Rumors of Izzy & Steven returning?

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

He didn't last time either :shrugs:

Funny thing is, when it was Axl N' Strangers, he went all over the place with them show after show to do like 2/3 songs a night.

Axl and Izzy goes way back, I assume they still like each other. And despite the late starts, newGNR from 2009 was a quite professional machine.

Axl said he resented (my word) the size of the monetary deal Izzy struck with management for those appearances. Like why would that bother you?? Enough to comment to the press which you hardly ever do about anything. He really views it as a meritocratic business enterprise -- his prerogative. Count those coins. Sucks, though. 

Edited by Ant

4 hours ago, Ant said:

Axl said he resented (my word) the size of the monetary deal Izzy struck with management for those appearances. Like why would that bother you?? Enough to comment to the press which you hardly ever do about anything. He really views it as a meritocratic business enterprise -- his prerogative. Count those coins. Sucks, though. 

This isn't exactly what Axl said. He said (paraphrasing) that Izzy had called management to negotiate his fees for those appearances, which Axl didn't know from the beginning, and when he heard about it later, he was a bit put off by it. I don't know why he was annoyed by Izzy taking care of his business and what he expected him to do or if he expected him to play for free; maybe he was just bothered because he didn't know about this, and/or because what had happened in the past, when Izzy left and then with the 1993 shows. 

Then, iirc he joked from the stage with Izzy present, that "Izzy is expensive". It didn't sound like resentment, it was just a joke. I don't remember now if he made that comment in an interview, too.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This isn't exactly what Axl said. He said (paraphrasing) that Izzy had called management to negotiate his fees for those appearances, which Axl didn't know from the beginning, and when he heard about it later, he was a bit put off by it. I don't know why he was annoyed by Izzy taking care of his business and what he expected him to do or if he expected him to play for free; maybe he was just bothered because he didn't know about this, and/or because what had happened in the past, when Izzy left and then with the 1993 shows. 

Then, iirc he joked from the stage with Izzy present, that "Izzy is expensive". It didn't sound like resentment, it was just a joke. I don't remember now if he made that comment in an interview, too.

The way I took it was that Axl thought Izzy was playing with him because he wanted to, because of their friendship, etc, so he was hurt to find out Izzy demanded more money at the last minute and was likely only doing it because they gave it to him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, moreblack said:

Before Velvet Revolver got started, Slash and Duff and Matt were jamming with Izzy and as soon as they started looking for a singer is he flaked on them. I wonder if that's something that might have played into the fact that Duff n' slash didn't seem that bothered with Izzy not being there.

geezus a lot of twisting the truth here 

izzy wanted to be the lead singer which wouldve worked fine 

they said no

he left 

get your story straight!! 

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Axl sounded straight up terrible at the Troubadour show.

yes thats why chris brown left after 2 songs

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Who's to say they didn't treat them with respect? There's two sides to this and it's not just Evil Axl or Team Brazil, Izzy and Adler weren't deal breakers for Slash or Duff either.

oh i can only imagine fernando being a very respectful dude when it comes to the nitty gritty 

flying all the way to argentina for 1 song was pure class 

• Like 1

Surely those shows that Izzy played in 2006 show how little he is actually needed (commercially, not creatively)? 

His appearance did nothing for ticket sales, and while great for people like us, went largely unnoticed by most people. 

The truth, as unpalatable as it might seem, is that 99% of a GNR crowd now are unaware of even who Izzy is, let alone whether he is on stage or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

oh i can only imagine fernando being a very respectful dude when it comes to the nitty gritty 

flying all the way to argentina for 1 song was pure class 

First off, they didn't have to fly Adler anywhere. He's not in the band. Also, because he's not in the band, he doesn't get to play the bulk of the setlist, Argentina or not. Also, he only played 1 song because he showed up the wrong night and expected them to just let him play anyway since he was there. So why not just let him play 2 songs on both nights? Because Adler is the type of personality that'll whine and demand and if you give him what he wants he'll never stop whining and demanding.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

He's also Axl's guy. He was with Axl through Chinese and they built a relationship up. Axl has a big heart. Aren't there stories around of him not firing people because he knows they have a family or something? Feel that's how it kind of is with Frank. Franks done nothing wrong, there's no reason to get rid of him. Fans may be split on his drumming but Axl likes him so he's staying

Then Axl might as well employ one of his random friends or neighbours.  50% of them would probably do job no worse than Frank. Random banging, often misshit in almost every song, like the poster said hollow, no personality or any interaction with crowd or band members...

