2 million posts

lame ass security

8 hours ago, downzy said:

The only source of funding for this place is Google Adsense so the only way I could keep it operating was to do the heavy lifting and sift through all the old posts and remove content that violated Adsense terms.  So we have to play ball with Adsense and work with our host provider to make this whole thing work. 

Not that I understand Google Adsense, but what could possibly violate terms? It's just words on typed on the internet right? Is conservatism considered hate speech? lol. Just curious.

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

Not that I understand Google Adsense, but what could possibly violate terms? It's just words on typed on the internet right? Is conservatism considered hate speech? lol. Just curious.

Almost always it's graphic content (nude shots).  The problem before was that the previous owner ignored all the warnings that Adsense sent.  It resulted in the site being flagged, which meant that every time we removed the violating content Google would do another search and find more nudie pics.  We decided to remove all the old posts to a closed section of the forum and bring back smaller sections at time organize by year (which became Yesterdays in the Archives).  That way Google restored our account and we could address violations one year at a time.  

Funnily enough, graphic images results in Adsense shutting down our account for the whole site; yet, for copyrighted material that gets reported (can only guess who that might be), it limits the suspension to that particular page.  So that's why you usually won't see ads in the Download section because it's been reported for having copyrighted material (even though all of it has been removed).  Not a huge deal since it's such a small section of the forum.  But funny how Google treats graphical content with far more severity than copyrighted material.  

18 hours ago, downzy said:

Almost always it's graphic content (nude shots).  The problem before was that the previous owner ignored all the warnings that Adsense sent.  It resulted in the site being flagged, which meant that every time we removed the violating content Google would do another search and find more nudie pics.  We decided to remove all the old posts to a closed section of the forum and bring back smaller sections at time organize by year (which became Yesterdays in the Archives).  That way Google restored our account and we could address violations one year at a time. 

Ah I see. That explains the yesterdays archives. Can't remember ever seeing nude pics, but that's probably due to good monitoring here. Thanks.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, Len Cnut said:

Yeah I'm sure some of those have fuckin' 20,000 at least, I'm probably the forums  highest poster :lol:  Says a lot for my fuckin' life eh? :lol:

Yep.  You are easily #1 between all your accounts.  I remember one of your first accounts where you had some sort of coke-head/maniac shtick going for a while.   What was the name of that one?  :lol:

5 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Let's be real, @wasted is probably 30% of the posts here :lol:

It's actually just over 2,5%. But that's seriously a LOT! 

Edit: But if you sum up some people's multiple accounts over the years, he might not even have the highest postcount. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Len Cnut when did you originally join? Why so many accounts, slut?

2003 I think.  Maybe 04.  I got banned a couple of times.  Actually I think I just got banned the once.  It was always clear it was me with each account though :lol:  It might've actually been a couple of bans.  A couple of em I could be forgiven for cuz I remember like I couldn't log into one and a mod or something said look just make another account...and that one wouldn't work...and then I got banned for alt accounts, or wait, suspended I think.  After the first two they've all had the running theme of having the name Len in some manner in the handle so its clear who was being referred to.  frankwhite was one, after Notorious BIG/Christopher Walkens character in King of NY.  Marina was another (Thunderbirds was on TV at the time :lol:), my names are all really quite stupid and taken kinda instantly from whatever was on TV in front of me or a song or something.  sugaraylen, Len Cnut, Len B'stard, Lennie Godber, thats a boxer, a sitcom character, another sitcom character and yet another sitcom character :lol:  I actually can't remember my first accounts name, it totally escapes me right now, it was some sort of reference to Sid Vicious though, not him personally but some kinda character in his life, fuck knows.  I have such a terrible memory!

I was known around here for long pointless fuckin' arguments about bullshit, great big long rambling posts I swear to God.  There was this one thread, and I swear to God this fuckin' thing must've gone on for....like...a million fuckin' pages all arguing over who was better, Nirvana or Guns n Roses :lol:  It was like a fuckin' geeks war of attrition that thing, primarily me and some similar idiot though if i recall others joined in.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I was known around here for long pointless fuckin' arguments about bullshit, great big long rambling posts I swear to God. 

You weren't the only one doing that though. :lol: 

Warchild was easily the worst when it came to that. 

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wonder how long the forum will last? How long all of us will be here? In the end we should probably have the forum records preserved in a time capsule. 

Good questions, ones that I think about often.  At some point, when the drop in activity warrants it, the forum will be converted into a read-only website.  Hopefully Google or somebody will archive/catalogue everything on the web, so if one day my children or ancestors no longer wish to pay for hosting costs there will be an alternative somewhere.  

Then again, are we kind of kidding ourselves that anyone in the distant future will care enough to wade through all of this?  

