Rate: Slash's playing on NITL vs UYI Tour

Which tour had the best Slash playing?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The arrangements were so much tighter between '87-'93 and I think this helped Slash go to the edge without falling off, and if he did, he could always find his way back pretty quickly.

It's a testament to how good Duff, Izzy/Gilby and Matt were as live musicians, and how well they complimented one another as a band.

The band was tight AF, and this allowed Slash to go balls to the wall without it all falling apart. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SevenMichaels said:

How many SMKC shows have you been to/watched on YouTube? On the basis of that statement, sweet fuck all.

Lol, whatever dude. I attended a SMKC show when they came a couple of years back. Slash was great then, but he is also great now. It's a close call, but he's in a better band and smashing some of the old greats now. You can have your SMKC, i'll have Guns.

I love every performance and all eras but i voted for 'outside Guns' because he really nailed every song. With SMKC he seems to be having more fun and seems excited to be playing.

Has he even joined in with singing the chorus on any songs this tour? Anyway I think he rocks but he rocks that much more with his own band. IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SevenMichaels said:

I wouldn't say he is off his game on this tour whatsoever, he is the star attraction imo and is playing excellently for the most part, I also do not feel he has peaked either as when he returns to SMKC he will step it back up another level, as I feel it is clear he is at his absolute best when performing original material.

He plays original material on this tour

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

I love every performance and all eras but i voted for 'outside Guns' because he really nailed every song. With SMKC he seems to be having more fun and seems excited to be playing.

Has he even joined in with singing the chorus on any songs this tour? Anyway I think he rocks but he rocks that much more with his own band. IMO.

Slash is so cool! i keep finding him in collaborations with like everyone!! he totally rocks  rock4:slash::wub:

• Like 1

I really didn't know which one to vote for... I think his all time best playing was with SMKC... He was just playing out of his damn mind.. He is still kicking ass and the highlight of these NITL shows but his playing seems to have digressed a bit with this band.. They have gotten a bit tighter but I jut don't think there is natural chemistry between him Fortus and Frank and a it shows on some songs more than others.. He is still an absolute beast though that has been carrying this tour on his shoulders.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Lol, whatever dude. I attended a SMKC show when they came a couple of years back. Slash was great then, but he is also great now. It's a close call, but he's in a better band and smashing some of the old greats now. You can have your SMKC, i'll have Guns.

That's your opinion, and that's cool man, I just feel that Slash steps it up that extra gear live with SMKC as he gets to perform his own, new, original material. In terms of a better band, I think if Brent Fitz was on drums in GNR instead of Frank, they'd be a better band, but in terms of the quality of live performances, I think Guns now and SMKC are pretty much on par with each other. Though, of course, I do prefer Guns material.

I think he was far more likely to screw up because of the drugs and drink back in the UYI days, but for whatever reason he seemed to play better than he does now.

The AFD / UYI Slash was more visceral and unhinged, and those bends were on point ?

• Like 1

UYI... I think his tone was a little better, more "smooth" and i can notice that really clear during estranged, plus i never saw him ruining some solos as he's doing now... the yesterdays solo from the apollo show, really don't like his take on TIL, trying to shred and killing the vibe (i know nothing can top the original, and it's not really his song so whatever).

He's awesome as always on the other songs (DTJ really stands out from the others, just pure gold)

• Like 2

I would say in terms of sheer technical ability Slash is at his best now.  The amount of control and chops he has is fantastic plus he KILLS it when he gets to let the reigns loose like in Nightrain or DTJ

Overall though I do this his guitar sounded best during the UYI era (if we are leaving the AFD era out of the discussion of course), but a lot of that was the combination of the specific gear he was using plus that in combination with the style and tones of the other musicians with him in Guns

