Controverial opinion: Rocket Queen was better in 2001/02 than in 2016/17

I like the 01-02 version, but I have no idea why some don't enjoy the current version. Who goes to a concert to hear the songs exactly like they're on the album anyway. I really like the extended guitar solos live. I mean it might be boring if you watch it on periscope every night.  But when you're there, you're there to hear them jam.

• Like 4

Those early 2k rq performances had a unique rawish rawknrolln feeln about'em.  

added: It wasn't like ritz raw but raw with some really fuckin' great razor sharp edges to it.  It was an intriguing era...funny how some of us look back on that 3volution of the band...

Edited by HOOSIER GUNZ
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Dude, I keep trying to ignore your replies  but you keep putting words in my mouth and accuse me of twisting things to fit my "narrative".... 

I never said those two can't play their instruments.. I just think just suck at playing some Guns N' Roses songs.. I never said Slash's rhythm players were remarkable players.. They do however do a damn fine job at playing Gn'R songs.. Slash's band sounds more like Guns N Roses than Guns N' Roses currently do on some songs. I doubt Slash has to tell them play the songs how they are intended. They are probably smart enough to realize that these are classic iconic songs that are damn near perfect the way they are. I wish Fortus would too instead of sticking out like a sore thumb at times.   He doesn't need to try and put his own stamp on some of these classics.. Swallow your ego and be happy you are playing in one of the greatest rock bands of all time. 

I also stand corrected. That wasn't Frank (the 25 year old) in that clip above it was Bobby Schneck.. They both do an admirable job at playing Guns songs. 

Lastly.. Do you need to reply to so many of my posts that you disagree with? I don't agree with half the shit you say but I don't take it so personally that I feel the need to reply to you.  The vast majority of my posts are giving my opinion on a topic or replying to an opinion I agree with. I don't need to reply to everyone I disagree with.. That just starts boring ass back and forth that no one wants to see.. Well some people feed on it, but the majority don't. 

I don't usually but I could tell you were ignoring my responses 😂 it's not personal at all, besides that. I don't mind one bit if you like or dislike a player! I don't like a lot of players, example Josh for RHCP.

I thought you were suggesting they weren't good musicians. But that was my mistake. Honestly I don't love how they play RQ these days either, I don't like the weird drum part in the middle, or the big solo section... I'm not one who says "Richard shouldn't play solos" but on rocket queen even what he's doing us fine, it makes it too long so if there has to be a long solo, just let Slash do his thing and get it over with. I also don't like how Axl has sang it for a long time, and I think that's a much bigger problem than Richard, Slash or anyone elses contributions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Brent Fitz get's it.. Even the 25 year old guitarist play the rhythm parts correctly..  This was early on too.. They got better as they went.

That's the thing for me, they understand their role and that they're supposed to serve the songs (especially classic songs) instead of playing some fancy shit on top of it.

In my opinion, every GNR song sounded better (instrumentally) by SMKC than by the current "GNR" with the exception of You Could Be Mine (didn't like the way Slash was sounding on it with the Les Paul and effects).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would have loved to hear Axl sing over the Conspirators version of RQ.. 

I actually find Mickey and Myles pretty similar but yeah I would rather have Mickey Axl than Myles.. 

How are Mickey and Myles similar? They are both high but Myles has soooo much more power behind it than Axl. You don't have to like Myles but difference is really big I think

• Like 1

I fucking love RQ from NITL. Its always a huge highlight for me. The intro and middle jams are fucking awesome and I think this one is a great showcase of Fortus and Slash's chemistry. I think this is one of the strongest versions of the song, especially when Axl sounds decent on it. I like the Conspirator's versions, but they were getting a little too long and repetitive. The last time I saw them in 2015 it seemed like it was a half hour long! I like the more dynamic GNR jam for NITL, but seeing Slash in his own little world was cool too for the Conspirators. 

I used to love the Boston 2002 RQ, though. I should listen to that again, its been years. I used to listen to it ALL the time. I liked Pitman's weird effects (for a one off, glad they aren't there nowadays) and thought Axl's screams were awesome. Not to mention Bucket had a great solo on that one. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I fucking love RQ from NITL. Its always a huge highlight for me. The intro and middle jams are fucking awesome and I think this one is a great showcase of Fortus and Slash's chemistry. I think this is one of the strongest versions of the song, especially when Axl sounds decent on it. I like the Conspirator's versions, but they were getting a little too long and repetitive. The last time I saw them in 2015 it seemed like it was a half hour long! I like the more dynamic GNR jam for NITL, but seeing Slash in his own little world was cool too for the Conspirators. 

I’m with you on this 👍🏼

That said, when Axl doesn’t deliver vocally on the song, it really loses a lot of its power.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 2

Upon further review, this is probably been one of the most disappointing songs to hear on this tour. Axl voice is weak on this, way to long of solo (with an unnecessary fortus solo), and franks drumming. This song would have a lot more life in it if Steven was allowed to play this song with them. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, Lies They Tell said:

I like the 01-02 version, but I have no idea why some don't enjoy the current version. Who goes to a concert to hear the songs exactly like they're on the album anyway. I really like the extended guitar solos live. I mean it might be boring if you watch it on periscope every night.  But when you're there, you're there to hear them jam.

yeah, i dont understand all this, who goes to a concert to see the people who recorded the album anyway?