06/23/16 - Detroit - Ford Field (More Pre-Party Info, Pg 10)

downzy

As stated by many others In this thread, very good show but Axl Is not as good vocally on his own material as he was with AC/DC, but I believe that the majority of us will take whatever we can get at this point, especially being that Axl, Slash and Duff are together again.

First ,thanks to all who gave reviews and uploaded vids from show.From all the people on the forum who went to the show to the reviews in the press just about everyone came away with a positive impression.I also know that YouTube videos don't do justice in comparison to being there but I personally thought Axl sounded just OK on most songs .Just my opinion.Guess it's one of those cases like most shows where you had to be there 

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

You people complaining were not there, bottom line.

True. 

But there are also numerous positive comments from people who weren't there as well. 

Are you implying that only people at the specific concerts should be allowed to comment on these topics? People who listen to periscope or watch the posted YouTube videos aren't allowed to share their opinion?

Scooby845 (on this page) gave a tremendously positive review from what he saw on the videos. Are you mad at him, as he wasn't at the show. 

If topics were reserved ONlY for people attending that specific show then there would be 7 pages of comments rather than 90 pages. 

I wasn't at the show. But Axl and the band sound awesome from the clips I watched. Huge props for starting the show on time. Sweet that they are keeping Coma in the setlist. But I guess I shouldn't be allowed to post that info.....since I wasn't at the show. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I'm just seeing the videos now, and I agree it was a good performance. Band sounds great, tempos are much better, the guitar tones are amazing, they're as tight as ever.

Axl delivered a good performance, but not Axl/DC level. And don't come with 'Guns is harder to sing than AC/DC'. It's not that. I can't understand why we can't get a better RQ, or at least a fuckin raspy outro of Estranged, when he sings BIB and Thunderstruck the way he does. I expected more from him vocally.

Nevertheless I really think the show was good, and I really loved the chemistry that was going on stage :wub:

Yes agree 100%. Definitely sounding better, more like a band, tempos ok thank god( it was awful)....no problems. But Axl, cmon....decent is not enough, you can do better we know that. 

23 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

What a great show! 

I'm not sure I can say this was my favorite Guns N' Roses show that I've ever seen but it was the best managed and produced Guns N' Roses concert that I've ever been to without a doubt. 

Outside of Ford Field, there were a myriad of merch trucks, radio stations, local photographers, and a ton of stuff happening at and around the venue. The was a pre-party at The Fillmore, a giant faux spray paint GN'R logo on the side of a nearby parking structure, and a sea of men and women of all ages dressed in GNR merch (most of which was suspiciously new, but I digress). There was an overwhelming feeling of "Guns N' Roses is back" in the air. 

Inside, the security got you through the doors quickly and had about 3 additional security checks before you hit the pit. When the show finally started, the production team did a killer job with the lighting, video packages, and pyro. It looked and felt like a proper tour. For GN'R, it hasn't felt that way since 2006 and even that wasn't to this scale (and I'd argue it damned well better be given the ticket prices). All of these details add up and make for a more complete concert-going experience, not to mention make it easier for hardcore fans to get those coveted spots on the rail.

There was a great energy for pretty much the entire set. The drums were loud and everyone seemed ready to go off the bat. I was beyond excited to hear "Coma" and "Double Talkin Jive" in person for the first time and you could feel a different energy on those songs as opposed to the old stalwarts like "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Nightrain". I've seen a lot of criticism of "The Seeker" but it sounded incredible and the whole band, especially Axl sounded beyond thrilled to be playing it. Frank is hardly my favorite GN'R drummer but he sounded really quite good to my untrained ears. He didn't play the drum breakdown on "Better" though and I was a little bit bummed by that but overall that's a minor complaint. 

The only bump in the road was "This I Love", which I do like, but felt out of place in the set as it's hard to sing along to and stopped the momentum to that point. There also were a couple of technical hiccups that Axl worked through (I can't remember the song TBH but something about not being able to hear himself) and Slash when he broke his guitar string on "Nightrain" and switched up the outro. I can't really speak to the overall crowd energy because my ears were gone as soon as they hit "Jungle" but the reaction seemed quite positive and the house was packed. 

A cool moment was when Axl joked with the crowd about not singing back on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and said something to the effect of, "Oh, so you mean, fuck you Axl then...". Then I gave a joking thumbs up which he seemed to catch and then pointed back at me grinning. That's my little fanboy moment of the night.

Miscellaneous notes:

• They briefly played the "Rhiad N' The Bedouins" intro before "Rocket Queen".
  • Axl dryly introduced YCBM as a "nice, sentimental love song".
  • One of the video packages had imagery inspired the alternate booklet, particularly the "Sorry" artwork by Sandy Yagi with the lizard brain. It was oddly played with "Out Ta Get Me" IIRC.
  • Richard had a nice solo on KOHD and The Seeker.
  • Duff and Axl wore Detroit-themed t-shirts. Duff's said "Detroit: Where the weak are killed and eaten".
  • On KOHD or Nightrain (can't remember), I'm pretty sure that Axl changed hat / bandana combinations at least 3 times. 
  • Axl commented how everything in Detroit is deep fried and jokingly suggested he should invest in vegetable oil.
  • Jerry Cantrell had a go at Lions fans during the AIC set which was pretty funny.
  • @ZoSoRose said with a straight face that he liked Shotgun Blues. WTF. 

