The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

51 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah.... Thats not true.

2016 was way better than 2017 and especially this year. Appetite songs almost sounded like they did in the old days to me. Stuff like Nightrain, OTGM, My Michelle, etc had immense energy and power. There wad also zero voice cracking and minimal micky for the majority of the rest of the set, too. Some songs like Yesterdays and TWAT were a little rough, but nothing unbearable. He may not have been quite as raspy and powerful as 2010, but he was pretty spot on 

Not to mention the ACDC gigs where he was straight up AFD Axl, surpassing it equating even 2010 Axl

People get older, but its been a big decline in only 2 years. I dont know the reasons, could be age, lack of preparation, fatigue...Idk. The shows are still great. I saw them last year, I still had fun, but its natural to talk about Axls vocals here, since it is a fan forum. For the most part, they are just not comparable to 2016. I havent seen a single consistant 2017 or 2018 show that equates to a single 2016 show vocally. Again, that doesnt mean the tour sucks, it's just my observation based on the vocals.

I wouldnt even rule out improvement. People thought he was done 2011-2014 (sans the last few shows), and he came back with a vengeance in 2016. We will see what happens in the future, at least it seems theres a little improvement since Berlin

Edit- forgive spelling errors, mobile post

You are comparing the best of 2016 i feel. NIghtrain is still awesome, as would OTGM i'm sure if they played it. Zero mickey in 2016... don't talk rubbish. Go back and listen to estranged, rocket queen etc and you will find that most of the time they sound very  similar to today. Don't cry and yesterdays are the same. Patience is the same. PC arguably worse than the last few shows. YCBM consistently struggled since 2006!

Raspy and powerful in 2010... saw the band 3 times that year. Live, no massive difference really in terms of the concert experience although i would agree that overall Axl is not as good today as back then. 8 years is a long time when you are at his age! He had more energy absolutely. But he still has plenty of energy now for a 57 year old. You cannot compare the demand of GNR songs to the likes of the Stones etc. 

Re the AXL/DC stuff... saw that live in 2016 and it was awesome. Although people forget that on many tracks he sings exactly like he currently does on estranged for examples. Listen to 'dirty deeds' and the like. 

I'm a realist and do believe that although the show is still really good and he sounds generally good.. If Axl continues to gradually decline in terms of vocal ability i hope he calls it a day with GNR in the next few years. 

Peace out & long live rock and roll!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrolg said:

I think denial/sugarcoating is at an all time high right now. 

Jungle has been fantastic throughout 2016 and even bits of 2017, and it sucks now. For the first time in his career since recording TIL his voice is failing to reach some of the notes and he is switching to a lower voice. For the first time in his career since releasing UYI he is failing to reach notes in the bridge of YCBM, and his voice is reverting back to a low voice, voluntarily or not. His voice cracks and falters whenever he goes high, and he even had a bad Nightrain performance for the first time since god knows when.

But hey, everything is fine, Axl is fantastic. People who paid and go to shows, drink lots of beer and sing along the songs are surprisingly not complaining. 

To each their own, I guess. I know the shows are great and very enjoyable when you are there, but to not recognize what's going on with his voice right now is a level of delusion that baffles me.

Yup, everything I just said on the last page of this thread 

30 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

YCBM based on Axl’s voice the last 5 years should be in this neighborhood 

the people going to shows now and enjoying the show is great! But don’t be surprised when they finally get on a pro shot and sound like shit. The comparison doesn’t have to be 2016, maybe the comparison is just decent singing and at the moment Axl isn’t a decent singer. 

On a side note one of my favorite shows i went to was in 2013. Axl sounded phenomenal. The video may not back it up but it was a great show. So I understand where enjoying a show that’s not perfect may come from, however Axl has been embarrassed by nearly every pro shot released of this band. 

And nearly every 2018 song in comparison to 2016 is going to sound bad. So really I’m comparing a 54 year old to a 56 year old. Right now Axl is nailing 4 songs a night where as 2016 a majority of the set was enjoyable. 

If you want to talk about how great a show was then go to the show thread for that show. We are here talking about his vocals in this thread, so there’s going to be some criticisms 

Did Lemmy stop smoking ever? 

