Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

I like it a lot.

My impression is that Slash's leads are new. The solo sounds completely like current Slash imo, like his current style.

It's hard to tell about Axl's vocals. I just heard it two times in full length so I can't tell for sure. He sounds a little bit different, but that could be due to the mix.

The production is awesome. That's exactly how a new Guns record should sound like.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

which parts do you think may have been rerecorded?  I think guitar and vocals may be new.  Obviously, Fartus was nowhere near if it was redone.

I loved this track back in the day

And yes...This being single gives us finally one new song on the future setlist... 

At least the vocals and the guitars. But i must dare to say that the whole song was re recorded!!

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I like it a lot.

My impression is that Slash's leads are new. The solo sounds completely like current Slash imo, like his current style.

It's hard to tell about Axl's vocals. I just heard it two times in full length so I can't tell for sure. He sounds a little bit different, but that could be due to the mix.

The production is awesome. That's exactly how a new Guns record should sound like.

I only got to listen to gnr.fm the other night and I'm at work today. I just pulled up both the new and old recordings on YT, and did as much A/Bing as I could in the office.

I maintain the position this is absolutely not a re-record. BUT, Slash's solo does sound different from the one on the previous SOYL recordings we've heard. Won't get to hear the full tracks until later tonight, but it seems some light recording was done for this.

Just now, OmarBradley said:

I only got to listen to gnr.fm the other night and I'm at work today. I just pulled up both the new and old recordings on YT, and did as much A/Bing as I could in the office.

I maintain the position this is absolutely not a re-record. BUT, Slash's solo does sound different from the one on the previous SOYL recordings we've heard. Won't get to hear the full tracks until later tonight, but it seems some light recording was done for this.

Kill yourself. $10 please.

Just now, OmarBradley said:

Dropping in a new solo and lead licks here and there does not constitute a "re-record." 

Are we living on the same fucking planet?! You steadfastly maintained the WHOLE THING was untouched. And now suddenly a little tinkering doesn't constitute re-recording?! Re-recording is re-fucking-recording! You lay down anything and you've re-recorded something. Thats the fucking point. You're all so fucking insane. I want my money whore.

Just now, gunsfanoldie said:

Are we living on the same fucking planet?! You steadfastly maintained the WHOLE THING was untouched. And now suddenly a little tinkering doesn't constitute re-recording?! Re-recording is re-fucking-recording! You lay down anything and you've re-recorded something. Thats the fucking point. You're all so fucking insane. I want my money whore.

No, I don't live on Cheesuscant. 

That's correct. I didn't listen to the full tracks the other night, as gnr.fm gave us a staticy snippet - was the solo even on that site? 

The solos are clearly different. There may be some lead licks dropped in too, though I'd guess a lot of what we're hearing was just buried in the original's mediocre mix and lack of proper mastering. I have to get to a place with real speakers where I can have some peace to fully listen to each. For now, I'm keeping my $10.

2 hours ago, scooby845 said:
2 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Guys, I have found similarities. That is 100% bits and pieces re-recorded by Slash in 2018.

Take a look at the same technique/lick that Slash has been using since his style 'progressed' in his solo career. There's no way Slash played like that in 1986.

Look for yourself. What do you think?

SOYL

And then this... It's REALLY similar.

Yes, you're right.

• Thanks 1

One thing that I feel IS possible (that nobody is talking about), is that Axl himself stated that with Slash and Duff back in the band he enjoys the old songs a lot more than he has for a while. On top of that, the whole ACDC thing (because all they do is play straight up rock and roll), he might finally be over his whole "CD approach" he's been on for the last 20 years. This Shadow of your love is a good sign imo. Call me crazy, but I have more faith than I've had for a long time. 

I'm calling it now, after the Myles and ACDC stuff concludes (if the ACDC thing is even real), I think we WILL get a new album. I think this SOYL is indicative of what's to come. I'm thinking songs like Bring it back home, the unfinished 96 stuff, some CD leftovers will be the next album. I think it's being discussed at this moment.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

One thing that I feel IS possible (that nobody is talking about), is that Axl himself stated that with Slash and Duff back in the band he enjoys the old songs a lot more than he has for a while. On top of that, the whole ACDC thing (because all they do is play straight up rock and roll), he might finally be over his whole "CD approach" he's been on for the last 20 years. This Shadow of your love is a good sign imo. Call me crazy, but I have more faith than I've had for a long time. 

I'm calling it now, after the Myles and ACDC stuff concludes (if the ACDC thing is even real), I think we WILL get a new album. I think this SOYL is indicative of what's to come. I'm thinking songs like Bring it back home, the unfinished 96 stuff, some CD leftovers will be the next album. I think it's being discussed at this moment.

Definitely. Axl never would have humored this release unless Slash and Duff were back. And yes this is a sign of things to come.

Best comercial rock band period. 

• Like 3

Had it on repeat for 12 hours or so on Spotify and I think their numbers refresh every 24 hours so will be interested to see that this doesn’t shoot to #1 at least on their own band page...

Surely I’m not the only one that gotta kick outta playing this back to back to back on a Friday! Today was s good day!

16 minutes ago, Cruel Intentions said:

It's nothing great, IMO. It just sounds like a pretty generic 80s rock song and if it originally made it onto AFD, it's probably a track I would skip more so than not. 

I feel the same. It sounds dated to me and I don't see it doing well on the mainstream charts.

7 minutes ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Had it on repeat for 12 hours or so on Spotify and I think their numbers refresh every 24 hours so will be interested to see that this doesn’t shoot to #1 at least on their own band page...

Surely I’m not the only one that gotta kick outta playing this back to back to back on a Friday! Today was s good day!

Ya, me too!!! I'm really digging it. It's not my favorite guns song ever, but it is my favorite guns song since UYI

I don't get all the ANYTHING Goes hate. That's personally one of my favs on Appetite. I would EASILY put it a head of You're Crazy (the lies version is better) and Thinking bout you. Which IMO Thinking Bout You is the worst song on Appetite, I think SOYL is superior for sure.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

8 minutes ago, baje said:

I feel the same. It sounds dated to me and I don't see it doing well on the mainstream charts.

Yep, agree with you.  I can't see this doing all that well either.  Maybe it's a good thing?  Maybe it suits Axl better for this release to be reasonably low key and free of global hoop-la so he doesn't feel the pressure of being so closely scrutinised as he was back in the day?  He might be encouraged to release either more old unreleased songs (like the ones lingering on CD 2 and 3) or actual new songs?

2 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I don't get all the ANYTHING Goes hate. That's personally one of my favs on Appetite. I would EASILY put it a head of You're Crazy (the lies version is better) and Thinking bout you. Which IMO Thinking Bout You is the worst song on Appetite, I think SOYL is superior for sure.

Another fan of Anything Goes here.  I've always liked it, and prefer it to Think About You.  Never did get Zutaut 'fighting' for Think About You to be included on AFD and saying that it was their Stones moment.