06/23/16 - Detroit - Ford Field (More Pre-Party Info, Pg 10)

downzy

Anyone have a photo of the hug from early in the show? Think I saw it get mentioned on here among the first few songs, possibly after LALD? I know folks said Axl and Slash hugged and the place went off, I'd love to see either a photo or video of that.

7 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

thanks for sending but i got an error code :( dancing a little or a lot?? i was dancing at home watching it on periscope :P

I'm not sure why it's not working, I'm using my phone so maybe that's why. But dancing a lot haha, not sure the people around me liked me much. The one complaint I have from the night is the crowd, or at least the people in my section, could have been a lot more into it.

IMG_6210.MOV

Edited by aubrey1111
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Anyone have a photo of the hug from early in the show? Think I saw it get mentioned on here among the first few songs, possibly after LALD? I know folks said Axl and Slash hugged and the place went off, I'd love to see either a photo or video of that.

hug? you mean when Axl leaned on Slash?

17 minutes ago, James Bond said:

When I saw Slash in 2012 he busted a string right ahead of the SCOM solo, so what followed was a mostly improvised but pretty cool rendition of the solo. He's good at that sort of off the cuff stuff. I actually don't mind when stuff like that happens!

You know Slash is really into a song when he breaks a string!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

went to Vegas but IF i can swing it i want to go to the San Francisco show! :)

Oh awesome, didn't realise you went to Vegas! I want to go the Dodgers Stadium show, I keep chipping away at my other half to let me go, but I don't think I could handle being away from my kids for so long tbh. I need some patience :lol:

27 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Still all speculation and the few things you mention that only very lightly support the idea that the next album wont be mostly vault material are very small next to everything from the last 14 years that says it will. 

I agree, it wont be called Chinese 2, that would be ridiculous. Nobody has ever suggested it would. It's just the thing that makes the most sense to call it because Axl thinks of the next record as being THE SECOND HALF OF CHINESE. To use your own type of language and sentiment, you need to get over the likelihood that the China Exchange interview suggests nothing has changed Axl's feeling in this regard, despite the setlists etc. 

You offer guarantees and state that a new album wont be the second half of Chinese. Are you Constanzo? Or maybe friends with Axl's girlfriend or something? Has Fernando told you something via PM that nobody else knows about?

I hope Finck and Bucket are all over a healthy portion of the next record and that songs from the last 15 years take up a good chunk of the set of the tour that supports it. 

This is going to be the last I say about a new album in this thread because the conversation doesn't belong here and it's disrupting an otherwise mostly positive thread about the show.

I guess people will read what they want into the China Exchange interview.  A nuguns fan will take Axl saying he had Slash and Duff listen to some of his material and saying they liked it as "Chinese Democracy 2 coming out" where as a more realistic fan of the band will view it for exactly what it is...

...Axl, Slash and Duff could possibly collaborate on a new album that may feature some material that Axl wrote during the CD era. A far cry from "CD 2 starts now".

;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Absolutely. I'm quite looking forward to some of these people wetting the bed once there's a new record out and they have to deal with Appetite songs being swapped out for 10+ songs from CD 1 & 2

Axl did say he's planing on putting out new music, played some stuff for Slash and Duff and if Slash wants to be on it that's fine.

So your right points to getting maybe the second part to CD or a hybrid.

It's too bad that people can't appreciate the music even some claim how CD is great with Slash. I have no issues except when they act like CD songs were shit. CD was a great album what many won't admit is they let the Axl/Slash beef blind them when it came to CD. 

1 minute ago, BOSSY78 said:

Axl did say he's planing on putting out new music, played some stuff for Slash and Duff and if Slash wants to be on it that's fine.

So your right points to getting maybe the second part to CD or a hybrid.

It's too bad that people can't appreciate the music even some claim how CD is great with Slash. I have no issues except when they act like CD songs were shit. CD was a great album what many won't admit is they let the Axl/Slash beef blind them when it came to CD. 

CD is not a great album (in my opinion) and that has nothing to do with who put it out, who played on it or who did not.  It's just not a great record (again to me).   I'm not saying it's shit.  But, not great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

CD is not a great album (in my opinion) and that has nothing to do with who put it out, who played on it or who did not.  It's just not a great record (again to me).   I'm not saying it's shit.  But, not great.

That's fine we all have our tastes. But we all know that many didn't like it because of their take on a beef. You see it all the time how great they think it is now that Slash is playing them. Of course there are those who still don't like it or will say well I like that song with Slash playing it. It's a disrespect to the lyrics and Axl imo when They SUDDENLY Like it

But to those like yourself who just don't like it much or its not their favorite there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by BOSSY78
added

Just now, BOSSY78 said:

That's fine we all have our tastes. But we all know that many didn't like it because of their take on a beef. You see it all the time how great they think it is now that Slash is playing them. Of course there are those who still don't like it or will say well I like that song with Slash playing it. It's a disrespect to the lyrics and Axl imo when that's done.

But to those like yourself who just don't like it much or its not their favorite there's nothing wrong with that.

