Slash is the best in the world

I don't know what " the best" means in music (and it probably doesn't mean anything if you're above 14 and have quit the "my band is better than yours" vision).

Slash is certainly a very influential guitarist, with an instantly recognizable tone and style, and who has written and played on some of rock music greatest songs. He's also one of my personal favorites. 

But he's nowhere as influential and innovative as the likes of Hendrix, Page, May or Eddie, for instance. But then again, no one is.

He's basically a Joe Perry who actually plays great. Substance and style.

That said,it's enjoyable how better he has got since the GNR heydays. Way more focused playing,( if you forget his 20 minute noodling during Rocket Queen which has recently showcased a very marked sticky fingers syndrome). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EvH said:

He's basically a Joe Perry who actually plays great. Substance and style.

He's sort of a culmination of that bluesy rock style but with more developed chops, and hard rock/metal sort of tendencies added in but with a bit more care put into melody and phrasing. Which I'd guess you get if you grow up on Aerosmith/Stones/Zep but also Metallica/Van Halen/Motorhead in equal doses.

• Like 2

Just now, moreblack said:

He's sort of a culmination of that bluesy rock style but with more developed chops, and hard rock/metal sort of tendencies added in but with a bit more care put into melody and phrasing. 

Absolutely.

On 11/8/2016 at 1:02 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Everybody has switched allegiances now.

Hitherto, 'Slosh' was the cancer - Duff , not much better; Nugnr possessed 'infinite superior technical abilities' than the old band, and were tremendously 'loyal' servants (it was often pointed out that Stinson had been in the band longer than Duff). Slash played ''cheesy rock'' whereas Nugnr was an 'artistic thing''. Izzy was considered fairly 'cool', guesting with Axl as he did, showing he is not bigoted against the new band like Slash, remaining Mr Neutral.

Now, Axl, Slash and Duff and the 'partnership agreement' are ''righteous truth''. Nugnr are dismissed as something barely worth mentioning. Izzy is essentially the new ''cancer'', and Adler ''should be happy with his scraps''. Sorum and Gilby are even lower specimens than Izzy! Fortus is ''god: a superior being than even the almighty Axl himself, a technical genius, a songwriting leviathan, a guru, a sage, a religious teacher''.

I stand by everything i said about the old nuGnR circa 2006-2014 (not a fan of the band from 1999 - 2005). They (excluding DJ) were all top quality players in one style or another. And despite a lot of fans having a go at it, the three guitar sound, sounded pretty great!

As far as I'm concerned they were a great band, and it's a pity they didn't get let off the chain in a studio to cook up a record. I'd go as far as to say at their best they were capable of keeping up any band, including GnR today or classic GnR ( I still prefer the sound of classic gnr live). I also still consider CD to be one of my favourite albums and I prefer it (most days of the week) over most other GnR material.

Not saying one is better or worse, I just don't flip flop because the band has changed members. 

However, I do agree with you in some ways as the general feeling towards Slash has changed dramatically around here, 2 years ago a lot of people who loved the GnR of that time had no love for Slash... now, those same people are all over him, flying around the world to see him with GnR.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

He is better than Perry in my opinion. To me Slash is a superior Joe Perry.

Different style, although Slash owes a lot to Joe Perry AND Brad Whitfords guitar style. As for Perry, he is more restrained, but he's no less talented. Slash does more blazing runs etc. but they are equal when it comes to writing memorable melodic solos one of personal favourite Perry solos is Living on the edge, absolutely perfect! 

There's also no such thing as best in the world. If you want something measurable, you can look at popularity or maybe influence. Slash is both popular and an influence on many. One of the greats, no doubt! although in guitar circles he is not highly thought of, commonly called a "chancer"... but that's usually from the exotic blues fans or Jazz-heads.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

November rain and estranged as well..

Yea but these are the ones he got tired of supposedly to the point where he told Axl he's not doing any more Stephenie Seymour ballads...

so who knows that was 20 years ago, obviously both guys have changed. I doubt it's an issue today 

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

I meant after GNR when he was supposedly free from ballads. He still did them.

Slash doesn't mind a couple of ballads. It could be weepy as hell like Gotten, but he still released it on his solo album. Just not like Axl with the ratio. Mostly hard rock with 2 to 3 ballads give or take is ideal for Slash.

Edited by Rovim

On 11/9/2016 at 11:04 PM, IncitingChaos said:

Yea but these are the ones he got tired of supposedly to the point where he told Axl he's not doing any more Stephenie Seymour ballads...

so who knows that was 20 years ago, obviously both guys have changed. I doubt it's an issue today 

Well he was an idiot and completely in the wrong for that. But hey it's in the past.. common knowledge that it wasn't all slashs fault 

4 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Well he was an idiot and completely in the wrong for that. But hey it's in the past.. common knowledge that it wasn't all slashs fault 

Slash wasn't and isn't an idiot for preferring and concentrating on more hard rock material compared to what Axl mainly focuses on which is mainly epics, ballads, or epic ballads.

It's a matter of taste and what made Slash's contributions to Axl's ballads so great in the first place. It was different compared to Axl's style thanks to Slash's taste as a musician. He pushed it to a more Guns place, it rocks even though it's Estranged for example. At least in some places. But it has that element.

The Guns recipe was always the balance achieved by all the members pushing it more to their own direction and still making it work as a song.

Slash is a hard rock guitar player. Axl is sometimes Elton John and wants to be Queen.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On ‎09‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 4:51 AM, Tom2112 said:

Different style, although Slash owes a lot to Joe Perry AND Brad Whitfords guitar style. As for Perry, he is more restrained, but he's no less talented. Slash does more blazing runs etc. but they are equal when it comes to writing memorable melodic solos one of personal favourite Perry solos is Living on the edge, absolutely perfect! 

There's also no such thing as best in the world. If you want something measurable, you can look at popularity or maybe influence. Slash is both popular and an influence on many. One of the greats, no doubt! although in guitar circles he is not highly thought of, commonly called a "chancer"... but that's usually from the exotic blues fans or Jazz-heads.

Like you said, it's all personal taste, but IMO the solo in Livin On The Edge is nowhere near Slash's bests. You can hear the influence and it could be a Slash solo but a mediocre one. Again, in my opinion.

Slash's lead guitar playing style employs concepts used by Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Albert King, Clapton, Metallica. He is influenced by others such as Jeff Beck, BB king and Jimi but you can actually hear how he combines a lot of different styles to create his own from what I've initially mentioned as his influences.

Some guitar players it's more easily traced to a singular influence. But Slash's playing is the embodiment of Hard Rock playing. It's all bluesy hard rock but it sounds fresh cause he used all the classic techniques of what worked in the 60's and 70's but with his own distinct sound, phrasing, and note choices with some metal on top. His brand of rock is way more aggressive but still super melodic and with musical direction.

He basically perfected Jimmy Page. Stairway To Destruction.

• Like 1