Rumors of Izzy & Steven returning?

I wouldn't expect Fortus to have to sit back & watch Izzy perform. I'd like to see him share a stage with Izzy, he's done it before. Fortus has been touring & a member for Guns for like 20 years, he's been far more committed to GNR than some original members. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

imagine how slash feels 

he's probably like fuck... 

He's probably just happy Axl was willing to drop the nasty fight after so many years. Slash now has a divorce situation from recent years, so I would imagine he is very happy to be making some big time cash with GN'R to help offset the financial losses from his divorce. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ant said:

I don’t like to hate on Fortus as he always seemed like the most legit member of NuGNR... but he hams it up! Whirling dervish karate-chop strum hambonin’. I don’t like when Slash goes auto-pilot shred, but Fortus does it too and with his fingerpicking... it’s just that much worse. 

Whenever you watch Fortus on YouTube taking about gear or his tone preferences... the stuff he says always sounds on point, but I don’t see it on stage with GNR. 

What happened to just groovin’, baby. Let’s groove tonight. 

Every GNR fan owes it to themself to track down and listen to the Izzy channel of the 5.1 AFD mix. It’s truly a master class in less is more, tasteful guitar.

agreed 

Fortus does not become a team or band player when he is on stage. He noodles and overplays basically ruining songs. He chooses not to compliment slash at all but to come up with his own take on the songs. Exactly the same problem as Frank except with Fortus he actually has the capacity to not do it but he does it anywways because he thinks hes' a GNR star. I think he's arrogant and his playing and masquerading on stage shows it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

I wouldn't expect Fortus to have to sit back & watch Izzy perform. I'd like to see him share a stage with Izzy, he's done it before. Fortus has been touring & a member for Guns for like 20 years, he's been far more committed to GNR than some original members. 

When I listen to AFD through high quality headphones, it sure sounds to me like there are parts with 3 guitars.  For example, during the SCOM solo, at least my non-musically trained ears, hear the solo, the bass line and two rhythm guitar parts that don't sound like something that could come out of a single guitar.

I don't know if Melissa fills that in with synth guitar now or they just leave it out of the live performance.

Edited by Gnrcane
typo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

Exactly. Would you rather have someone who is reliable and shown to be a consistent dedicated employee or partner for 20 years or  a founder who walked out on the company 30 years ago and has seldom  been performing or seen since. I would take the first one. Same thing with GNR. Yes Izzy was a huge part of gnr and incredibly important for the first 5+ years and helped write the hits but what has he done since 1993. People thought Gilby was Izzy when he first joined same thing with 4tus. The General Public only cares about Slash and Axl plus  Duff thats who 90 percent of the general public wants to see. Its always been where is Slash? Or no GNR without Slash but when he comes back nobody is satisfied for very long. 

Besides the reason its Slash and Duff came back is because the band did not have a guitar player or a bass player when Tommy and DJ+Bumblefoot Left. If 4tus and Frank both left the band I can see Izzy coming back part time and maybe Matt ,   

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Exactly. Would you rather have someone who is reliable and shown to be a consistent dedicated employee or partner for 20 years or  a founder who walked out on the company 30 years ago and has seldom  been performing or seen since. I would take the first one. Same thing with GNR. Yes Izzy was a huge part of gnr and incredibly important for the first 5+ years and helped write the hits but what has he done since 1993. People thought Gilby was Izzy when he first joined same thing with 4tus. The General Public only cares about Slash and Axl plus  Duff thats who 90 percent of the general public wants to see. Its always been where is Slash? Or no GNR without Slash but when he comes back nobody is satisfied for very long. 

Besides the reason its Slash and Duff came back is because the band did not have a guitar player or a bass player when Tommy and DJ+Bumblefoot Left. If 4tus and Frank both left the band I can see Izzy coming back part time and maybe Matt ,   

I think more Slash and Axl.  If Gene Simmons put on a blonde wig and played bass for GNR, I doubt 75% of the audience would notice the difference.

Edited by Gnrcane
typo
  • Like 1

Highly doubt it. Maybe an appearance?? If it didn't happen between 2016-2018 I don't see what has changed since. If anything guns have doubled down on their position on regard to Izzy, and Kay the blame (if you want to call it that) for his lack of involvement at his door.

Would be nice, but it's far from crucial, to me at least! I'd much rather they put the fucking tour to bed and make this record. Thing about touring is it's almost certainly disappointing! Axl weak out of the gate, and likely the same stage show, setlist and everything in between. Anyway... Maybe we get a record for the end of next year🤣

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

He's probably just happy Axl was willing to drop the nasty fight after so many years. Slash now has a divorce situation from recent years, so I would imagine he is very happy to be making some big time cash with GN'R to help offset the financial losses from his divorce. 

And he still has to pay perla money!.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

:facepalm:

Haha... I love it. It seems like such a genuine consideration, yet it says everything about NITL. 

Anyway... I feel like a hater so I’m gonna ease off the gas. Axl you're fucking great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Slash sold his soul... It seems as though he traded in a bit of integrity for a butt load of cash..

Because he didn't refuse to come back without Izzy or Adler? Maybe Slash doesn't feel Izzy is entitled to the money he wanted or doesn't care about or trust Adler enough to insist he be there?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl was never interested in reuniting with Izzy and Steven. I think the current line up is exactly what he wants it to be. I just wish that Axl respected the history of the band more and the people that made it so great to begin with not to mention the hardcore fans by giving Izzy and Steven a chance to be a real part of it.

