The real reason why I don't believe GNR will ever release another album

1 hour ago, soon said:

The three just need one thing to make it work.  Metallica's coach from Some Kind of Monster:

1DSklMoh.jpg  He rocks hard 

dU6WFl4h.jpg  He contributes lyrics

XkYgz7Xl.jpg   He's cool AF

sbgV0nQh.jpg  Hes a good hang

Out of all the performance enhancing coaches in the world, this is one of em.'  Ladies and gentlemen, from San Fransisco; Phil, f'n Towle !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha this is a really, really good post.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, soon said:

hahaha!  Im not so sure about that part! He's the coach Metallica had in the documentary Some Kinda Monster.  He was a bit of a character in it.

I see. I'm not too sure Axl does well with professionals , he made them all run away. 

My opinion is no new music will be forthcoming because slash can write the idea of his parts but Izzy would be required to guide slash or provide him with something to work from . Slash even had Izzy come write the velvet revolver stuff then double crossed Izzy. Duff needs pockets to inject a little of his flavor but someone needs to create the pockets . Ferrer? Fortus has some sauce in him. 

Axl can write some good lyrics but it was mainly Izzy . I think Axl can put out another solo album but a GnR album? Not without the 5 all being there and then adding in the coach and other musicians of that's what they want . 

I think Axl's and Slash's reunion and this successful tour could push them (or push Axl) to give it a try. They would be stupid if they don't even try it. It's their only chance to keep playing stadiums around the world, otherwise they'll turn into a theater band or a Las Vegas act again sooner or later.

Of course it's all up to Axl. He has to have a lot of trust in Slash and Duff to stay off his habits when it comes to writing and recording. Slash should know that he won't be the main or the sole songwriter like in his solo projects. But I think he's aware of this and more than capable.

Axl has to release anything in a very long time but circumstances are different now. Even if it's not very realistic, it's possible and I still have hope for a new record featuring Axl, Slash and Duff.

Who had thought they would reunite some day? I certainly not! But they did, so never say never. The foundation stone was laid.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pishy said:

I see. I'm not too sure Axl does well with professionals , he made them all run away. 

My opinion is no new music will be forthcoming because slash can write the idea of his parts but Izzy would be required to guide slash or provide him with something to work from . Slash even had Izzy come write the velvet revolver stuff then double crossed Izzy. Duff needs pockets to inject a little of his flavor but someone needs to create the pockets . Ferrer? Fortus has some sauce in him. 

Axl can write some good lyrics but it was mainly Izzy . I think Axl can put out another solo album but a GnR album? Not without the 5 all being there and then adding in the coach and other musicians of that's what they want . 

Very true about Axl, but Id say lately he is maybe?  Phil is a weirdo so maybe would appeal.  But I was just kidding; the whole premise of Phils role in the Some Kinda Monster thing is rather absurd imo.  Equally absurd is that he probably would in fact be a great asset to making a new Guns album.

Thats an interesting angle about Slash using Izzy for VR.  Dont think Id considered it that way before.  So true about Duff - he's incredible on Guns stuff - just needs that groove.  No, Frank will never, ever be that for him.  Fortus hasn't penned anything that Ive heard that moves me, but he's certainly well prepared to emulate what a Guns rhythm part should be by now.

I dont think newly written music is forthcoming, but maybe CDII with Slash, Duff and Reese?  (thing that would be deleted about alleged recent events in GNR community said here)

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Very true about Axl, but Id say lately he is maybe?  Phil is a weirdo so maybe would appeal.  But I was just kidding; the whole premise of Phils role in the Some Kinda Monster thing is rather absurd imo.  Equally absurd is that he probably would in fact be a great asset to making a new Guns album.

Thats an interesting angle about Slash using Izzy for VR.  Dont think Id considered it that way before.  So true about Duff - he's incredible on Guns stuff - just needs that groove.  No, Frank will never, ever be that for him.  Fortus hasn't penned anything that Ive heard that moves me, but he's certainly well prepared to emulate what a Guns rhythm part should be by now.

I dont think newly written music is forthcoming, but maybe CDII with Slash, Duff and Reese?  (thing that would be deleted about alleged recent events in GNR community said here)

But it's funny and almost perfect for Axl, axl buys into all these gimmicks thinking all the gymnastics will catapault him into the zone to create. it's all stalling tactics and some weird attempt at assuaging anxieties because these charlatans provide endless positive feedback. 

I read part of the CD insert here on this forum just some days ago , my god it was painful, his politics are abysmal , but I skimmed down and he was gushing how the nanny endured such hardships and pain in creating the album. The guy is unhinged. All he means is he used someone as a receptacle to hammer out his angst because he couldn't write without his old friends and band mates. 