What i find really interesting about the GNR saga since NUGNR in 01/02 is that every time (apart from 2010 to a point) the band toured, Axl's voice was 'worse' in some way yet we now look back and hope for a return to certain 'eras' / styles. The fact is that Axls voice since 1985 has never really remained consistent for any length of time. Variables such as drink/drugs/smoking and 'general wear and tear' of the vocal chords & yes his desire to actually push himself have played a part. Sadly age is now catching up with him, clear to see if you compare AXL 12 years ago in 06 to today. There is no doubt that this has taken its toll but i will stress once again that he can still give a wonderful performance, sounds great and the majority of time you don't notice much difference in the live arena apart from when he really fucks things up (like at donington last week of TIL!)

Good debating with you Sir. ;-)

did Lemmy stop smoking..... doubtful!

Edited by bangit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

And nearly every 2018 song in comparison to 2016 is going to sound bad. So really I’m comparing a 54 year old to a 56 year old. Right now Axl is nailing 4 songs a night where as 2016 a majority of the set was enjoyable. 

I

Let's go

ISE is about the same, Mr.B too

Chinese better now than some of 2016

Jungle 2018 < 2016

DTJ... lol

Better was better but not that far

Estranged similiar

LALD was better a bit

RQ and YCBM was, are and will be full of mickey (some of 2016 had some rasp but..)

CW and TIL.. ok these were better a lot

Other like NR, Knockin, Seeker are pretty much the same exception is My michelle but we don't really know they don't play it now

So difference is not huge, and he is getting better with every show

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Let's go

ISE is about the same, Mr.B too

Chinese better now than some of 2016

Jungle 2018 < 2016

DTJ... lol

Better was better but not that far

Estranged similiar

LALD was better a bit

RQ and YCBM was, are and will be full of mickey (some of 2016 had some rasp but..)

CW and TIL.. ok these were better a lot

Other like NR, Knockin, Seeker are pretty much the same exception is My michelle but we don't really know they don't play it now

So difference is not huge, and he is getting better with every show

I’m not sure why you would argue about this. It’s a night and day difference 

this is a show thread from 2016...not their best show but start on page 17, you can keep reading for 10+ pages on people complimenting Axl’s performance and how he’s nailing everything, how great the band sounds and how this is the best performance yet! I’m literally the most negative person in that thread and I’m getting drowned out by the love people are giving each performance.

Now go read a current concert thread. 3 people think Axl sounds good. And none of em think it’s “incredible” or “the best yet” maybe people are burnt out on the tour or whatever, but truth is if Axl sounded good people will get excited. And this forum is extreamly positive when he’s on point. He hasn’t been there yet this year. 

Not many people agree with me but sometimes I really like his clean voice. Of course I'd like to hear him using rasp like before but shit, I became hardcore-fan after I saw they performing Rocket Queen at RIR 2001. I knew Axl isn't sounding like he's supposed to and I knew it wasn't original line-up but I really loved it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ElectricTear said:

Not many people agree with me but sometimes I really like his clean voice. Of course I'd like to hear him using rasp like before but shit, I became hardcore-fan after I saw they performing Rocket Queen at RIR 2001. I knew Axl isn't sounding like he's supposed to and I knew it wasn't original line-up but I really loved it.

I feel his clean voice peaked around 06

after 1:00 he’s nailing clean note after clean note, I think this was the vocal he was working towards

at :55 here again he’s really good with the clean voice here. When it returned in 2011 his clean vocals were weak and didn’t fit the songs anymore 

• GNFNR 1

I propose a challenge.

Gather some friends. Not hardcore GNR fans, but rock fans, who enjoy and respect GNR even though they have their predilections elsewhere.

Have a generous amount of beers and pop on the LA Forum soundboard- the best recording there is after 2016. Time how long past Jungle they can stomach. Time how long it takes for someone to ask WTF is wrong with Axl.

Any videos of anybody making it to YCBM and I wil shut up about Axl's voice.

Edited by Pedrolg
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I feel his clean voice peaked around 06

after 1:00 he’s nailing clean note after clean note, I think this was the vocal he was working towards

at :55 here again he’s really good with the clean voice here. When it returned in 2011 his clean vocals were weak and didn’t fit the songs anymore 

now that i hear that shit again, he totally was nailing the clean voice with ACDC at times. especially during the arena leg.

