CATHOUSE OCTOBER 10, 1989 = "Without question, that Cathouse show had the most incendiary live performance that we filmed"

screen_shot_2018-05-30_at_9.48.06_pm.jpg

"Without question, from that period of time, that Cathouse show had the most incendiary live performance we filmed" - Alan Niven, May 2018, on the Appetite for Distortion podcast

Let's talk about the October 10, 1989 show that Guns n Roses performed at the Cathouse for the video shoot of "Its so Easy"

19891010ticket.jpg

Please check what Alan Niven has just said to @Gambit83 on his brand new May 2018 interview for the Appetite for Destruction podcast

"Without question, from that period of time, that Cathouse show had the most incendiary live performance that we filmed to date. I can watch the live footage and go "Yeah. Fuck. There it is'. Most people like to talk about the Ritz show and say: 'That's Guns n' Roses'. The Ritz show is almost laconic compared to how intense they were at the Cathouse. There was a lot going on at the time and a lot of reasons why that intensity was there"

a32bcc006b0ec32a7799f7d2b3fa0b0f.jpg?res

Are you kidding me?

So now we know for sure that...

#1) Guns n Roses performed a full live show on October 10, 1989, at the Cathouse

#2) This Guns n Roses performance was captured on film. The footage has fantastic quality and, according to someone who was very close to the band, "is the most incendiary live performance from that period of time"

And it is very likely that...

#3) The audio of this Guns n Roses show was recorded professionally in great quality. This is assuming, of course, that the live audio intro of the "Its so Easy" video was in fact recorded on October 10, 1989.

Now... isn't that fantastic news?

Dont you wanna watch what arguably is "the most incendiary live performance filmed from that period of time"?

Will GNR ever release it?

Please discuss...

:headbang:

Noticia_Rock_20180531_GunsNRosesLanzaVid

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

It would have made the most sense if it had been included in the AFD boxset, of course. That would've been a treat. I'm not expecting it after this, but who knows. Never thought I'd ever hear a new GNR single again either, much less that it would be SOYL :lol:

• Like 1

One sad possibility is that they didn't film the gig as a whole - instead filming only bits and fragments and individual shots to be used for the music video.

I can't say for Cathouse exactly but that seems to have been common practice in the 70's and 80's, when filming music videos, as film stocks were (and are) quite expensive.

That being said, I sure hope that they filmed the whole thing and it would surface someday, the quality is amazing and it looks like a wild gig B-)

I especially love the shot of Axl singing and standing staunchly while the audience is tearing his shirt off. They sure were menacing mofos back then!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ludurigan said:

#1) Guns n Roses performed a live show on October 10, 1989, at the Cathouse. It wasnt just a video shoot

how sure are you in this point? I haven't checked the video very thoroughly, so I haven't probably noticed some slight variations in shoots. 

yes, this could be a show and not just a video shoot, but still there's no proof that they played more songs than ISE. or maybe ISE multiple times to have more material to cut.

2 hours ago, zombux said:

how sure are you in this point? I haven't checked the video very thoroughly, so I haven't probably noticed some slight variations in shoots. 

yes, this could be a show and not just a video shoot, but still there's no proof that they played more songs than ISE. or maybe ISE multiple times to have more material to cut.

We can see Axl playing bass while Duff drums. So that would point to at least Rocket Queen being played as well.

I don't see it happening in that, IF it was happening such a release would have made sense with the upcoming AFD rerelease. 

Think it's fair to say they would be completely aware that they have the footage (if they recorded the entire show).

Would be great though the quality is top class!

Not a chance they would ever release this, even if i get your point with the ISE 1080p alternate video. The last "original" line up video release was 26 years ago. They never released the Ritz 1988 even though it should be included in the boxset... Oh well!

That would be incredible.. So much cooler than the box set.. With Slash and Duff back in the mix I am really hoping for some official shows.. Anything From 87, 88, 89, 91 or 93 would be kick ass.. Or one from each year.. Anything!! Other bands release tons of this stuff. The world needs to see how completely amazing they were back in the day. 

• Like 4

I believe it was entirely captured on video as it would take a lot of takes to achieve the kind of edit they did on this video. Plus you can just look at their clothes, sweat and energy... I dont really think they'd put this kind of effort and energy just to do a playback or a one or two takes perform of ISE.

