The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

@nikothebellic pointing out that he’s not good on two ACDC tracks is fine. But there needs to be some understanding that these two songs come from Bon’s era. Brian harsh rasp is not the original Axl drew from. He chose to sing these songs in the same style as Bon. 

Dirty Deeds-Brian is the one that made the chorus of “Dirty Deeeds” harsh and louder. Go back and listen to the original. Bon is singing it like it’s a stroll in the park. It’s cool, calm and much softer than the live version from Brian. So that’s how Axl portrayed it. He wasn’t shouting Dirty Deeds, he was singing it in that laid back way Bon would. And he rasped the lines in between like Bon would. Axl’s version of Dirty Deeds is almost spot on to the album version.

TNT- I don’t like how Axl sings TNT, so I may tend to agree with some of what you say here, but again go listen to the original. It’s Bon singing in that calm cool meticulous manner. He has that “who’s going to stop me” attitude. Axl chose to sing it that way. And to be honest he wasn’t as far as people think he was

Axl is pretty spot on with the album version.

So even if you call these songs misses he’s still hitting on 20+ songs a night. Songs like Rock n Roll thunder, RNR Damnation, High Voltage. These are not those fast screaming vocal songs. It takes a lot of control to nail those. And with gnr he’s hitting on 6 songs a night? At best right now. 

Here’s the thing about TNT too..Axl could have sang it in this voice 

Indeed, he does good on AC/DC anyway. Well, I can assume that the whole set is easier to thing and it allows him to save some voice on potentially more "problematic songs". After all, AC/DC's set is shorter than GNR's, maybe that's also a factor. However, correlation between fast or low-temped songs and rasp presence on GNR is absolute positive and consistent.  

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

I’ll add @highvoltage to my post above. 

i thought Axl was fine on Dirty Deeds at the start of the tour too.  

He definately improved in the US leg but coming in singing in replacement of two singers essentially Axl deserved that time to find his rhythm here. 

even though there's some nights that he was not bringing out the rasp, it's way more powerful than what he's doing in Guns N' Roses right now.

11 minutes ago, nikothebellic said:

Indeed, he does good on AC/DC anyway. Well, I can assume that the whole set is easier to thing and it allows him to save some voice on potentially more "problematic songs". After all, AC/DC's set is shorter than GNR's, maybe that's also a factor. However, correlation between fast or low-temped songs and rasp presence on GNR is absolute positive and consistent.  

That rock n roll thunder always stumps people. It’s like “why can’t you always sing like that!” If it was GNR he would have mickeyd the first 6 lines before breaking into rasp on that higher part and it would have that strange difference in sound like he does on Slither with the chorus. 

But to me the biggest difference I’ve heard on ACDC material is Axl is mimicking someone. If it’s a Brian song then it gets rasp, if it’s a Bon song then it’s going to be loud, cool, and you know...Bonish. 

People were mad Axl got picked for the gig but who else is going to find a voice for two singers and be able to pull it off. Most rock singers would have just screamed their asses off for two hours...Axl could bring whatever the song needed but using the blueprint of the original singer to find his voice. With gnr he can sing mickey Bc he wants to sing that way and it’s his stuff...with ACDC I hear the respect factor of playing someone else’s material.

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 3

Do you guys really think Axl is doing any vocal training or even practice? He would surely sound better than he does now if that were the case. Your voice will only deteriorate with use without training.

Edited by Jw224

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

That rock n roll thunder always stumps people. It’s like “why can’t you always sing like that!” If it was GNR he would have mickeyd the first 6 lines before breaking into rasp on that higher part and it would have that strange difference in sound like he does on Slither with the chorus. 

But to me the biggest difference I’ve heard on ACDC material is Axl is mimicking someone. If it’s a Brian song then it gets rasp, if it’s a Bon song then it’s going to be loud, cool, and you know...Bonish. 

People were mad Axl got picked for the gig but who else is going to find a voice for two singers and be able to pull it off. Most rock singers would have just screamed their asses off for two hours...Axl could bring whatever the song needed but using the blueprint of the original singer to find his voice. With gnr he can sing mickey Bc he wants to sing that way and it’s his stuff...with ACDC I hear the respect factor of playing someone else’s material.

Why even discuss this? He was PERFECT in AC/DC.....I'm a Bon girl and hearing Axl doing those Bon's songs like in the albums...made me comeback to GNR (also Slash and Duff helped a lot).

I so want a new AC/DC album and a tour....I hope we hear more about this soon.

34 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Why even discuss this? He was PERFECT in AC/DC.....I'm a Bon girl and hearing Axl doing those Bon's songs like in the albums...made me comeback to GNR (also Slash and Duff helped a lot).

I so want a new AC/DC album and a tour....I hope we hear more about this soon.

