What type of vocal performance do you expect from Axl?

I've watched a few '02 tour vids as of late and while he was singing super clean/Mickey, he did have a fair amount of power and control. I'd take that and occasional rasp over wretched caterwauling. Maybe, for once, they can turn him up in the mix.

I accidentally played a 02 version of Jungle the other day off my hard drive. I noticed the exact same thing you're saying. 90% of the song was in the super high/clean tone, but he at least had power and control. I know everyone loves 2010, but for me the best he sounded consistantly was 2006, so that's what I'm hoping for.

• Like 2

I've watched a few '02 tour vids as of late and while he was singing super clean/Mickey, he did have a fair amount of power and control. I'd take that and occasional rasp over wretched caterwauling. Maybe, for once, they can turn him up in the mix.

I accidentally played a 02 version of Jungle the other day off my hard drive. I noticed the exact same thing you're saying. 90% of the song was in the super high/clean tone, but he at least had power and control. I know everyone loves 2010, but for me the best he sounded consistantly was 2006, so that's what I'm hoping for.

I don't mind a couple of the later 2002 concerts (Boston comes to mind - it helps that we have such a clean soundboard of it), but unfortunately the 2002 version of Jungle that's forever stuck in my head is the VMAs one. :lol:

• Like 1

Really unpopular opinion here. Axl sounded better in '06 than on some UYI tour dates

It is, but I agree. He was a much better all round singer in 06. His tone wasn't as harsh, his range was bigger, and he was more dynamic.

Really unpopular opinion here. Axl sounded better in '06 than on some UYI tour dates

It is, but I agree. He was a much better all round singer in 06. His tone wasn't as harsh, his range was bigger, and he was more dynamic.

I agree as well. 1991 was a very harsh voice. It worked great for the intensity of stuff like Perfect Crime but sounded pretty horrendous on other songs. 1992 was better - more controlled if not a bit thinner, but closer to how he sounded on the actual UYI albums. 1993 was like some hybrid of 1988 Axl and 1992 Axl. He truly sounded great in 1993.

By the end of 2006 he was killing it. Great tone, controlled rasp, and lots of power behind those notes. His tonality has seemingly found a comfort zone because he sounds similar in both later 2006 shows and the Canadian 2010 shows compared to say 1988 and 1991 where his tonality changed big time.

I know the rumors about surgery where never verified, but something happenned. The vocal change from 93 to when I heard him in 2002 was quite dramatic. After he disappeared again, he comes back sounding fantastic in 2006. Could he have had something done to repair his vocal cords. I wonder if he could have damaged them again after 2010 and the reason he sounded worse after 2011. He's been MIA again for almost 2 years. I have no idea how he will sound, but I'm hoping the rest and maybe some practice will get him back to a better stronger voice.

I think some of the 2006 shows were amazing, but a lot of them were also in a very clean voice. There was a shitload of power in a lot of shows though, but some of them mirrored the first 4 shows of the tour. Good, but you didn't get YCBM like in 2010. At least some songs and a lot of 2010 shows sound much better to me when I actually go back and listen to them.

I'd be satisfied with 2006 level or 2010 of course. I truly believe he's still capable of delivering great shows in his age, but a lot of it depends on him giving a fuck, being into it.

When Duff played a few shows with him again he was more pumped. I'm hoping Slash and Duff and hopefully others from the old line up will get him excited and he'll want to prove to them he still got it but it can go either way since he's lazy.

Edited by Rovim

I think some of the 2006 shows were amazing, but a lot of them were also in a very clean voice. There was a shitload of power in a lot of shows though, but some of them mirrored the first 4 shows of the tour. Good, but you didn't get YCBM like in 2010. At least some songs and a lot of 2010 shows sound much better to me when I actually go back and listen to them.

I'd be satisfied with 2006 level or 2010 of course. I truly believe he's still capable of delivering great shows in his age, but a lot of it depends on him giving a fuck, being into it.

When Duff played a few shows with him again he was more pumped. I'm hoping Slash and Duff and hopefully others from the old line up will get him excited and he'll want to prove to them he still got it but it can go either way since he's lazy.

Duff was at the Golden Gods event and Axl sang with the FULL mickey.

Edited by sonofnazareth

Love 2006 but 2010 was special.

Nineties power and attitude!