The whole scenario is way too dynamic to just one song. 

My only doubt is if they professionally recorded the audio. 

17 hours ago, lazyyy said:

I can't say for Cathouse exactly but that seems to have been common practice in the 70's and 80's, when filming music videos, as film stocks were (and are) quite expensive

Axl says on the begining of the video that they were expending 130k to record this, even if it was recorded by a high profile entourage, it wouldnt cost this much. It was of course recorded with a great camera, but it wasnt really a professional recording. Its amazing, yeah, but not professional.

18 hours ago, zombux said:

oh yeah 100% sure they played several songs

just watch the video and you will see it (clearly)

the best evidence that they played different songs (and not just played ISE multiple times to have more material to cut) is that there are several shots where Axl is clearly NOT singing Its so Easy

Its very noticeable, very similar to what happens on the "You Could Be Mine" video.

If they had played only multiple takes of "Its so Easy", then whoever edited the video would have made sure to select the shots where Axl is actually singing the exact words to "Its so Easy", right?

After watching the video you will notice that the shots where Axl is clearly singing Its so Easy are the ones where he is using the "bones" black jacket and the ones where he is without a shirt (with the same spiked hair)

All the shots where Axls is using a bandana or a hat he is clearly not singing ISE

===

there is one (more) undeniable proof that they played more songs which is the (very hard to notice) frames at around 2m14s...

Capture2.png

...where Axl is playing bass and Duff is playing drums with Steven. I am 100% sure that those are frames from Rocket Queen since Axl did that (played bass) on the 1989 shows with the Stones during the jam in the middle of Rocket Queen (the Stones dates were 8 days after this as you surely know).

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Moved this to The Jungle. There are tons of proshot GNR shows that will probably never be released. There's no need to have a whole thread in the main section just to discuss (possibly) one of them. 

"one of them"?

seriously?

this is one of the very few shows from the GNR era that was captured on film, isnt it?

the only others that I know of are the shows that they filmed for the "Paradise City" video

please correct me if i am wrong but there is no other known GNR show in a small place with Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven that was captured on film!

13 hours ago, Legendador said:

I'd rather watch the full 88' Giants Stadium pro-shot!

thats the one they shot for Paradise City, right?

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

"one of them"?

seriously?

this is one of the very few shows from the GNR era that was captured on film, isnt it?

the only others that I know of are the shows that they filmed for the "Paradise City" video

please correct me if i am wrong but there is no other known GNR show in a small place with Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven that was captured on film!

We have no idea if knowing what, if any full shows were every filmed but we do know that tons of shows were proshot whether they were on film or videotape. 

On 28/05/2018 at 10:27 PM, RussTCB said:

Moved this to The Jungle. There are tons of proshot GNR shows that will probably never be released. There's no need to have a whole thread in the main section just to discuss (possibly) one of them. 

Hey @RussTCB please check what Alan Niven has just said to @Gambit83 on his brand new May 2018 interview for the Appetite for Destruction podcast

"Without question, from that period of time, that Cathouse show had the most incendiary live performance that we filmed to date. I can watch the live footage and go "Yeah. Fuck. There it is'. Most people like to talk about the Ritz show and say: 'That's Guns n' Roses'. The Ritz show is almost laconic compared to how intense they were at the Cathouse. There was a lot going on at the time and a lot of reasons why that intensity was there"

given this fresh new info (that was previously unavailable), i humbly request you to move this thread back to the main forum? so we can discuss it? thanks mate!

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2018 at 12:02 PM, zombux said:

Alan Niven has just clarified it was indeed a show :headbang:

I have updated the thread with his quote about the show

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Hey @RussTCB please check what Alan Niven has just said to @Gambit83 on his brand new May 2018 interview for the Appetite for Destruction podcast

given this fresh new info (that was previously unavailable), i humbly request you to move this thread back to the main forum? so we can discuss it? thanks mate!

Apologies, I meant to do this earlier today and it slipped my mind. I see what you're saying about this show in particular. I do not ever see GN'R releasing it because, well, they don't seem to want to release anything, but I'm happy to move the topic back to D&N for you :)

• Like 2