Guns N' Roses rehearsal 2002 VMA

Thank you for the effort and attempt.

As sad as it is... after all these years us diehards really have to realize that the band doesn't care about fans in any big way. We need to continue to love the music if we want, but not expect much else. Ultimately, the music is the important piece anyway. What's sad is that I kind of expect something from Slash or Duff as they used to seem pretty responsive to fans - perhaps the reunion has strings tied to it that limits what they can do with the public.

Personally, the NITL shows are not doing much for me... I don't see the chemistry on the stage anymore. I continue to prefer older stuff... so unless they end up releasing new music, I'll attempt to come to terms with the reality that my favorite band doesn't give a shit about any of us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

DsVUVVb.gif

not gonna be a popular opinion but i also think 2006 was the 2nd best time for GNR/Axl. The 2000s in general were great for GNR (live wise), realistically 2006 axl could match up to 90s axl

Edited by marunic
  • Like 3

CDChiDemRedHand34.JPG

Despite the opening paragraph about the album not being made for himself and it being made in an effort to raise awareness of the likes of Riad, I feel the last paragraph beginning with "This is how I spent my summer" rings more true, at least for the songs that made the final album. There are still songs about political/social issues such as the title track, Riad, and Maddy, but we also know that Oklahoma/Berlin, The General and perhaps others would have been more in that vein than, say, ballads like Better and TWAT.

The whole thing was an attempt at some kind of catharsis for Axl, but I don't think he really got that catharsis until he spoke with Slash in 2015. I think, besides money, that may have been a reason he went for the reunion over releasing a the second part of Chinese that he seemed to be working on with Pitman in 2014 and 2015 for a potential 2016 release.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wagszilla said:

I agree with this.

I still have questions about the concept of the album, however.  

Was it what Axl intended it to be? Did he miss the mark artistically? Did the record company dilute the message via the track list and leaks?

But at the end of the day, I find it to have personal revelations but an incomprehensible political message or criticism. 

The essay in the middle is far more interesting in that respect. 

I think the leaks influenced the track listing, in that it made sense to release songs that were already "out there". We know Axl wasn't that keen on having This I Love on ChiDem, or at least the first part of it, and that Atlas almost made it on there. On the other hand, Axl talks about the track listing not being random in an interview after its release (can't find the quote now).

On another note, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the inclusion of The Flat Earth Society among suggested charities in the Red Hand and Grenade booklets. Was it a joke or is Axl actually serious about that stuff?

I enjoyed to 2002-06 era. It seemed more organic. The shows were actually "shows" - Axl's banter was entertaining, and part of the adrenaline of whether or not he will show up, whether or not he would throw a tirade, or start a riot was kind of enjoyable in some sick, twisted way. It all seems manufactured. It seems like a bunch of employees doing their "job." Don't get me wrong, the shows have been pretty solid for the most part, despite Axl not being his best vocally, but there's just something off about it. It's hard to compare eras - you're never gonna have the illusions era again. I just think you're looking at a bunch of guys cashing in on a huge opportunity. 

I don't blame the band one bit for cashing in on opportunity. I think most of us would do the same. I don't consider Axl or anyone "sellouts." They're just doing what's right by them and their loved ones. 

I just think the excitement of this "NITL" tour wore off rather quickly. 

Might be a product of modern technology. Nowadays it is impossible to prevent bootlegs. Everyone has a high def recording device in their pocket, so you're getting the shows real time. Back in 02-06, you had to wait hours - sometimes days, weeks or months for even low quality clips. The thrill of actually going to the shows was something more that doesn't exist anymore - but I guess that can apply to any live act.

Maybe I'm just a cantankerous old man... lol

53 minutes ago, Amir said:

Despite the opening paragraph about the album not being made for himself and it being made in an effort to raise awareness of the likes of Riad, I feel the last paragraph beginning with "This is how I spent my summer" rings more true, at least for the songs that made the final album. There are still songs about political/social issues such as the title track, Riad, and Maddy, but we also know that Oklahoma/Berlin, The General and perhaps others would have been more in that vein than, say, ballads like Better and TWAT.

