Controverial opinion: Rocket Queen was better in 2001/02 than in 2016/17

Brain's got a great groove as a drummer, definitely among the best in GNR's history; I can agree that the current version gets too long to the point where you're anxious for the band to get it over with :P the talkbox solo on this tour is also pretty lame, doesn't add anything to the song and just seems like an excuse to use it once a night

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

2001-2002 was probably the last time Axl was Axl. That's why no matter how much that era may have sucked, it's still special unlike the years that followed where he sold out and became a corporate rocker with his b-list lineup. 

As for RQ, it hasn't sounded good since the Illusion tour imho. 

the mr. security man thing was probably the last really axl rose thing axl rose has done besides for being late a bunch of times... now he doesnt even do that anymore

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Serious question.  Have you been listening to Slash and Duff on the CD songs lately?  Say, the last 3-4 weeks?  

I saw them play almost 3 weeks ago.  I didn't sit through all the CD songs though. 

2 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Not controversial at all. RQ as currently played is a fucking dog. just not good at all. 

We dont even have to go as far sa 2001, SMKC's version of RQ is much better than what is currently being played. 

I would have loved to hear Axl sing over the Conspirators version of RQ.. 

17 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

nahhh... id take mickey over myles any day of the week. that dudes voice makes me wanna curl up and die

I actually find Mickey and Myles pretty similar but yeah I would rather have Mickey Axl than Myles.. 

• Like 1

Rocket Queen sucks without Steven Adler.  Put in a good sounding Axl, Steven Adler, and take away the stupid unnecessary long solo, and the song would kick ass.

Nu GNR version sucks as well. Speaking of NU GNr, did you guys listen to Buckethead's interview? The guy spoke for the first time ever. He is weird, but seems like a good guy. It is on youtube if you haven't heard it.

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Well Slash, Duff sound great on that Apollo version. Even Frank sounded a little better on that one.. I don't think anyone is whispering in Richards ear and asking him to play like a douche bag.. Duff and Slash most likely don't want to ruffle any feathers and play with the hand they were dealt...

Of course Duff and Slash are silent participants, as we've discussed in length. Yep, that's definitely the situation...:facepalm: Every arrangement that you hear on stage was rehearsed and decided upon, and if you think Richard, Frank or whoever were shouting down Duff, Slash or Axl in the rehearsal room to get to play altered version of songs, you're high as a kite:lol: It's a "band" but if the bosses don't like something, guess what? it isn't going to happen a second time.

Also, If it's douchey to play consistently well, then yeh he's a douchebag! all round top class musician, end of!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would have loved to hear Axl sing over the Conspirators version of RQ.. 

I actually find Mickey and Myles pretty similar but yeah I would rather have Mickey Axl than Myles.. 

Myles sounding like he's singing through his nose probably has something to do with it. In my opinion, he doesn't sound good at all on Guns N' Roses songs except maybe Paradise City and Sweet Child.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

the mr. security man thing was probably the last really axl rose thing axl rose has done besides for being late a bunch of times... now he doesnt even do that anymore

This year at the Paris show he did it. A security guy got rough with a little girl. Axl shouted "security fuckhead" in the middle of a song. However after the song ended. he kinda backpedaled saying something like they appreciate security job. But they shouldn't cross the line with a little kid.

10 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Absolutely!! This with Axl on vocals would be the best version of the song since 1989!! Well, it still is, but it would be better with Axl.

Brent Fitz get's it.. Even the 25 year old guitarist play the rhythm parts correctly..  This was early on too.. They got better as they went.

7 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Myles sounding like he's singing through his nose probably has something to do with it. In my opinion, he doesn't sound good at all on Guns N' Roses songs except maybe Paradise City and Sweet Child.

AGreed.. He doesn't sound good on some of his own songs either lol.. I do think he is good on Sweet Child and Fall To Pieces.....

I like the current funky jams, think it suits. To be honest, I think is the only jam I wouldnt take off from the set. 

My only issue with all the jams is that Frank does not fit any of 'em, he sounds like a fuckin robot and doesnt have what it takes to keep it with the guys. But it is what it is, what to expect from a guy that is only in the band because he is Axls pot buddy?

edit: Nop, also love the DTJ one.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

I love, love, love the way they tease out Rocket Queen, now. The extended intro is almost better than the actual song.

When I saw them in Boston, I was really digging the light patterns they were projecting on the big screen. Then, they proceeded to play these absolutely cringe-worthy graphics of Skeletons doing doggy and anal.

I was embarrassed for everybody in the stadium, because it was so beneath the song and it went on and on.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Brent Fitz get's it.. Even the 25 year old guitarist play the rhythm parts correctly..  This was early on too.. They got better as they went.

...played this way because *drum roll* that's how Slash asked them perform it. Being 25  also has no importance, I've seen amazing musicians much younger, and much, much older... But your point here is to subtly suggest that Richard and Frank can't play their instruments. Not the case.

This is a good version though and I would prefer if Guns played things closer to this, Fitz is a great drummer too. Can:t say I've ever taken any notice of Slash's rhythm player, he seems to have fallen in the Gilby hole (playing the parts as you would like to hear them, but besides that, totally unremarkable within Slash's band, outside of it that story is probably different).

45 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

...played this way because *drum roll* that's how Slash asked them perform it. Being 25  also has no importance, I've seen amazing musicians much younger, and much, much older... But your point here is to subtly suggest that Richard and Frank can't play their instruments. Not the case.

This is a good version though and I would prefer if Guns played things closer to this, Fitz is a great drummer too. Can:t say I've ever taken any notice of Slash's rhythm player, he seems to have fallen in the Gilby hole (playing the parts as you would like to hear them, but besides that, totally unremarkable within Slash's band, outside of it that story is probably different).

Dude, I keep trying to ignore your replies  but you keep putting words in my mouth and accuse me of twisting things to fit my "narrative".... 

I never said those two can't play their instruments.. I just think just suck at playing some Guns N' Roses songs.. I never said Slash's rhythm players were remarkable players.. They do however do a damn fine job at playing Gn'R songs.. Slash's band sounds more like Guns N Roses than Guns N' Roses currently do on some songs. I doubt Slash has to tell them play the songs how they are intended. They are probably smart enough to realize that these are classic iconic songs that are damn near perfect the way they are. I wish Fortus would too instead of sticking out like a sore thumb at times.   He doesn't need to try and put his own stamp on some of these classics.. Swallow your ego and be happy you are playing in one of the greatest rock bands of all time. 

I also stand corrected. That wasn't Frank (the 25 year old) in that clip above it was Bobby Schneck.. They both do an admirable job at playing Guns songs. 

Lastly.. Do you need to reply to so many of my posts that you disagree with? I don't agree with half the shit you say but I don't take it so personally that I feel the need to reply to you.  The vast majority of my posts are giving my opinion on a topic or replying to an opinion I agree with. I don't need to reply to everyone I disagree with.. That just starts boring ass back and forth that no one wants to see.. Well some people feed on it, but the majority don't. 

• Like 1