Appetite for Distortion Ep. 65 - Alan Niven (part 2)

• downzy pinned this topic

29m40s - on the October 10, 1989 show at the Cathouse - "Without question, from that period of time, that Cathouse show had the most incendiary live performance that we filmed to date (...) I can watch the live footage and go "Yeah. Fuck. There it is'. Most people like to talk about the Ritz show and say: 'That's Guns n Roses'. The Ritz show is almost laconic compared to how intense they were at the Cathouse. There was a lot going on and a lot of reasons why that intensity was there"

:headbang:

there is already a thread about the Cathouse October 10, 1989 show (i have just updated it with these fresh Alan quotes) please discuss it right here

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

I thought Brandon was going to faint when he started going on about the mistakes he thought GNR management was making. :lol:  Brandon recovered but what do you do when two groups you like are having a go at each other?  I thought Niven had some good points.  I thought Niven was pretty sincere and very much cares about GNR and everybody involved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cineater said:

I thought Brandon was going to faint when he started going on about the mistakes he thought GNR management was making. :lol:  Brandon recovered but what do you do when two groups you like are having a go at each other?  I thought Niven had some good points.  I thought Niven was pretty sincere and very much cares about GNR and everybody involved.

The AfD podcast is the Switzerland of GN'R 

• Haha 2

I thought the whole Axl ego thing was a bit much.  Back in the day, yeah, but Axl's pretty much has wrestled that asshole to the ground.  Might have a problem holding him down there in regard to this but he's a changed person. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Wow he is dead-on on the box set. Totally nailed it.  

Agree.  Plus his idea for an alternative box set is brilliant: at a theatre (in Harlem I think he suggested?) have the original line-up play AFD in its entirety then release THAT instead of an unnecessary remaster of the original (he gave excellent reasons as to why a remaster of AFD is unnecessary) and then throw in the Marquee gig as your other 'rare' live offering, something I've always wanted. 

He went off on a bit of a rant when talking about ISO video (and monarchy and the British history! lol) and I didn't agree with everything he had to say about the video, but he definitely comes across as a good manager type and someone with good ideas. 

However, his fixation on Axl's astrological star sign, and his paranoia about mentioning the phrase 'devil's advocate' because in his opinion you'd be 'defending the devil' hints at other aspects of his personality that might not be quite as...easy to take.  Still, he's very interesting to listen to.

Great interview @Gambit83.  Really enjoyed it.  Thanks for all your hard work in bringing these interviews to us, it's much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • GNFNR 1

42 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Agree.  Plus his idea for an alternative box set is brilliant: at a theatre (in Harlem I think he suggested?) have the original line-up play AFD in its entirety then release THAT instead of an unnecessary remaster of the original (he gave excellent reasons as to why a remaster of AFD is unnecessary) and then throw in the Marquee gig as your other 'rare' live offering, something I've always wanted. 

He went off on a bit of a rant when talking about ISO video (and monarchy and the British history! lol) and I didn't agree with everything he had to say about the video, but he definitely comes across as a good manager type and someone with good ideas. 

However, his fixation on Axl's astrological star sign, and his paranoia about mentioning the phrase 'devil's advocate' because in his opinion you'd be 'defending the devil' hints at other aspects of his personality that might not be quite as...easy to take.  Still, he's very interesting to listen to.

Great interview @Gambit83.  Really enjoyed it.  Thanks for all your hard work in bringing these interviews to us, it's much appreciated. 

Once he said that Ac/dc id satanic band...he have a devil obsession 👹

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

The critism against Fernando was weak. Fernando is the only manager who was able to make the regrouping actually happen, and the NITL tours have been a massive success. 

Im not a fan of the box set price but there are multiple tiers that fans can choose from. Also, I would suspect many of the box sets will actually sell. Think of all the rich folks who purchase the first 2 rows, and other packages. The market is there. 

I thought the ISE video was great. Axl is the mastermind and the main reason why GNR was the most dangerous band in the world. 

I defended Fernando the best I could without being combative.

• Like 1

Interesting that Alan is responsible for the random b-sides turning up on singles/EPs in foreign releases. I love the Ju Ju Hounds bsides as much as the album itself, and just learnt the other day that "Got Away" was a bside in the UK only, so thanks Alan if you're reading this! :headbang:

Another great podcast Brando, listened to it this afternoon when I was supposed to be working :D Really looking forward to your interview with Jimmy Ashhurst.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, Coma16 said:

The critism against Fernando was weak. Fernando is the only manager who was able to make the regrouping actually happen, and the NITL tours have been a massive success. 

Im not a fan of the box set price but there are multiple tiers that fans can choose from. Also, I would suspect many of the box sets will actually sell. Think of all the rich folks who purchase the first 2 rows, and other packages. The market is there. 

I thought the ISE video was great. Axl is the mastermind and the main reason why GNR was the most dangerous band in the world. 

Fernando cant do shit