There's actually some really sharp fuckers on here, Dies' for example, that cunt could give you a detailed rundown of the history of the fuckin' planet.  Wasted, that guy should be some kind of a fuckin' writer...which he is already I guess.  McLeod is funny as fuck.  My brother posts on here on and off and he says its like...an oddity in the field of forums in that its basically full of all nice people...and when you think about it it is innit?  I mean in a world full of online bullying (a laughable concept to me but it fucks with some people) and like...the general fuckin' know it all arrogance on the internet they are sort of all nice folk around here.  Quite odd for a Guns n Roses forum I think, you'd sort of expect people to be cunts around here :lol:  I suppose I don't much venture into the main forum, perhaps they're all a bunch of know alls there but here in Anything Goes and the film and music sections everyones really nice. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

There's actually some really sharp fuckers on here, Dies' for example, that cunt could give you a detailed rundown of the history of the fuckin' planet.  Wasted, that guy should be some kind of a fuckin' writer...which he is already I guess.  McLeod is funny as fuck.  My brother posts on here on and off and he says its like...an oddity in the field of forums in that its basically full of all nice people...and when you think about it it is innit?  I mean in a world full of online bullying (a laughable concept to me but it fucks with some people) and like...the general fuckin' know it all arrogance on the internet they are sort of all nice folk around here.  Quite odd for a Guns n Roses forum I think, you'd sort of expect people to be cunts around here :lol:  I suppose I don't much venture into the main forum, perhaps they're all a bunch of know alls there but here in Anything Goes and the film and music sections everyones really nice. 

100 percent agree.  And thanks for the compliments.  It should be noted that this community is not free of bullying by accident.  It takes a lot of work and some thick skin by our moderators and admins (past and present) to ensure that the tone and attitude of this place facilitates the kind of dialogue and exchanges that most people would enjoy participating in.  Some don't like the fact that they can't be assholes, and so those people don't usually last long.  Thankfully there are other places on the web for those people who want to shit on everyone and everything, but they're no place I'd waste my time on.  

• Like 1

I've had a great time with you guys.  Met some really nice people through the GNR community.  Thanks for participating and hanging around, always "down for good conversation" and the occasional what the fuck is going on here, lol.  It's been entertaining.

Er, I've done the mod thing, couldn't pay me to do that again.  Thank you to the folks who do that.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

When does a forum become an addiction? It's a sincere question, I'm not trying to embarrass anyone, but I can't help but think about that sometimes. I see it also on other bands' forums, there are always a group of posters whose post count seem to go through the roof and always seem to be posting when I log on, and I realize there is nothing wrong with that, it's better than sniffing glue or whatever, but I guess moderation is the key to everything whether it's drinking, video games, forums or whatever. I suppose it's also different for everyone. 

26 minutes ago, EvanG said:

When does a forum become an addiction? It's a sincere question, I'm not trying to embarrass anyone, but I can't help but think about that sometimes. I see it also on other bands' forums, there are always a group of posters whose post count seem to go through the roof and always seem to be posting when I log on, and I realize there is nothing wrong with that, it's better than sniffing glue or whatever, but I guess moderation is the key to everything whether it's drinking, video games, forums or whatever. I suppose it's also different for everyone. 

Addiction is characterised by something you do repetitively that impedes your ability to function in normal life, thats how they lay it out in counselling for drug, or sex or whatever addiction.  So like, say you're addicted to jelly babies, if you eat nothing but jelly babies til you're morbidly obese and can't move, or you're so addicted to sex that you're too busy fuckin' to show up to work.  When it gets in the way of your life and stops you living a normal life basically.  Thats the textbook definition.

So a forum I presume becomes an addiction where, for example, you're like 'fuck going to work this week, I'm gonna post about GnR' or you ain't fucked your wife in 6 months cuz you're too busy on the forum and she falls asleep waiting.

Edited by Len Cnut

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Addiction is characterised by something you do repetitively that impedes your ability to function in normal life, thats how they lay it out in counselling for drug, or sex or whatever addiction.  So like, say you're addicted to jelly babies, if you eat nothing but jelly babies til you're morbidly obese and can't move, or you're so addicted to sex that you're too busy fuckin' to show up to work.  When it gets in the way of your life and stops you living a normal life basically.  Thats the textbook definition.

So a forum I presume becomes an addiction where, for example, you're like 'fuck going to work this week, I'm gonna post about GnR' or you ain't fucked your wife in 6 months cuz you're too busy on the forum and she falls asleep waiting.

I sometimes don't know if you're serious or not, but I suppose that makes sense, but there are also a lot of fuctional alcoholics that live the same life as they would have while being sober, but they're still addicted to booze. 

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

This is a really lovely song, thanks for posting. And a quick google search told me that she's still alive at 101 years of age. Impressive!

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think a lot of posters come here after work as a way to unwind, or they've put the kids to bed, etc. Also TV is what many use to relax in the evening, however because of Sky+, Tivo and Netflix and so on, you can watch anything when you want so you can instead log on to the forum for a chat or moan. I know if i'm not on here or out somewhere i'd be sat on my arse watching crap TV :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

100 percent agree.  And thanks for the compliments.  It should be noted that this community is not free of bullying by accident.  It takes a lot of work and some thick skin by our moderators and admins (past and present) to ensure that the tone and attitude of this place facilitates the kind of dialogue and exchanges that most people would enjoy participating in.  Some don't like the fact that they can't be assholes, and so those people don't usually last long.  Thankfully there are other places on the web for those people who want to shit on everyone and everything, but they're no place I'd waste my time on.  

Got to agree with this. I've always enjoyed coming here but I think it's now better than it's ever been. Really nice group of people and really well moderated. Even when @janrichmond shouts at me. :lol:

I joined in November 2002! :o Fuck me that's terrifying!  

Edited by Dazey
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2