I think Slash has remained remarkably consistent really. Even if some regard those post-Guns projects as distinctly lacklustre, this is solely down to band personae and vocalist/lyrical matters and nothing to do with Slash himself who, unlike Rose, has never endured any dips in form. There are some massive riffs and terrific solos scattered among those solo albums, stuff like 'Beggars & Hangers-On', 'Serial Killer', 'Anastasia' and (my own personal favourite) 'Ghost'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think Slash has remained remarkably consistent really. Even if some regard those post-Guns projects as distinctly lacklustre, this is solely down to band personae and vocalist/lyrical matters and nothing to do with Slash himself who, unlike Rose, has never endured any dips in form. There are some massive riffs and terrific solos scattered among those solo albums, stuff like 'Beggars & Hangers-On', 'Serial Killer', 'Anastasia' and (my own personal favourite) 'Ghost'.

Well I think the potential conversation here is that *perhaps* Slash has sacrificed some improvisational ability and raw creativity towards his evolution as a technically proficient master of his craft. That perhaps his proficiency has made him a little less unpredictable onstage with his playing. It could even be argued that the lack of alcohol/drugs use has changed his style of playing. Coma was written under a massive drug and alcohol bender. Entrepreneurs these days are using LSD to fuel creativity with starting and running their companies. Perhaps the booze and heroin brought out something totally different with Slash when it came to songwriting?

I'm a fan of punk rock aesthetics so needless to say I prefer the young, wild, unhinged drug fueled Slash of yore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Well I think the potential conversation here is that *perhaps* Slash has sacrificed some improvisational ability and raw creativity towards his evolution as a technically proficient master of his craft. That perhaps his proficiency has made him a little less unpredictable onstage with his playing. It could even be argued that the lack of alcohol/drugs use has changed his style of playing. Coma was written under a massive drug and alcohol bender. Entrepreneurs these days are using LSD to fuel creativity with starting and running their companies. Perhaps the booze and heroin brought out something totally different with Slash when it came to songwriting?

I'm a fan of punk rock aesthetics so needless to say I prefer the young, wild, unhinged drug fueled Slash of yore. 

He was on the piss when he did the first Snakepit and that contains some of his greatest playing.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

He was on the piss when he did the first Snakepit and that contains some of his greatest playing.

Very true. What was your favorite Slash record post- GnR DD?

Edited by RONIN

Just now, RONIN said:

Very true. What was your favorite Slash record out of GnR DD?

Bit of a tie between the first Snakepit and Slash. The first Snakepit has some of his best riffs and solos but Slash has better songs and the different personae make things fun and interesting.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

Very rare for a legend like Slash to continue to take  his playing  to another Level but he has - I seen the appetite era live - Raw in your face -blues based aerosmith on steroids - HE was a wizard at 18 years old -  UYI era put him into the virtuoso stage - he can play anything - blues - thrash - classical  Slash never stayed stale with his playing - the improvs are amazing - his take on his songs extended live were amazing - his whammy bar pyrotechnics were introduced to us fans along this time - he kills it and the wah wah pedal mastery came after afd  albeit MR BROWNSTONE - besides JIMI Hendrix Nobody can express their self with that pedal as great as those two - Slash's tone was mean as fuck - he can kill a voicebox as well - listen to lower on the first snakepit album and anything goes holy shit fat thick and mean as fuck  - afd was a tease to how good Slash was becoming - the riffs on both snakepit records are so fucking jacked - In your face - all great bands have a groove - SLASH has been the groove from day 1 - VR - contraband -  motherfucking Slither - damn perfection - fall to pieces not a band song on the album - groove riffs once again see a pattern the man is a beast - SMKC anastasia - shots fired - withered deliah - wicked stone - beneath the savage sun - up to now- Slash has taken all that I have told YOU  and took it to another level  live on this tour -  The songs are thick as fuck live - his mean ass tone is still there - the tone changes when he switches guitars  after songs - it is all great - he is playing out of his mind right now and 52 years old - he is one of the best guitar players in the world still - he can shred-  he can play the blues - he plays classical - he uses harmonics- he crushes scales- his arpeggios are killer - his vibrato is amazing - the definition of a virtuoso - go to a show I am going again in two weeks in winston salem NC - already seen him in Nashville last year on this tour - and now I have tickets for the Louisville , Ky gig - Slash hasn't lost anything - SLASH is carrying this tour with his playing - SLASH IS PLAYING AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL RIGHT  NOW - if u get the chance go to a gig  do not sit around guess - go and  see it for yourself -the wizard- the cat in the top hat is bringing it everynight - ENJOY IT - he is a master of the six string 