I've taken "This is how I spent my summer" as not being literal (as in the summer of 2008), but as a kind of (self) ironic metaphor for the time it took for the album to be released.

22 minutes ago, Amir said:

On another note, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the inclusion of The Flat Earth Society among suggested charities in the Red Hand and Grenade booklets. Was it a joke or is Axl actually serious about that stuff?

Joke is my guess. I mean, Axl is known for believing in some weird stuff, but I don't think this is one of them :lol:

10 hours ago, marunic said:

Tbh watching the old 2002 clips, i miss all the rants and shit

He’s so out of breath in this recording. That entire tour Axl felt like he was gasping for air, but he did have some epic screams. 

Also loved the rants and his general crowd engagement.  NITL-Axl feels like a hostage in some way.  Was there even 1 rant on this 2016/2018 tour?

The “This is how I spent my summer” is supposed to evoke a sense of a kid writing about their summer for a project at school, I think. Isn’t that a common thing in schools in the US, to write about how you spent your summer? As in, those wilderness years for Axl are kind of like an extended bizarre summer vacation.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Also loved the rants and his general crowd engagement.  NITL-Axl feels like a hostage in some way.  Was there even 1 rant on this 2016/2018 tour?

I think Axl hasn't really ever ranted on stage since 2002 (with the exception of a couple of times in 2006), has he? After 2010 it's been just a few words or little stories between songs that can't be considered "rants".

He has told some short stories (about songs mainly) during the NITL tour.

Edited by Blackstar

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Axl hasn't really ever ranted on stage since 2002 (with the exception of a couple of times in 2006), has he? After 2010 it's been just a few words or little stories between songs that can't be considered "rants".

He has told some short stories (about songs mainly) during the NITL tour.

I wonder if that is a sign of a more mentally stable Axl?  At least in the Illusion days it seemed like a lot of his rants were him getting his own personal demons out there - and his 2002 rants were filled with his unresolved feelings towards Slash and the old band lol

Considering how he said the last few years have been great when he was on Kimmel in 2012, to me I can see how a mentally happier Axl means less stuff to rant about

13 minutes ago, History2010 said:

Axl talked to us a lot in St. Louis. That was a fuckin awesome show and the vibe was great. 

Dude I was there. The whole story about the meat locker and the FBI was pretty fuckin funny. Best show I've ever been to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Dude I was there. The whole story about the meat locker and the FBI was pretty fuckin funny. Best show I've ever been to

It was an amazing memory. I still slightly prefer the KC show I went to in 2016, but I will always cherish both shows. I still keep my ticket on my desk.

FoC2vJk.jpg

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, History2010 said:

It was an amazing memory. I still slightly prefer the KC show I went to in 2016, but I will always cherish both shows. I still keep my ticket on my desk.

FoC2vJk.jpg

Nice! I framed all of my tickets and my floor wristband from STL. The only one missing is Chicago 1 from 2016. Can't remember where I put it. 

20180814_075150.jpg

• Like 2

On August 12, 2018 at 9:39 PM, Amir said:

This is all so sad. If there is a single human being on this earth who would pay $10,000 for that I pity them. Even if I were a billionaire I wouldn't waste my time or money on this.

I'd pay like $10 tops and the only reason would be to leak it to people that want it. I just don't get the mass appeal

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 1:29 PM, NeonKinight said:

I was thinkin' about usin' it as a coin in further tradings/negotiations. 
But thanks to some lameass leaker (and many thanks to GNRSudamerica) Now we lost another good coin.

Good for you, buddy. Good for you.

Yes.

But I guess everything is pretty blown up now. 

for 1 Grand you could have bough the whole 40 minutes at one time and now its 10 Grand talk about inflation