Use Your Illusion Box Set?

Done right, CD would have the box set of any album ever. There’s a decade’s worth of outtakes, demos, alt versions, remixes and live shows to choose from. Better artwork options too!

A UYI box set would already have two albums, so that’s a start. Throw in a bonus disc of demos and a Blu-ray of a live show from the vault and another of the tour documentary, job done.

• Like 1

Given how the AFD box deleted the Mamma Kin intro.....I wonder if some of the UYI rants would be edited...like Get In the Ring or shotgun blues...

Would love a UYI set of some kind. 

Love to hear stuff like Crash Diet cleaned up also.

CD set would be great too, the TIL remix makes me wonder what other epic Axl vocal takes exist in the vault.

Some new music would be good too.

11 hours ago, Chunder Monkey said:

Given how the AFD box deleted the Mamma Kin intro.....I wonder if some of the UYI rants would be edited...like Get In the Ring or shotgun blues...

Would love a UYI set of some kind. 

Love to hear stuff like Crash Diet cleaned up also.

CD set would be great too, the TIL remix makes me wonder what other epic Axl vocal takes exist in the vault.

Some new music would be good too.

2 hours ago, zombux said:

yes, it is an edited version.

That's odd it's there on my copy of the Super Deluxe edition, I even re listened to it to be 100% sure :shrugs:

3 hours ago, zombux said:

yes, it is an edited version.

When I listened to the album it was edited out of “Mama Kin” but added to the end of “Move to the City”. It’s not gone completely just moved to the song before it, like the intro to “Whole Lotta Rosie” slapped on to the end of “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door”. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

When I listened to the album it was edited out of “Mama Kin” but added to the end of “Move to the City”. It’s not gone completely just moved to the song before it, like the intro to “Whole Lotta Rosie” slapped on to the end of “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door”. 

Indeed it is, weird they did it that way.

9 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I was confused as well. Why would you put the intro for a song on another song

Probably in order to have the song actually start directly rather than there being some other stuff going on. For someone who isn't fond of the intro (I know I am) or just want to get the song going ASAP, that's the way to go. Doesn't really make sense given the goofy intro to the Sound City MTTC version though. At least be consistent.

3 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

Probably in order to have the song actually start directly rather than there being some other stuff going on. For someone who isn't fond of the intro (I know I am) or just want to get the song going ASAP, that's the way to go. Doesn't really make sense given the goofy intro to the Sound City MTTC version though. At least be consistent.

I feel the same way as well, but then I feel that it diminishes the song before. It makes the other song take longer than it needs to. I think it should be taken out altogether so all of the songs flow better.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, Chester 524 said:

In all honesty I find an illusions box set more intriguing than the one that just came out.  been listening to it since Friday and it's cool and all, but I have heard most of this stuff online already. 

and maybe I'm in the minority, but the remaster appetite album sounds pretty much the same as the one I have owned for 30 yrs.  I'm not a musician, so perhaps im just ignorant to how this is any different than what I already own.  or perhaps I should upgrade my speakers.  

the reason the thought of an illusions box set is more interesting to me is to hear Adler on most of the songs and to hear them less produced as some of what has leaked online from that era has been very cool. 

hope they do it.  hope they don't charge what they did for Friday's release.  I'm not sorry I bought it, but for stuff the real GNR fans have already heard, it should have cost less.  And the diehard GNR fans are mostlikely the only ones who bought this box set.

yea, the entire "re-master" of any CD I pretty much BS!  It all sounds exactly the same.  And I already have every song on it.  I do want it, because they cleaned up all the noise in the bootlegs, at least I hope.  It sounds like it, if they all sound like the NR piano edition.  Sounds better than any version I have

• Like 1

6 hours ago, headshrinker84 said:

They should finally release some of Robert John's behind the scenes tour footage or studio footage. Would love to see stuff like that.

That would be so good, didn't he want to sell it at some point for a ridiculous amount of cash?

On 7/2/2018 at 6:32 AM, Chunder Monkey said:

Oh my God.. I just listened.. What the hell did they do that for? That was a classic intro!!

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Oh my God.. I just listened.. What the hell did they do that for? That was a classic intro!!

Again, it wasn't edited out as in censored. The tracking is different and the intro is in fact at the end of the previous track.

• Like 1

I think they did it all wrong.. The Appetite Re-master should have been just that.  The remastered version with a bonus disc of some live performances from that era like the Marquee and maybe a the sound city sessions of Appetite songs..

Then they could have made a real classic era spanning box set with Appetite, LIES, Illusions, TSI and then have a few discs full of a all the unreleased stuff and alternate versions of songs. Basically all the stuff from disc 4 of the Appetite Box and and then another disc or two of all unreleased illusions tracks and demos.. I think over all that would have been a lot more interesting that the Appetite Box and a lot less monotonous. 

Then they could release the Illusions albums alone remastered and remixed.. A remastered that will stay true to the originals and a remixed that is more raw and ballsy...

3 minutes ago, EvH said:

Again, it wasn't edited out as in censored. The tracking is different and the intro is in fact at the end of the previous track.

