Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

13 hours ago, ramsey said:

Is there a more Adler song than this? his drumming is fucking surreal on this

Production is too. It reminds me so much of High Voltage ugh

Maybe because Axl's vocals had Ac/dc vibe❓

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I don't get all the ANYTHING Goes hate. That's personally one of my favs on Appetite. I would EASILY put it a head of You're Crazy (the lies version is better) and Thinking bout you. Which IMO Thinking Bout You is the worst song on Appetite, I think SOYL is superior for sure.

Crazy talk, Think about you shits all over you're crazy and Anything goes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

It is "OK-ish", its also a million times better than everything on CD. 

Real Guns could take an average song and make it sound great, nugnr took great songs and... well, yea :no:

I'm sick of this "real Guns" vs. "nu Guns" in every thread. It's pointless. Especially on this thread, because this song has nothing to do with nu Guns.

And based on Shadow of Your Love, real Guns can't always make an average song sound great :shrugs:

Ok, so... The new vocals sound quite a bit different imo. Axl isn't as high sounding as he was on the original demos... makes you wonder. Obviously that's a new guitar parts from Slash, and Duff in the beginning ALSO sounds new. Duff didn't sound like that in the 80s. 

Listen for yourself.

Wake up time to play version

17 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Crazy talk, Think about you shits all over you're crazy and Anything goes.

Agree to disagree. Thinking about you is the WEAKEST moment on the record, both in "hardness" and in lyrical content. Even SCOM rocks harder. Anything Goes is the sleaziest song on the entire album.

"Pants around her knees with her ass in debris, doing that grime with the push and squeeze. Tied up tied down up against the wall, you be my Rubbermaid baby we can do it all."

SO many innuendos and double meaning in those lines. It's one of the best lyrical moments on the entire album.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You mean because of the lyrics? I think AG is just as solid as anything else musically, just the lyrics date it s little bit but whatever this was sleazy 80s LA rock.

The song never clicked for me, only time I listen to it is when I'm playing appetite on Vinyl other than that I basically ignore its existance

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a good song, just like it was a good song when I first heard it in the late 1980s. 

What is going on with the video? The skeleton doesn't move. He is just in the scene like a shop window dummy. 

Fernando made the animation himself to cut the costs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a good song, just like it was a good song when I first heard it in the late 1980s. 

What is going on with the video? The skeleton doesn't move. He is just in the scene like a shop window dummy. 

keeps walking but not moving forward. duff has the red headband on the cross logo. must be trying to tell him he's going nowhere 

Anyone else think they digitally edited some of the vox? Especially since he always use to say shadow sha-na-na-na-na... instead of sha-sha-sha-sha-sha on the 3 demos. Still like that they released something

Edited by Mendez

Today has been the best day! I put the song on a CD to play in the car and I have it going on repeat at work. I feel like how i did when I was 16 or so when I was first getting into GnR. I used to listen to Brownstone and Nightrain over and over, absolutely mesmerized. With this new release I'm back to that same place.

Ok I have a theory regarding this rerecording business: what if on the actual box set the unreleased Mike Clink tune is there with all the original 80s tracks but just for this promo single they rerecorded the whole song? Not as something that's supposed to be unreleased or whatever from the set but a standalone promo single, which you get as a download when you preorder the set on iTunes and wherever else. Just an idea but that could be possible...

Underwhelmed to be honest, and I keep thinking back to a poster who described it as Frankenstein-esq or something. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the new centre guitar line has just been dropped on by Slash, I think I prefer the song without it. It sounds like latter day Slash, I.e uninspired. Harsh but the creative greatness hasn’t been around for a while.

The song was better as a demo, and I think Axl sounded better too on the ‘old’ ones.

Shadow Of Your Love has somethin that the whole Chinese Democracy missed. The feeling WHY I am a Guns N' Roses Fan. I don't care it's a old song and i listen alot of Shadow Of Your Love on YouTube and Bootlegs.. It feels fresh, dangerous and brutal.

The video unfortunately is an embarrassment, the release seems somewhat rushed, how can it be acceptable for the video to be basically an Arian Buhler poster zoomed in and out of with the male character moving around like a child’s cardboard cut out game. The video cheapens the band for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ok, so... The new vocals sound quite a bit different imo. Axl isn't as high sounding as he was on the original demos... makes you wonder. Obviously that's a new guitar parts from Slash, and Duff in the beginning ALSO sounds new. Duff didn't sound like that in the 80s. 

Listen for yourself.

Wake up time to play version

Your first video is close to the version, especially if you pitch it down a little. However there are difference s for sure with how some of it is phrased.

It may well be the Clink version as many suspect.

If you cue up the old demo to 1:16  and listen to the   "Stole my changes helplessly" verse,  Axl doesn't sing the word "I" when the lyrics are "I  said yea but I got no regrets"

Then cue up the new single with the lyric video the same part 1:20 and Axl clearly sings the word " I ".  I don't hear that at all one the old demo.

12 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

The video unfortunately is an embarrassment, the release seems somewhat rushed, how can it be acceptable for the video to be basically an Arian Buhler poster zoomed in and out of with the male character moving around like a child’s cardboard cut out game. The video cheapens the band for me.

:lol:

It's a lyric video man, it's purely to build hype about the song, the visual part doesn't mean much. This is the way plenty of bands release new music; lyric video, followed by the actual video about a month later... we'll see if GNR either release a video for SOYL (probably live clips, like the videos for ISE, Dead Horse, LALD) or post a live performance of it from the upcoming European shows, should they play it.

As for the song itself, it's 'neat' I guess. It's interesting to hear another version, but at the same time, it's just another version of a song I've been listening to for years...

Tbh I'm way more excited about the Saskatoon '93 pro-shot bootleg eventually being shared.

• Like 1

In regards to the lyric video, its pretty common for artists to do that before releasing a proper video. Maybe they'll play it live on the next run of dates and compile footage from that....aaand i've just seen the very same thing posted above.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

Occasionally bands make big efforts with unique lyric videos, but 9/10 they are exactly like THIS...
It's NOT a music video guys...
However, perhaps an official video will come yet, if it continues to do well, made up from old days footage.

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2