07/06/16 - Cincinnati, OH - Paul Brown Stadium (Steven Adler 2 Songs)

downzy

20 minutes ago, Jus10 said:

Didnt want to start a new thread, but here is a write-up and some photos/videos of my amazing experience I had from PIT (front row) in Cincy.  Enjoy!

http://www.justinhite.com/justinhiteart/2016/7/8/welcome-back-to-the-jungle

Everyone should take some time to read this.  Absolutely wonderful write-up.  May I share this on my Favebook page?

I just rewatched the June 1991 G N' R show at the Philadelphia Spectrum....the first G N' R show I attended live.  I can honestly say the band sounds tighter now than they did back then and Axl sounds just as good, if not better on at least half the songs now as he did back then. 

People that say they don't sound as good now, simply were not around back then and must be comparing their performances now to their very best shows back then....which is completely unrealistic.  G N' R had their good shows, not so good shows and about average shows back in the 90's as well.  And one thing is for certain, without a single doubt, OVERALL, on average, the band is much, much tighter now than what they were back then, on average. Heck, they were notorious for playing loose....sometimes even sloppy back then....part of the reason they became so popular was for that exact reason.  They still managed to pull it off and deliver a great show. 

Are the shows now better than their very best shows from the 90's?  Probably not.....not yet, anyway.   But they are just getting started and they really shouldn't be compared until we get a "best of" from this tour and compare it to a "best of" from back then.

Edited by Kasanova King

3 hours ago, Warhead78 said:

holy shit, i listened that without seeing the video and you really can't tell if that's from 1990 or 2016  :D

Do you think Axl still reads reviews like he used to? As if so, he's directly responded to that "weak link" 

one posted a few shows ago...that Civil war and the shows have gone up a notch or two or is it just they're

clicking...clicking that THIS is real...Now! The rust is off! Wow 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It does matter, of course it does. If Mick Jagger blubbered up and came out to sing for The Stones looking like a balloon with lips, then everyone would laugh their heads off. 

Axl is currently in two of the biggest bands on the planet, playing to hundreds of thousands of people between them, he is all over the rock music media. In that case, I don't think it's unreasonable for his fans to want him to look the best he can. Casual fans will look on social media and see a fat ginger guy, sad but true. They need those casuals to turn up for these concerts. So, yes I think it matters. 

I think that's a bit of an overstatement.  I don't think Axl is fat at all, neither is Slash by the way!  Heavier middles?  Sure.  That's not what I would refer to as fat.

I think the issue is that their classic, sex on a stick, skinny video images are forever burned in our minds and people wish they could stay that way forever.

It doesn't mean they are necessarily unhealthy.  They are giving everything to their performances.

As long as Axl is being considerate towards the fans (starting on time) and delivering in the shows, then who are we to demand that he lose weight?  He's in his fifties, he's got to enjoy life, there's no going back in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

The 54 year old motherfucker is running around the stage like a maniac for 2 and a half hours (not even in 2010 he did that), while belting those songs out with full rasp, and people say he is "out of shape" because he has a gut. I know bodybuilders who would die if they performed a show like Axl has been doing. 

Look at the intensity of this performance, ffs. That requires insane cardio, not just good, or decent, but very, very good. Some people, at some point in their lives, specially men, struggle to lose weight, specially on the belly area. Axl is likely one of those, because the cardiovascular shape he is in at that age is not decent, is not ok, it's fucking glorious.

People who keep talking about the shape his in should seriously follow the advice he gives right there near ending of "Out Ta Get Me". 

That's what really got me man...was the fact that he is so mobile and active and expends so much energy.  I mean I know he did that back in the day...but now, at 54, that is one thing I was not expecting.  His stage presence and level of activity is amazing!

Just now, Warhead78 said:

holy shit, i listened that without seeing the video and you really can't tell if that's from 1990 or 2016  :D

Can that song be any better?? ( no im not chandler hahaha)

Wow. I think this is at least one of the two or three best CW performances of all time.  Just unbelieveblely magnificent.  Even fisicly axl is delivering, so much stamina and vocal capacity for a over weight, smoker, reently 2 month on a chair, touring with 2 bands, 54 years old guy??  God.. God bless u red head, youre the undisputable king. 