4:10 I can' believe we don't have official DVD from that period.

I love how he sings "of those that take you" part in this performance. Had a lot of heart overall as well. Fortus having a blast.

2006 was awesome! How dare you

2006 was awesome! How dare you

It surely was. Nightrain Rock Am Ring for example was outstanding. I think I just prefer the more consistent in quality 2010. And Axl sang Nightrain in 2009 so high, it was crazy. He sang it twice I think like in Live Era, and the London shows were lunacy.

I just hope we'll get even 80% of that quality. 2006 or 2010. It doesn't matter. With that kind of singing and Slash and Duff it could be respectable or above.

I love how he sings "of those that take you" part in this performance. Had a lot of heart overall as well. Fortus having a blast.

It will be nice to hear slash's extended solo during the end of Rocket Queen again. the "dont ever leave me" part.

It will be nice to hear slash's extended solo during the end of Rocket Queen again. the "dont ever leave me" part.

What are you doing? Slash's camp people like Slash2baz might be reading and reporting back how someone wants to extend a solo in Rocket Queen. I love the way he noodles, but he cannot noodle for 35 min straight on the reunion shows. Keep that shit out of it. Axl will fall asleep or order a pizza. You're not supposed to say you went to a show, took a hearty shit in the middle of it during Rocket Queen and never missed a beat.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Axl sounded great there.. Not sure how I felt about Fortuses contributions during the verses though..

I would love to hear Slash jam out in the middle of Rocket Queen with Duff.. Every time I saw him with his band, that was the highlight of the show.. Doesn't have to be 20 minutes but 10 minutes is cool..

I'd actually rather that than the Godfather.. Bored with that one.. Maybe he can come up with something new and bad ass... But it seems like Slash has historically came up with new ideas throughout the tour and they grow into what they are, not the first show..

Edited by Tom-Ass

Re watching the 2012 o2 proshot for the first time in ages, and he sounds really good I think. Much better than Appetite for Democracy

I'd gladly take vocals like that

That was on TV last week and I watched it just to see how Axl sounded... Never cared about before.. I don't know if I would say he sounded really good, but from the songs I saw I thought he sounded good enough for this to work and be a success.

Long time lurker here.

I've been fortunate/unfortunate enough to see Axl perform on both ends of the spectrum. As others have said in the moment I thought he sounded incredible- afterwards not so much, but with guns it's about the atmosphere and even in his weaker performances he often pulls something special out of the bag and glimpses of Axl past come through.

For many reasons I hope he sounds as good as he possibly can and show the critics why after all these years we're still as devoted as ever.

I'm thinking/hoping having some of the original members by his side will ignite something. Whatever, as a long time fan, it's going to be special one way or the other.

I was just watching some 90s videos and ugh... I shouldn't be allowed to do that.

There's no way he sounds like that and its a fools dream to think he will. Be in that shape, have that same kind of vocal endurance. I'm really hoping Slash and Duff being back takes more of the focus off his singing. Cause since I never really cared about the other members of NuGuns, I only listened to the voice. I'm hoping Slash and Duff's without question great playing will even out Axl's vocal expectations. Axl doesn't have to sound amazing, but he also can't show up completely unprepared, and I feel I can give him solid credit if he's in between those two now that there are other original members to focus on.

I was just watching some 90s videos and ugh... I shouldn't be allowed to do that.

There's no way he sounds like that and its a fools dream to think he will. Be in that shape, have that same kind of vocal endurance. I'm really hoping Slash and Duff being back takes more of the focus off his singing. Cause since I never really cared about the other members of NuGuns, I only listened to the voice. I'm hoping Slash and Duff's without question great playing will even out Axl's vocal expectations. Axl doesn't have to sound amazing, but he also can't show up completely unprepared, and I feel I can give him solid credit if he's in between those two now that there are other original members to focus on.

It's reasonable to think a halfass/bad vocal will ruin the shows. I mean, the singer is a huge focus of songs no matter what. It has to be good.

This actually is the number one thing that is preventing me from buying a $500 lower level ticket for the first Vegas show. I'm veery concerned about Axls ability to perform these songs and sing them as he used to. In fact, I concede that is probably impossible for him to do at this age. However, what will ruin this is of he shows up and Mickey comes out. I surely hope that isn't the case though.