If Slash goes back to SMKC after the tour..

19 minutes ago, annabanana said:

I agree with you ronin. I think not wanting to tamper with their legacy is one of the main reasons. But what is considered their last release ? Uyi 1&2, tsi or cd (which personally for me is a struggle to finish listening to the entire album, just can't find anything good or worth it in it)

AFD, Lies and Illusions. I think TSI is rightfully forgotten since it's a covers album. Even that album seems to be gaining appreciation now long after the grunge movement has faded - a lot of people are seeing it as a mean, stripped down punk covers album that goes back to the AFD sound. It also legitimizes GnR's punk rock roots despite the grunge movement critics attempting to downplay it for decades.

Chinese Democracy has really tarnished the legacy of the band, no doubt. Axl may have been better off never releasing it as Alan Niven once said. However, like TSI, that album is also being reappraised positively in light of NITL.

I think the classic band is frozen in time. By releasing new music, that part of the story could get rewritten if they put out something bad. If they release something great though, it would really solidify their legacy as one of the all time great bands. 

The other potential issue is what to do with the Chinese Democracy backlog. How do Duff and Slash organically insert themselves into all of that completed material? What do they do with the Buckethead compositions which are integral to the sound of those songs? What do they do with the Finck compositions which are of admittedly lesser importance? Can Axl get over his emotional ties to the Chinese material and let go enough to let Duff and Slash overhaul them? Should chinese material be released separately without input from Duff and Slash?

Should they pick up where they left off with the jam tapes from 1996? Should they start over with a clean slate?

There's a potential minefield for them to consider. More importantly - Axl has a very finite timeline as a singer. They don't have much time to put out music when his voice is degrading quickly with age and excessive touring. AC/DC will also have to be dealt with, even before a new GNR record can be considered.

With NITL, the band has been re-established and they've made a lot of money. They can continue to just use GnR as a legacy act and make millions that way. None of this looks promising for new music prospects. There isn't any reason to push forward further unless they're really inspired creatively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

The problem I see with a new Guns album is that it will likely be complicated (it shouldn't be that way but past experience tells us it will be :lol:).

As much as I loved seeing Axl with AC/DC it does give him an easy out, post GNR, where he still gets to be a top of the pile rockstar legend but with much less hassle and pressure. Slash can go back to SMKC and record to his hearts content (no doubt taking much increased exposure for that band with him). Duff will get by as he always has, also with a higher profile, and everyone parts on good terms probably with the option to tour again a few years down the line.

The only unhappy people in this scenario are diehard fans who want new GNR music. It's not clear how much this matters to Axl or indeed how he feels about putting out new music full stop, though arguably the lack of output over long periods is suggestive of it being problematic for whatever variety of reasons.

I totally get what what saying but I just don't think that much thought has been put into it. I think Axl's proven he just doesn't have any interest in releasing new music. 

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

AFD, Lies and Illusions. I think TSI is rightfully forgotten since it's a covers album. Even that album seems to be gaining appreciation now long after the grunge movement has faded - a lot of people are seeing it as a mean, stripped down punk covers album that goes back to the AFD sound. It also legitimizes GnR's punk rock roots despite the grunge movement critics attempting to downplay it for decades.

Chinese Democracy has really tarnished the legacy of the band, no doubt. Axl may have been better off never releasing it as Alan Niven once said. However, like TSI, that album is also being reappraised positively in light of NITL.

I think the classic band is frozen in time. By releasing new music, that part of the story could get rewritten if they put out something bad. If they release something great though, it would really solidify their legacy as one of the all time great bands. 

The other potential issue is what to do with the Chinese Democracy backlog. How do Duff and Slash organically insert themselves into all of that completed material? What do they do with the Buckethead compositions which are integral to the sound of those songs? What do they do with the Finck compositions which are of admittedly lesser importance? Can Axl get over his emotional ties to the Chinese material and let go enough to let Duff and Slash overhaul them? Should chinese material be released separately without input from Duff and Slash?

Should they pick up where they left off with the jam tapes from 1996? Should they start over with a clean slate?

There's a potential minefield for them to consider. More importantly - Axl has a very finite timeline as a singer. They don't have much time to put out music when his voice is degrading quickly with age and excessive touring. AC/DC will also have to be dealt with, even before a new GNR record can be considered.

With NITL, the band has been re-established and they've made a lot of money. They can continue to just use GnR as a legacy act and make millions that way. None of this looks promising for new music prospects. There isn't any reason to push forward further unless they're really inspired creatively.

