Use Your Illusion Box Set?

There is a radio interview from 1991 where Axl said that they had about 56 songs and they picked 30 for the UYI albums. But then he added that they picked the best ideas or something like that, so maybe there were sketches/ideas (something similar to the New Work Tune or The Plague from the AFD sessions) and not complete songs, plus West Arkeen songs (Just Another Sunday, Crash Diet etc.) and Ain't Going Down that didn't make the albums. On the other hand, Slash has said that they had emptied the vault.

A UYI box set could be extended to the post UYI era until 1996. Probably there are mostly sketches there, but still that would make it a big thing.

Edited by Blackstar

I think marc said there wasn't much material left in the vault from the old era. pretty sure he said something like that. the good stuff is already released on afd lies and uyi.

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There is a radio interview from 1991 where Axl said that they had about 56 songs and they picked 30 for the UYI albums. But then he added that they picked the best ideas or something like that, so maybe there were sketches/ideas (something similar to the New Work Tune or The Plague from the AFD sessions) and not complete songs, plus West Arkeen songs (Ain't Going Down, Just Another Sunday, Crash Diet) that didn't make it on the albums. On the other hand, Slash has said that they had emptied the vault.

A UYI box set could be extended to the post UYI era until 1996. Probably there are mostly sketches there, but still that would make it a big thing.

Yep damn straight. I seem to remember interviews with duff where he said the double albums was them cleaning the slate so to speak. But 94 and 96 are the gems i really want to know about.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There is a radio interview from 1991 where Axl said that they had about 56 songs and they picked 30 for the UYI albums. But then he added that they picked the best ideas or something like that, so maybe there were sketches/ideas (something similar to the New Work Tune or The Plague from the AFD sessions) and not complete songs, plus West Arkeen songs (Ain't Going Down, Just Another Sunday, Crash Diet) that didn't make it on the albums. On the other hand, Slash has said that they had emptied the vault.

Don’t forget that Spaguetti was recorded during the same UYI sessions 

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Ah no, TSI was recorded in various studios during the illusions tour

Agree, but we have instrumentals tracks from UYI and TSI recorded in the same DATs, so it means that they started recording TSI songs in the same UYI sessions

19 hours ago, crlk said:

Agree, but we have instrumentals tracks from UYI and TSI recorded in the same DATs, so it means that they started recording TSI songs in the same UYI sessions

Im sure i read on these forums that after the illusions tour slash wanted to do a club/theatre tour and do a short tour of these songs. Pity that never happened.

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im sure i read on these forums that after the illusions tour slash wanted to do a club/theatre tour and do a short tour of these songs. Pity that never happened.

there were also some wild rumors about a secret GNR show in Miami that supposedly happened in early 1994. 

I'll probably get some flak here for this but I haven't really listened to Coma that much as I wasn't into it but I just listened to it again after a long time and I loved it. The lyrics and music are top notch. People say that November Rain is their masterpiece but I think Coma is also a strong contender. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I'll probably get some flak here for this but I haven't really listened to Coma that much as I wasn't into it but I just listened to it again after a long time and I loved it. The lyrics and music are top notch. People say that November Rain is their masterpiece but I think Coma is also a strong contender. 

When I first got into GNR I hated Coma. It was too long, and just went everywhere. After I got into Metallica and Led Zeppelin, I stared to like longer songs. I have it a shot again, and loved it. 

I wonder why people are obsessed with those "boxes", "bonus material" etc... I mean, as someone once said- there's usually a good reason why that "unreleased stuff" wasn't released- it means it wasn't good enough... No way I'm gonna pay for overpriced version of what I already have. I understand if you're a collector, but otherwise- it makes no sense...

3 hours ago, acor said:

I wonder why people are obsessed with those "boxes", "bonus material" etc... I mean, as someone once said- there's usually a good reason why that "unreleased stuff" wasn't released- it means it wasn't good enough... No way I'm gonna pay for overpriced version of what I already have. I understand if you're a collector, but otherwise- it makes no sense...

That's what the band might have thought, that the material is not good enough for the album. But there's always the same chance you're gonna like a song or not whether it was on an album or a b side or unreleased. From my experience with MANY bands I find the bonus tracks to be largely satisfying (especially a band like Oasis who are famous for their B-Sides) and more than once I thought the best track on the album was just a bonus track. Bon Jovi are a band who said they don't even sort what makes the record by quality but what fits the album as a whole, and I think many bands go by that philosophy, GNR went with it too deciding on SCOM over NR or DC. It's mindboggling how wrong bands/labels can be sometimes deciding which songs make a record. And for stuff like demos, rough mixes etc. It's just interesting to hear early versions of songs. Not something I'd regularly listen to but cool to hear nontheless.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

When I first got into GNR I hated Coma. It was too long, and just went everywhere. After I got into Metallica and Led Zeppelin, I stared to like longer songs. I have it a shot again, and loved it. 

cuz all that goes with the whole UYI vibe. those songs are not your regular 3-4min radio hits. those are monsters that need totally different approach. compared to "classic" AFD era songs and some leftovers that ended up on the Illusions, these "brand new" songs like Coma, Locomotive, Breakdown, Estranged, Civil War, but also for example Don't Damn Me, are in fact "progressive". I know it seems stupid, especially to the fans of a real "progressive rock" bands, but in GNR context those are really outstanding :)

• Like 2