NY TIMES PODCAST discuss GN'R not including ONE IN A MILLION in the Appetite reissue

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/arts/music/popcast-legacy-erasure-internet-canon.html

fuck it is a bit hard to listen to these guys

i can totally understand a guy like paul stanley describing them as snobs/smart-asses types

they could learn a thing or two with @Gambit83 and Dan Carlin on how to do enjoyable podcasts if you ask me!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3rd most popular track from Lies after Patience and UTLH on Spotify. Actually beats almost all of the UYI songs apart from singles in terms of popularity aswell. Actually quite funny they have such a popular song that they will never play live. Can't think of another band that has this situation, 9~ million streams, never to be heard live again.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I’ve always thought it’s interesting song, I’ve always felt like Axl was singer from the perspective of someone else; despite I’m pretty sure that’s not the origin or view point of the song. It makes you question censorship, what’s right to say, would it be okay to write a song from the perspective of a racist? If you’re exploring their thought processes and view points. What’s appropriate? Etc. 

1 minute ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I’ve always thought it’s interesting song, I’ve always felt like Axl was singer from the perspective of someone else; despite I’m pretty sure that’s not the origin or view point of the song. It makes you question censorship, what’s right to say, would it be okay to write a song from the perspective of a racist? If you’re exploring their thought processes and view points. What’s appropriate? Etc. 

I think artists should be able to do whatever they want. If people don't like it they can always just not look at/hear the art and go on with their life, instead of the artist having to operate within certain boundaries he cannot cross.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

3rd most popular track from Lies after Patience and UTLH on Spotify. Actually beats almost all of the UYI songs apart from singles in terms of popularity aswell. Actually quite funny they have such a popular song that they will never play live. Can't think of another band that has this situation, 9~ million streams, never to be heard live again.

Because the censure to incite always on the people the curiosity.

2 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Because the censure to incite always on the people the curiosity.

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't agree. People will listen to that song once on Youtube or something if they are curious and read about it somewhere. And it hasn't really been talked about much in news or whereever since it's release in 1988, and it was already that popular before the boxset came out. That many fans legitimately enjoy the song and listen to it

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

one of the big attractions to a boxset or a reissue with a bonus disc is getting a song or 2 from the vault. there is nothing special about OIAM in that regard as its been on general sale for 30 years. not including a song like cornshucker baffles me more than not including OIAM 

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't agree. People will listen to that song once on Youtube or something if they are curious and read about it somewhere. And it hasn't really been talked about much in news or whereever since it's release in 1988, and it was already that popular before the boxset came out. That many fans legitimately enjoy the song and listen to it

This song for most of people keep like GNR "dammned" song , i like the melody , but understand too the cause of controversy ,you know why been talked on this NYT podcast❓ i be curious😕

Artist no longer stands behind the work (as far as I know). Therefore see no problem with him pulling it back from present/future releases like this one. Still widely available so not like it’s been whitewashed or anything...

BTW- total “damned if you do- damned if you don’t” situation. If included- there would be other podcasts shredding Axl for re-releasing it in “this climate”, etc.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have to agree with @ludurigan this time :P

I listened to the first few minutes of it and I gave up. They're really annoying.

And why they're bothered with the omission of a song, that, as they say, they can't play on their podcast because of what it is?

Very hipocryte......

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you listen to Lies via the Appetite deluxe you'll merely receive an incomplete ''album experience''. 

Exactly. And why is it necessarily the deluxe addition of one studio album (Appetite)’s responsibility to provide the complete experience to another studio album (Lies)? I wouldn’t expect that at all...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Draguns said:

Don't forget that Slash wasn't too thrilled with the OIAM since he had family members who were ticked off with him. 

I never understood why he even agreed to do it in the first place. Most of the other guys criticised the song after the fact, but they could have simply refused to play on it. Simple as that.

And then, how did it get past the label, especially considering Geffen himself is gay? Surely they would have said, "Hey, why not put that new Move To The City on there instead, or finish this New Work Tune demo? Hey, that Cornshucker is pretty nifty."

Out of all the times Axl did something a bit shitty, they chose to indulge him on this, of all things? I've just always found it a bit odd.

I grow up during that time and here is my take on it. Not saying it makes it right or anything just how things where then.

I love OIAM! But not because people find it offensive because I just like the song. Have you ever liked a song and never really thought about the lyrics, I do all the time 

Yes I get it OIAM some would find OIAM offensive but it has been blown way out of per portion.

ISE is a very offensive song to say the least (love the song by the way but not because it's offensive) and music from that era there where so many songs that a woman could find offensive but they still play them every day on the radio and in concerts. 

Up until the past decade and a half if you where different whether immigrant, different sexual preferences even dress funning or whatever, alot of people had the attitude, If they didn't look or act so different people wouldn't treat them the way they do. 

You look at the time it was released if it wasn't GNR or some other mainstream act it wouldn't even be talked about then much less now. 

You have many many people of the same race referring to each other in that way. OIAM is shit compared to alot of rap songs as far as the use of one word.

Even though it was starting to change when OIAM was released it was still how most thought.

I say art is art and should be left up to the artist(s) how they want to present it.  If there is backlash they need to address it and if the artists views change about it and they want to change it or whatever then it's up to them.

32 minutes ago, bigcountry said:

I grow up during that time and here is my take on it. Not saying it makes it right or anything just how things where then.

I love OIAM! But not because people find it offensive because I just like the song. Have you ever liked a song and never really thought about the lyrics, I do all the time 

Yes I get it OIAM some would find OIAM offensive but it has been blown way out of per portion.

ISE is a very offensive song to say the least (love the song by the way but not because it's offensive) and music from that era there where so many songs that a woman could find offensive but they still play them every day on the radio and in concerts. 

Up until the past decade and a half if you where different whether immigrant, different sexual preferences even dress funning or whatever, alot of people had the attitude, If they didn't look or act so different people wouldn't treat them the way they do. 

You look at the time it was released if it wasn't GNR or some other mainstream act it wouldn't even be talked about then much less now. 

You have many many people of the same race referring to each other in that way. OIAM is shit compared to alot of rap songs as far as the use of one word.

Even though it was starting to change when OIAM was released it was still how most thought.

I say art is art and should be left up to the artist(s) how they want to present it.  If there is backlash they need to address it and if the artists views change about it and they want to change it or whatever then it's up to them.

If I'm understanding you correctly people of the same race doing it is not at all the same thing. But I don't think this is really the place for this type of discussion, haha. 

• Like 1