Thanks.. Read that after.. Still odd.. Especially in this day and age when people aren't listening to entire albums. I will always have my LIES though!! My second favorite GnR album!!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah sorry I was wrong about that..had just been skipping around listening to random stuff.

Glad it's still there on the track beforehand...it's sort of part of he experience after all these years!

• Like 1

On 2-7-2018 at 12:31 AM, kevinb said:

I think there will be an Illusions Boxset and that will be great.  There are many great demos like 14 Years with extended outro different than the album.  Also, I think you all know that there is a complete and extended Mates Rehearsal audio tape from 1989 with Steven playing drums and the quality is fantastic.  About half of the rehearsal tapes have been posted online, but many songs are NOT circulated with complete versions of Coma, Bad Apples, Ain't Goin' Down, and several "New Tunes", all with Steven on drums, Izzy/Slash/Duff (no Axl, just instrumental).   Don't ask, it's not going to be posted.  It's in the vault for the band to release when they are ready as part of an Illusions set.  But at least we all have something to look forward to... even better I think than just getting more Illusions concert DVD leaks from 91-93 in my opinion...

The version of '14 years' you're referring to is not a demo.  It's a rough mix of an alt. take, recorded during the actual UYI sessions, not a demo or rehearsal session beforehand.  It was circulated by Alan Niven, with other instrumental UYI rough mixes.  This is all common knowledge.

There's also an alt. take of 'You Ain't The First', and 'Pretty Tied Up' without a fade-out, with an extended ending.  These were on the DAT with rough mixes and Q-Sound mixes.  Again, all common knowledge, everyone has these by now.

The Mates rehearsal tape has been around since at least 20 years, it was circulated on cassette by a roadie.  It was a board tape straight off the desk at Mates Rehearsal in LA.  Obviously it's incomplete, everyone knows they didn't just go in there to rehearse only 'Don't Damn Me', 'Garden Of Eden', 'Locomotive' and 'Dust N' Bones'.  They were preparing to record UYI, and would obviously run through all of that material (so no, we don't have 'about half of the rehearsal tapes' like you say), with Steven Adler on drums.  Also, factor in that they didn't just go in there on December 6th 1989 only, they would have rehearsed for weeks/months.  That just happens to be the date of which we have a (partial) tape.  There's bound to be a lot more, some may be lost forever.

This Mates tape wasn't just 'posted online' like you say, it's been around in trading circles for ages.  Everything else you're saying about thoses tapes is pure speculation.  Yes, we know who has more of these rehearsal tapes, some people have heard them and have confirmed their existence, but that's the end of that story for now, until they are circulated.  You have ZERO idea when and if they will ever be released, or if there will ever be a UYI boxset AT ALL.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

actually, this whole "sessions summary topic" made me thinking about the potential UYI boxset. and I actually think it's not such a huge thing. let me explain.

AFD was a result of 2 years in the work, with many sessions, songwriting, demos. many of the demos are available for years, we have quite a nice picture of the whole process

as opposed to UYI sessions, which seem to have been a HUGE mess, but actually it seems most of the songs (if not ALL of them) were recorded kind of during one session, so NOT through multiple demo sessions like AFD.

what made me thinking like this? it seems most of UYI songs were recorded during summer or autumn 1990 - and it looks most of that happened during one BIG BANG. no demo sessions before that, we only know about Mates Rehearsal 1989, I assume there were multiple events like that one, but no real demo sessions like for example Sound City 1986.

indeed there are probably HUNDREDS of DAT tapes from the mixing process, but mostly of the very same tracks. so that wouldn't make sense to include them on some kind of "Sessions disk".

that makes me thinking that there's little to zero chance we would get similar boxset from the UYI era - I'd say much more "alternate stuff" exists from the ChiDem era, but not UYI.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zombux said:

actually, this whole "sessions summary topic" made me thinking about the potential UYI boxset. and I actually think it's not such a huge thing. let me explain.

AFD was a result of 2 years in the work, with many sessions, songwriting, demos. many of the demos are available for years, we have quite a nice picture of the whole process

as opposed to UYI sessions, which seem to have been a HUGE mess, but actually it seems most of the songs (if not ALL of them) were recorded kind of during one session, so NOT through multiple demo sessions like AFD.

what made me thinking like this? it seems most of UYI songs were recorded during summer or autumn 1990 - and it looks most of that happened during one BIG BANG. no demo sessions before that, we only know about Mates Rehearsal 1989, I assume there were multiple events like that one, but no real demo sessions like for example Sound City 1986.

indeed there are probably HUNDREDS of DAT tapes from the mixing process, but mostly of the very same tracks. so that wouldn't make sense to include them on some kind of "Sessions disk".

that makes me thinking that there's little to zero chance we would get similar boxset from the UYI era - I'd say much more "alternate stuff" exists from the ChiDem era, but not UYI.

Also they had what....36 days to lay down the number of tracks which was one or two songs a day and rerecorded same day if the first take was crap. What im saying is that they didnt have much time to fuck around with endless tinkering and arrangements so i doubt theres alot of alternate mixes on some songs.