Great post, think I'm gonna link to this anytime anyone asks why I think new music isnt a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

IDK??? All this Slash and Myles talk sounds good on paper, but what's the reality? I'm not trying to diminish their partnership/band/or music they already made, but honestly what's the draw at this point? Sure die hards that post on forums will talk about wanting another record/tour out of them, but what about the general public? I just don't see much of an appeal to see Slash with THAT band after seeing him in gnr. Nor will the average person want to hear Myles sing Guns songs after getting the REAL deal for 2 years. 

Honestly guys, what manager/music exec/ insider or what not is going to say to Slash "Lets go back to opening for Alice Cooper or Aerosmith and make a lot less money or go play 5 thousand seat theaters and make even less money". 

I'm not saying Slash doesn't want to do another Conspiritors album or do another tour with them, because he might very well want to, he seems pretty loyal to them. I just feel it's not a smart move, especially financially. I really do feel that this guns reunion has killed any momentum and demand that The Conspiritors, Loaded, and Nugnr had. I feel the general public would care LESS about them, not more. Axl can go and do ACDC, because they are a HUGE band, but that's the only one I see at this point. Even that, while being fun, has an expiration date as well. This reunion I feel has created a specific demand for Axl, Slash, and Duff and if they want to remain on top, it's guns n roses or bust now imo. Now if they decided to retire gnr, that's different. But I think they are having to much fun to do that at this point. 

I just don't see any real potential for another Conspiritors album at this point folks. I don't see it getting any radio traction, or general public interest. Not now, not after seeing Guns n Roses. It's like eating your favorite meal and favorite dessert, then going home and making a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, feels like a let down.

Slash earned enough for 3 lifetimes the last 2 years. It's not about money now anymore with his solo band, it's about being creative and actually putting out music. I for one don't feel it a let down, mostly because I'm not feeling Fortus Melissa and Frank would make for a good gnr record. And chances are Slash does too.

I'd rather wait and have them write with Izzy instead of staying with this clusterfuck band with 2 keyboardists. Good line up to tour (except for Frank) but write music? Yeah no, it could be so much more. Why settle for less when the Izzy issue could be so easily settled

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Slash earned enough for 3 lifetimes the last 2 years. It's not about money now anymore with his solo band, it's about being creative and actually putting out music. I for one don't feel it a let down, mostly because I'm not feeling Fortus Melissa and Frank would make for a good gnr record. And chances are Slash does too.

I'd rather wait and have them write with Izzy instead of staying with this clusterfuck band with 2 keyboardists. Good line up to tour (except for Frank) but write music? Yeah no, it could be so much more. Why settle for less when the Izzy issue could be so easily settled

While I agree Slash has earned TONS of money the last 2 years, you are forgetting one big thing... his ego. How many legendary musicians do you see opening up for bigger acts constantly? Not very often. Sure you might see a one or two show type thing (like zz top opening for guns in texas), but they can also go and play by themselves easily. The Conspiritors never achieved that, not to the level I'm talking. You won't see Mick Jagger open for The Who. Why? It's an ego thing. Slash has officially reclaimed his title as the best rock guitarist in the world by being back in guns, he couldn't do that on his own, he tried, but it wasn't working out. Sure he had some success, but I view it more as "I need to work to make money" type of thing. Same with Axl in Nugnr, he had to tour every so often in order to make some money in order to keep up his lifestyle. Now that money isn't much of an issue anymore, why go back to playing second fiddle to Joe Perry (by opening for aerosmith), when you are the man in guns? Its a whole different vibe being the opening act vs the headliner. 

Could he do it as a straight act of love? Absolutely, I'm not denying this possibility. But if you don't have to, why do it? Why play junior varsity sports when you could star on varsity? It's just not logical imo. 

Could Slash feel like he owes Myles and the rest one more album/tour? Perhaps, and that might be the reason it does happen, IF it indeed does. I just don't see any indications that he had MORE fun playing with them than he does with Guns, honestly from my eyes, he IS having more fun playing with Guns, and the reasons I mentioned could be part of it. Also lets not forget, the supposed next Conspiritors album keeps getting pushed back. Why do you think that is? Could it be that he is considering making some of those songs Guns songs now??? Maybe? Only time will tell.

As for your Izzy comments, while I don't disagree with you in certain aspects, I don't completely agree either. I loved guns in 1992, and Izzy wasn't there then. So I'm not going to beg for him now.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

That being said, at the end of the massive stadium UYI tour, the first thing he did is form a blues rock band to play clubs. And then a smaller blues covers band to play even smaller clubs. It is not uncharted territory for him to scale it down after a massive tour. Not to mention he's already developed a 3 disc solo discography to draw from. Nobody would work that hard for that long developing that much material and then completely forget about it. 

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 2

I like the albums he did with SMKC, but lets be honest... That thing only existed because he couldnt be in GNR, World on Fire is an album meant to be sing by Axl and if Slash could do an album that good out of GNR and actually be on the charts, I can just imagine what an actual GNR album could do. 