Do you have Fernando's #?  

Just asking... ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

Then Axl might as well employ one of his random friends or neighbours.  50% of them would probably do job no worse than Frank. Random banging, often misshit in almost every song, like the poster said hollow, no personality or any interaction with crowd or band members...

Do you have Fernando's #?  

Just asking... ;)

you're not wrong... wish I had his number would love to talk to him about why they do 1/2 the things they do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

First off, they didn't have to fly Adler anywhere. He's not in the band. Also, because he's not in the band, he doesn't get to play the bulk of the setlist, Argentina or not. Also, he only played 1 song because he showed up the wrong night and expected them to just let him play anyway since he was there. So why not just let him play 2 songs on both nights? Because Adler is the type of personality that'll whine and demand and if you give him what he wants he'll never stop whining and demanding.

tell me who's in the band : its duff axl slash frank fortus and melissa right? so did they invite adler for a guest spot or not? your acting like they never invited him 1 song or 2 songs its still a guest spot - they shouldn't have invited him then at all if they can't stand him 

as for him being a whiner if im not mistaken he was the one that volunteered to give axl an additional 5% because axl was the one whining and pouting about himself deserving more 

with your axl boy logic you would take GNR to great new heights 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

So I dunno what people are going on about on this forum, but when I saw a NITL show over in California when they came around a couple years ago I distinctly remember people in the audience asking about the other members of GNR and I’ve definitely heard casual fans comment about how it’s not a true reunion cause it’s not the original five up there. My uncle talks about it all the time as he’s a huge rock fan and they’ve talked about it several times on my local classic rock radio station 107.7 the bone. So it’s definitely out there that people want the original guys and not just half of them, I’ve heard tons of jokes about it being only half of GNR so hopefully maybe the band itself has heard these things and considered reuniting fully. Sure it’s a big deal that Slash and Axl are back together but I bet that’s finally starting to wear off and people aren’t going to be so inclined to spend so much money on seeing just half a reunion. I mean shit look at how many people paid good money to see Motley Crue’s last couple of tours even though Vince Neil sounds worse than axl by a mile. People are just hungry for a good rock band and there’s not much out there.

Edited by RockerRoller
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Izzy wasn't even advertised. There was literally nothing for GNR as a business to gain from his appearances. So, yeah, I'm sure when Axl found out after the fact how much Izzy demanded for his three-song appearance, he was a little surprised. My impression of it was Axl just thought Izzy was showing up to jam, like an old friend would. Of course there'd be cash tossed his way either way.

And the thing is, I'm not sure they' would have even wanted to advertise an Izzy appearance back then because Axl said that they never really knew if he'd show up or not.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RockerRoller said:

So I dunno what people are going on about on this forum, but when I saw a NITL show over in California when they came around a couple years ago I distinctly remember people in the audience asking about the other members of GNR and I’ve definitely heard casual fans comment about how it’s not a true reunion cause it’s not the original five up there. My uncle talks about it all the time as he’s a huge rock fan and they’ve talked about it several times on my local classic rock radio station 107.7 the bone. So it’s definitely out there that people want the original guys and not just half of them, I’ve heard tons of jokes about it being only half of GNR so hopefully maybe the band itself has heard these things and considered reuniting fully. Sure it’s a big deal that Slash and Axl are back together but I bet that’s finally starting to wear off and people aren’t going to be so inclined to spend so much money on seeing just half a reunion. I mean shit look at how many people paid good money to see Motley Crue’s last couple of tours even though Vince Neil sounds worse than axl by a mile. People are just hungry for a good rock band and there’s not much out there.