14 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Jungle has been fantastic throughout 2016 and even bits of 2017, and it sucks now. For the first time in his career since recording TIL his voice is failing to reach some of the notes and he is switching to a lower voice. For the first time in his career since releasing UYI he is failing to reach notes in the bridge of YCBM, and his voice is reverting back to a low voice, voluntarily or not. His voice cracks and falters whenever he goes high, and he even had a bad Nightrain performance for the first time since god knows when.

Truth.

16 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah.... Thats not true.

2016 was way better than 2017 and especially this year. Appetite songs almost sounded like they did in the old days to me. Stuff like Nightrain, OTGM, My Michelle, etc had immense energy and power. There wad also zero voice cracking and minimal micky for the majority of the rest of the set, too. Some songs like Yesterdays and TWAT were a little rough, but nothing unbearable. He may not have been quite as raspy and powerful as 2010, but he was pretty spot on 

Not to mention the ACDC gigs where he was straight up AFD Axl, surpassing it equating even 2010 Axl

People get older, but its been a big decline in only 2 years. I dont know the reasons, could be age, lack of preparation, fatigue...Idk. The shows are still great. I saw them last year, I still had fun, but its natural to talk about Axls vocals here, since it is a fan forum. For the most part, they are just not comparable to 2016. I havent seen a single consistant 2017 or 2018 show that equates to a single 2016 show vocally. Again, that doesnt mean the tour sucks, it's just my observation based on the vocals.

I wouldnt even rule out improvement. People thought he was done 2011-2014 (sans the last few shows), and he came back with a vengeance in 2016. We will see what happens in the future, at least it seems theres a little improvement since Berlin

Edit- forgive spelling errors, mobile post

he needs a fitness coach ( not a bartender ) , and a vocal coach on tour night after night, 3 -4  months down that way we can see(hear)  a 2010/2006 level.

• Sad 1

When people were shitting on his 2001-2002 vocals I disagreed. They were clean, but with fucking power!

It's So Easy, Brownstone, Democracy & Double Talkin Jive are the only songs he really 'nails' anymore.

In all honesty, the only clips I've watched since torchering my ears with the LA Forum show, have been Shadow and Slither. I really have no interest in anything else, until he gets his shit together.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:29 PM, IncitingChaos said:

The 2018 version sounds weak on the clean vocals and forced on the rasp. In 2016 he could nicely transition between the notes with either voice and they both sounded strong. Now his voice sounds like it's on the verge of a car wreck. 

I honestly think he sounds awful at the moment and it's evident when you compare the shows from 2 years ago.

in the 2018 version on jungle you just hear his voice suck all the energy out of the stadium...it's not good but in 2016 his voice is the energy and I think that's a theme that is becoming obvious, no matter how loud you make the instruments Axl controls the energy and how well a concert is perceived through his vocals

This! This is probably the worst Axl voice ever. Jungle is best proof. Sad for me, cuz Im gonna attend the Chorzow gig. Have no hopes for any changes imho though :(

Edited by lukigol

1 hour ago, lukigol said:

This! This is probably the worst Axl voice ever. Jungle is best proof. Sad for me, cuz Im gonna attend the Chorzow gig. Have no hopes for any changes imho though :(

I'm going to Chorzow too :) and I'm sure that we will have great time there :)

• GNFNR 1

It's obvious. He doesn't prepare. Only difference is this time, he's had 6 months off. Which is why he sounds worse. When he prepares, you get AC/DC level vocals or the first NA leg of this tour, when he doesn't, you get a rusty first few shows with a gradual increase in quality.

It's a shame but he doesn't give a fuck.

If we get a new album he'll sound fantastic, but nothing else, aside from maybe another AC/DC tour will get him off the couch.

The shows are still good in my opinion but he's not even nearly reaching his full potential.

Oh well, he'll probably start sounding good again after another 3 or 4 shows. Shame for people who've bought tickets to the intermediate shows but whatever.

Edited by AlexC

I know this is has probably been discussed to death but here goes.

Axl has obviously changed his singing style over time and with that his voice has changed.

Does anyone know what techniques or voices he uses now a days for different songs?

