This day 1989- Don Henley fills in for Steven atthe AMA's

Or was Adler dope-sick? The performances is fairly medicated in general, isnt it? I guess this kinda punctuates why Adler was fired - the band seems entirely strung out on junk but at least they made it to the stage.

To me its not a very good performance, I like the 92 electric version with a distorted guitar solo better. Doesnt seem like Henley got a rehearsal with them. And likely the electric arrangement wasnt very fleshed out anyways at that point. Henley is playing 'four on the floor' and not locking with many of Duffs accents.

Love that Tobacco Burst Paul! I think that was the Joe Perry one that he eventually gave back to Joe?

Edited by soon

Jesus I am getting old.......Was this the same award show that Slash and Duff accepted an award and said "Thanks for making it all fucking happen here in LA"?  I remember my local ABC station ran an apology the next day for the "perverse and foul language".  LOL, if it wasn't this show, it was around this time.  Back on topic, wasn't it Don that gave Axl advice about fighting back with the record company?  Maybe that's where it all went wrong

3 minutes ago, smeagol2124 said:

Jesus I am getting old.......Was this the same award show that Slash and Duff accepted an award and said "Thanks for making it all fucking happen here in LA"?  I remember my local ABC station ran an apology the next day for the "perverse and foul language".  LOL, if it wasn't this show, it was around this time.  Back on topic, wasn't it Don that gave Axl advice about fighting back with the record company?  Maybe that's where it all went wrong

January 1990 is when Slash n Duff spoke and were jacked upon something/everything.   AMA's 1990. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smeagol2124 said:

Back on topic, wasn't it Don that gave Axl advice about fighting back with the record company?  Maybe that's where it all went wrong

I dont know, but that reminds me of Niven telling that during the record contract renegotiation that it came up that Henley had a clause in his contract that said he was to be the highest paid artist on the Label. So Niven agreed that every time Geffen paid out to Guns, Niven would give a dollar to Henleys account.

Ive heard Niv tell the tale in an audio interview but I cant find it. It's talked about briefly toward the end of this thread. Also mentions what you said about the advice:

Edited by soon

20 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

To think, what would have happened if rehab had worked for Steven. No stroke, he at least stays in the band. Maybe all 5 of them together, makes it hard for Axl to overtake the band? Who knows. Wish I had a time machine

What would you do with said time machine? :lol:

10 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

What would you do with said time machine? :lol:

I would have went and saw them play at the Paradise in Boston. Appetite tour.. Under 1000 people!!!

2 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

3. Turn Jason Newsteds bass up on ...And Justice for All

Noooo!!! That album sound perfect, bass or no bass ;)

5 hours ago, soon said:

Or was Adler dope-sick? The performances is fairly medicated in general, isnt it? I guess this kinda punctuates why Adler was fired - the band seems entirely strung out on junk but at least they made it to the stage.

To me its not a very good performance, I like the 92 electric version with a distorted guitar solo better. Doesnt seem like Henley got a rehearsal with them. And likely the electric arrangement wasnt very fleshed out anyways at that point. Henley is playing 'four on the floor' and not locking with many of Duffs accents.

Love that Tobacco Burst Paul! I think that was the Joe Perry one that he eventually gave back to Joe?

I agree, it wasn't a very good performance but it was damn interesting. I thought Axl saved it with his impassioned vocals on the last stanza. Slash was kind of hanging on for dear life.  It was funny when Axl tried to thank Henley at the end and got cut off, everybody was walking off.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

They'd have been better off going drumless, just as it is with the studio version.

This was probably Henley's way of thanking Axl for his guest vocal on Henley's 'End Of The Innocence' album, which would be released a few months after this performance

I wish you could hear more of Axl on "I Will Not Go Quietly". Good song though. 

Regarding Patience, I always liked this version. 

13 hours ago, soon said:

obviously henley didnt lock with anything

he is just keeping the time, keeping the most basic beat to move the song along

its like listening to GNR playing to the most basic drum beat from a kid's keyboard

if anything, it accentuates the brilliance of the rest of the band, specially izzy, slash and axl

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

...as a bass player I detest that sir! ...And Justice for Jason sounds brilliant

Hmm - the only problem with the fan-made versions is that they overdo the bass and it doesn’t sound great IMO. You may know this but on the Deluxe version if you hear the rough mix version of the album the bass is very audible - the only drawback is the odd missing vocal/solo overdub. But at least at a point it was considered the level they wanted.

On January 30, 2019 at 4:58 PM, lame ass security said:

I agree, it wasn't a very good performance but it was damn interesting. I thought Axl saved it with his impassioned vocals on the last stanza. Slash was kind of hanging on for dear life.  It was funny when Axl tried to thank Henley at the end and got cut off, everybody was walking off.

I agree Axl saved it. Yeah, Axl showed a lot of patience lol

It's a pretty good performance considering the circumstances. I remember an interview with Henley talking about how he had minimal rehearsal time to get ready for it.

If anyone likes biographies, watch The History of the Eagles on Netflix. It's 3-hours long but well worth it. I hope one day we can get an official biography for GN'R that the actual members can put together

3 hours ago, RJ88 said:

It's a pretty good performance considering the circumstances. I remember an interview with Henley talking about how he had minimal rehearsal time to get ready for it.

If anyone likes biographies, watch The History of the Eagles on Netflix. It's 3-hours long but well worth it. I hope one day we can get an official biography for GN'R that the actual members can put together

Totally, that Eagles doc is fantastic.  I just can't see Guns doing something like that but they've surprised before.