More pics of the show: https://www.instagram.com/wagszilla/

Great review. Thanks for sharing such a detailed account. 

1 hour ago, Easy said:

As a ~30 year GnR fan that never had a chance to see the band play live, last night's show was pretty kick ass & I'm very happy/grateful that they put their past behind them & moved on with life.  As Paradise closed the show and I was walking out of the building, I had a chat with my friend about just how epic this damn show was --- Slash absolutely tearing it up - every solo was record album 'spot on', Axl sounding almost as good as old Axl, seeing ~45k Detroit fans rocking w/ a ton of energy (yet not getting out of control) for 2+ hours of the show, etc..  Then it hit me -- it's kinda sad that GnR could have been doing this for last 20+ years... and all of the experiences & other stuff that could have been had, but were lost in time.

I think the previous posts from fellow Detroit show-goers already hit the nail on the head, so I'll keep my summary short.  In one word - awesome!  Slash was f'n epic - shredding it up and not missing a single note.  Axl's voice was better than I expected.  He looked a little winded during Easy (opener), but was in full stride & kicked ass from that point through ~ the 75% mark of the show.  Personally, I think he faded a bit for last 25% - still good, but not as great as he started.  Some of the slower songs like NR where he had to sing (vs shouting), I thought his voice just wasn't what it should be... but not a big deal, still good.  Disappointing that Patience was skipped, a few too many CD songs my old schoolness, Seeker was a snooze, etc.  But all in all, I'd give the show a solid A grade.  Lastly, and I don't know if this is typical Axl/GnR, but I also found it very strange, almost awkward, how they teared through song after song non-stop with almost NO commentary from Axl in-between.  If he said anything, it was a single word or phrase.  No "hey, it's great to be in Detroit... blah blah blah".  No stories or talking between songs.  I think the only time he said more than 2-3 sentences outside of a song was when he introduced each band member!  And the the whole 'All food in Detroit is fried.  I'd start taxing vegetable oil.' rant was just weird.  People in the rows of seats around me were all looking at each other like WTF is he talking about?!?!  I still have no clue what he's talking about, or whether he actually spent time here... unless that was some inner city race crack. Regardless....

A forewarning for fellow forum members attending future shows that I haven't seen posted in this thread yet.   The damn city specific tour t shirts were sold out (L, XL, XXL) before AiC even started their set.  And Yes, all 3(?) designs!  I wanted a Detroit skull & top hat tour shirt -- all they had left by the time AiC took the stage were S & M sizes (and we wasted prolly 25 minutes waiting in line at the main merch stand).  So, word to the wise -- if you want a city-specific tour shirt, plan on getting there very early before the show, or even better yet, the day before and buy it from the trailer parked outside.  This is probably my only disappointment of the night... and I walked the entire concourse hitting every merch stand trying to find the shirt -- no dice.

Chicago-bound next week for Soldier Field - see you there!

They had a ton of Detroit shirts in the club level after the show

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes, I've never seen seats in GA before, I've never been to a concert in a stadium or arena that's had seats on the floor. 

Do all US Shows have seats on the floor then? I just assumed they were like here in UK. 

I've been to many concerts where there were seats on the floor even in stadiums. I just want A/C because it's damn hot here!

Heard GNR came on at 9:45 and rocked it for 2 and a half hours. Yahoo.com gave it a great review! It was awesome to see Axl up front on his feet again!

4 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

13522903_10153758524390488_1292549486761

It may have not been a hug but the picture speaks for itself.  I certainly wouldn't lean on another guy unless he was a friend and we were getting along.  It should at the very least, squash any of the pre-tour rumors saying that they weren't on the best terms.

I love it! Freakin Awesome! Axl and Slash together again!:headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

I'm not overly impressed with Axl's vocals. Not bad by any means, just not overly impressive. I expected a few of the more rock'n'roll songs to sound a bit like, let's say "Shoot to Thrill", for instance. Performance was very, very similar to the pre Axl/DC shows. 

There is the "AC/DC plays right into his range" defence. I don't really buy that, having fully listened to pretty much every AC/DC show. Axl/DC is far from just high pitched screaming. There is everything there - screaming, big shifts in tone, high range, medium range, and Axl manages to nail all that in full rasp on different songs. Having listened to it several times, I find nothing that suggests he wouldn't be able to sing a song like RQ in full blown rasp.

I guess he is not that excited singing GNR anymore, or maybe won't risk ruining it for the US leg of AC/DC. I think there's also a possibility that he is trying to closely emulate the studio sound - unlike some people thing, those are very rarely too raspy. I'm a bit bummed by it, expected a bit more, but it's all good still. I'm glad to be witnessing this, it's great.