For example I know there's mixed range, falsetto, head voice, lower range, fry, belting, demon voice etc but just wondering because he does blend it very well when he's having a good night.

Well, noticeable improvement from Axl today. Not perfect, Jungle for some reason still sounds bad after being the highlight of most shows in 2016, but I though Nightrain was fine again, TIL was sung thorughout, the Better bridge had no cracks, the YCBM too. Don't Cry was particularly good with a rare rasp outro. It seems Axl's upper range is better, not cracking and failing anymore. Hopefully he builds on that (and hopefully it isn't due to AC/DC duties popping up in the horizon, but I suspect that with Slash's tour announced).

Edited by Pedrolg

4 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Well, noticeable improvement from Axl today. Not perfect, Jungle for some reason still sounds bad after being the highlight of most shows in 2016, but I though Nightrain was fine again, TIL was sung thorughout, the Better bridge had no cracks, the YCBM too. Don't Cry was particularly good with a rare rasp outro. It seems Axl's upper range is better, not cracking and failing anymore. Hopefully he builds on that (and hopefully it isn't due to AC/DC duties popping up in the horizon, but I suspect that with Slash's tour announced).

I agree, this gig it definitely a noticeable improvement and IMO the best of 2018 so far.  During Nightrain I had a smile on my face hearing Axl killin' it

I wonder at what stage Axl felt content to mail in dreadful performances with no redeeming qualities?? I mean, I just finished listening to RIR 2017 soundboard and he is truly horrendous throughout. Coma is fucking diabolical, from start to finish. Even the gentle part in the middle is weak. You'd think after a performance like that, that Axl would reevaluate keeping the song in the setlist. Either do some serious work to improve it or just drop it. I mean, I feel embarrassed for him. How can he get up there and be okay with sounding like this? I really don't understand it.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I wonder at what stage Axl felt content to mail in dreadful performances with no redeeming qualities?? I mean, I just finished listening to RIR 2017 soundboard and he is truly horrendous throughout. Coma is fucking diabolical, from start to finish. Even the gentle part in the middle is weak. You'd think after a performance like that, that Axl would reevaluate keeping the song in the setlist. Either do some serious work to improve it or just drop it. I mean, I feel embarrassed for him. How can he get up there and be okay with sounding like this? I really don't understand it.

I can only assume that Axl/DC is a real thing and Axl has no desire to make anything of these GNR shows. He knows that all eyes will be on him with ACDC and he’ll be judged on that. So I think he’s just coasting and making sure he’s 100% when this ACDC thing comes into fruition. 

In a year or two time I think we’ll be talking about Axl’s voice being back and how good he is in his late 50’s. This gnr thing is played out to him and the fans at the moment 

On 6/17/2018 at 8:04 AM, TheDemocracyRose said:

Nothing to do with age, weight or too many concerts. Its about training and preparations. With AC/DC he was in rehearsals 3 weeks before the first gig. 

Just watched Houston 16'. Axl should sound like that every night. And wouldn't be a problem with the right preparations...

Exactly it’s not like he did something crazy that wasn’t repeatable in Houston, he just sounded good and still within his current self. 

33 minutes ago, Towelie said:

RIR 2017 is truly dreadful. I remember that day, a couple of friends from out of town were staying over at my house after a party, they are casual fans who enjoy GNR. We were chilling with a few beers when I remembered "oh, GNR should be on soon at RIR, we could turn on the TV and watch it". Everybody was "oh, great idea", "fantastic". It was a massive shit show.

I remember the shock with how much Axl sucked. It was horrendous performance after horrendous performance. He was universally panned by commentators and reporter during the whole thing, and also universally slammed by reviews after the show. Truly attrocious. My friends couldn't sit through it, and me, being a decent host, agreed to stop the suffering. Spotify was used that day.

25 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I can only assume that Axl/DC is a real thing and Axl has no desire to make anything of these GNR shows. He knows that all eyes will be on him with ACDC and he’ll be judged on that. So I think he’s just coasting and making sure he’s 100% when this ACDC thing comes into fruition. 

In a year or two time I think we’ll be talking about Axl’s voice being back and how good he is in his late 50’s. This gnr thing is played out to him and the fans at the moment 

The improvement (as slight as it is) in his voice + Slash's band datas later the year might indicate something with Axl's schedule.