I agree! I thought he was brilliant, really unreal the performances he gave. I’ll never take anything away from what he did and I’m in awe because of it. In my post I was discussing with someone what makes him go to that level with ACDC but truly there was no one better for the job 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

Wonder why nobody that has met him has asked him about his clean voice, I'm sure he would give an explanation

He did an interview in 2016 saying he was hoping to clear up his voice (early 2000’s) but fans didn’t really respond to it well. 

14:05

Edited by IncitingChaos

On 2018-06-11 at 8:55 AM, AFGnR said:

TIL, Download 18:

Nashville 16:

..and 2018 again..I like his 90's lower november rain voice partly used half of the verses. This is actually one of the best TIL for a long time.

Still want him to give it up?

Edited by shootingstar

7 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

He did an interview in 2016 saying he was hoping to clear up his voice (early 2000’s) but fans didn’t really respond to it well. 

14:05

Wow he said really interesting stuff between 12:00 and 15:00. I never heard that he played some "new" stuff for Slash and Duff.. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Wow he said really interesting stuff between 12:00 and 15:00. I never heard that he played some "new" stuff for Slash and Duff.. 

And yet here we are two years later and the newest music we hear is a 30 year old demo. 

• Like 1

I think that was a great answer from Axl. Like or hate that clean voice, if he relied on doing pure rasp all the time his voice would be gone by now like so many other aging rockers. The fact he can fall back on that clean voice has probably gave him longevity.

I can't imagine years song like 91 are good for vocal health.

Interestingly, I think he would have gone clean even if this GnR kept around, his 93 vocals were often reasonablly clean, but he was also starting to develop just a hint of that chest dominated rasp he has now...but he stayed predominantly either in that lighter  high rasp region, or deeper natural voice, rarely did he go straight through his passigo like he often does these days.

Everyone also seems to ignore that he moves around CONSTANTLY on stage, still runs (well, jogs) while singing, goes up and down stairs, dances, spins around, and is rarely ever stationary for more than a few seconds for the entire set in his mid 50s. When he's still or seated, he has little problem singing anything, but no one wants Axl Rose standing still in the center of the stage for 3 hours. The voice is going to have to take a hit for over all performance otherwise people would complain about that too.

Edited by Stro
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

..and 2018 again..I like his 90's lower november rain voice partly used half of the verses. This is actually one of the best TIL for a long time.

Still want him to give it up?

I don’t like it. He doesn’t sound good here. It sounded painful. But go back to arlington 2016 and this is how this song should sound, tons of energy, crowd giving him an ovation at 1:10 and that ending after the solo was incredible. It belongs in the set like this. 

On 2018-06-11 at 10:16 PM, ChristmasFnatic said:

I think no one is expecting Axl to sing like the 80s/90s. But maybe if he just shows enough drive like he did with AC/DC. Even if AC/DC songs are made for his voice as some say, why cant he just use the same voice in his own band? Better than Mickey voice for sure.

He does use the same voice in his own band when the tunes are similar to acdc. Nightrain, SOYL, TIL chorus, the higher notes on PC, the stick on YCBM (where he use high pitch rasp) etc. etc.. and he sounds just as good with guns on those notes as he did with acdc.

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don’t like it. He doesn’t sound good here. It sounded painful. But go back to arlington 2016 and this is how this song should sound, tons of energy, crowd giving him an ovation at 1:10 and that ending after the solo was incredible. It belongs in the set like this. 

Yes, I agree that particular 2016 version is better. But isn't that 2018 version sounding like old Axl trying to sing like CD era Axl? He got a much deeper voice on the verses..

Btw, his clean voice fits TIL really well.. actually amazingly well. "And all the love I have inside, I can't denyyyy.." for example is a line that sounds strong but clean at the same time.

Some don't seem to realize that's an improvement he's made from the old era. It's when he's using the same teqnique on lower tunes (like YCBM) it doesn't sound well. 

22 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yes, I agree that particular 2016 version is better. But isn't that 2018 version sounding like old Axl trying to sing like CD era Axl? He got a much deeper voice on the verses..

Btw, his clean voice fits TIL really well.. actually amazingly well. "And all the love I have inside, I can't denyyyy.." for example is a line that sounds strong but clean at the same time.

Some don't seem to realize that's an improvement he's made from the old era. It's when he's using the same teqnique on lower tunes (like YCBM) it doesn't sound well. 

The 2018 version sounds weak on the clean vocals and forced on the rasp. In 2016 he could nicely transition between the notes with either voice and they both sounded strong. Now his voice sounds like it's on the verge of a car wreck. 

I honestly think he sounds awful at the moment and it's evident when you compare the shows from 2 years ago.

in the 2018 version on jungle you just hear his voice suck all the energy out of the stadium...it's not good but in 2016 his voice is the energy and I think that's a theme that is becoming obvious, no matter how loud you make the instruments Axl controls the energy and how well a concert is perceived through his vocals

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

It was awesome to see Axl with Foo Fighters, and while he sounded good (he always does on this song), on the very few parts the song pushes his voice higher and raspy, the cracks were back and noticeable.

I thought that sounded fine :shrugs:

• Like 2