurate starting time, it's all good. If Axl wants to take the stage at midnight and they let people know that's what's going to happen, everyone can decide for themselves if it's something they can or want to do.

They did that at the Wiltern show a few years ago, and it worked out fine. The ticket said 9pm and the Wiltern posted more specific set times on Facebook, so people knew what to expect and when to show up.

I seriously don't get how the hell can some of you defend Axl in this case.

Not everyone going to see him knows about his late starts, 80% of the people who usually go don't know about the actual band and know about the music and they go there to enjoy the music, so if the show is at 8pm, then max. it should start by 9pm, not at 12am.

• Like 1

I seriously don't get how the hell can some of you defend Axl in this case.

Not everyone going to see him knows about his late starts, 80% of the people who usually go don't know about the actual band and know about the music and they go there to enjoy the music, so if the show is at 8pm, then max. it should start by 9pm, not at 12am.

Cue the Del James "Whatever happened to Rock N' Roll" tirade. :lol:

I went to two shows in 2011, and the openers (Loaded, at those shows) didn't start until 9:00. Axl hit the stage about 45 minutes after Loaded ended on both nights, which was pretty reasonable I thought.

If a ticket says 8:00, do people really expect Axl at 8:00? If I see that start time I'd think to myself "great, 3 fucking opening bands..." :lol:

• Like 1

You can bet Axl's progress with his timeliness is directly proportional to his need for money.

He's not at the point anymore where he can piss away hundreds of thousands in revenue on late fees, overtime, reduced ticket sales, etc.

So if he wants to get paid, he better improve his start times. And he knows it.

• Like 1

Some people here are fucking insane.

Honestly if some of you people were viciously raped by Axl Rose you'd send him a Valentine Card in return.

Late starts from a pampered millionaire who has one job to do that day has so many "fuck you"s in it, they warrant listing.

• Tired and bored despite spending lots of $$ to be here? - fuck you
  • Need to catch a bus or train? - fuck you
  • Need to pay a baby sitter? - fuck you
  • Need to get kids to school tomorrow? - fuck you
  • Dangerous walk home at this late hour? - fuck you
  • Work tomorrow? - fuck you
  • Hit by missiles meant for the empty stage? - fuck you
  • Working at the venue on minimum wage with no overtime? - fuck you
  • Dangerous roadie work to do after a 20 hour day that's not your fault? - fuck you
  • Truck to drive to the next venue now 5 hours late and you're exhausted? - fuck you
  • Stage to be set up and now late so will have even less time to rest? - fuck you
  • Tired, angry bored band? - fuck you guys!

That's just some of them...for fuck's sake people Justin Beiber is the latest star to start this shit. Justin fucking Beiber....that's the kind of ego you need to care so little for so many that you'll do this shit without reservation. Our man keeps some very shitty company in this regard.

So many of you have swallowed the spin from Axl & his hangers on about his nerves, wanting to do great shows etc...any old shit to stop admitting that the man thinks whatever his needs, no matter how minor or whimsical...supersede all of the harsh realities his actions will visit upon those who are his biggest supporters (band, roadcrew & fans).

I'll leave it at this..would Springsteen, U2, Metallica or the Foos pull such shit on their support network?

NEVER.

I am very thankful that there are some posters on here who have been blessed with common sense.

Finding ways to justify Axl's lateness.....it really is mindboggling.

Loving Axl the singer doesn't mean you have to praise and justify everything he does.

There is NO same and rational way to give him a free pass. Just because somebody has always done something is no excuse for people accepting it.

It's like Axl is the only person in the world who we aren't allowed to hold accountable for his own actions. It's really quite weird. Even on a GnR forum.

Rovim's posts are more and more on the same level as wasted's :facepalm:

What is the perfect night?

Seeing the band you wanna hear on time and have nothing to complain about or waiting 3 hours -probably in the rain or in the cold- to see the same show.

Everybody who's saying the waiting is better is lying to himself. Pull your head out of Axl's ass. A brain needs fresh air sometimes.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

This is why I don't bother anymore.

Occasionally I entertain wild ideas. Let's just imagine Slash is actually returning to the fold, how long do you think he would last if Axl returns to his ways of not showing up on stage on time? How baaad does Slash want this gig?

Guaranteed that will be dealt with via contractual penalties to be honoured by Axl.

And they will hurt enough that he won't do it.

I think it's possible from the Guns shows Duff was involved in, that he told Slash Axl isn't as late as he used to be, and so far, in recent years, he's not causing any riots and no more no shows.

It's more professional (like the set list)

Maybe that will or did appeal to Slash if something like that took place. Perhaps it won't break the deal, if there is one.