Our Interview with Doug Goldstein (Former GNR Manager)

8 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

The more I read and hear the different versions of the same stories, I truly believe the truth really is in the middle. They all just have their own perception and view of what went on. All of this happened a long time ago and I'm sure the substances don't help with the memories.

My sentiments also

Does anyone believe this Michael Jackson story and the rift it caused? I seriously can’t see Axl making assumptions of guilt on MJ’s behalf. And the Dr. Feelsgiod story? Hmmmm. He says Duff and Slash were so high they never remembered much, but yet they can recall a rift was stolen. But, great interview. Thanks guys. Made world bearable today.

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Does anyone believe this Michael Jackson story and the rift it caused? I seriously can’t see Axl making assumptions of guilt on MJ’s behalf. And the Dr. Feelsgiod story? Hmmmm. He says Duff and Slash were so high they never remembered much, but yet they can recall a rift was stolen. But, great interview. Thanks guys. Made world bearable today.

I don't believe this Michael Jackson story , i remember that Slash said that story was total bullshit.

Just finished this. Lots of interesting stories. Gotta say, i have some new found redpect for the guy. He seems honest and straight up and puts a lot of things we know from the other parties into perspective.

some stuff i wanna point out though that kind of annoy me:

i bet the way you do your interviews is just the way you feel comfortable doing, but i find interviews way more enjoyable when i have the feeling that the interviewer and the interviewee are engaged into a real conversation. Of course you have to prepare beforehand and write down some questions. But i have the feeling all you do is concentrate on the millions of questions you have lying down in front of you and try to get every one of them out there. That leads to you sometimes not really listening to what the person has to say cause you’re too focused on your sheets and what youre gonna ask next, plus the feeling of a conversation gets totally lost. Its more of a question>answer thing. And i think people who get interviewed feel way more comfortable and respected and taken seriously, when your interviewer is really listening to you and throwing in some questions that result out of this discussion.

for example a few times doug said sth really interesting, you’re focussing on your papers and instead of going deeper into what he just said, you ask a totally different question thats related to a total different era. I felt that was kind of inconsistent.

not trying to nag here, but that’s just something i care and focus about personally when reading or seeing interviews 

other than that: keep up the good work and hopefully we’ll get to hear/see some more interesting people

Edited by Carmenjello
  • Like 3

After watching the Podcast with Goldstein, one thing that stood out was what he said about TB. He said, if he was managing Guns, he would make sure, as he did in the Illusion days, that there wouldn’t be any empty seats left at any show by making sure the Band has news coverage etc.

What does it say about Beta and her kids? We have one of the biggest tours ever basically without any kind of promotion. Of course they know that the name GNR itself sells like shit and they wont have to spend extra money for promotion, plus they get they’re money anyway, even if the shows are only 50% sold out. Why not treat this massive, huge and worldwide tour like it should be. With love and passion and dedication.

Another thing: look at how poorly their social media is being handled. You get some lame ass boring 30sec promo videos from time to time, same cutting, same style, same everything. The same old boring pics of kat for every other show. Nothing exciting, nothing out of the ordinary, not interviews,  no behind the scenes shit. No information whatsoever. 

If beta and her kids had some respect for this band, they’d make sure they’re name is out there constantly, or at least from time to time. Holding out your hands and taking all the money and sitting on it and waiting until the next tour comes is not what it should be about and how it should be handled.

You can say about Doug Goldstein what you want, but he knew how to handle this band.

Edited by Carmenjello
  • Like 1

Eh, some might argue: why make an effort to promote a band that "doesn't really exist"? LOL :lol: It hasn't got anything really to market but the shade of a former past glory.

Another aspect that I think was important coming out of the interview: another confirmation that Axl & co simply want nothing to do with everything labeled as The Past. Even things/people that have been nothing but supportive and potentially harmless. Yea, I get it, the emotional scars of that period are still there and won't go away, especially for someone like Axl, but this is basically sticking to the definition of insanity by Einstein. But hey, they're selling 5k bucks leather jackets (which suck, by the way), so go Team Brazil. :facepalm:

Edited by AncientEvil80

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think the primary issue with TB is they let Axl have full control and tip toe around him and do what he says very carefully.

No new music, radio silence, etc

I doubt its that. Axl more or less always had control. But back in the day he would be doing interviews and making sure the name is out there

Take that „that metal show“ interview for example. We’ve learned recently from the appetite for distortion podcast, that the infamous team brazil didnt tell axl that he was supposed to do an interview AFTER the show was over. I mean, thats just amateurish. No respectful and experienced management would do something like that.

Edited by Carmenjello

28 minutes ago, Carmenjello said:

After watching the Podcast with Goldstein, one thing that stood out was what he said about TB. He said, if he was managing Guns, he would make sure, as he did in the Illusion days, that there wouldn’t be any empty seats left at any show by making sure the Band has news coverage etc.

What does it say about Beta and her kids? We have one of the biggest tours ever basically without any kind of promotion. Of course they know that the name GNR itself sells like shit and they wont have to spend extra money for promotion, plus they get they’re money anyway, even if the shows are only 50% sold out. Why not treat this massive, huge and worldwide tour like it should be. With love and passion and dedication.

