The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

9 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Now, I hear and read everything. 

Axl, not a real vocalist? Wtf is that?

I get what he’s trying to say but Axl will never be denied as a vocalist, he’s one of the most unique vocalist. And when you look at GNR as a whole and how they separated themselves it was quite brilliant. 

Each one is almost a cartoonist character In how they dress and who they were. You take that with Axl’s ability to separate himself vocally, which to my point he is so unique you wouldn’t mistake anyone else for Axl. You take their ability with their characters and you have one of the most marketable bands ever! Plus the coolest band name of all time...these guys killed it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/6/2018 at 3:10 PM, IncitingChaos said:

I can only assume that Axl/DC is a real thing and Axl has no desire to make anything of these GNR shows. He knows that all eyes will be on him with ACDC and he’ll be judged on that. So I think he’s just coasting and making sure he’s 100% when this ACDC thing comes into fruition. 

In a year or two time I think we’ll be talking about Axl’s voice being back and how good he is in his late 50’s. This gnr thing is played out to him and the fans at the moment 

Jaja....I can't wait for AC/DC....will be awesome!!!! But I disagree about phoning in GNR. I think he make a very good effort. 

i always liked Axl’s voice on Gran Torino and even the use of his lower voice on another brick in the wall...it sounds so good on the pro shot and it sounds like Axl where as he gets to the November Rain part and even though it’s a decent performance, he sounds rushed, and the vocals don’t really resemble his. 

22 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

That voice he uses here at the beggining sounds pretty good and non Mickey. He eventually fall into old habits though

I like the effort! If that’s the best he can do then great, but I think we all know if he retooled his voice for this song he could put on a better performance 

On 6/22/2018 at 12:20 AM, IncitingChaos said:

i always liked Axl’s voice on Gran Torino and even the use of his lower voice on another brick in the wall...it sounds so good on the pro shot and it sounds like Axl where as he gets to the November Rain part and even though it’s a decent performance, he sounds rushed, and the vocals don’t really resemble his. 

Gonna quote myself here just to see what you guys think of the voice he uses on Gran Torino (@4:00). It’s one of the most pleasant sounding Axl vocals ive heard. And for it to come from 2012 is great! I know it’s one line, but there’s still a great vocalist in Axl 

Edited by IncitingChaos

36 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Gonna quote myself here just to see what you guys think of the voice he uses on Gran Torino (@4:00). It’s one of the most pleasant sounding Axl vocals ive heard. And for it to come from 2012 is great! I know it’s one line, but there’s still a great vocalist in Axl 

I like it and I also like his voice on Wichita Lineman a lot. I wish Axl did a solo piano/acoustic album like that.

Edited by Blackstar

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I like it a lot. I wish Axl did a solo piano album like that.

Or even an acoustic record! Just not with any mickey vocals, I could thoroughly enjoy Axl singing about anything with that voice on Gran Torino. It’s a perfect range for him as he gets older.  

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

Or even an acoustic record! Just not with any mickey vocals, I could thoroughly enjoy Axl singing about anything with that voice on Gran Torino. It’s a perfect range for him as he gets older.  

Yes. I edited my posted while you quoted me and added acoustic, haha. I also added that I like his voice on Wichita Lineman a lot.

7 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Every time I hear that voice on the first few lines I tune out. Hard for me to appreciate the parts where he does good on. 

I understand. Those first likes are the ones he unabashedly mickeys. Still, he is making some notable improvements from the first few attrocious gigs. His form right now is pretty similar to the late 2016 shows I've been to tbh. Those were very marginally better than this, if better at all. 2016 NA Leg still miles away though (don't even think he will get there tbh. Not in this tour).

I though he had fucked up his voice, but it turns out he was indeed using packed stadium gigs with 300 euro tickets as rehearsals. And his voice did get better after a few shows. You were right :lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

That voice he uses here at the beggining sounds pretty good and non Mickey. He eventually fall into old habits though

The beginning shows that his vocal chords aren't permanently shot. This performance seems to indicate an issue with endurance of producing the rasp. Just from age he can't duplicate the 80s/90s voice exactly but his voice isn't "shot." I think in a recording studio where he can record one line at a time and do multiple takes, he could probably sound pretty good. Not that it's too likely to happen.

Obviously still a very tired voice, but he has limbered up the head voice somewhat and his voice is a little more balanced in the mid zone at the moment and hes certainly giving it all he has, and on some songs he has made huge strides compared to the start. Civil War is much improved for example!

The start of PC reminds me of Hellfest 2012 actually!

I've seen suggestions here he should sing the chorus on Slither with lower key. Fuck no. He should sing it even higher. Like SOYL or AcDc - high. The choruses goes in his upper mid range, his nowadays weak spot. 

Edit* I did just notice that when he sings the first line on the chorus "Heyy, here comes the water.." with the exact same keyes as "my hands are tied" in civil war.

Edited by shootingstar

I guess there's no much to say about: he just needs a vocal coach, re-learn how to sing those songs again and fuckin' prepare to tour. In 2016 he surely had someone to tell him how to do his shit, the """reunion""" thing was too big to leave it to chance.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I dunno... I think he is kicking ass on Slither.. Just watched November Rain and that sounded awesome too.. That stupid piano seat was cheesy as fuck but Axl sang the song like it should be sung.. 

November Rain from where? I wouldn't mind hearing a recent version that sounds decent.

• Like 2