Every now and then we get a little surprise and rock n roll gets to shine again, GNR has proved it can reestabilish a lot of peoples faith in the genre, maybe if they release an album as good as a mix of World on Fire and CD, we'll see the genre shining again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

While I agree Slash has earned TONS of money the last 2 years, you are forgetting one big thing... his ego. How many legendary musicians do you see opening up for bigger acts constantly? Not very often. Sure you might see a one or two show type thing (like zz top opening for guns in texas), but they can also go and play by themselves easily. The Conspiritors never achieved that, not to the level I'm talking. You won't see Mick Jagger open for The Who. Why? It's an ego thing. Slash has officially reclaimed his title as the best rock guitarist in the world by being back in guns, he couldn't do that on his own, he tried, but it wasn't working out. Sure he had some success, but I view it more as "I need to work to make money" type of thing. Same with Axl in Nugnr, he had to tour every so often in order to make some money in order to keep up his lifestyle. Now that money isn't much of an issue anymore, why go back to playing second fiddle to Joe Perry (by opening for aerosmith), when you are the man in guns? Its a whole different vibe being the opening act vs the headliner. 

Could he do it as a straight act of love? Absolutely, I'm not denying this possibility. But if you don't have to, why do it? Why play junior varsity sports when you could star on varsity? It's just not logical imo. 

Could Slash feel like he owes Myles and the rest one more album/tour? Perhaps, and that might be the reason it does happen, IF it indeed does. I just don't see any indications that he had MORE fun playing with them than he does with Guns, honestly from my eyes, he IS having more fun playing with Guns, and the reasons I mentioned could be part of it. Also lets not forget, the supposed next Conspiritors album keeps getting pushed back. Why do you think that is? Could it be that he is considering making some of those songs Guns songs now??? Maybe? Only time will tell.

As for your Izzy comments, while I don't disagree with you in certain aspects, I don't completely agree either. I loved guns in 1992, and Izzy wasn't there then. So I'm not going to beg for him now.

I think the only possibilty for Slash going back doing solo stuff is if Axl doesn't want to record or do anything Guns related for the next 2 years or so. I totaly agree that this would be a dumb move as they should use the monumentum from this tour to release at least SOMETHING together - apart fromt the question who would be involved, a collaboration of Axl/Slash/Duff would be much better than a Slash solo record that's for sure.

Never liked Myles as a singer - now after seeing Guns again I totaly lost all interest...

Here is my take - GUNS will record a new album for certain - Slash will make a SMKC album and tour in 2018 - guns take a break till September or later and release a new record in summer 2019 - SMKC will tour through 2018 - SLASH-DUFF-AXL -will release a new record in the spring or summer  of 2019 - and then its on again a new record and new tour - exciting times to be a SLASH fan 

4 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

IDK??? All this Slash and Myles talk sounds good on paper, but what's the reality? I'm not trying to diminish their partnership/band/or music they already made, but honestly what's the draw at this point? Sure die hards that post on forums will talk about wanting another record/tour out of them, but what about the general public? I just don't see much of an appeal to see Slash with THAT band after seeing him in gnr. Nor will the average person want to hear Myles sing Guns songs after getting the REAL deal for 2 years. 

Honestly guys, what manager/music exec/ insider or what not is going to say to Slash "Lets go back to opening for Alice Cooper or Aerosmith and make a lot less money or go play 5 thousand seat theaters and make even less money". 

I'm not saying Slash doesn't want to do another Conspiritors album or do another tour with them, because he might very well want to, he seems pretty loyal to them. I just feel it's not a smart move, especially financially. I really do feel that this guns reunion has killed any momentum and demand that The Conspiritors, Loaded, and Nugnr had. I feel the general public would care LESS about them, not more. Axl can go and do ACDC, because they are a HUGE band, but that's the only one I see at this point. Even that, while being fun, has an expiration date as well. This reunion I feel has created a specific demand for Axl, Slash, and Duff and if they want to remain on top, it's guns n roses or bust now imo. Now if they decided to retire gnr, that's different. But I think they are having to much fun to do that at this point. 

I just don't see any real potential for another Conspiritors album at this point folks. I don't see it getting any radio traction, or general public interest. Not now, not after seeing Guns n Roses. It's like eating your favorite meal and favorite dessert, then going home and making a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, feels like a let down.

Actually it's very simple. If Axl does this DC tour Slash has enough time. He has a complete album ready to record. Why not release it?

Even if it's just about money (though I don't believe it's the case)... releasing a record and touring is way more profitable than just sitting home and waiting for your lead singer to come home from a world tour.

