Our Interview with Doug Goldstein (Former GNR Manager)

19 hours ago, Tori72 said:

He gave interviews in the 90s? Never heard any. What did he talk about back then?

Yeah- not interviews. More like 1-2 sentence quotes that were part of other people’s articles like: “Manager Doug Goldstein stated: ‘Axl’s working with a few drummers now- but Matt’s involvement still hasn’t been entirely ruled out’,” etc. 

On 2018-03-29 at 8:39 AM, Alejandro GNR said:

I still cant believe you wont ask anyone about Axls vocals change in the 2000’s....specially to Sean and Doug.

You should interview Axls vocal coach

Be grateful for what you get! This guy does an excellent job. There’s some shit that can’t be asked if you want to keep getting guests!!

But given you know exactly what you’re looking for in an interview, I suggest you watch Pump up the volume and start your own podcast. 

I still can’t believe you haven’t done it! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

@janrichmond thanks for putting that letter....I have no words...

Axl really has bad taste in people that manage his career....

I agree after reading the letter.  Who would thought axls "career" would just be endless touring rather than releasing another 2 albums worth or having some sort of a vision. I would like to understand the modus operandi of the managers axl has had.

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I agree after reading the letter.  Who would thought axls "career" would just be endless touring rather than releasing another 2 albums worth or having some sort of a vision. I would like to understand the modus operandi of the managers axl has had.

He's looking for yes-men. Therein lies the rub. Besides, what can management do when they're at the mercy of their star and his whims? Nada. You have someone who is unwilling to listen or follow any kind of plan. Hence the revolving door of managers over the last 15 years. The drama with former manager Merck and how that dude was thrown under the bus after Axl failed to deliver CD by the end of 2006 is a perfect example of this.

Doc McGhee (former KISS manager, announced on the job in Feb '10 by Axl, fired around Feb '11.)

"[Axl] wanted to prove he could write," Mr. McGhee says, "and saw his Guns N’ Roses as a way to demonstrate his contributions to the original band."

A Guns N’ Roses reunion is “one of those things the audience was told they would never get,” says Peter Katsis (former Ministry manager), who briefly managed the breakaway band Mr. Rose has fronted in recent years.

Manager after manager popped the reunion question. In one 3 a.m. conversation while managing Mr. Rose on tour[2011], Mr. Katsis recalls: “He told me he wasn’t opposed to doing it at some point, and that he had no real issues with Slash.” But he still wasn’t ready.

Mr. Rose parted ways with Mr. Katsis in late 2011, leaving the handling of Guns N’ Roses to Beta Lebeis, Mr. Rose’s personal assistant and confidante, and her son, Fernando; they were aided by Mr. Rose’s business manager, booking agent and lawyer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/guns-n-roses-puts-it-back-together-1458760765

12/2011

The constant [reunion] question is an albatross and leaves Rose not only tired but wary of anyone in the business looking to work with him. "All these managers, they all believe in one thing: sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It's just a phone call. It's a half a day's work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don't care if it falls on its face." LA Times, 12/2011

"Every manager comes in and wants me to make things smaller," says Rose. Guns N' Roses, for example, requires twice as many tour trucks as the budget calls for, he says. Why no one else can understand the band's needs is an obvious frustration for Rose. - LA Times, 12/2011

"We decided, 'No more managers,'" said Lebeis a few days after the Seattle concert. "Between me and Fernando and my daughter, we're dealing with the management." Lebeis added that she characterizes Rose as "more than a son to me," and that after Katsis' departure, "I told [Rose] if he hires another manager, I quit." LA Times, 12/2011 (:lol::facepalm:)

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

But Goldstein was never a professional manager to begin with! :lol:

If you would tell him that he would kill you, no? ;) He was a professional unprofessional manager. And a first class ass kisser. Not sure if that makes him more or less a manager in the strictest sense. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

He's looking for yes-men. Therein lies the rub. Besides, what can management do when they're at the mercy of their star and his whims? Nada. You have someone who is unwilling to listen or follow any kind of plan. Hence the revolving door of managers over the last 15 years. The drama with former manager Merck and how that dude was thrown under the bus after Axl failed to deliver CD by the end of 2006 is a perfect example of this.

Doc McGhee (former KISS manager, announced on the job in Feb '10 by Axl, fired around Feb '11.)

"[Axl] wanted to prove he could write," Mr. McGhee says, "and saw his Guns N’ Roses as a way to demonstrate his contributions to the original band."

A Guns N’ Roses reunion is “one of those things the audience was told they would never get,” says Peter Katsis (former Ministry manager), who briefly managed the breakaway band Mr. Rose has fronted in recent years.

Manager after manager popped the reunion question. In one 3 a.m. conversation while managing Mr. Rose on tour[2011], Mr. Katsis recalls: “He told me he wasn’t opposed to doing it at some point, and that he had no real issues with Slash.” But he still wasn’t ready.

Mr. Rose parted ways with Mr. Katsis in late 2011, leaving the handling of Guns N’ Roses to Beta Lebeis, Mr. Rose’s personal assistant and confidante, and her son, Fernando; they were aided by Mr. Rose’s business manager, booking agent and lawyer.

12/2011

The constant [reunion] question is an albatross and leaves Rose not only tired but wary of anyone in the business looking to work with him. "All these managers, they all believe in one thing: sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It's just a phone call. It's a half a day's work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don't care if it falls on its face." LA Times, 12/2011

"Every manager comes in and wants me to make things smaller," says Rose. Guns N' Roses, for example, requires twice as many tour trucks as the budget calls for, he says. Why no one else can understand the band's needs is an obvious frustration for Rose. - LA Times, 12/2011

"We decided, 'No more managers,'" said Lebeis a few days after the Seattle concert. "Between me and Fernando and my daughter, we're dealing with the management." Lebeis added that she characterizes Rose as "more than a son to me," and that after Katsis' departure, "I told [Rose] if he hires another manager, I quit." LA Times, 12/2011 (:lol::facepalm:)

Thanks ronin for all of this. So what was the issue with irving azoff. I understand that he is a prick and i know he managed the eagles and don felder had no major good things to say about him.

8 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Be grateful for what you get! This guy does an excellent job. There’s some shit that can’t be asked if you want to keep getting guests!!

But given you know exactly what you’re looking for in an interview, I suggest you watch Pump up the volume and start your own podcast. 

I appreciate the great work these guys are doing for us fans.

However I dont get why would anyone consider offensive asking about an admitted change in a singing style. I guess it depends on the way its being asked, but I dont mean this in an aggresive way. 

8 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

What's this logic behind your statement wtf? Why would that question stop him from getting guests?:shrugs:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

12/2011

@RONINyou and @Blackstar are the "BiBLE SAINT" of GNR😆👍

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Because it's on other people to get Axl to release new music?

Again, there are so many misconceptions as to what a manager actually does.  A manager isn't a psychiatrist or motivational speaker.  They handle the day to day affairs and help to execute for their clients on the business side.  

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What's this logic behind your statement wtf? Why would that question stop him from getting guests?:shrugs:

It’s only my assumption, but asking shitty questions is not the best way to entice someone into an interview. If you knew the guy on previous to you was raked over the coals you’re hardly likely to want to be next! 

Maybe sidman can fill us in? 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

It’s only my assumption, but asking shitty questions is not the best way to entice someone into an interview. If you knew the guy on previous to you was raked over the coals you’re hardly likely to want to be next! 

Maybe sidman can fill us in? 

i don't want to shed too much light on how we get guests. We sometimes have to tread lightly. 

• Like 1