I have mentioned this once before on here..as a vocalist, one of the biggest challenges is breath and being able to control it and have enough of it to put out the lines with enough power.  With ACDC music, go back and listen to almost any of their songs from those shows, what you find is spacing ( time ) in between vocals especially in the chorus parts of most of their material. this lets him control his air and belt it out. Gnr Music is NOT created in the same way.  There is considerably more lyrical content in his own songs and much less spacing.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tberrie007 said:

I have mentioned this once before on here..as a vocalist, one of the biggest challenges is breath and being able to control it and have enough of it to put out the lines with enough power.  With ACDC music, go back and listen to almost any of their songs from those shows, what you find is spacing ( time ) in between vocals especially in the chorus parts of most of their material. this lets him control his air and belt it out. Gnr Music is NOT created in the same way.  There is considerably more lyrical content in his own songs and much less spacing.  

Yeah and it's also cause every singer got their own phrasing. For example Perfect Crime, I.R.S scream which he never even went for live, or Garden Of Eden. Won't find that in AC/DC's catalog. Perhaps Axl said AC/DC tunes were harder to sing cause: 1: he doesn't always sings the hardest Gn'R songs live or at all in some cases and 2: he has a lot of experience with Guns material. A lot of Gn'R tunes are brutal when it comes to range, spaces to breath and also the different ways Axl uses his voice. For example the vacuum sound in Jungle, rasp, switching sometimes from chest voice to head voice for example etc.

The power required to make it sound "right" for Gn'R is also a challenge. Like sometimes Axl will nail the notes but he'll lose power cause it's hard as shit to sing like Coma, YCBM, There Was A Time or Scraped.

There are so many elements in the vocal melodies when it comes to Guns tunes. Your point about time to breath in AC/DC choruses was a very good example.

AC/DC songs are hard as shit too to sing, but it's mostly high as fuck notes and power but the Brian material doesn't require a lot of rasp really which makes it easier at least in that aspect.

Edited by Rovim

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yeah and it's also cause every singer got their own phrasing. A lot of Gn'R tunes are brutal when it comes to range, spaces to breath and also the different ways Axl uses his voice. For example the vacuum sound in Jungle, rasp, switching sometimes from chest voice to head voice for example etc.

The power required to make it sound "right" for Gn'R is also a challenge. Like sometimes Axl will nail the notes but he'll lose power cause it's hard as shit to sing like Coma, YCBM, There Was A Time or Scraped.

There are so many elements in the vocal melodies when it comes to Guns tunes. Your point about time to breath in AC/DC choruses was a very good example.

AC/DC songs are hard as shit too to sing, but it's mostly high as fuck notes and power but the Brian material doesn't require a lot of rasp really which makes it easier at least in that aspect.

Great points in your post, said it better than i was trying to get across...axl painted himself into a corner with his amazing talent back in the day. reading that he is saving his voice for the ACDC leg to come is just silly 

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I'm sorry, but the only thing that's very obvious here is that you have no idea what you're talking about. Not a clue.

Uhm, if he didn't move on, this reunion would have never happened.  What are you talking about?  lmfao!

2 minutes ago, tberrie007 said:

Great points in your post, said it better than i was trying to get across...axl painted himself into a corner with his amazing talent back in the day. reading that he is saving his voice for the ACDC leg to come is just silly 

It Is silly and this "saving his voice" along with "he Is holding back" or "It Is Intentional" discussion has been going on for years on this board.

11 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Uhm, if he didn't move on, this reunion would have never happened.  What are you talking about?  lmfao!

First of all, it's a hybrid reunion. He kept Fortus, Frank, and Dizzy, while adding Mellisa. Pretty far from a true reunion wouldn't you say? sounds different as well.

Secondly: not quite sure how do you define moving on bro. Slash and Duff are playing Chinese tunes. Slash and Duff listened to some Chinese tunes and liked those according to Axl. Why would he mention that? why even share that he's not sure if Slash will be a part of it but he's open for Slash playing on Chinese tracks? if anything, I think it's still important for Axl to release an album with his tunes in the center of it. He even said that he prefers to first write lyrics and melodies, so most of the musical direction of the next album could still be dictated by his material even if they do write some songs from scratch.

Blind man's laughter.

Edited by Rovim

OK I've just read 43 pages, thanks everyone for the accounts, pics and video clips, the excitement is tangible it's great stuff.

I love the stage and lights it's grown up Guns N Roses, no gimmicks, it's not cluttered, no naff pole dancers it's just a group of guys taking to the stage and rocking which is exactly where the focus should be. I don't know how to explain it, but I got the distinct impression that the 1980s have been left far behind and the concept has been brought bang upto date. I don't know who's behind it but I like it a lot?

I would like to see some mix up with the set list, it was said in another thread, it would be great for a fan vote on a deep cut. It was done by the Rolling Stones throughout their tour and I love a bit of fan participation makes me feel worthy ?I have no problem with CD songs but too many covers is such a waste when they have to many great songs that should be included.

The impression I get is this is very much focusing on the 3 really didn't notice the presence of the other band members, could just be video clip angles but definantly seems that with the exception of fortus everyone else were set to the back of the stage. Anyone who was there, did you get the same vibe?

Anyway can't wait to see how this plays out, it's a strong start should be a memorable tour.