Slash gets a lot of criticism for not being versatile. Some would say that he's a fairly generic player and his solos all sound similar. That he plays only in the pentatonic/blues scale. How would you address that? 

For reference, let's say a guitarist of versatility would be someone like Buckethead who can literally play any style of music.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

UYI, his tone then was just unbelievably good. Personally, just about everything about that tour was better. The slower tempo and arrangements of several of the songs was way better, particularly KOHD.

One of my biggest beefs is the sped up tempo on Estranged and November Rain, absolutely kills these songs for me, along with his weak ass, tinny sounding tone.

Another gripe is the just after the intro acoustic part to Civil War, he use to play it dirty which lead into the main rift and sounded pretty ballsy. Now, he plays that bit acoustic on his double neck and its just weak sounding. Not to mention the Voodoo Chile bits were more natural, not so robotic as someone else put it. Just doesn't feel like his heart and soul is in this band's music anymore.

I miss this tone and melodic playing :(

• Like 2

It's hard to pass too much judgement yet we as have plenty of UYI and solo pro shot stuff (live in Stoke Gaawddamn!). I think a release of the NITL tour is fairly inevitable and we'll have plenty of soundboard stuff to listen to then and he sounds incredible if the Apollo show is anything to go off. Tone wise i feel he sounds a little beefier on rhythm but maybe the lead tone ain't quite at UYI level...again have to wait to hear more shows properly.

From a technical point of view current slash is easily superior to the other eras in my personal opinion. 

I noticed this when I went and watched the conspirators in 2015, he did an epic 14 minute rocket queen and some of the stuff he pulled off that night was wow! 

in saying that. 

My favorite Slash is UYI, the whole image of living fast, the rockstar lifestyle, big crowds, and that whole aura of the band is always going to be my favorite! If I could live a week in anyone's shoes it would have been him and Axl in that time frame! 

Shit...I'm going way off topic here! Haha

Slash during illusions was pretty sloppy at times, but in saying that, the whole band was at times but that's what also drew me to them! They weren't a well oiled machine like they are now! 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 2:52 AM, RONIN said:

@ludurigan brought up an interesting point about Slash noodling a lot on these NITL shows.

Has Slash's improv ability weakened with time even though he's a better technical player now? 

Do you feel that drunk, strung out Slash on UYI was legendary and nothing will compare?

I did happen to notice this "noodling" a bit when he plays "Sorry" and other chinese democracy songs like TIL, Catcher in the Rye, etc. 

Agree/Disagree?

there is one thing that really bothers me from last decade in slash'-s playing (i think he was doing this live with smkc...)

he is playing (or trying hard to play) the GNR solos NOTE FOR NOTE, which is bizarre since he NEVER did this on GNR. he always let loose and did minor and medium and sometimes big improvs on his solos. now he rarely does it (i remember a nightrain amazing improv solo when he broke one string on this tour)

the noodling is even worse, its fucking annoying 

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

Slash gets a lot of criticism for not being versatile. Some would say that he's a fairly generic player and his solos all sound similar. That he plays only in the pentatonic/blues scale. How would you address that? 

For reference, let's say a guitarist of versatility would be someone like Buckethead who can literally play any style of music.

i really donnt care about technique, versatility, advanced skills, none of that shit. cause i have seen too many guitar players who have all that and sound boring, mechanical, etc... bumblefoot and the current axl alien are prime examples of that

all i care about is how good it sounds and how good it makes me feel. having said that, slash from GNR days sounded much better and made me feel much better than slash today