How do we think Axl feels about CD?

I've been wondering recently; how does Axl feel about CD? Do you think he has regrets and its something that bothers him, spending so much of his life on the one album (a great one, imo, but still). Or do you think he looks back and is proud of what he did and is glad that he has been able to put something that was, in a way, his, out into the world? I thought this would be an interesting discussion. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

What is he supposed to say in an interview though? That Appetite is his favorite Guns album which is why the setlists are AFD loaded? :lol:

I think he's proud of CD but I'm sure he has regrets about what it took from him to put it out there. He even seems to have regrets about UYI which are legendary albums. The guy changes his mind a lot.;)

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

He loves CD, he spent a lot of time and energy on it. I think it bothered him that it wasn't as well received as he'd hope but I think he's well aware of the criticisms and gets why people like this over that, however this is what he released and he's proud of it 

• Like 3

I would think he has some regrets about it. Seeing as how they are now getting pretty much universal praise from critics, he has to wonder if he would've put it out in 2004-2005 with slash and duff, how big it would've been. The general public was so hungry for a GNR reunion/album at that time. That's when Velvet revolver first hit, greatest hits was doing well, and behind the music was on vh1 like every other day. If the had gotten together as they are now, released CD with slash and duff, I think it would've huge. During this time people did still buy cds, in 2008, a lot had changed. Plus, I feel that a lot of people didn't have any interest in CD because slash wasn't on it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TupacShakur said:

I think he regrets the vocals on the album he said in the china exchange interview that they didn't go over well with fans

For a while, like with Chinese, I was trying to get my voice a lot clearer. I feel like that maybe fans didn't… necessarily respond to that so much as well, sometimes, at shows and things but I think it was very good for me to be even better at what I am doing right now.“

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

I would think he has some regrets about it. Seeing as how they are now getting pretty much universal praise from critics, he has to wonder if he would've put it out in 2004-2005 with slash and duff, how big it would've been. The general public was so hungry for a GNR reunion/album at that time. That's when Velvet revolver first hit, greatest hits was doing well, and behind the music was on vh1 like every other day. If the had gotten together as they are now, released CD with slash and duff, I think it would've huge. During this time people did still buy cds, in 2008, a lot had changed. Plus, I feel that a lot of people didn't have any interest in CD because slash wasn't on it. 

I doubt at that time he had any intention of reuniting with Slash and Duff. Although I agree that had he released it even a few years earlier it could have done a bit better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I doubt at that time he had any intention of reuniting with Slash and Duff. Although I agree that had he released it even a few years earlier it could have done a bit better. 

Yeah at the time he didn't want anything to do with those guys. I'm just saying that now since all the smoke has cleared and they seem to be getting along, it might be a regret he has, that he didn't call in 04' instead of 15'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeman5150 said:

Yeah at the time he didn't want anything to do with those guys. I'm just saying that now since all the smoke has cleared and they seem to be getting along, it might be a regret he has, that he didn't call in 04' instead of 15'

Yes I see what you're saying, things would have been very different indeed. 

It would have been a blockbuster album between 1999-2003 when GnR was transitioning to legendary status. A release date between 2004-2006 would have ensured it was a solid hit. 

He just waited too long. No promo just killed even the little momentum that album had. Total wasted marketing opportunity. Even Waterworld made money just out of sheer curiosity from people wondering about why that movie was so expensive and all the crazy problems it had. They could have spun the bad press and just called it "the most expensive rock album ever made". Just a complete waste of Axl's effort and more importantly....his time. Time from his prime that he will never get back.

Stuff like that eats away at anyone. I'm sure we'd all do stuff differently in retrospect.

On a positive note, it's a good album. He should be proud of it despite everything. Atleast he didn't put out a bad album like Michael Jackson's final album.

• Like 1

Yes I think when you're an artist you could sit and add things forever. There will always be something new to add or change. 

30 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It would have been a blockbuster album between 1999-2003 when GnR was transitioning to legendary status. A release date between 2004-2006 would have ensured it was a solid hit. 