Jesus, this thing isn't going to get off the ground , lol!

No, no , no , on the Reese. Axl brought her in to take care of his CD songs on tour and have another person on his imaginary team. But it's clear to me , she is not into rock , it's all so performative with her , trying hard to appear she is in to it . She can at least hire a coach to learn to stay with the rhythm, Axl is Nijinsky compared to Reese. 

When her voice came through at the shows , I felt ill. 

Edited by Pishy

13 hours ago, Pishy said:

But it's funny and almost perfect for Axl, axl buys into all these gimmicks thinking all the gymnastics will catapault him into the zone to create. it's all stalling tactics and some weird attempt at assuaging anxieties because these charlatans provide endless positive feedback. 

I read part of the CD insert here on this forum just some days ago , my god it was painful, his politics are abysmal , but I skimmed down and he was gushing how the nanny endured such hardships and pain in creating the album. The guy is unhinged. All he means is he used someone as a receptacle to hammer out his angst because he couldn't write without his old friends and band mates. 

Jesus, this thing isn't going to get off the ground , lol!

This is no doubt an accurate assessment of Axl, as painful as it is to admit.  Or who he was until more recently maybe?  Yeah, I think Axl would go for the performance enhancing coach thing.  And he might be the one to finally send Phil running, haha.  Axl starts living religiously by the teachings of Phil until Phil is finally like "no, stop this nonsense - everything I said is BS!" lol

13 hours ago, Pishy said:

No, no , no , on the Reese. Axl brought her in to take care of his CD songs on tour and have another person on his imaginary team. But it's clear to me , she is not into rock , it's all so performative with her , trying hard to appear she is in to it . She can at least hire a coach to learn to stay with the rhythm, Axl is Nijinsky compared to Reese. 

When her voice came through at the shows , I felt ill. 

Hahaha, it really is as if she was instructed to dance but had never seen dancing or had it explained to her - a totally alien concept.  The whole Melissa thing is you either laugh or you'll cry, for me.  

I dont think we get any new recordings, but if we do Id bet its CDII, so Reese would maybe redo or add to Pitman? That being said I still remember when in 2015 Fortus announced they were working on Slash material - this was before regrouping was announced, so hopefully its new stuff.  Also, the clip known as Jackie Chan/Checkmate would make such a perfect single imo.

Sorry to say, and I hope it doesn't make you feel ill, but I actually like her backing vocals and even think it would be smart to get them on the record.  Im sure this is not a popular opinion, haha!

I don't really think they will come out with an album but I think that is the only way they ever tour again. Honestly the band doesn't have enough albums to play the 3.5 hour show without playing a ton of deep cuts. They were able to tour very successfully on nostalgia but I could look around and a ton of people who went didn't know over half the songs. Yes there are plenty of hardcore fans who love deeper cuts but the money isn't there, it's the casual fan. Guns needs a few more chart toppers to be able to pull this off again. Play the hits, a few brand new ones that have some hits, and a few deep cuts each concert. It would be the Axl, Slash, Duff show.  For the life of me I couldn't see how they couldn't figure out how to come out with 10-12 new songs with a good driving bass part, some guns sounding rythym, a catchy rock hook/chorus with a few verses and every song having a slash guitar solo. Honestly have been in bands and if these guys want the money it would be easy and honestly very formulaic. Doesn't have to be a true work of art but just have some very radio friendly hard rocking hits with awesome guitar solos and plenty of Axl screams etc. That would buy them a new platinum album and a new Stadium tour.

17 hours ago, Towelie said:

I don't see Slash agreeing to being part of a GNR album that features Buckethead, Finck or Bumblefoot on lead guitar duties. It would be Slash being the one to go out and perform these songs live, so at the very least, I imagine he would expect to be playing lead on every track, including any CD-era music.

Very true, which is a shame in my opinion. I'd love to hear how those tunes were originally, although you could even say that for a lot of the stuff on Chinese too. Another stumbling block would be anything Pitman had a hand in writing to prevent him from getting any royalties.

18 hours ago, Towelie said:

There is just no way new music would work with the current lineup.

Would Slash just roll over and be happy to let Axl call all the shots musically? Cuz there's no way Axl would be like Myles and record an entire album consisting of whatever riffs Slash comes up with, just adding some lyrics/melody lines on top.

Axl co-produced the entire Chinese Democracy album and he even edited and sliced up guitar solos to satisfy some kind of Frankenstein-esque vision he had for the songs. This is worlds away from how Slash operates and how the original band came up with songs. 

I really don't see Axl going back to a more traditional band-jamming approach, which is why I don't think it's likely we'll ever see a full Guns album from Axl/Slash ever again.