But, that thing was confusing to me, this tour is the fourth ever, despite the lack of promotion, I thought Live Nation and the talent agency (UTA) was managing the tour, not team Brazil.....and the tour has been a success, whatever you think of the band...

• Like 1

Yes it was a huge success because axl and slash are back. Not because of great promotion or something like that. 

Some shows on the 2nd leg in the usa were poorly sold. Thats a result of not doing anything. You need gnr in peoples head. They need to see on tv or wherever what they could experience. You need to work hard for that stuff. Some shows in europe are far from being sold out. I know lots of people, who are into rock, who dont even know they’re coming. Why? No promotion whatsoever. No coverage, no nothing. 

Edited by Carmenjello

9 minutes ago, Carmenjello said:

Some shows on the 2nd leg in the usa were poorly sold. Thats a result of not doing anything. You need gnr in peoples head. They need to see on tv or wherever what they could experience. You need to work hard for that stuff. Some shows in europe are far from being sold out. I know lots of people, who are into rock, who dont even know they’re coming. Why? No promotion whatsoever. No coverage, no nothing. 

Where is said that some shows in the second leg in USA sold poorly, because Pollstar doesn't said that, neither Billboard, in fact Billboard awarded NITL tour in November of 2017 as tour of the year and top draw .....and totally agree with you, by the way, in the lack of promotion thing. 

Edit to add: I don't like team Brazil at all, I think they are leeches, the difference this time is that the tour was managed by Live Nation and UTA in my opinion

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

2 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Where is said that some shows in the second leg in USA sold poorly, because Pollstar doesn't said that, neither Billboard, in fact Billboard awarded NITL tour in November of 2017 as tour of the year and top draw .....and totally agree with you, by the way, in the lack of promotion thing. 

i dont remember the city, but for 1 or 2 shows they had to put the stage into the middle of the stadium cause half the tickets werent sold. That way it looked more packed.

5 minutes ago, Carmenjello said:

i dont remember the city, but for 1 or 2 shows they had to put the stage into the middle of the stadium cause half the tickets werent sold. That way it looked more packed.

Ok. But yes, I agree with you...could be much more than they already made it....I wonder why, why Axl don't do more press, imagine an interview with him and Slash...you will see with Angus...we will see them even in the fucking soup.

17 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Ok. But yes, I agree with you...could be much more than they already made it....I wonder why, why Axl don't do more press, imagine an interview with him and Slash...you will see with Angus...we will see them even in the fucking soup.

Because this reunion is a one time thing and they will disband after the tour is over.

Seriously, if they had any plans for the future they would have said so, but they only reunited to play some shows and jump on the revival/nostalgia bandwagon so typical of this era.

Once its over, everything else will be over.

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think the primary issue with TB is they let Axl have full control and tip toe around him and do what he says very carefully.

No new music, radio silence, etc

Excatly. I don't get why anyone would think that they have any real power or say to do and change things. Also not sure what really could be done differently and exciting without any real input by Axl, Slash and Duff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carmenjello said:

I know lots of people, who are into rock, who dont even know they’re coming. Why? No promotion whatsoever. No coverage, no nothing. 

Yes. But that would be the promoters job. Not TB. And if Axl and co. couldn't be arsed to do any interviews, they're shit out of luck.

27 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Because this reunion is a one time thing and they will disband after the tour is over.

Seriously, if they had any plans for the future they would have said so, but they only reunited to play some shows and jump on the revival/nostalgia bandwagon so typical of this era.

Once its over, everything else will be over.

NITLT tour has been hugely successful. It was the highest grossing tour of 2017. Whether it could have been more successful will always be questioned but as far as GnR, they gave the fans what they've long been waiting for,  shows with as close to the original 5 as we'll ever see. I know when we get a litte, we want more. It's human nature. But our favorite band shouldn't come under attack for giving fans what they wanted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

The problem is that TB never was a team of people in the business. They were not managers, and despite having the title, I don’t consider managers.

Their loyalty is with Axl. Not with the band, not with the fans, not with the art. They are probably the people closest to Axl, and I think they have a relationship built on love and trust. But as nice as that might be, that doesn’t make a good manager.

The manager must have the power to actually MANAGE the band in so many areas: creative output, studio work, promotion, connections, media, online presence, relationship with fans, etc. and make the most out of every given oportunity. And that includes inevitably pissing someone off at some point. A manager cannot be a yes-man, it just doesn’t work.

The management of GNR has been a disaster. So many wasted oportunities! Even if we forget everything before 2016 and focus exclusively on NITL, it’s been way less than it could have been.

Axl is resting on his laurels, and management seems ok with that, which only makes sense when you consider TB are closer to being Axl’s closest people than to being GNR’s management.

They don’t have it in them, just in the same way that not everybody is cut out to be a lawyer, a salesman, or an artist. Put TB to manage any other band the size of GNR and they would be out of a job in a matter of months.

Axl used to have real managers, for years. It didn't work. He didn't trust them. They had their own agendas and tried to make him do things he didn't want to do. Now he has the closest people he has in his life doing what he wants them to do. It works for him. Your opinion of what a manager should do, is of no consequence and a moot point really, as that clearly is what Axl had, but doesn't want anymore.

• Like 2