It's irrelevant though really - if a local classic rock radio station talks about it, your uncle who's a huge rock fan - it makes no odds. The fact of the matter is that his presence there makes no difference to the bottom line; the amount of tickets sold/money generated. As mentioned above, a lot of people at these shows would struggle to know more than half of AFD. They couldn't care less if Izzy is there or not.

At this stage the presence of Izzy would make no difference at all to how many tickets they sell (as shown in 2006) . Same with Adler.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's irrelevant though really - if a local classic rock radio station talks about it, your uncle who's a huge rock fan - it makes no odds. The fact of the matter is that his presence there makes no difference to the bottom line; the amount of tickets sold/money generated. As mentioned above, a lot of people at these shows would struggle to know more than half of AFD. They couldn't care less if Izzy is there or not.

At this stage the presence of Izzy would make no difference at all to how many tickets they sell (as shown in 2006) . Same with Adler.   

Agreed.  would love Izzy to be there. But in terms of mainstream appeal, I can guarantee some folks confuse Fortus for Izzy. He was never on the celebrity status of Axl and Slash, who were the two faces of the band.

• Like 2

Gents you guys are forgetting the effect of having the entire classic incarnation there will result in having superior musical output from all. Musically the NITL is bad - you got slash carrying the entire thing on his shoulders and the others playing out of tune or too fast or not in rhythm. Not only that - but you got one of the last bands whom all original band members are still alive. It's like resurrecting john bonham for led zeppelin or jim morrison for the doors, freddie mercury coming back to life for queen- There are no legend bands left with all members alive. WTF ARE THEY THINKING!  If you really think they are charging a lot now, guarantee they can charge a bit more with the classic era. Axl will make more money and that's all he needs to know to be convinced! 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

tell me who's in the band : its duff axl slash frank fortus and melissa right? so did they invite adler for a guest spot or not? your acting like they never invited him 1 song or 2 songs its still a guest spot - they shouldn't have invited him then at all if they can't stand him 

as for him being a whiner if im not mistaken he was the one that volunteered to give axl an additional 5% because axl was the one whining and pouting about himself deserving more 

with your axl boy logic you would take GNR to great new heights 

I didn't say they didn't invite him. Of course they invited him. People who aren't in the band - and Adler's not in the band - don't get to play with the band unless they're invited by the band to do it. Of course it was a guest spot, because, again, he's not in the band so he's playing as a guest. Guests invited to play with a band typically don't get to play whenever or for however long they feel like it because, once again, they're not in the band. They invited him to play one night, he showed up the wrong night, started whining to play anyway since he was already there, and when they accommodated him, he whined they didn't accommodate him enough. Just like he whines they don't let him play more songs, whined they threw him out of the band, whined when they don't want to hang out with him and whines when they criticize him. Rather than be happy they give him these opportunities that are 100% for him and not because it matters to their bottom line at all, he whines. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

you got slash carrying the entire thing on his shoulders and the others playing out of tune or too fast or not in rhythm. 

Slash has certainly carried these shows.. Without him it would be abysmal and he doesn't even sound his best over this band.. Not even close.. His playing with SMKC has been much better both before and after the NITL shows.. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

If you really think they are charging a lot now, guarantee they can charge a bit more with the classic era. Axl will make more money and that's all he needs to know to be convinced! 

Now you're reaching a bit... according to you, all that matters to Axl is money. Just throw money at him, lots of money, and all will be well ? Please... If that was the case, I'm pretty sure we'd have seen reunion way earlier than we did. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

As for him being a whiner if im not mistaken he was the one that volunteered to give axl an additional 5% because axl was the one whining and pouting about himself deserving more

Needless to say, that is not how Axl remembers it. In addition, Steven's recollection of how it went down doesn't make much sense. 

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Surely those shows that Izzy played in 2006 show how little he is actually needed (commercially, not creatively)? 

His appearance did nothing for ticket sales, and while great for people like us, went largely unnoticed by most people. 

The truth, as unpalatable as it might seem, is that 99% of a GNR crowd now are unaware of even who Izzy is, let alone whether he is on stage or not.

Surprise appearances usually don't do anything for ticket sales on account of not being promoted ahead of time. I don't believe any of his appearances with NuGuns were promoted ahead of time.