I like your whole post! I think the mending of fences is genuine and really great. I think that’s why the Adler treatment and the lack of Izzy stings all the more. Get Adler for a couple songs every show if it’s really a health or reliability issue. I think it’s shitty to characterize him as a whiner... his whole life is AFD, man. He’s had a rough fucking ride. The smile on that dudes face behind the kit... Slash wouldn’t be playing guitar if it wasn’t for him. They’re childhood besties! Clearly whatever they’re paying him is fine with him. And if Slash and Duff aren’t into that along with Axl that’s wack of them! But somehow I doubt that’s the case.

Just seems like pettiness. Especially if they’re going to not release any new music. If it’s a nostalgia act than don’t try and pretend otherwise. Embrace the history as you say! Sorum and ‘ole Scarves, too (Gilby). It’d make the 3 hour shows way more compelling.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ant said:

I don’t like to hate on Fortus as he always seemed like the most legit member of NuGNR... but he hams it up! Whirling dervish karate-chop strum hambonin’. I don’t like when Slash goes auto-pilot shred, but Fortus does it too and with his fingerpicking... it’s just that much worse. 

Whenever you watch Fortus on YouTube taking about gear or his tone preferences... the stuff he says always sounds on point, but I don’t see it on stage with GNR. 

What happened to just groovin’, baby. Let’s groove tonight. 

Every GNR fan owes it to themself to track down and listen to the Izzy channel of the 5.1 AFD mix. It’s truly a master class in less is more, tasteful guitar.

3 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

agreed 

Fortus does not become a team or band player when he is on stage. He noodles and overplays basically ruining songs. He chooses not to compliment slash at all but to come up with his own take on the songs. Exactly the same problem as Frank except with Fortus he actually has the capacity to not do it but he does it anywways because he thinks hes' a GNR star. I think he's arrogant and his playing and masquerading on stage shows it. 

I agree too. He just showboats instead of staying in his lane like Gilby did and Frank Sidoris does in SMKC. Both of them complement Slash's playing and aren't trying to steal the show. Even 4tus running around the stage is kind of irritating.

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

When I listen to AFD through high quality headphones, it sure sounds to me like there are parts with 3 guitars.  For example, during the SCOM solo, at least my non-musically trained ears, hear the solo, the bass line and two rhythm guitar parts that don't sound like something that could come out of a single guitar.

I don't know if Melissa fills that in with synth guitar now or they just leave it out of the live performance.

Yeah because the solo was overdubbed in after the rhythm tracks, just like almost every rock album before or since. There's not three people playing guitar at the same time then.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ant said:

I like your whole post! I think the mending of fences is genuine and really great. I think that’s why the Adler treatment and the lack of Izzy stings all the more. Get Adler for a couple songs every show if it’s really a health or reliability issue. I think it’s shitty to characterize him as a whiner... his whole life is AFD, man. He’s had a rough fucking ride. The smile on that dudes face behind the kit... Slash wouldn’t be playing guitar if it wasn’t for him. They’re childhood besties! Clearly whatever they’re paying him is fine with him. And if Slash and Duff aren’t into that along with Axl that’s wack of them! But somehow I doubt that’s the case.

Just seems like pettiness. Especially if they’re going to not release any new music. If it’s a nostalgia act than don’t try and pretend otherwise. Embrace the history as you say! Sorum and ‘ole Scarves, too (Gilby). It’d make the 3 hour shows way more compelling.

How is it pettiness? They threw him out of the band 30 years ago. Maybe they just don't like him or care about him enough to bend over backwards to include him in this? They let him play some shows and afterward he's on the radio complaining they didn't let him play enough. They don't think they can rely on him and I don't think they particularly want to be around him every day either. 

Izzy's different. I think they all like and respect Izzy but if he will only do it for an amount of money he's not entitled to, why is it on them to accommodate that? Why can't he be the one that's reasonable for the sake of getting back together?

6 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Izzy's different. I think they all like and respect Izzy but if he will only do it for an amount of money he's not entitled to, why is it on them to accommodate that? Why can't he be the one that's reasonable for the sake of getting back together?

And I mean, everyone complaining about it still went to the shows. Oh no they weren't gonna miss those.

3 minutes ago, moreblack said:

And I mean, everyone complaining about it still went to the shows. Oh no they weren't gonna miss those.

That's the thing. There's really no scenario where it makes sense or is reasonable to give Izzy whatever he wanted. 

At some point would be awesome if the AFD 5 did a brief run of shows in some place like London (so you can broadcast back into the US at a reasonable hour) around New Year’s for a TON of $$$. Play Appetite in full. Put it on PPV (or equivalent), and offer it as a bd/cd. Print money. If they’re gonna get maximum $$$ for the “novelty” of having the 5 of them up there... that seems the only approach that might actually work IMHO.

Don’t have high hopes for any kind of full-blown AFD 5 Tour though. I think the wheels would come off quick...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

How is it pettiness? They threw him out of the band 30 years ago. Maybe they just don't like him or care about him enough to bend over backwards to include him in this? They let him play some shows and afterward he's on the radio complaining they didn't let him play enough. They don't think they can rely on him and I don't think they particularly want to be around him every day either. 

They threw him out for being a junkie... problem solved. He can play, he’s cheap, he’s an essential part of AFD’s sound, he’s great to fans and NITL is a shameless nostalgia show. Slash doesn’t want Steven around? Or Duff? We don’t know! Doubt it myself but nobody knows.

If he’s vocally chomping at the bit to play and posting videos constantly showing how he keeps up his chops, I don’t see how reliability is an issue as a supplemental guest for most dates. I think it’s petty to give him just a taste when a little more would be a universe of difference for him, his fans and the history/legacy of the band.

You don’t have a very romantic view of GNR :). Izzy doesn’t deserve equal money, says right here on this document. Frank is a better employee, he never clocks in late. Great. Welcome to the jungle — hit it Melissa! 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2