He just waited too long. No promo just killed even the little momentum that album had. Total wasted marketing opportunity. Even Waterworld made money just out of sheer curiosity from people wondering about why that movie was so expensive and all the crazy problems it had. They could have spun the bad press and just called it "the most expensive rock album ever made". Just a complete waste of Axl's effort and more importantly....his time. Time from his prime that he will never get back.

Stuff like that eats away at anyone. I'm sure we'd all do stuff differently in retrospect.

On a positive note, it's a good album. He should be proud of it despite everything. Atleast he didn't put out a bad album like Michael Jackson's final album.

I definitely think that he took too long, although I do sometimes wonder what the album would have been like had it released earlier. Some of the leaked versions are better than the final, definitely, although some also sound worse imo.  Depending on how early it would release some songs would need to be omitted as well, which I'm not sure I'd be okay with. I guess I'm happy it came out when it did as I love how the album was at that time. If it had came out earlier or later it would've most likely sounded different again. I agree he probably has regrets about how he spent those years. The funny thing about that is that pretty much all the outtakes from that album are great. It's as if he picked the most shitty ones and made an album out of it haha. Anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Yes I think when you're an artist you could sit and add things forever. There will always be something new to add or change. 

I definitely think that he took too long, although I do sometimes wonder what the album would have been like had it released earlier. Some of the leaked versions are better than the final, definitely, although some also sound worse imo.  Depending on how early it would release some songs would need to be omitted as well, which I'm not sure I'd be okay with. I guess I'm happy it came out when it did as I love how the album was at that time. If it had came out earlier or later it would've most likely sounded different again. I agree he probably has regrets about how he spent those years. The funny thing about that is that pretty much all the outtakes from that album are great. It's as if he picked the most shitty ones and made an album out of it haha. Anyway. 

It would have sounded more raw, stripped down, and meaner like "Oh My God". But that style of production is not Axl's style. He's a grandiose guy. The "raw" Beavan sessions were never really going to work considering his clashes with Slash on Illusions about going bigger. No way was he going to downsize for Chinese Democracy and give it a stark production. It unfolded the only way it could - I've started to accept that the more I think of the Chinese saga. 

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It would have sounded more raw, stripped down, and meaner like "Oh My God". But that style of production is not Axl's style. He's a grandiose guy. The "raw" Beavan sessions were never really going to work considering his clashes with Slash on Illusions about going bigger. No way was he going to downsize for Chinese Democracy and give it a stark production. It unfolded the only way it could - I've started to accept that the more I think of the Chinese saga. 

That's interesting, I wonder how much it actually changed from its initial conception. I would love to hear the earliest makings of the album and find out if it was so drastically different to how it eventually became. I can't really imagine any of those songs sounding anything like Oh My God haha. Although I did enjoy that song personally. It was an interesting step for Axl, anyway. I agree it happened the only way it could've. It seems Axl was determined to release something he was totally satisfied with. 

• Like 1

I hope he's proud of the album.  I think its a terrific album. Maybe not so much proud about the time it took?  But the fact that it did take that much time seems to indicate that there was some madness going on so maybe he should be proud for sticking with it.  Madness and business pressures and manipulations. Impressive to come out the other side, imo.

I hate to say controversial things and dont wanna get into it with anyone, but Ill say this.  I love VR Contraband, but I think the reason there is so much CD played and no Slither is because Sorry stands up more then Slither.  I think the time and attention does indeed elevate the songs above and beyond 'kick ass rock' hit single to something more timeless.  And Axls China Exchange comments seem to indicate that he thinks well of those CD songs too.

He sent Brain a platinum plaque like years later, so to me thats an indication he's proud of it.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Just a complete waste of Axl's effort and more importantly....his time. Time from his prime that he will never get back.

I don't think he regrets making the album and he's proud of the songs BUT what you said there is just.... so true for the life of anyone in this world, no matter how much money, fame or whatever you have.

TIME is of the essence. Youth is too precious for our western society that loves putting so many eggs on that part of one's life.

I'm sure his regrets (if any) are directly related to realizing that time is gone and that not even CD was worth the wait so long.

• Like 2