Frankenstein-esque guitar solos... Listen to 90% of records and you'll find that this is completely normal. I like the intro kick from take 1, the middle of take 2 and the end of take 3 etc, etc.

Just because that's how Axl worked on Chinese, that doesn't mean that's his way for every possible future album. It's just as likely he'll do the same as CD, as it is that they'll go in and cut an album on the floor. Different albums, have different creative processes.

Finally, look at the liner notes on CD again. He is obviously open to collaboration and working on people's ideas, as he's always been. He's not going to give total creative power to Slash or anyone, but it will definitely be a creative group process if they make a 'new' record... If they release CD II, well that creative process happened before Slash and Duff. 

57 minutes ago, Bigtater said:

I don't really think they will come out with an album but I think that is the only way they ever tour again. Honestly the band doesn't have enough albums to play the 3.5 hour show without playing a ton of deep cuts. They were able to tour very successfully on nostalgia but I could look around and a ton of people who went didn't know over half the songs. Yes there are plenty of hardcore fans who love deeper cuts but the money isn't there, it's the casual fan. Guns needs a few more chart toppers to be able to pull this off again. Play the hits, a few brand new ones that have some hits, and a few deep cuts each concert. It would be the Axl, Slash, Duff show.  For the life of me I couldn't see how they couldn't figure out how to come out with 10-12 new songs with a good driving bass part, some guns sounding rythym, a catchy rock hook/chorus with a few verses and every song having a slash guitar solo. Honestly have been in bands and if these guys want the money it would be easy and honestly very formulaic. Doesn't have to be a true work of art but just have some very radio friendly hard rocking hits with awesome guitar solos and plenty of Axl screams etc. That would buy them a new platinum album and a new Stadium tour.

That's the exact opposite way that Axl thinks. He doesn't care for chart success, and he won't be chasing it with GNR. He obviously wants to sell records, but he's always said he doesn't want to recreate the past. 

They can create new music with some old trademarks, hooky vocals, and add some new surprises, not make it formulaic and still get people interested.

The first song they release off a new record will definitely get radio play, 'the first new gnr song with Slash in 25yrs' the second song will entirely depend on how good, and how successful the first one was.

I know they hat is the opposite of the way Axl thinks, though if he did it he would have Guns N' Roses riding high for a new stadium tour. Put out similar stuff to velvet revolver some hooky vocals etc. 

Basically he could ride the nitl wave to a new melodic guitar hard rock album with some hooky stuff and if he makes that the first two singles they will ride the top band in the world thing to playing all of the late night shows etc.

Do you want me to offer you an out-of-the-box explanation?

Guns N' Roses created the songs that STAND the test of time! That is their problem. They are transcendent!

Those songs were great back then, they are great now, will be great in 100 years...

When you create something that's inexhaustible and still draws fans in masses throughout different times/eras - than the artist absorbs the fans' perspective...

That's their problem - too many great songs...

I'm surprisingly less pessimistic for once... If Axl can go on tour for 1,5 year without causing drama and being on time every night, then why wouldn't he be able to write some songs with Slash again? I don't think there will be new music any time soon, but I don't think it's out of the question.

• Like 1

I'm sure they'll release new music at some point. An album that mostly consists of CD 2 songs, but with some new songs written by Slash and Duff and maybe even some leftover songs from the nineties. Slash just plays some new guitar solos on top of the CD2 songs. Axl might have his own suggestions to how he wants the guitar solos to sound like, but they'll all do some compromises here and there. 

They've grown up, I'm sure they can work it out.

2 hours ago, passenger57 said:

Honestly, I just don't understand why they can't record at least one single new song?

There are plenty of relevant topics these days to write about. Write something for hurricane relief - make it for charity at least. Just... something.

This is not the problem, a composer can be inspired by anything and create from thin air, im 100000% sure Axl still can do it, problem is he doesnt want to share, doesnt feel the need for it and at the time he felt it, his insecurity didnt let him do it along with label problems, etc and that probably hurt him more. Something seems to have changed after Slash got back, but I honestly dont think it will be enough to change his mind.  

On 11/5/2017 at 11:01 AM, Dean said:

Very true, which is a shame in my opinion. I'd love to hear how those tunes were originally, although you could even say that for a lot of the stuff on Chinese too. Another stumbling block would be anything Pitman had a hand in writing to prevent him from getting any royalties.

Did Pitman have any writing credits on Chinese Democracy? Even if he had writing credits, I'm sure any band members who joins Guns N' Roses gives the band contractual permission to release any compositions written for Guns N' Roses with or without the member's permission. Paul Tobias, Josh Freese, Robin Finck, and Buckethead all had writing credits on Chinese Democracy, and the band didn't take their songs off the album.