Slash??? Well. Slash is , again ( i was kind of disapointed last few years, most of the shows ive saw with smkc were not good, specially with sole of the gnr material, but some of his own stuff too).  But this slash?? This is the dude that makes me wanna cry, makes me want to take my les paul and play till i hurt my fingers.. He just amaze me, he is " FUCKIN SLASH " again. For me the most wonderfull, ceative, smart, soul coneced with his equipment, versatil, guitar player ever.  

Duff is duff, his sound doesnt chaged at all, he's singing more acuratedly now ( wich im not diggin. Its not entirely working for me, but he is duff rose mackagan.. Love the guy).. Plus ive got to say, he's very important in gnr sound. 

I want to dedicate a couple of lines to frank. HeS doin a hell of a job.  And i repeat : "HE CHANGES SOME OF THE CLASSIC BEATS CAUSE HE WAS ASKED TO" ( for.example the famous "dam bum da ni bum" ).  Hes a great great drummer, just listen to this civil war, COMA, etc.  )

Fortus.. Like i said a long time a go. A real " deluxe" piece for a rythm 2nd guitar. Hes some kind of " scottie pippen", if u know what i mean

Melissa??  Somehow she is one of the biggest winners so far.  People is really accepting, lovin, getting her.  She's AMAZING .  ( just listen carefully to the audience when axl introduces the band)

And now that we're gonna get some adler every now and then?

Come on u guys. Just give us one more album. One more "gnr album", thats all im asking.

PEACE

• Like 2

8 hours ago, andy_rose said:

Awesome shots @superdave

Look at Steven 

And Slash!

image.jpeg.41f6564d874bc15e3ba9e2e5d532cdbc.jpeg

Actually as I look at this, do you kinda get the feeling that Steven is thinking "Hey Frank, I should be standing over there where you are with the three of them bro"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warhead78 said:

His voice still kicks ass.  I knew he always had it....he just rarely cared with the JV band.   Now he cares and it's awesome!   Love it....Guns is back! 

3 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

The 54 year old motherfucker is running around the stage like a maniac for 2 and a half hours (not even in 2010 he did that), while belting those songs out with full rasp, and people say he is "out of shape" because he has a gut. I know bodybuilders who would die if they performed a show like Axl has been doing. 

Look at the intensity of this performance, ffs. That requires insane cardio, not just good, or decent, but very, very good. Some people, at some point in their lives, specially men, struggle to lose weight, specially on the belly area. Axl is likely one of those, because the cardiovascular shape he is in at that age is not decent, is not ok, it's fucking glorious.

People who keep talking about the shape his in should seriously follow the advice he gives right there near ending of "Out Ta Get Me". 

he looks good to me, he sounds great and as pointed out he has more energy on stage than he has in years! i think the haters are grasping at straws and it's pathetic. keep doing what you're doing Axl, we are LOVING it :wub:

• Like 1

My first GNR show ever, man. It's such a weird disconnect after obsessively examining them on the forums for about a year and a half. I remember getting in YouTube arguments about people vigorously supporting the CD lineups and I'm just looking back laughing now.

Seriously though, one of the best shows in my life. I always figured that they'd sound better live, but I was floored how great Axl sounded, especially after it seems like we've been timing how much rasp he used inbetween 2012-present. It just seems like he's got an incentive to deliver. Can anyone verify if he's using a vocal coach?

I screamed when Steve came on for a few songs. Wish he could've come back for Nightrain and I was really holding out that Izzy would join him and they'd do just the original 5 for Paradise City. Nonetheless, it's definitely the coolest guest appearance I've ever seen at a show. Was texting an old flame who saw them in Chicago and that, combined with that they played Patience for what I believe to be the first time this tour, she got really pissed. 

Everybody brought it though. Never would have thought I would see Axl/Slash/Duff all share the same stage again. The choice of the CD material was great; I enjoyed Slash's take on Better a lot. I feel like Richard is the perfect counterpoint for Slash and at points he helps embody the twin-lead idea I've always thought would work the best. Frank seems to have a bit more groove than what I've heard on YouTube videos in the past. I always thought that he was the worst drummer that GNR has had but the fluidity of the performance has gotten to me (or maybe I just had to see him live to experience it). Not really too sure what I think about Melissa though. I laughed a little bit when I was reading a review that says she looks like an anime character. Definitely the odd one out, but I'll take anything over Chris Pitman (if anyone knows me they know how much I despise that guy). 

Life is good friends. I'd love to see them in Nashville with Chris Stapleton opening, but i'm just in grateful awe of how great it was. Lets hope they keep riding this train for a long, long time. 

• Like 2