Rate the studio albums

1. Appetite

2. UYI II

3. UYI I

4. Lies

5. Chinese

6. Spaghetti

Even though two of my absolute favourite Guns songs (Civil War and Estranged) come from UYI II, there's no denying that Appetite is both the best and definitive Guns album.

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

1. Appetite

2. UYI II

3. UYI I

4. Lies

5. Chinese

6. Spaghetti

Even though two of my absolute favourite Guns songs (Civil War and Estranged) come from UYI II, there's no denying that Appetite is both the best and definitive Guns album.

Your list is almost identical to mine, except I put Lies in the 2nd spot. Even though both UYI albums are probably better than Lies in a lot of ways, Lies feels more like the true sequel to Appetite. Had it been a proper album, with even just 2 More songs, it would be GREAT. Its still damn good how it is. The rawness of it, makes it slightly better than either Illusion IMO. But it's only better by percentage points.

• Like 1

I'm as big an Axl Rose fan as anyone. But I'm a Guns N' Roses fan first and foremost. Because of that, I just can't conceive how any GNR fan could possibly rank CD above UYI1 or UYI2, let alone AFD. To me, anybody that would do that are really just fans of Axl more than anything else. I say the same of Slash fans, who I'm equally a fan of. Nothing he's released has been as good as those 3 albums --- although, like CD, his albums were really good.

Having said the above, here are my rankings:

1- Appetite for Destruction ..... 10 of the 12 tracks are outstanding. The other 2 are still pretty good. This album contains one of my personal favorites and what I believe to be a very underrated track considering it was never commercial, Rocket Queen. From top to bottom, this is the bands best collection of songs. It is the best selling debut album of all-time and among the best selling ever. Enough said.

2- Use Your Illusion 1 ..... The most eclectic album they ever released. It contains 3 commercially successful tracks (Live and Let Die, Don't Cry and November Rain) but numerous more underrated tunes including Right Next Door to Hell, Perfect Crime, Double Talkin' Jive, Garden Of Eden, Don't Damn Me and the epic Coma. Their are so many songs on this album that show off Axl's song/lyric writing, Slash's ability to create memorable leads and solos, and Izzy/Duff's complimentary rhythms and layers.

3- GN'R LIES .... This one is tough for me to rank ahead of UYI 2, but I do so largely on the strength of the acoustic version of "You're Crazy", which is another of my personal favorites and another underrated track. IMO, Axl's voice on this particular track, along with the intense and anger filled vocals on One in a Million, is the best he's ever sounded. Ironic, considering his personal disdain of how he sounded on this album. Toss is one of their most popular and best tracks ever, Patience, as well as the early club songs and this album is a winner.

4- Use Your Illusion 2 ..... I love this album. Just not as much as first three. This album largely stands on the merits of commercial hits Civil War, Knockin on Heaven's Door, Estranged and You Could Be Mine. And it has another of my personal favorites and underrated songs, Breakdown. 14 Years, Yesterdays, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive and So Fine are all tremendous songs in their own right and help to strengthen this collection of work. However, weak tracks such as My World and Get in the Ring drag it down just a bit. Also, while I like the ALT version of "Don't Cry", it isn't as good as the original -- which also subtracts a few points. Heck, neither version of song is as good as the DEMO version released on CD single (another of Axl's best vocal performances IMO).

5- Chinese Democracy ..... as somebody else already mentioned, this is a GN'R album only in name, not in content or participation. This album would be better ranked against the albums released by Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven when they created music with different people. That said, I include solely for the name technicality. This album is a mixed bag for me, as I know it is for many others. There are lots of brilliant pieces to it. And Axl has moments as big and grand as anything he had done previously, even if his voice wasn't the same. For me, the standout tracks are Chinese Democracy, Better, Street of Dreams, and This I love. This album is a bit overproduced for my taste and would have benefited from being released about 5 years earlier than it was. That said, it is not near the disappointment many haters would have you believe. And it's far better than the covers album released by the remaining members of the original 5 in 1993.

6- Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide ..... I include this because was it was released by the original five and under the umbrella of Geffen Records (UZI Suicide) and contained a couple original works. Reckless Life and Move to the City are both worthwhile songs, if not spectacular or as exciting as what was yet to come. IMO, the 2 cover songs are better than most everything on The Spaghetti Incident.

7- The Spaghetti Incident ..... I have a hard time considering a strictly covers album a "real" release. While it was nice to hear the band perform these songs and pay homage to their influences, none of the song choices rank among the top 10 of what fans hoped to hear. Speaking for myself, I was disappointed not getting studio versions of Heartbreak Hotel and Jumping Jack Flash, which would made the album more of a must have. As it were, the band had it's moments with Since I Don't Have You, Human Being, Hair of the Dog, and I Don't Care About You. On the whole, it is the bands weakest effort to date. But, even the bands worst work is better than than the "good" from many of their contemporaries :)

On 4.4.2016 at 10:25 PM, thunderram said:

Because of that, I just can't conceive how any GNR fan could possibly rank CD above UYI1 or UYI2, let alone AFD. To me, anybody that would do that are really just fans of Axl more than anything else. 

Nah, man. I wouldn't call myself an Axl fan more than a GNR fan. I'm just a fan of good music.

• Like 1

Ok my top albums ranked for today. Ranking changes on my mood etc

Number #1 is the spaghetti incident lol narr just messing around 

#1 Appetite for destruction 

#2 Use your illusion 2

#3 Use your illusion 1

#4 Lies

#5 Live Like a Suicide

#6 Live era (some of the songs like rocket queen are amazing) 

#7 Chinese Democracy (can move up to top four depending on mood but not feeling it today)

#8 The Spaghetti Incident 

I do love all their albums and they are all special in their own way. 

I really hope a new album drops soon.

1-AFD...no explanation needed

2-CD--elimate 2 or 3 songs and it's considered a classic by critics imo

3-UYI 1-lots of good hard and much more complete than UYI2

4-Lies

5-UYI 2-a little too much filler

6-TSI-I still consider it a really good album where most of my guns friends trash it...human being is amazing.

besides appetite and lies I think the albums could have been viewed as much stronger if the track listings were limited to 10-11 songs.

AFD - 9

Lies - 9

UYI 1 - 8

UYI 2 - 8

CD - 6

I rate Lies highly because the last four tracks are great, and hearing the first four is just cool because it's basically where the band started.  Too much filler on UYI brings the score down.  CD was ruined by the mixing and some of the songs are cringe worthy.  I really like half the album though so it gets a 6.