Yah, totally get that.  I actually have no problem that they play CD songs....I wish they didn't personally b/c I'd rather hear other older songs.  But, I am OK with it.  It's the damn covers I wish they would get rid of so they could play more GnR songs.  I'd even take no covers and three more CD songs if it came down to it.  I just want to hear GnR stuff.   

44 minutes ago, James Bond said:

When I saw Slash in 2012 he busted a string right ahead of the SCOM solo, so what followed was a mostly improvised but pretty cool rendition of the solo. He's good at that sort of off the cuff stuff. I actually don't mind when stuff like that happens!

That happened in Winnipegs 2010 slash show. Can't remember what song it was but I remember him still making it work. 

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Yah, totally get that.  I actually have no problem that they play CD songs....I wish they didn't personally b/c I'd rather hear other older songs.  But, I am OK with it.  It's the damn covers I wish they would get rid of so they could play more GnR songs.  I'd even take no covers and three more CD songs if it came down to it.  I just want to hear GnR stuff.   

I can agree on that. Maybe change up the covers and switch some around. Seekers been on the setlist like that a while I just eventually assumed there was a reason why he liked it there.

I like that coma isn't an every time thing it makes it exciting.

I think as the tour goes on we'll see them switch a few songs or try a few different ones out. The already have in a way.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I didn't say or imply you said the shows were bad. The whole point of my post was just to say to you and others that it's a bit early to be complaining, however lightly, about what is a magnificent setlist. 

I didn't say it was the first reunion show: obviously I know all about the previous shows. I've spent several hours every single say on here for the past 14 years. The clear implication was that it was the first show of the proper tour. What more could have been expected? If they'd played all the deep cuts you asked for you'd probably be wondering why they didn't play Coma, Estranged, OTGM, RQ...

Yes, quite. After the first show of the actual tour. My point in a nutshell. 

I had hoped the setlist might have changed a bit more between 2011 and 2014. That was a more reasonable expectation.

Well, actually, what you wrote sounded very much like that's what you want. Here it is:

In other words: "Drop these songs I don't want to hear and replace them with these songs I do want to hear." Anyone would be forgiven for thinking that sounds like wanting a tailored setlist. I'd personally be happy if they dropped all the Appetite songs and replaced them with Chinese songs. But that would kinda suck for everyone else and the tour would almost certainly bomb.   

And change it more often with every show? Well let's just pretend that Troubadour and Coachella/Mexico/Vegas were part of the Lifetime Tour. Detroit would still be only the 8th show and given the nature of this reunion, crowds all around the world are going to expect to hear pretty much this exact set they've put together. This isn't 1993 or 2013.

Now, back to reality: Detoit was the FIRST show of the Lifetime tour. What they played to fans in Vegas etc has no bearing on what they played last night. Even as a die-hard Chinese fan I wouldn't complain if they barely changed the set for their whole first go-round the world. It's what 98% of the people going want.

Not really relevant to my gentle criticism but thanks for letting me know.

I certainly did nothing of the sort. 

"Jeez", "shows, voice and general performances and everything we've gotten so far from these few shows feels like 10 Christmases in one" and "Just enjoy it!" they all sound like responses as if I had been complaning about the show, voice and performance or like I had not enjoyed it at all. So I think you did imply I was merely a complainer incapable of appreciating all the positives of the concert.

This line-up has been playing together since April, 2016 and this setlist (with slight variations) has been played exactly like this since April, 2016. So, technically, for me this isn't the first show of this "reunion" endeavor. It is not for me, hence, my expectations of some variations in the setlist. And if I had to consider it actually the first show, I would have also expected the "first show" to have a "surprise". Nothing wrong with it. Other people were/are expecting the appearance of Steven Adler or Izzy Stradlin.

I attended a show in 2011 and the setlist was incredibly well balanced, had lots of CD songs, most of the hits (for the casuals) and AC/DC covers (by then they were kinda new) so I don't see how it is unreasonable to expect a somewhat similar setlist now. I don't understand why any song request from the fans should be labeled as unreasonable. That's authoritarian.

Your "tailored setlist" hyperbole is just another of your tools to try to make someone look like a complainer and to scold people with a different opinion or different expectations than yours. Authoritarian times two.

I talk to a lot of fans and there's a big portion who were expecting a different setlist. No one ever said all current songs should be wiped out and replaced by deep cuts. I don't think even the die-hards like me want "It's So Easy" or "Jungle" or "SCOM" discarded forever. We want songs that are not that great or covers like LALD to be replaced by others that have not been played in a long time (and I only say replace because I assume the show can't last 4 hours) or added to the setlist (if somehow that was possible).

Your gentle criticism a.k.a. condescence is not needed around. You can have your opinion, you can enjoy your setlist as much as you want and I can have my different opinion too, expect things, suggest things and even demand them, as the recurring Guns N' Roses customer than I am :thumbsup:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, James Bond said:

He's a beast on guitar and I agree it makes it interesting to hear what he will come up with on the spot.