Are the shows to long ?

Hey people, i think that the shows wich guns are playing are way to long. 3h and longer, i think that is to much. I also have to say that i hate all the solos from slash, it is super enoying for me. I just watched the 2017 rir show again, without all the solos the show would just last two houers. How are your thogtes? 

• Haha 1

you know, i was ready to bury this thread down to flames, but when i think of it, yeah the shows are a tad too long.

it's not until you're actually there, and you've stood at the second row for pretty much 9 hours straight even before the show started, and you barely would dare to leave your spot to even take a dump, and the fatigue and famine kicks in before the first song, and from then on you're giving it your all as a good GNR fan, that it invariably hits you, hits you HARD, by the time nightrain is finally played.

took me two days of recovering man

Edited by action
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Not too long, no.  As mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing most of the covers dropped for deep UYI cuts, but ultimately I'd rather see 'em playing *something* rather than *nothing*.

Actually... in it's current form if nothing else were to change, I wouldn't mind if the show were a few minutes shorter - the soloing and farting around in the middle of Rocket Queen is criminal and needs to go.

• Like 1

YES!!!

Cut out - Wish you Were HERE, KOHD in half, Black hole sun, Rocket queen in half, Seeker, Layla intro, half CD songs - lets leave it at 3!

You got yourself a 40min less.

Fantastic show of 2:40h... 

Add to that Pretty Tied up, OTGM, Think About  You and end it on a high!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

It's not the length to me itself as much as it is too many of the slower/ballad type songs for pacing. 

I mean you put like "This I love", "November Rain", "Estranged", "Patience", "Don't Cry" , "Catcher in the Rye/There Was A Time/Prostitute" (all songs i love but they are slow) 

Then you add to that very long versions of KOHD, then add in that most of the covers are also slow numbers such as the Layla Outro, Wish You Were Here, Lineman etc....

Alone each one of them is a cool song but together in that order well it's just a lot of slow tempo ballad type songs in a row. 

Myself I would either shorten it, or if keeping those songs, add in a few faster numbers in between them to pick up the energy at bit, particularly the section before PC often has a long passage of slow stuff in a row.

Edited by Chunder Monkey

I love Knockin on heavens door and the 2nd night at MetLife was a special rendition , it was something else . I fully agree the crowd chiming in is painful and drags the show down. It's just Axl wishing he was Freddie so you let it go and enjoy the rest of the song 

I think it is awesome that they play 3 1/2 hours.  They always did it back in the day..  It was a great 3 1/2 hours in Vegas and last summer in Foxboro... The setlist have shifted since though. The show in Boston a couple weeks ago was good but it did kind of drag at times and for me personally it was due to the set list.. 5 CD songs for me was too much.. I never did like the song Black hole Sun so seeing them do it does nothing for me. I could care less about watching Fortus solo so Wish You Were here is tired.... I love long jams and songs so I don't mind the long Rocket Queens ans KOHD.. I just don't necessarily thing this line up is great at them.. I could watch SMKC play Rocket Queen for 30 minutes and get off the whole time.  The big killer was the encore.. CD song into Patience.. Patience is great but kind of slow for an encore.. Then into another CD song... 

I love Slash's solo spot though.. Everyone seems to be pretty blown away by Slash in general.. I would never want to see that go.

But I don't think 3 1/2 hours is the issue.. When it is going good, that time goes by like nothing. 

I never really saw any complaints about the show length until the last few weeks when they started saturating the set with CD songs and more covers.  Prior to that most people thought it was cool as hell that they played so long. Slash, Duff and Axl didn't even record over a 3rd of the music played each night together. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

KOHD has always been the momentum killer in any given GN'R show. The crowd singing part - uggh! You know it will still be around five minutes later: ''knock knock knockin' on heaven's dawawa - make this one loud''. 

I am not the biggest fan of this lineups version but the crowd always seems to be very into it. That goes for now and back in the day.. It is a huge crowd pleaser.. 

''I sing one, then you sing one''; ''everybody sing''. ''make this one loud''.

The reason I am buying the ticket is because I am paying them to sing the sodden song for me. If I knew I was expected to sing it I would've have stayed at home and sung it in the shower free-of-charge.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

''I sing one, then you sing one''; ''everybody sing''. ''make this one loud''.

The reason I am buying the ticket is because I am paying them to sing the sodden song for me. If I knew I was expected to sing it I would've have stayed at home and sung it in the shower free-of-charge.

You don't have to sing.. 99% of the crowd will pick up your slack ;)