Besides, Slash has such a big back catalogue, he doesn't need to play GNR songs on his tour. SMKC, VR, Snakepit, Slash... there's enough stuff people whould kill to hear.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Actually it's very simple. If Axl does this DC tour Slash has enough time. He has a complete album ready to record. Why not release it?

Even if it's just about money (though I don't believe it's the case)... releasing a record and touring is way more profitable than just sitting home and waiting for your lead singer to come home from a world tour.

Besides, Slash has such a big back catalogue, he doesn't need to play GNR songs on his tour. SMKC, VR, Snakepit, Slash... there's enough stuff people whould kill to hear.

I disagree with that last statement. Slash cannot go out and not do at least a few Guns songs. He has released a lot of stuff on his own, but he'll always be known as the guitarist in Gn'R, and thats what sells. Unless people are die hard fans, they probably dont know a ton of his solo stuff. He played a 1500 seater last time he played here in Chicago and sold it out a day before. That may not matter to him, but if he had a handful of solo hits, he wouldn't struggle to fill theaters in the States. It sure seems like he and Axl are having fun on stage, and I can't see this band just shutting the door once the tour is over. Its too much of a money maker, and that matters no matter how much he has in his bank account. I can see Slash doing another solo album and tour in his free time, but I can't see him not going back to work with Guns unless Axl indeed does want to call it quits. I can absolutely see them recording and releasing at least an ep or small group of songs for a compilation. 

Edited by GoBucky

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

This post completely shifted my view of Slash's plans after this tour. I originally thought he would do SMKC after but I never thought of it that way that it'd be almost degrading to his image. As a rebuttal however, Slash may return to SMKC because that's where he can actually release new material. Slash doesn't like to go long without new material and Guns n' Roses in it's current state isn't necessarily the best place to stay if you're interested in being creative (just ask bumblefoot). Plus with Rose as the hypothetical leader he may not have the control he usually pertains himself to. Slash likes to create, so he may shift back to SMKC for that reason. 

This whole topic will also show us how close Axl und Slash are again - if axl feels pressured by slash to do sth creative or else he will leave with SMKC this might generate some new conflicts again. On the other hand slash could use his power as a GnR album withouth him would make no sense at all - but we all know what happens if someone is pressuring Mr Rose for sth...

The worst thing would be Axl going back to AC/DC which would result in slash going also solo again - AXL/DC is just a major waste of time - nearly no creative input from axl on any material so it wouldn't make any sense - I really loved the live show last year (although I'm not a big ACDC fan) but for me it was great because I saw it as a once in a lifetime combination I would never see again. (and I don't want to see it again to be honest ;) )

23 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

I disagree with that last statement. Slash cannot go out and not do at least a few Guns songs. He has released a lot of stuff on his own, but he'll always be known as the guitarist in Gn'R, and thats what sells. Unless people are die hard fans, they probably dont know a ton of his solo stuff. He played a 1500 seater last time he played here in Chicago and sold it out a day before. That may not matter to him, but if he had a handful of solo hits, he wouldn't struggle to fill theaters in the States. It sure seems like he and Axl are having fun on stage, and I can't see this band just shutting the door once the tour is over. Its too much of a money maker, and that matters no matter how much he has in his bank account. I can see Slash doing another solo album and tour in his free time, but I can't see him not going back to work with Guns unless Axl indeed does want to call it quits. I can absolutely see them recording and releasing at least an ep or small group of songs for a compilation. 

He played in front of 15000 people in Europe in some locations. Not every market is as bad as the US market for rockmusic.

And I don't think anybody would mind if he's doing two or three Guns songs in a two hour show, but he shouldn't play mainly GNR tunes on his own shows after the NITL tour. Even if that means playing in front of a smaller crowd. He still can play stadiums with Guns.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moreblack said:

True, I remember SMK&C playing some of the same venues in South America that Axl's band was playing.

During that time SMKC profited a lot from the fact that NuGNR have been struggeling a lot and Axl also gave some poor performances. During that time the comon understanding has been that this was the closest thing you can get to GnR  - just remember the endless discussions here on this forum who of both singers performed the classics better. Thank god these times are over - Slash solo  will never play in front of such hugh crowds again.

I rember the crowd in vienna (also 10.000+) just sang along to the gnr classic and didn't even know slash solo songs - reminded me a lot of nuGNR playing CD songs

The way I see it: Slash (& Duff) are gonna be all pumped up after the NITLT tour finishes and are going to put out some great music (not Gn'R of course) by cooperating between themselves and others. Axl will probably just take a year off resting his voice and in 2019 will probably start thinking about touring again with AXL/DC.

Can't see anything happening with Axl & Gn'R before 2020/21...

Edited by trqster
typo
  • Like 1